Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

9 hours ago, pagicence said:

So I have finally watched the movie and all I have to say is: IT SUUUUUCKS!

It SUCKS so bad that I can’t even believe how much it SUCKS! It SUCKS balls! It SUCKS so much that even a succubus compare to it is a loving creature! It SUCKS all the way! It SUCKS so much that I just want to delete everything Lego from my PC and all the accounts related to Lego! It SUCKS so magnificently that I want to never see and hear anything Lego again! It SUCKS so spectacularly that it deserves a place in the hall of SUCKS! It SUCKS so exquisitely that I want to burn every Lego thing. Everything was not awesome. IT SUCKS, IT SUCKS, IT SUCKS, IT SUCKS!

The first one was ten times better.

lol ok

• Watched the movie last night. It was..OK. Not as good as the first one or Batman, but a smidge better than Ninjago.
  • Everything in the first half hour of so was going way too quickly. I feel like there wasn’t enough background on Apocalypseburg, wish we got to see more scenes in it before the attack because it was a great vessel for humor and cool builds. 
  • Sweet Mayhem had absolutely no character whatsoever. A shame, because I love her design and wanted her to be more important but I feel like she wasn’t as prominent as she was advertised. Seemed just as important as the Ice Cream Cone guy.
  • this movie really wasn’t that funny. I had a few laughs, but TLM and TLBM had me scared I’d suffocate from laughing so hard.
  • WHY were Benny, Unikitty and Metalbeard so ignored?!? 
  • Batman felt like he wasn’t given enough screen time either.
  • actually, I feel like we only got substantial amounts of Emmet, Lucy and Rex. Everybody else was an afterthought.
  • I do really love the message of feelings and compassion being more important than anger and destruction, but the fact that Rex personifies all of the negative attributes is a little counterproductive once you notice how many Lego sets we have focusing on him and his cool spaceships.. No doubt there are plenty of little kids who missed the point of what makes him terrible.
  • The whole time travel aspect confused me. I couldn’t tell if I’m supposed to assume it was imaginary or actually happening when Rex was moving around on the floor of the basement.
  • I REALLY wanted the queen to be the villain. We haven’t had a female Lego villain yet, and I typically find them more interesting. A shapeshifting pile of bricks seemed like such a great idea for an antagonist and I was really looking forward to her becoming something terrifying at the end but.....oh well..
  • I liked the Scooby Doo shout out.
  • Wish we got a reference to Ninjago or Robin and Batgirl.
  • Lucy saying she did all of the warrior stuff really irks me considering that Emmet was just as competent once he returned to Bricksburg and built that ginormous mech. That, and the fact she places “warrior stuff” over the importance of inspiring the citizens to resist Lord Business and Emmet’s heartfelt speech of self acceptance to him seems like it goes against the message of the first film. I get that this one went into detail about Lucy’s flaws, but her completely dismissing what made Emmet especially special was hardly touched upon and felt more like a flaw with the writing, rather than a flaw she had personally. As stated earlier in the thread, Emmet’s approach to life after Duplo was as mature and inspiring as he’s always been, so I find it hard to believe Lucy would think lesser of Emmet due to this considering that he saved the world by being the same as he’s always been. 
  • Way too many live action segments. I liked the acting and framing the films as stories being played out by children, but it felt too distracting this time. I hope if we get a third film it’s just a story imagined up by Finn and Bianca and not a metaphor for what’s wrong with their family at the moment.
  • The way they handeled Lord Business was hilarious. The way they handeled Vitruvius was not.
  • This film had the best credits of anything I’ve ever seen.
Edited by saysonder

Well, so I finally got around to seeing the sequel...

...and honestly, I can best analogize it in the same way I would generally judge a Lego playset. For me, a great many parts of this movies I really, really loved, much in the same way I'll dig the bulk of some random set's parted-out pieces (I'll elaborate on all of that part-by-part in the Spoiler topic some time soon here). As I whole though, I still kinda prefer the first film to this sequel, but the novel, creative direction this follow-up took as a collective whole seriously impressed me as I figured it would! I guess where I prefer the first film is in comparing their focal-points, as the The Lego Movie embodied so much about Lego in spirit, whereas The Second Part had a heavier focus on approaching the philosophy of playtime (lightly that is). Besides that, while I somewhat felt the events near the end of the movie were concluded rather hastily, I was perfectly alright with the rest of the pacing preceding that. 

So all in all, despite those small issues, I find it to be a most worthy sequel! :thumbup: :smug:

I completely disagree with that articles opinion that the big theatrical releases aren’t that much different to the DVD releases. Granted I’m not the audience he was likely talking about, but even casual movie goers can see there is a vast difference in just looks alone. I haven’t seen all of the DVD movies, but the ones I have seen aren’t anything special or something that I would rewatch. 

Something to remember is merch sales are often where the real money is made with animated franchises so even if the film ends with something like 21M there could still be a chance for the franchises future 

20 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I completely disagree with that articles opinion that the big theatrical releases aren’t that much different to the DVD releases. Granted I’m not the audience he was likely talking about, but even casual movie goers can see there is a vast difference in just looks alone. I haven’t seen all of the DVD movies, but the ones I have seen aren’t anything special or something that I would rewatch. 

Agreed. I’d certainly defer to the writer’s expertise when it comes to the money side of movies, but I don’t think he’s a particularly astute judge of the creative side if he truly sees little difference between the LCU works and the various video specials.

That said, that’s a very small part of his article, and unfortunately I think he may well be right in his main argument (about the LCU being effectively done at this point).

Well, that is... unless they’ve already put enough money into The Billion Brick Race (or whatever its current name is) that they determine it’s better to finish and release it, and hope for the best, than to abandon it and completely write off whatever they’ve spent so far.

6 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Something to remember is merch sales are often where the real money is made with animated franchises so even if the film ends with something like 21M there could still be a chance for the franchises future 

True, but Warner shares that with LEGO, and I’m not sure whatever cut Warner gets of merch sales is enough for them to continue bankrolling this franchise. Warner wants to sell movie tickets, first and foremost, while TLG wants to sell LEGO sets. Both surely also want to sell additional miscellaneous ancillary products, but I suspect for Warner to want to continue with these movies, it has to first make sense to them purely on ticket sales.

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Agreed. I’d certainly defer to the writer’s expertise when it comes to the money side of movies, but I don’t think he’s a particularly astute judge of the creative side if he truly sees little difference between the LCU works and the various video specials.

That said, that’s a very small part of his article, and unfortunately I think he may well be right in his main argument (about the LCU being effectively done at this point).

Well, that is... unless they’ve already put enough money into The Billion Brick Race (or whatever its current name is) that they determine it’s better to finish and release it, and hope for the best, than to abandon it and completely write off whatever they’ve spent so far.

I certainly hope not, I think they have a real hit on their hands. Personally, I rank all three(up until this sequel came out) of their movies at the number one spot, but for various reasons. The first was a mix of the new & the nostalgia of seeing “LEGO bricks” on the big screen. Batman was good for laughs & all of those villains. And of course, Batman. Ninjago was by far the funniest of all of them, it had great quotable moments. My favorites are Garmadork & the dork squad & the whole “little bit” sequence. I can’t not say, more often than not to myself, a little bit whenever I hear someone say that. I don’t understand the negativity surrounding that movie, or AFOL’s who simply never saw it. Clearly my opinion on the movies is heavily skewed by my obsession. I never see movies opening weekend anymore...except when these come out. 

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

I certainly hope not, I think they have a real hit on their hands. Personally, I rank all three(up until this sequel came out) of their movies at the number one spot, but for various reasons. The first was a mix of the new & the nostalgia of seeing “LEGO bricks” on the big screen. Batman was good for laughs & all of those villains. And of course, Batman. Ninjago was by far the funniest of all of them, it had great quotable moments. My favorites are Garmadork & the dork squad & the whole “little bit” sequence. I can’t not say, more often than not to myself, a little bit whenever I hear someone say that. I don’t understand the negativity surrounding that movie, or AFOL’s who simply never saw it. Clearly my opinion on the movies is heavily skewed by my obsession. I never see movies opening weekend anymore...except when these come out. 

I couldn't agree more, these films are all so consistantly great it'd be a real shame if they went the way of the Dodo while tons of cash grabs with no effort thrive.  (I swear if the Playmobile movie does  etyer than TLM2 I'm going to riot)

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

From the few facts that escaped the water tower we at the very least know that at least Two characters, a location, the logo and six vehicles had renders and apparently some non-LEGO merch for it had a roadmap for 2020.

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

True, but Warner share with LEGO, and I’m not sure whatever cut Warner gets of merch sales is enough for them to continue bankrolling this franchise. Warner wants to sell movie tickets, first and foremost, while TLG wants to sell LEGO sets. Both surely also want to sell additional miscellaneous ancillary products, but I suspect for Warner to want to continue with these movies, it has to first make sense to them purely on ticket sales.

I doubt they'd be 'steamrolling' these films but if all the merch sales as well as Benny's space squad is seeming to we could see them finish TLBR and maybe get a TLM3 in time

I wonder if the darker tone (with all the post-apoc stuff) hurt the film (e.g. people choosing not to see it because of that or parents deciding not to take their kids because of it)

Screen Rant - LEGO Movie 2 Blu-ray Release Date & Special Features Revealed

Warner Bros. has announced that The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part will be released on digital on April 16, before coming to 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD a few weeks later on May 7. Much like the first film, the sequel's home video release will be packed with bonus features and even a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which will only be included on the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray versions of the film. The full list of special features for the 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD releases can be read below:

• Everything is Awesome Sing-along – Sing-along, trivia, games and more!
  • Commentary – Fun behind the scenes commentary by filmmakers
  • They Come in Pieces: Assembling The LEGO Movie 2 – Featurette highlighting A-list voice talent including Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett and Tiffany Haddish
  • Emmet’s Holiday Party: A LEGO Movie Short – Holiday themed animated short
  • LEGO Sets in Action – Animations of the LEGO product tied to The LEGO Movie 2
  • LEGO Designers – LEGO toy designers highlight key play sets in TLM2 product line
  • Outtakes & Deleted Scenes – Never before seen scenes
  • Super Cool Music Video – Music video by Beck featuring Robyn and The Lonely Island
  • Promotion Spots – Fun custom spots featured during the theatrical campaign

On 3/18/2019 at 11:56 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

True, but Warner shares that with LEGO, and I’m not sure whatever cut Warner gets of merch sales is enough for them to continue bankrolling this franchise. Warner wants to sell movie tickets, first and foremost, while TLG wants to sell LEGO sets. Both surely also want to sell additional miscellaneous ancillary products, but I suspect for Warner to want to continue with these movies, it has to first make sense to them purely on ticket sales.

Keep in mind that the continuation of the franchise isn't necessarily an all-or-nothing thing. If the merch sales are strong and Lego wants to continue the franchise, the movies are still popular enough that Warner Bros. is likely to be willing go along with it—just probably with a lower budget than this particular installment (which, keep in mind, had a much larger budget than the first Lego Movie).

Just now, Lyichir said:

Keep in mind that the continuation of the franchise isn't necessarily an all-or-nothing thing. If the merch sales are strong and Lego wants to continue the franchise, the movies are still popular enough that Warner Bros. is likely to be willing go along with it—just probably with a lower budget than this particular installment (which, keep in mind, had a much larger budget than the first Lego Movie).

Oh, I’m sure. I know we’re not at the point yet that the franchise is definitely sunk, but I do think it’s imperiled. But it’s not clear where we are with this latest one yet - not only is it still in theaters, but it only opens in China tomorrow, and in Australia and Japan next week. And then there’s video and such.

I personally suspect, but of course don’t know, that it will ultimately make some profit, but possibly a small one. I also don’t know, given any particular box-office total the current film reaches, how comfortable WB will be doing more. These movies are pretty expensive, generally becoming more so with each installment (an exception being The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which cost less than The LEGO Batman Movie, though still more than the original The LEGO Movie), while at the same time the box-office returns have trended downwards (The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has handily outperformed The LEGO Ninjago Movie, but appears unlikely to match the takes of the two previous movies). On the one hand, this doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. On the other, movies are an inherently risky business, and this particular franchise isn’t the most expensive one WB is handling. Of the three movies that have had their full runs, only one is a clear financial disappointment and likely loss. While LM2’s final performance isn’t known yet, it has already demonstrated a later entry in the franchise can surpass an earlier one. For us outsiders, there’s really no telling what Warner will decide, until it happens.

So, finally saw the sequel today . . OH MY GOD I LOVED EVERY SECOND!

Well, okay, not every second - the Bruce Willis scenes in particular seemed out-of-place - but it was awesome, hadn't a great message, and I am honestly wondering why it's not being more successful than it is. 

Still, glorious movie, well worth the price of admission. I really hope this won't be the last Lego Movie. The Ninjago Movie was bad, but the other three have all been excellent and I want to see more, damnit!

12 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

So, finally saw the sequel today . . OH MY GOD I LOVED EVERY SECOND!

Well, okay, not every second - the Bruce Willis scenes in particular seemed out-of-place - but it was awesome, hadn't a great message, and I am honestly wondering why it's not being more successful than it is. 

Still, glorious movie, well worth the price of admission. I really hope this won't be the last Lego Movie. The Ninjago Movie was bad, but the other three have all been excellent and I want to see more, damnit!

What was bad about the Ninjago one?

4 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

What was bad about the Ninjago one?

It treated the source material like trash, reduced most of the characters to two-dimensional caricatures . . . okay those are my main two sticking points but they're big ones. 

6 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

It treated the source material like trash, reduced most of the characters to two-dimensional caricatures . . . okay those are my main two sticking points but they're big ones. 

I’ll give you the second point, this was more of a father/son story than a team movie, part of the time. But so was the show for a time. This is just getting started, they haven’t had the years the show had. It had a fair amount of team building, them learning about their powers, trusting Lloyd again, coming together. As for your first, just think of the show as being a completely different universe, like how DC has TV & movie versions. 

I get it, I’m a stickler for source material myself, but the changes shouldn’t ruin a movie for you. My favorite part of Ninjago Movie is the comedy. It is, of the now four, by far the funniest of the bunch. I’ve seen it dozens of times but when I hear Chad say the Garmadork & the dork squad line, or the scene about “a little bit” it still gets me very single time. And the mechs are great & the Shark Army is a ton of fun. 

LEGO Movie 2 flopped on China as well

Despite respectable reviews, The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part flopped this weekend, further cementing China's lack of enthusiasm for the Warner Bros. franchise built on tiny plastic blocks. The sequel will struggle to even match the disappointing $6.1 million total earned by The Lego Batman Movie — the only other Lego title to be released in China — in 2017.

I had high hope on China's box office considering the SciFi theme of the movie, something that helped Venom there

It seems TLG's recent efforts to strengthening their brand there just haven't work yet

Awesome! It's neat to see how many different ideas for Lucy and Sweet Mayhem's confrontation were considered.

I suspect that some of the versions, such as the roomba and hamster maze versions, were probably rejected for dragging out the length of the movie too much, being too difficult/expensive to animate, and/or for having too much "real world" action and not enough "LEGO world" action. They would have definitely been really fun to see fully animated, but might not have been as suited to this particular movie — they give me a bit more of a Toy Story vibe than a LEGO Movie vibe.

The idea of Bianca creating a literal amateur BrickFilm explaining her perspective (and thus, the Systar System's) perspective on the conflict is a really nifty reference to the medium that inspired the style of these movies. At the same time, it also feels a little bit too exposition-heavy compared to the subtler and less preachy way that the final movie establishes the Systar System inhabitants' true intent.

Likewise, I think it's just as well that they cut the scene with Superman's crystal that leads Lucy to feel like she's in danger of brainwashing (and the second crystal scene that subverts it) — they're an amusing reference to Superman comics lore, but both an unnecessarily chatty way to establish stuff that could be conveyed more organically, and a little conceptually redundant after The LEGO Batman Movie already made a joke involving the Kryptonian memory crystals.

Overall I don't think it was the wrong decision to cut any of these scenes, but it's neat to know how much time the writers and storyboarders spent fine-tuning and rethinking plot elements where they saw room for improvement. I definitely think it shows in the final movie — there's a LOT of emotional power in the final versions of some of these scenes!

Weird how many versions of the Lucy/ Mayhem fight were made, I feel the first one shown (Mayhem Saves Lucy) was better then the one used in the film.

(Also the Crystal used in the Superman scenes has been used in every LEGO movie but still doesn't exist IRL it seems.)