Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

Somewhat related, but I went to TLM2 Pop-Up in Hollywood today. It was really cool, especially after seeing the film to pick out some quotes and a few minor characters that appear.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:32 AM, Fifulin said:

And is the rest of the song as good as this released bit? I already love it!! :snicker:

The whole thing has now been posted, if you’d like to hear it (obviously it might be considered a spoiler, though I’d say it’s not a major one):

Love most of the song but honestly Metalbeard, Batman, Benny and Unikitty parts ruined it for me. I hate when songs are interrupted with dialogs and some of these interruptions aren't even good. You can tell Charlie Day struggled to keep his Benny voice while singing. 

It could have done only with the queen singing while interacting with the other characters. 

Other than that I it's excellent. Second best after the credits song.

The soundtrack of this film is outstanding

So this is the report from the opening weekend:

At the top of the box office, Warner Bros.'s The LEGO Movie 2 brought in an estimated $34.4 million, falling well short of the anticipated $50-55 million the studio was anticipating heading into the weekend. The performance is also well below the $69 million the first film opened with back in February 2014 as well as below the $53 million opening for The LEGO Batman Movie in February 2017. That same year WB debuted a second LEGO feature in The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which opened with a franchise low, $20.4 million in September 2017. The dwindling returns for the films in this franchise suggests the studio jumped the gun with so many spin-offs before actually establishing the overall series.

That said, critics have given three of the four films (Ninjago excluded) top marks, with those three declared "Certified Fresh" on RottenTomatoes and the same going for audience response on those same three films. Audiences gave LEGO 2 an "A-" CinemaScore, matching the same score for LEGO Batman, though the films have been trending increasingly male with LEGO 2 playing to an audience that was 57% male, the largest gender discrepancy among all four films so far. Overall, however, ancillaries should most likely remain high with LEGO 2 suggesting this is far from the end of the franchise, and WB may simply need to change tact looking ahead.

Internationally, LEGO 2 brought in an estimated $18.1 million from 63 overseas markets. Comparatively, the first LEGO Movie brought in $18.4 million in its first weekend from ~30 fewer markets. As for the sequel's performance, the UK led the way with $5.3 million followed by Russia ($1.7m), Poland ($1.3m), Germany ($1.1m), Spain ($830k), Brazil ($707k), the Netherlands ($622k) and South Korea ($500k). The film will open in Mexico on February 14 followed by openings in France (Feb 20), Italy (Feb 21) and Australia (Mar 21).

I guess the minidolls didn't pull in the girls lol.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, legonerd54321 said:

I think the weather was a big play in it, considering it was only screening in the US currently. Where I was I had to second guess myself before going because of how nasty the weather was Thursday and Friday.

I think you are right about the weather being a big play.

We are in Texas and I had pre-bought tickets to the show... and I was tempted not to go out onto the slippery streets anwyay. But, well. I'd bought tickets and my daughter was looking forward to it so out we went.

THE LEGO MOVIE 2 recording sessions

It seems Benny had a bigger role but a lot of stuff was cut

Edited by Robert8

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It seems Benny had a bigger role but a lot of stuff was cut

Not really, this stuff is all just Variations on lines that made it into the final cut

Spoiler

For example "I need my Space... SHIP!" was likely replaced with "DON'T TOUCH ME WHEN I'M SPACESHIPING!"   as the latter is funnier.

Generally out of the first films supporting cast I feel Benny got off better than most, While he has no more screen time than Unikitty or Metalbeard he definitely utilised the screen time better as at least with the audience I saw it with and all the people I've spoken about the film with his jokes are definitely the most laughed at and memorable (It's over and we're giving up, Loving spaceships is my one defining trait, I think I finally get radiohead and the aforementioned DON'T TOUCH ME WHEN I'M SPACESHIPING! were the scenes that got the most laughs (Aside from Bruce Willis and Rex's stuff) and I hear quoted most. Though this is of course anecdotal, it did make me pay more attention to Unikitty and Metalbeard on my second viewing and while Unikitty definitely has more screen time than Benny she doesn't utilise it nearly as well. In almost every scene with Benny he said a joke where as unless you find Alison Brie just saying Stereotypically "Girly" things funny her only jokes were the many weird forms she takes. 

I managed to see it on an advance screen last Saturday.  (Long Story but NZ only get official release on 11th April)

I like it and I think it is still good.  I did worried a bit in the beginning that it will end up more like NINJAGO MOVIE but man it ended so well.

The only part I didn't like is some of the characters from 1st MOVIE was just there for being there.

I'm not sure if there are story for a 3rd one even though I would love to.

If you are interested, you can check out my quick review on my channel.

18 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

I managed to see it on an advance screen last Saturday.  (Long Story but NZ only get official release on 11th April)

I like it and I think it is still good.  I did worried a bit in the beginning that it will end up more like NINJAGO MOVIE but man it ended so well.

The only part I didn't like is some of the characters from 1st MOVIE was just there for being there.

I'm not sure if there are story for a 3rd one even though I would love to.

If you are interested, you can check out my quick review on my channel.

April 11th?! Wow...that’s gotta be a painful wait.

That seems to be a regular thing. The guy with the Blacktron shirt is also seen in Batman & Ninjago. As is Kebab Bob. The reporter who asked Batman what are you going to do with the rest of your life is sitting on a bench early on in the first movie. Just to name a few. 

Clearly they have terrible luck picking cities to live in...:tongue:

Edited by Vindicare

I wish they had shown all the planets from the Systar System. Maybe a quick shot of each like they did in TLM1 with Vikings, Castle, etc... 

The Systar System planets were mentioned to be 11. I'd guess Belville, Friends, Elves, Duplo, Scala and Fabuland could have been all planets. Then plantimals plantet, the Balthazar sparkling planet and the main planet were Queen Whatevra has her palace. Another planet for brick built food characters. That would be 10 planets. 

Disney Princesses could have been another one but thats imposible because of the license

Edited by Robert8

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

April 11th?! Wow...that’s gotta be a painful wait.

Luckily I don't have to.  It's all about distributor trying to align with school holidays here =(

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I wish they had shown all the planets from the Systar System. Maybe a quick shot of each like they did in TLM1 with Vikings, Castle, etc... 

The Systar System planets were mentioned to be 11. I'd guess Belville, Friends, Elves, Duplo, Scala and Fabuland could have been all planets. Then plantimals plantet, the Balthazar sparkling planet and the main planet were Queen Whatevra has her palace. Another planet for brick built food characters. That would be 10 planets. 

Disney Princesses could have been another one but thats imposible because of the license

Don't forget The CS and Pirate planets

First reports points to a 38% drop at the office for this second weekend

And next weekend How to Train your Dragon 3 opens sooooo..... 

18 hours ago, Robert8 said:

First reports points to a 38% drop at the office for this second weekend

And next weekend How to Train your Dragon 3 opens sooooo..... 

I guess we'll have to see the numbers for overseas whenever it opens in April :shrug_confused:

I was hoping for a Venom-like turnout, where good of word made the box office results increase with each week, but with HTTYD coming out next week.. it's not looking likely.

14 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

I was hoping for a Venom-like turnout, where good of word made the box office results increase with each week, but with HTTYD coming out next week.. it's not looking likely.

That was a critcis vs fans battle and it wont happen here because here we all agree (fans and critics) that the movie is good. People just dont care enough about it. 

-------------------------------------

As for today, The LEGO Movie 2 has grossed $103,400,359. 

To break even, it needs at least to double the budget. That would be $198M

On 2/17/2019 at 5:19 AM, Robert8 said:

According to the Junior Novel of the movie, the planets are Roller Viking Planet, DUPLO Planet, Friendopolis/Capitol: Harmony Town, Cutopolis , Pantryliopolis, Vampiropolis, Monolitiopolis, Anthropomorphia, Planet of Infinite Reflection, Hawkmynotaurus, Ozzieland and Abstractconceptpolis

https://books.google.cz/books?id=f1VgDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT40&lpg=PT40&dq=the+systar+system+planets&source=bl&ots=-ObiLHfVwL&sig=ACfU3U0z2f_2DYBLHR1A66Q_jwg4-FTQ_g&hl=cs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_1LTyy8rgAhUQx4UKHa8tCoUQ6AEwDnoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=the systar system planets&f=false

TLM2 had a 52% drop this weekend and the current box office is $136,619,039. At this point is pretty clear the film won't break even, which means WB will lose money to it

Warner Bros. pulled into third position with The LEGO Movie 2, but it also found itself struggling in the face of the newest Dragon feature as it dipped -52% this weekend for an estimated $10 million three-day and a 17 day cume now totaling $83.6 million. Internationally, the film is also struggling, adding just $10.3 million from 73 markets this weekend for an international cume that now stands at $53 million. Overall the global tally stands at $136.6 million with Australia remaining the lone market yet to release, where the film will debut on March 21.

8 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

TLM2 had a 52% drop this weekend and the current box office is $136,619,039. At this point is pretty clear the film won't break even, which means WB will lose money to it

Oh no

They totally saw this coming. The early scrennings were clearly done to create hype via word of mouth, but it didn't work. 

At some point Chris Pratt was pretty much begging on IG for people to go watch the movie. 

Unless a miracle happens or it turns out WB has the same level of dedication here as they do with their DCEU best we can hope for is that in 5-10 years we get a sequel like Toy Story 3 or Incredibles 2 to capitalize on Nostalgia