Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

19 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I even watched a couple of Youtubers dedicated to film critic ranking the most anticipated animated movies in 2019, and TLM2 was event mentioned in the top 10. :sceptic:

That's really not a valid measure. Those lists are just people's opinions and a LEGO movie wouldn't make those sorta lists, those lists are filled with bug nostalgic franchises and yes we have a nostalgic connection to LEGO but for most of those people it's just " I had some as a child and the films are pretty good." 

44 minutes ago, legonerd54321 said:

Question: Why do you all think this is going to be bad? Didn't we all think TLM was going to be bad from its first trailers and TV spots??

Because each LEGO Movie has been worst than its predecesor: TLM>TLBM>TNM 

Ninjago was bad... So some people don't know what to expect about TLM2

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I don't think that LEGO is stupid and they won't make a bad movie again.

And in my opinion TLBM was better than TLM.:devil:

1 hour ago, Pop Star c o said:

I don't think that LEGO is stupid and they won't make a bad movie again.

Yes but the movie was made by Warner, not LEGO. 

And Warner is known for taking very poor choices. Look at the DC mess. And now they are killing the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

It was already a very bad move to release 2 LEGO movies almost back to back. And Ninjago was mediocre to say the least.

Most of the reactions Ive' seen on social media to this movie have been like "sigh... another one?"

Look at how Disney handles their Toy Story franchise. 

4 movies in 20 years, while Warner has 4 LEGO movies in 5

I HOPE they'll prove me wrong tho

6 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

I loved TLBM, and I didn't necessarily think it was at all a bad movie; but, given that it was more of a Batman Movie rather than a Lego Movie, 2014's The Lego Movie is definitely superior to TLBM in those regards.

I hadn't seen it mentioned here before but there's a really neat article from Animation Magazine about the animation in the movie: http://www.animationmagazine.net/features/the-lego-movie-2-playing-outside-the-box/

This is the first I think I've seen of Finn's sister's name (Bianca). Also, I love the idea of really leaning into more mixed media for the Systar System, since I've definitely seen that sort of play style from younger kids including my little cousins Ashlin and Diana. It also goes into how they worked with/around the limited articulation of the mini-doll characters—I'm looking forward to that since I think the little hops that Sweet Mayhem did to get around in one of the trailers were adorable!

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I hadn't seen it mentioned here before but there's a really neat article from Animation Magazine about the animation in the movie: http://www.animationmagazine.net/features/the-lego-movie-2-playing-outside-the-box/
This is the first I think I've seen of Finn's sister's name (Bianca). Also, I love the idea of really leaning into more mixed media for the Systar System, since I've definitely seen that sort of play style from younger kids including my little cousins Ashlin and Diana. It also goes into how they worked with/around the limited articulation of the mini-doll characters—I'm looking forward to that since I think the little hops that Sweet Mayhem did to get around in one of the trailers were adorable!

Thank you so much for sharing this most insightful article! :thumbup: :sweet:

Well, as far the themes this sequel will be exploring, I did find this tidbit to be pretty interesting: WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Spoiler

Adding New Elements

One element the sequel is unable to replicate is the original’s twist, which revealed that the entire movie had taken place in the mind of young Finn, playing with his father’s off-limits collectible LEGO sets in the family basement. The clash between father and son — and collectibles versus toys — gave the film an unexpected emotional grounding in the real world.

Mitchell says the sequel doesn’t have that same type of twist, but it does expand on that element of the plot, introducing Bianca and mom and an older Finn, who’s not quite sure it’s OK to still play with LEGO.

”It’s really exploring, when we get older, how much of [all those things that inspired us as kids] that do we hang onto?” says Mitchell.

20 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Yes but the movie was made by Warner, not LEGO. 

And Warner is known for taking very poor choices. Look at the DC mess. And now they are killing the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

It was already a very bad move to release 2 LEGO movies almost back to back. And Ninjago was mediocre to say the least.

Most of the reactions Ive' seen on social media to this movie have been like "sigh... another one?"

FB2 was good!:hmpf_bad: Actually better than FB1.

I am excited to see the movie, however, I am concerned about the quality. I was so hyped for TLNM when the first trailer. All of the marketing after that made it look like it was going to be great. I even claimed it could be better than TLBM. I was wrong, and I left the theater disappointed by TLNM. Personally, each LEGO movie since the first one has dropped in quality from a writing standpoint, and if the last two films are any indicators of this trend holding water, then then TLM2 might not be great. The movie is also going to be touching on a rather topical issue, which of they handle the topic poorly, it would be a further detriment to the movie. Overall, I guess I am cautiously optimistic.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:05 AM, Robert8 said:

I don't think this is all that apt a comparison, since The LEGO Batman Movie and The LEGO Ninjago Movie are spin-offs rather than sequels. Warner Bros. is currently approaching these films from the "expanded universe" model than a normal, sequential series model (much like Star Wars has been trying to do with their anthology films).

Now, both the LEGO Movie spin-offs and the Star Wars anthology films have recently had experiences with the consequences of having too many movies in too short a time, but the nice thing about this approach is that at any time if it turns out the spin-offs/anthology films are more trouble than they're worth, they can commit to fewer of them going forward, or stop doing them entirely and go back to the more traditional approach of only doing numbered sequels.

But overall, the perception of the LEGO Movie and its sequels/spin-offs steadily declining in quality is far from universal even within the LEGO fan community. I've heard several AFOLs attest to preferring The LEGO Ninjago Movie over The LEGO Batman Movie, and others even attest to preferring The LEGO Batman Movie over The LEGO Movie. The LEGO Batman Movie was also a rousing success both with critics and in the box office, so ultimately it's only The LEGO Ninjago Movie that seems to have been a considerable disappointment. Extrapolating any kind of trend from the under-performance of just one movie seems premature to say the least.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, Robert8 said:

I liked all of them so far, but the original is definitely the best.

19 hours ago, Henry Bricklider said:

The movie is also going to be touching on a rather topical issue, which of they handle the topic poorly, it would be a further detriment to the movie. Overall, I guess I am cautiously optimistic.

What issue is that?

17 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I don't think this is all that apt a comparison, since The LEGO Batman Movie and The LEGO Ninjago Movie are spin-offs rather than sequels. Warner Bros. is currently approaching these films from the "expanded universe" model than a normal, sequential series model (much like Star Wars has been trying to do with their anthology films).

Now, both the LEGO Movie spin-offs and the Star Wars anthology films have recently had experiences with the consequences of having too many movies in too short a time, but the nice thing about this approach is that at any time if it turns out the spin-offs/anthology films are more trouble than they're worth, they can commit to fewer of them going forward, or stop doing them entirely and go back to the more traditional approach of only doing numbered sequels.

But overall, the perception of the LEGO Movie and its sequels/spin-offs steadily declining in quality is far from universal even within the LEGO fan community. I've heard several AFOLs attest to preferring The LEGO Ninjago Movie over The LEGO Batman Movie, and others even attest to preferring The LEGO Batman Movie over The LEGO Movie. The LEGO Batman Movie was also a rousing success both with critics and in the box office, so ultimately it's only The LEGO Ninjago Movie that seems to have been a considerable disappointment. Extrapolating any kind of trend from the under-performance of just one movie seems premature to say the least.

It could be that the LEGO Ninjago Movie didn't do as well at the box office because people didn't like the LEGO Batman Movie.  That would make the comparison work a little better, since that's very much what happened with Star Wars.  Solo wasn't financially successful because people didn't like The Last Jedi.

49 minutes ago, x105Black said:

What issue is that?

49 minutes ago, x105Black said:

It could be that the LEGO Ninjago Movie didn't do as well at the box office because people didn't like the LEGO Batman Movie.  That would make the comparison work a little better, since that's very much what happened with Star Wars.  Solo wasn't financially successful because people didn't like The Last Jedi.

The thing is we've seen no such outcry online, if you mention TLJ online no matter your opinion you'll have tons of people replying telling you how you're the antichrist where as with TLBM the general reaction online is just "Yeah, it was pretty good" Though I wouldn't say TLNM BOMBED per say (Budget being $70 million and making 123.1 Million) I'd definitely say it under performed. I feel the reason TLNM did poorly is because of the marketing, the little there was put most emphasis on the NINJAGO part of the title (and one look at twitter would show you that because of the changes most Ninjago fans weren't interested) making most people think it was just something for that TV show they'd heard about once or twice.

6 hours ago, x105Black said:

Um... The Last Jedi was incredibly popular (if the ticket sales weren't proof of that, its home video sales probably ought to be, with it topping the list of home video sales charts for 2018 despite physical media being on the decline for entertainment in general). Solo's poor box office returns probably had less to do with the vocal minority that disliked The Last Jedi and more to do with its lower profile as a "side story" combined with it releasing less than half a year after TLJ. Incidentally, this kind of fatigue also probably also applies to The Lego Ninjago Movie which came out the same year as The Lego Batman Movie, though its much poorer critical and audience reception indicates that that was far from the only issue critics and audiences found with it.

In either case, I should hope that none of those issues affect The Lego Movie 2, both being the first "proper" sequel to The Lego Movie and following a year without any other Lego movies.

6 hours ago, x105Black said:

I liked all of them so far, but the original is definitely the best.

What issue is that?

Err… not really. The Last Jedi and The LEGO Batman Movie alike have been extremely popular not only critically and in the box office but also on home media… the last of which you usually wouldn’t see if the only reason for their box office success was people not having any way to anticipate how good or bad the movie would be.

The LEGO Batman Movie also has a very high audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, which you wouldn’t expect if people who bought tickets sound up hating it. And it’s pretty well established at this point that a substantial portion of The Last Jedi’s low Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic audience scores and general divisiveness on social media was substantially fueled of organized, bad-faith trolling and bot activity by radical conservative, alt-right, and anti-feminist movements. More scientifically conducted audience polls found that viewers generally rated the movie very highly after seeing it in theaters:

https://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/

https://www.newsweek.com/black-panther-reviews-fanboys-rotten-tomatoes-boycott-798445?amp=1

https://qz.com/1410761/the-last-jedi-haters-were-manipulated-by-bots-and-trolls-study/

Additionally, if any of this were simply a matter of lowered expectations or even of viewer fatigue alone, we wouldn’t have expected the extremely positive critical consensus for the previous movies (indicating that critics, at least, enjoyed them) to turn into weaker critical reviews of Solo and The LEGO Ninjago Movie.

I think both movies show signs of fatigue not just on the part of audiences, but also the studios producing them. Both movies experienced higher than anticipated turnover rates among their writers and directors, and that seems to have fed into some of the films’ narrative weaknesses. Ordinarily, perhaps the amount of production time the movies had might have been sufficient, but when you have to squeeze in reshoots or rewrite or cut major scenes after a change in writers or directors, a lot of the time, effort, and money already spent on production winds up going to waste, and the result is a film that can feel like it was churned our more quickly with less time to refine its weaker points.