Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

14 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Benny anh his spaceship were pretty popular, so I wouldn't be surprised if there will a bigger classic space set in this film. Like a space base or something

That's possible. They considered featuring a space base in The LEGO Movie but it ended up getting cut, along with some other concepts like Metalbeard's home port. It wouldn't surprise me if ideas like that found their way into the sequel.

Kind of not really related to this. But I just watched Trolls and it was a pretty good movie! I'm really looking forward to that guy directing this and seeing what he brings to the table! 

Edited by Ashnflash

So Chris Pratt has been going around on the GOTG 2 press junkets and a lot of people are asking about Jurassic World 2 and TLM 2.

Here's the interesting quotes: 

"The first movie is a very difficult movie to create a sequel to," Pratt explained to io9. "Because, as all the best movies do, it paints itself into a corner. Especially by tearing down the fourth wall in the final act. That’s a major jump, so they’ve got some really awesome ideas on how to deal with that and I can’t wait for people to see it."

"I’ve done some work on it but we really haven’t done the bulk of the work yet." Pratt revealed. "I’m about to get the newest draft of the script and really dive into it in about two weeks. I’ve got my major record in about two weeks."

The newer animation style adopted by TLBM and TLNM, that uses a sort of freeform, joint less minifigure animation, is not that bad. At least it is not that lazy TT Games style animation. But I hope TLM2 stays with its initial stiffer animation style like the first film for consistency.

On 4/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, Ashnflash said:

So Chris Pratt has been going around on the GOTG 2 press junkets and a lot of people are asking about Jurassic World 2 and TLM 2.

Here's the interesting quotes: 

"The first movie is a very difficult movie to create a sequel to," Pratt explained to io9. "Because, as all the best movies do, it paints itself into a corner. Especially by tearing down the fourth wall in the final act. That’s a major jump, so they’ve got some really awesome ideas on how to deal with that and I can’t wait for people to see it."

"I’ve done some work on it but we really haven’t done the bulk of the work yet." Pratt revealed. "I’m about to get the newest draft of the script and really dive into it in about two weeks. I’ve got my major record in about two weeks."

http://screenrant.com/lego-movie-2-original-ending-will-ferrell-fourth-wall/

I've shared this article on the 2017 Sci-Fi Discussion thread, since the article speculates that Chris McKay's "space" comments about TLM2 make actually be referring to the "fourth wall" element mentioned by Chris Pratt above. If true, this would be very unfortunate for those hoping for the initially theorised "space" sequel.

Perhaps this should be a separate topic, so please make it one if so, but I would like to ask for speculative/wishful discussion...

What themes would you like to see represented, make a presence, or made more prevalent The Lego Movie sequel?

If we were take their statements at face value, we can presume the sequel will have a heavy space presence, after Chris McKay described TLM2 as a "action space musical".

So what are your thoughts, opinions, and hopes for this subject? :classic:

On 6/14/2017 at 10:49 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps this should be a separate topic, so please make it one if so, but I would like to ask for speculative/wishful discussion...

What themes would you like to see represented, make a presence, or made more prevalent The Lego Movie sequel?

If we were take their statements at face value, we can presume the sequel will have a heavy space presence, after Chris McKay described TLM2 as a "action space musical".

So what are your thoughts, opinions, and hopes for this subject? :classic:

I think that if the sequel continues with the metanarrative of Finn and his family (and I hope it does, since that was one of the aspects of the original that elevated it to an all-time great), Finn's sister will probably have aged out of Duplo and into themes like Friends and Elves by that point. Those were sorely missing from the original, so I'm eager to see them. I'd also love to see greater representation of Bionicle, even if that theme has been cancelled.

I would also hope that some of the characters introduced in The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie will get more time to shine, particularly Robin, since his dynamic with Batman is too good to not continue developing.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think that if the sequel continues with the metanarrative of Finn and his family (and I hope it does, since that was one of the aspects of the original that elevated it to an all-time great), Finn's sister will probably have aged out of Duplo and into themes like Friends and Elves by that point. Those were sorely missing from the original, so I'm eager to see them. I'd also love to see greater representation of Bionicle, even if that theme has been cancelled.

I would also hope that some of the characters introduced in The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie will get more time to shine, particularly Robin, since his dynamic with Batman is too good to not continue developing.

You mentioned Finn's sister and it reminded me of a detail tidbit about the sequel given by PL and CM back in February 2015, regarding the dystopian element of the plot and the introduction of Emmet's sister. I wonder if these elements have survived the script rewrite in July last year?

Back in Nov. 2014, they also said in a interview regarding the sequel that there will be more female characters introduced; so unless this has also changed with the rewrite, maybe we may see some minidoll characters. The only thing is, minidolls have hardly any animatable poseablity, unless they adopt a jointless movement style like TLBM or TLNM.

Now I'm definitely expecting characters introduced in the two above mentioned films to make at least minor returning appearances, particularly Robin, and at least one of the ninjas. As far as Bionicle goes, the theme has to have some more significant reference or cameo since it plays such a large role in the Lego Group's history. Maybe their darker tone could play nicely with the dystopian element in the film. :shrug_oh_well:

It'd be cool to have a BIONICLE side character do some stuff, but it would be a good bit to have a Galidor character as well.

Plot summary from a Variety article:

"After assuring that the most popular characters would return he warned, “Everyone has changed except for Emmett.” The musical film will spoof the damsel in distress trope after Will Arnett’s Lego Batman is hijacked to Finn’s sister’s room and Emmett (Chris Pratt), must once again save the day."

Sounds great!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/warner-animation-group-allison-abbate-much-better-annecy-1202469035/

Its sounds a lot like Toy Story stuff

And Batman again????

The guy just got his own movie.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Its sounds a lot like Toy Story stuff

And Batman again????

The guy just got his own movie.

Well he was a big part of the original, so it makes sense.

1 hour ago, GentlemanJoker said:

Well he was a big part of the original, so it makes sense.

Yeah, I know. But I didn't want him to play such a pivotal role in the sequel

Well, let's see what happens

5 hours ago, GentlemanJoker said:

"After assuring that the most popular characters would return he warned, “Everyone has changed except for Emmett.” The musical film will spoof the damsel in distress trope after Will Arnett’s Lego Batman is hijacked to Finn’s sister’s room and Emmett (Chris Pratt), must once again save the day."

Sounds great!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/warner-animation-group-allison-abbate-much-better-annecy-1202469035/

Interesting, so Finn's sister has her own Lego setup in her own room, not the basement. So I guess the "space" factor described by Chris McKay must be emblematic of traveling "upstairs" (a.k.a. upwards into space :wacko:). Batman would DEFINITELY not enjoy being amongst a girl's Lego collection. :laugh:

Perhaps some members of the Justice League (if not the whole gang) will join Emmet in his rescue mission.

Hmmmmm I don't know how I feel about that. What would the heart of the story be? I'm calling it now - learning how to share your toys :tongue:

17 minutes ago, Ashnflash said:

Hmmmmm I don't know how I feel about that. What would the heart of the story be? I'm calling it now - learning how to share your toys :tongue:

I could see the storyline revolving around a "putting gender differences aside" concept instead, since it looks like Finn's sister has perhaps kept her collection of Lego separate from the basement setup. Also, I guess this explains the detail given back in Nov. 2014 regarding the sequel featuring many more female characters.

Also, in this below Entertainment Weekly interview with Chris McKay, he talks about the events of TLBM resulting in repercussions for TLM2.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/02/13/lego-batman-director-burning-questions-ending/

"There’s definitely a part for Batman in LEGO 2. Everyone loves Will Arnett and the Batman character. There are going to be the repercussions of what’s happened in [LEGO Batman]. If you agree that he went through some change, there’s more stuff in store for Batman in LEGO 2.

I should say, that above linked interview has some interesting tidbits regarding TLBM and the broader Lego Cinematic Universe, so its worth a read if you haven't seen it already.

21 hours ago, GentlemanJoker said:

Sounds great!

Sounds like we'll be seeing play time with Finn's sister this time then, which explains the musical element.

I'd love to see Batman finding himself among the LEGO Friends, as that could allow so many opportunities for humor in the movie. Although I am worried that this movie might be breaking the fourth wall too much for me. I liked what they did in the original movie but I hope this movie still is mainly centered in the LEGO world.

Edited by Rookie875

I quite like the idea of the musical, as long as it's not a *true* musical. I don't want hired singers, I just want the actors to say their lines in a musical way, if that makes sense.

I don't like musicals. Period. 

Also, I'm hoping that TLM2 is not canon with TLBM. 

Hopefully Ninjago can deliver.

13 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

It is. It's a shared universe.

But TLBM hardly acknowledged TLM so I hope that they do the same here.