Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think this is an overly simplistic point of view. First of all, there's really no reason adults can't enjoy Ninjago as much as any other theme. 

Perhaps more importantly, there are plenty of kids' animated movies that manage to thrive without relying on adult audiences. Pokémon: The First Movie, for example, was critically panned in the US but still made $31 million in its opening weekend. 

I really don't think there is any reason for adults to ENJOY Ninjago or the like. I mean if you look at children's shows and IPs with adult appeal they always have a reason for adults to like them. From SpongeBob to Avatar The Last Airbender. Either there's story depth, hidden adult humor, whatever. Ninjago doesn't really do well on that stuff. 

As for Pokemon. That is not a kid's thing. It's an everyone thing. Go into a college the day a Pokemon game is released and you'll see half the people playing it ;). Go into work and you might see that too lol. The point is some things have stuff that DRAWS adults. Pokemon included. Ninjago and the other LEGO-specifc IP's generally simply don't have anything to even draw adults.

And when we talk about sales we aren't just talking about AFOLs but parents of kids who like Lego. They need a similar draw too to be willing to take their kids. Most parents probably looked at The LEGO Movie and thought "Neat! Lego!" but they look at the Ninjago movie and with the LEGO in smaller print might think "what the heck is a Ninjago?". 

I'm simplifying yes, but I'm also on a forum and don't have the energy to go into that much depth. :P

Rotten Tomatoes can go jump off into the infinite abyss of nothingness. I hate them so much! 

I do think that LEGO is worried. But I also think that they know they had to get the sequel right whether or not LBM or LNM were a success. People loved the first one and just slapping the word 2 or sequel onto it will get those people back. I'm excited to see the sequel even if Ninjago wasn't the greatest! 

I personally love the LBM more because it didn't have any real ties to the real world. Don't get me wrong I love that TLM had that twist. I just like that we got a LEGO story with no twist and no over abundance of real world elements like Ninjago did. 

11 hours ago, BrickG said:

I really don't think there is any reason for adults to ENJOY Ninjago or the like. I mean if you look at children's shows and IPs with adult appeal they always have a reason for adults to like them. From SpongeBob to Avatar The Last Airbender. Either there's story depth, hidden adult humor, whatever. Ninjago doesn't really do well on that stuff. 

As for Pokemon. That is not a kid's thing. It's an everyone thing. Go into a college the day a Pokemon game is released and you'll see half the people playing it ;). Go into work and you might see that too lol. The point is some things have stuff that DRAWS adults. Pokemon included. Ninjago and the other LEGO-specifc IP's generally simply don't have anything to even draw adults.

And when we talk about sales we aren't just talking about AFOLs but parents of kids who like Lego. They need a similar draw too to be willing to take their kids. Most parents probably looked at The LEGO Movie and thought "Neat! Lego!" but they look at the Ninjago movie and with the LEGO in smaller print might think "what the heck is a Ninjago?". 

I'm simplifying yes, but I'm also on a forum and don't have the energy to go into that much depth. :P

Pokémon is an "everyone thing" NOW, but only because it's been around long enough that many of the kids who grew up loving it are now adults themselves. Back in 1999 when the first movie actually came out, it was very definitely a "kid's thing" that adults, for the most part, simply didn't get. The critical reviews for the first movie (which are hilarious to read in hindsight) reflect this abject cluelessness on the part of adults. Not only did they often have the same "what the heck is a Pokeyman?" reaction as you describe with Ninjago, but many of them didn't even have an adequate frame of reference with which to compare it — whereas Ninjago, in the very least, immediately invites comparisons to nostalgia-steeped 80s and 90s brands like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers. People act as if The LEGO Ninjago Movie's 50-some-percent score on Rotten Tomatoes is bad, but Pokémon: The First Movie has a Rotten Tomatoes score of just 14%! The fact that Pokémon was so beloved back then (and remains so now) is entirely due to how many fans were profoundly impacted by it as kids, and certainly not due to any meaningful degree of adult appeal it had in its early years.

Ninjago doesn't do a whole lot with "hidden adult humor", but again, it has way more story depth than you're giving it credit for. My brother and I have been Ninjago fans since we were 20 years old, shortly after it first came out. Over that time I've seen its story and sets become increasingly sophisticated and elaborate, despite still being primarily kid-targeted. And I'm hardly the only adult enjoying the Ninjago storyline — the Ninjago TV show discussion topic here on Eurobricks is 160 pages long!

Edited by Aanchir

On 28/09/2017 at 4:12 AM, Ashnflash said:

I do think that LEGO is worried. But I also think that they know they had to get the sequel right whether or not LBM or LNM were a success. People loved the first one and just slapping the word 2 or sequel onto it will get those people back. I'm excited to see the sequel even if Ninjago wasn't the greatest! 

I expect the sequel will throw in a lot more IPs. Ghostbusters and The Simpsons perhaps - there was Milhouse's brief cameo in the first movie, maybe we might see a more extended one from Homer Simpson?

7 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I expect the sequel will throw in a lot more IPs. Ghostbusters and The Simpsons perhaps - there was Milhouse's brief cameo in the first movie, maybe we might see a more extended one from Homer Simpson?

Maybe? I don't really expect much more than the sorts of quick cameos we got before, though. There's only so much winking and nodding you could do before it could start to overwhelm the actual narrative.

I would be curious whether there's any chance of seeing any other Disney-licensed characters in the next movie. We got a Star Wars cameo in the last one, but that was in the works since before the Disney buyout. And The Lego Batman Movie didn't have any Disney-owned characters among its gallery of villains, despite some clear evidence in concept art that some might have been considered. Among other things, it could be fun to get an Iron Man cameo, given Batman's stated feelings about him... :tongue:

51 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Maybe? I don't really expect much more than the sorts of quick cameos we got before, though. There's only so much winking and nodding you could do before it could start to overwhelm the actual narrative.

I would be curious whether there's any chance of seeing any other Disney-licensed characters in the next movie. We got a Star Wars cameo in the last one, but that was in the works since before the Disney buyout. And The Lego Batman Movie didn't have any Disney-owned characters among its gallery of villains, despite some clear evidence in concept art that some might have been considered. Among other things, it could be fun to get an Iron Man cameo, given Batman's stated feelings about him... :tongue:

I could imagine them blaming one another for being a direct copy! 

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

There should be standalone The LEGO Disney Movie where would be only Disney cameos, so they might not break the licences.

Around what time in 2018 would you guys expect WB to release the official synopsis and new casting announcements for the sequel? Any plausible guesses?

On 10/3/2017 at 1:25 PM, Pop Star c o said:

There should be standalone The LEGO Disney Movie where would be only Disney cameos, so they might not break the licences.

If there ever was a Lego movie focused primarily on Disney properties (Marvel and Star Wars included), I'd best guess it would be completely non-canon and different from WB's cinematic universe, kind of like Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Or, WB and Disney strike an agreement to share Disney characters to become a part of WB cinematic universe movies with no charges or royalties under the condition that Disney takes all profits from any cinematic Lego movies focused on their properties, much like the Disney/Sony Spider-Man deal.

Honestly though, I think the only Lego we'll ever see in any Disney movies will be as cameos in films such as the Toy Story franchise and potential Wreck-It-Ralph sequels.

I think they should push back this movie (again)

I feel this is too soon after Batman Movie/Ninjago

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Hasn't it already been pushed to 2019? If a one-and-a-half year break since the last LEGO movie (and a FIVE-year break since the movie it's actually a sequel to) isn't enough buffer time for it to succeed, then more time probably won't help it any. That would be like if Marvel had delayed all of their movies from this year and the first half of next year to November 2018 or later so they wouldn't be too hot on the heels of "Captain America: Civil War" and "Doctor Strange".

16 hours ago, Robert8 said:

If anything, I think they probably should push back The Billion Brick Race to February 2020, as that installment is slatted for May 24th of 2019, only three months after The Lego Movie's sequel.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:13 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

If anything, I think they probably should push back The Billion Brick Race to February 2020, as that installment is slatted for May 24th of 2019, only three months after The Lego Movie's sequel.

Considering how little we've heard about that one whatsoever, I would hardly consider that particular release date set in stone. It could realistically get pushed back or even wind up cancelled entirely in the year and a half between now and the purported release date.

12 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Considering how little we've heard about that one whatsoever, I would hardly consider that particular release date set in stone. It could realistically get pushed back or even wind up cancelled entirely in the year and a half between now and the purported release date.

I definitely could see any one of those two scenarios happening sometime next year, though I'd be quite disappointed if the latter one happened. :sad:

If the film gets pushed back to 2020, good, at least we would have an open slot for some other CMS for then. But, I do wonder how far along TLG had come with designing sets and products for the movie, if any progress at all that is.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:45 PM, Lyichir said:

if a set included both minifigures and mini-dolls

What a terrible day that would be.  I'd prefer some Duplo pieces than minidolls.

I'm very excited to see the movie, though.  I won't mind seeing the minidolls in the film, as I expect there will be some interesting interactions between the minifigures of the son and the minidolls of the daughter.  I believe we will see some sort of Spaceship(!) leave the basement and venture into the respective children's domains.  Also, the idea of seeing the aftermath of the Duplo invasion is intriguing.

14 hours ago, x105Black said:

What a terrible day that would be.  I'd prefer some Duplo pieces than minidolls.

I don't see why. If nothing else, mini-dolls are more compatible with regular minifigures (using the same hair and accessories, for starters). They're also intended for a much more similar audience, at least in terms of building level. Granted, it could also be cool to get Duplo parts in a regular set (it's happened only once before as far as I'm aware).

Actually, come to think of it, a small part of me wonders if the Lego Friends redesigns might be meant (at least partially) to be in preparation for the Lego Movie Sequel.

14 hours ago, x105Black said:

I believe we will see some sort of Spaceship(!) leave the basement and venture into the respective children's domains.

Given that the sequel has been described as a "Space Action Musical", and that the gang would indeed be venturing upwards out from the basement (into to heavens, so to speak) to rescue Batman from Finn's sister's bedroom, that sounds just about right. It will be interesting to see how the main floor of Finn's house will be portrayed/seen from a minifigure's perspective.

23 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Actually, come to think of it, a small part of me wonders if the Lego Friends redesigns might be meant (at least partially) to be in preparation for the Lego Movie Sequel.

This is exactly what I was speculating could be the case less than two weeks ago! Perhaps their appearances could be reflective of voice actresses WB has yet to announce?

On 25. 12. 2017 at 6:08 PM, Lyichir said:

I don't see why. If nothing else, mini-dolls are more compatible with regular minifigures (using the same hair and accessories, for starters). They're also intended for a much more similar audience, at least in terms of building level. Granted, it could also be cool to get Duplo parts in a regular set (it's happened only once before as far as I'm aware).

It would be amazing if a minifigure fell in love with some minidoll. I wonder what could be born if they put together.:wink:

On 19/01/2018 at 12:18 PM, Pop Star c o said:

It would be amazing if a minifigure fell in love with some minidoll. I wonder what could be born if they put together.:wink:

Little Bo Peep from the Toy Story franchise would be the new-born child.

Screen Rant - LEGO Movie 2 Co-Writer Pokes Fun At Ready Player One

There’s a certain movie coming out w/ a bunch of famous characters from different movies & TV shows & games that all interact in the same shared universe, and let me tell you, it is AWESOME.
Yep, THE LEGO MOVIE 2 is coming this February.

2 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Yep, THE LEGO MOVIE 2 is coming this February.

No, it's coming next February.

I think it's implied that it's February 2019 since, ya know, we already passed February this year.

I'm wondering if Chris's promotion of the sequel in relation to Ready Player One may mean there's a teaser trailer right around the corner.

Back in late March 2016, we got our first teaser for The Lego Batman Movie attached to Batman v. Superman releasing around the same week. So, being a major tentpole film releasing around the same time of year, perhaps we'll see our first teaser for the sequel next week attached to Ready Player One? It'd be around the same distance of time TLBM had between its first teaser trailer and its theatrical release after all. 

Can't believe how close it is now

We are probably going to be discussing the first leaks in just a couple of months

5 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

We are probably going to be discussing the first leaks in just a couple of months

It won't be long now until someone starts the set discussion topic. :moar:

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Can't believe how close it is now

Did they finish rewriting the script in the end? I know Chris Pratt confirmed (I forget where) he received a copy, but that was before they brought Lord and Miller back on board.