Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

While I know it's supposed to be a nod to the classic 1968 Planet of the Apes movie, why exactly is there a humanoid Statue of Liberty sitting in the middle of Bricksburg, especially since we never saw such a thing initially in the first movie? Is it perhaps a "relic" that dropped into Bricksburg sometime during or after the Duplo invasion? What must Brickburg's citizens think of such an alien looking figure? :shrug_confused:

12 hours ago, Fifulin said:

I'm not sure this has been brought up, but did anybody else notice that Vitruvius' ghost nor President Business are present in the trailer?

After the amount of time that has passed as stated in the teaser, Vitruvius must be no longer be of necessary relevance, while President Business's fate and/or absence will most likely be explained at some point in the film.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I know it's supposed to be a nod to the classic 1968 Planet of the Apes movie, why exactly is there a humanoid Statue of Liberty sitting in the middle of Bricksburg, especially since we never saw such a thing initially in the first movie? Is it perhaps a "relic" that dropped into Bricksburg sometime during or after the Duplo invasion? What must Brickburg's citizens think of such an alien looking figure? :shrug_confused:

Well, it could be a tie-in to the Architecture Statue of Liberty. (Which I would love to have for my village but know the price tag has too many zeroes for me to ever even think about.) 

And there's also the Dimensions possibility - the content in Lego Dimensions based on The Lego Movie was set post-movie, in a world that was unmarked by the Duplos. (Well, mostly - some stuff had to be rebuilt.) Part of the plotline of Dimensions involved Lord Vortech trying to destroy the heroes during their search for a Flux Capacitor in 1885 Hill Valley by basically dropping everything he could think of on top of them. This included Metalbeard's Sea Cow, the SHIELD Helicarrier, the Kwik-E-Mart, and the Statue of Liberty (among other assorted interdimensional detrius). 

I mean, that statue had to come from somewhere. And I suppose it might have been from the Ghostbusters dimension (and, by that logic, the Sphinx might have come from Doctor Who), but . . . well, if it came from somewhere, it had to go somewhere. And Bricksburg is as good a place as any. 

Y'now, I really like this explanation. I think that, unless the movie offers something else, I'll consider it a headcanon, if nothing else. 

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

And there's also the Dimensions possibility - the content in Lego Dimensions based on The Lego Movie was set post-movie, in a world that was unmarked by the Duplos. (Well, mostly - some stuff had to be rebuilt.) Part of the plotline of Dimensions involved Lord Vortech trying to destroy the heroes during their search for a Flux Capacitor in 1885 Hill Valley by basically dropping everything he could think of on top of them. This included Metalbeard's Sea Cow, the SHIELD Helicarrier, the Kwik-E-Mart, and the Statue of Liberty (among other assorted interdimensional detrius). 

I don't think any of the core Lego movies will even bother accounting for their own spinoffs in terms of continuity, let alone acknowledging TT produced games like Dimensions. If anything, come to think of it, perhaps the neglect and disrepair of Bricksburg has made the display a dumping ground of sorts for partially assembled sets and such, much like the planet Sakaar in Thor Ragnarok. :shrug_confused:

Something I noticed in the trailer tying in with the song "Intergalactic" by Beastie Boys

There's a lyric in the song that says 

I like my sugar with coffee and cream

And Emmett orders a coffee with cream and 25 cups of sugar in the trailer.

It probably isn't of importance, I just thought it was cool that the song has more connection with the trailer

On 7/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a new still released by Entertainment Weekly ahead of San Diego Comic-Con:

lm_21652317882319231231.jpg

This basically confirms that we are getting an new trailer soon :)

On 7/16/2018 at 8:13 AM, Savage Oppress said:

This basically confirms that we are getting an new trailer soon :)

Unfortunately, it looks like we did get some new footage previewed at San Diego Comic-Con, but it was for Warner Brothers panel attendees only. So, here's at least a detailed description of that footage:

Slash Film - The LEGO Movie 2’ Features Chris Pratt in Two Roles and Tiffany Haddish as a Shapeshifting Alien [Comic-Con 2018] 

The footage opens in a post-apocalyptic setting, with Wyldstyle looking over the wasteland, grimly monologuing about their fight to survive. The surrounding city is wrecked. “Everything was awesome…now everything is bleak,” Wyldstyle intones. Her grim-dark moment is interrupted by Emmett, who arrives bearing coffee, as cheerful as ever.

Then aliens invade and the citizens flee into giant vault while Batman battles the creatures in a giant mech suit (it’s as awesomely silly as it sounds). However, the massive vault doors can’t close – an adorable star LEGO is trapped in it. “So cold,” it says with a quivering voice. Naturally, Emmett opens to the door to save it, the alien leader gets in, and Wyldstyle and a bunch of other familiar faces from the first movie are abducted. Whoops.

Emmett suggests a rescue mission. A LEGO minifig version of Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn calls it a “suicide mission.” Get it?

Anyway, Emmett ventures into space on his own and we meet a brand new character: Rex Dangervest, also voiced by Chris Pratt. Rex is a galaxy-saving archaeologist and, uh, raptor trainer. In other words, he is the “cool” version of Chris Pratt, while Emmett is the nerdy, Parks and Recreation version. Still, they quickly become buds – Rex has heard of “the special” and is ready for a team-up. They even have a similar fashion sense, which Rex’s raptor buddies pick up instantly. “Vest friends!” one of them growls in subtitles.

We then catch up with Wyldstyle and company, who are brought before a colorful talking LEGO horse played by Tiffany Haddish. No one seems cool talking to the LEGO horse, so she transforms into a tentacled monstrosity. “The horse was much more palatable,” Batman deadpans.

10 hours ago, Exetrius said:

@Digger of Bricks Thanks for sharing! I'm getting more and more excited!

None of the footage is showcased, but here's some cast interviews from the Comic-Con panel that took place:

I think we should get another trailer soon. 

The first trailer came in June and I expect at least 3 trailers overall, with the final being released shortly after the holiday season.

The LEGO Batman Movie got the 4th trailer by November, 2016.

After what happened with Ninjago Movie Im kinda worried about LTM2.

33 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I want to think that the problems with TLNM were a result of the source material and the writers being unable to properly work with it, and that this will herald a return to the quality we saw from the first two movies. 

I hope so, anyway. Because I feel this one failed too, it'll probably be the last Lego movie for a good while. 

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think we should get another trailer soon. 

The first trailer came in June and I expect at least 3 trailers overall, with the final being released shortly after the holiday season.

The LEGO Batman Movie got the 4th trailer by November, 2016.

NYCC is less than a month away. We might even get more sets revealed as well.

TLNM also suffered from too many cooks in the kitchen. I wouldn't be too worried at this point.

9 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I can confirm there’s still another 3 months of filming for TLM2 left to be done.

Um, link or personal source? :shrug_confused:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I love this. 

Love the red bat logo. Batman Beyond anyone?

What are your thoughts.  

You think we just receive the one bat custume minifigure or more?

And do we receive a wasteland vehicle for the Batman or nothing at all? 

Take into account the rumored 5 batman sets for the DC theme. 

Also noticed before hand your into your custom batman builds / mocs. 

You but any instructions and build them too?

Edited by Lionbear8

17 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I can confirm there’s still another 3 months of filming for TLM2 left to be done.

What???

You mean post-production, right?

Because if they still need to film 2 whole months of new footage and then edit it... then it's pretty much imposible this film will be out next February.

The only thing I can think of are real action scences with Finn and her sister

16 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Um, link or personal source? :shrug_confused:

Matthew Ashton

Sorry my bad I misread the tweet, 3 months of development which includes some filming left.

Source: 

Let us remember that it's been said that TLNM was in production until two weeks before it released (most likely due to creative differences).

It's actually quite nice to hear that they'll be done within a month before the movie releases.

Oh ok then

"Development" doesnt sound as bad as "3 months of filming left".

Honestly I thought the movie was already finished. Chris Pratt recorded his Emmet lines like 2 years ago

Just now, Robert8 said:

Oh ok then

"Development" doesnt sound as bad as "3 months of filming left".

Honestly I thought the movie was already finished. Chris Pratt recorded his Emmet lines like 2 years ago

Brilliant! :grin:

Can’t wait to see what Rex Dangervest will look like, what kind of pieces/look do you think he’ll have?

Sounds like a parody of Owen to me. Chris Pratt seems to love his Owen minifigure, so maybe that's why they included a character like that. 

Also, Chris Pratt is one of the few actors -if not the only one- who is in contract with the 3 biggest film studios right now for blockbuster franchises: Disney - Guardians, Universal - Jurassic World and Warner - The LEGO Movies 

So, the character might be a parody of Pratt himself.

Edited by Robert8

On 9/16/2018 at 10:56 PM, Robert8 said:

Sounds like a parody of Owen to me. Chris Pratt seems to love his Owen minifigure, so maybe that's why they included a character like that. 

Also, Chris Pratt is one of the few actors -if not the only one- who is in contract with the 3 biggest film studios right now for blockbuster franchises: Disney - Guardians, Universal - Jurassic World and Warner - The LEGO Movies 

So, the character might be a parody of Pratt himself.

Whoa, he’s doing so well! Thank you God!

On 9/16/2018 at 4:50 PM, J4ck said:

Can’t wait to see what Rex Dangervest will look like, what kind of pieces/look do you think he’ll have?

Well, according to this IGN article...

A clip from the upcoming LEGO Movie sequel shown exclusively at San Diego Comic-Con today showed Rex Dangervest surrounded by raptor pals. Dangervest also dons a jetpack, guns, and a costume that are clear nods to Star-Lord from Guardians of the Galaxy.

...so going by that, I'd imagine his look would probably be a fusion of cowboy garbs (as a reference to The Magnificent Seven remake he starred in), Star Lord's outfit, Owen Grady from the Jurassic World trilogy, and perhaps a little bit of Indiana Jones thrown in there (the character is described by some sources to be a part-time archaeologist, not to mention that Pratt was rumored by some awhile ago to be up for the role of a younger Jones for the fifth film).

If you ask me, this character sounds like he already deserves a spin-off movie of his own! :smug: