Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

So, I’m fairly certain that The Lego Batman movie takes place in the same universe as the Lego Movie, right?

The new trailer shows the battle of Bricksburg and Batman is shown not wearing his belt, which means TLBM probably takes place some time after the battle, which wouldn’t add up with the city decending into an apocalypse.

Doe anyone have an ideas about this or is it just a continuity error? :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Foxes Productionz said:

So, I’m fairly certain that The Lego Batman movie takes place in the same universe as the Lego Movie, right?

It would be safe to assume that not, the simplest way to understand is that the story of TLBM or TLNM wasn't directed by Finn or his family, especially TLNM story made it clear that it's a story told by an antique shop owner. It's just that TLM is allowed to blend all the elements from those films or other LEGO themes for advertising reasons without considering canon or not.

Edited by Dorayaki

On 11/23/2018 at 6:32 AM, Foxes Productionz said:

The new trailer shows the battle of Bricksburg and Batman is shown not wearing his belt, which means TLBM probably takes place some time after the battle, which wouldn’t add up with the city decending into an apocalypse.

Doe anyone have an ideas about this or is it just a continuity error? :shrug_oh_well:

I wouldn’t say that… Gotham is separate from Bricksburg, so it’s not unreasonable to think that he could have returned home once the Duplo invaders had been driven off, rather than sticking around in the wasteland they left behind for the entire time between the LEGO Movie and its sequel. I also get the feeling that the Duplo invasion was only the beginning of Bricksburg’s decline since the first movie. And it’s implied that said battle/invasion takes place immediately after The LEGO Movie’s ending, so Batman in that scene wearing the same costume as in that closing shot from the first movie doesn’t tell us anything we couldn’t have assumed even before any LEGO Movie 2 trailers came out.

Also, it’s more or less confirmed that the LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie exist in the same universe, since the TV news story about the abyss beneath Gotham during The LEGO Batman Movie’s first act shows footage of Emmet’s descent into the abyss from The LEGO Movie. If it’s the same abyss, it stands to reason that it’s the same universe with the same Batman. Not to mention the Wyldstyle reference on the box in the attic of the Joker Manor set, which seems to suggest a shared universe in the sets as well (in any theme without shared characters, it could be assumed to be just a shout-out/Easter egg, but since Batman was a character in The LEGO Movie in a relationship with Wyldstyle, that reference takes on a little more obvious significance than, say, an Exo-Force Easter egg in a Ninjago set or a Bionicle reference in Ninjago City).

On 11/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, Foxes Productionz said:

There's always the chance it takes place after BOTH TLM and TLM2

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

On 11/23/2018 at 12:03 PM, jhuyser said:

There's some new stuff in the ads for Watch The LEGO Movie free:

Huh, I'm wondering if Batman will be playing the part of a post-apocalyptic cult leader of sorts for Apocalypsburg's citizens. After all, it looks like that's where they're seeking refuge, his former Batcave. 

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, I'm wondering if Batman will be playing the part of a post-apocalyptic cult leader of sorts for Apocalypsburg's citizens. After all, it looks like that's where they're seeking refuge, his former Batcave. 

I think it's more him bragging about saving them from General Mayhem, before Emmet goes and opens the door of course. 

I'm excited for this one. I just hope Benny isn't underused.

Something I noticed: the second trailer has just over 2 million views, for it being out for a week now. That's.. kind of scary. Most trailers get their views on the official channels for their makers, such as Warner Bros. Not counting the Twitter views, other movie sites/channels, and trailer views from cinema, do people just not know?

1 hour ago, legonerd54321 said:

Something I noticed: the second trailer has just over 2 million views, for it being out for a week now. That's.. kind of scary. Most trailers get their views on the official channels for their makers, such as Warner Bros. Not counting the Twitter views, other movie sites/channels, and trailer views from cinema, do people just not know?

Do you have any point of comparison for what sort of view count comparable trailers (i.e. ones several months ahead of a major children's movie's release) tend to have a week after their release? Because otherwise I wouldn't read much into this at all. As you mention, the YouTube view count doesn't include social media (which'll probably be where a sizeable portion of moviegoers are introduced to the trailer), and beyond that, it also doesn't include the views from the Black Friday-only stream of The Lego Movie that played as a YouTube ad. Given all that I wouldn't really ascribe much predictive value to an early view count on a single site.

Edited by Lyichir

Also, there are several YT channels which posted the trailer

But the trailer trended on You Tube for a while

Edited by Robert8

19 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

It's sad how it seems to be flying under the radar so much, it'd be a shame if this is the last LEGO movie.

24 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

New Holiday Short!

That just made me more excited than the actual second trailer did! :blush::grin:

Doesn't sound like Chris Pratt for Emmet. Did they get the guy who voiced Emmet in the Legoland 4-D film for this? I like the short though.

@Digger of Bricks How interesting, includes real life elements just like TLM. I wonder if the word Playmobil will get mentioned? The word Lego wasn’t mentioned in TLM. That’s another good point, will Lego get mentioned in TLM2? I’m guessing not.

That confirmed some of the plot points leaked a while ago

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

It was Emmet who accidentally created the Queen Whatevra by building the heart thing

Batman's wedding takes place at the end of movie