Robert8

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

1 hour ago, LegoShroom said:

But TLBM hardly acknowledged TLM so I hope that they do the same here.

I would be shocked if LEGO Batman doesn't reference the events of The LEGO Batman Movie.

18 hours ago, LegoShroom said:

But TLBM hardly acknowledged TLM so I hope that they do the same here.

To be fair, who's to say that we were following the adventures of the exact same Batman minifigure in both films? If they just happen to be different stories being told by different kids that both feature a Batman minifigure, it could go some way to explaining the inconsistencies people see in Batman's characterisation between the two films (him learning to work in a team etc.)

8 hours ago, Fatoran said:

To be fair, who's to say that we were following the adventures of the exact same Batman minifigure in both films? If they just happen to be different stories being told by different kids that both feature a Batman minifigure, it could go some way to explaining the inconsistencies people see in Batman's characterisation between the two films (him learning to work in a team etc.)

I've never understood why people see that as an inconsistency. Lego Batman in BOTH movies already could work in a team, albeit poorly (his membership in the Justice League suggests he has done so in the past in TLBM, even though they predictably chose not to invite a jerk like him to a party). The moral of the story wasn't about working as a team, but about forming meaningful emotional relationships and being part of a family (two skills that he showed absolutely no mastery of in TLM).

The same abyss from the first movie being beneath Gotham (complete with file footage of the events of the first movie on the news segment) seems to be evidence enough that they're the same Batman.

I certainly hope to hear of some more details on both TLM2 and The Billion Brick Race at the SDCC panel for TLNM.

Regarding the question I posed earlier about other licenses and themes appearing in the sequel, I plausibly could see characters from Scooby Doo or other Hanna Barbera franchises making at least cameo appearances, since after all, they are WB properties which easily could be incorporated into the film.

On 6/17/2017 at 2:33 PM, Actor Builder said:

It'd be cool to have a BIONICLE side character do some stuff, but it would be a good bit to have a Galidor character as well.

Other "big bang" themes could make a much more prominent presence beyond references and cameos, such as Nexo Knights, especially since the theme will continue on for at least another year. Given the discontent over the theme from traditional castle fans, perhaps it would be fun to see this parodied by depicting a battlefield scene pitting the Nexo Knights against classic Lego castle knights. :laugh:

Now I'm not so sure how @x105Black would feel about that. :tongue:

Regarding The LEGO Movie 2:

We’re picking up where the first movie left us, where the Duplo have now come and they’re attacking Bricksburg. It’s several years later, and you’re going to see the result of that.

I’m really excited about where the movie is gonna go because it’s about these things that are actual notions that people have that might even be unconscious biases, where people don’t even realize that that’s the way they’re looking at the world.

Sourcee: https://www.thebrickfan.com/the-lego-movie-sequel-story-revealed/

Wow, this sounds really awesome! So maybe for the first time in years we may get Duplo and System pieces in one set? That could be interesting...

21 minutes ago, jhuyser said:

Wow, this sounds really awesome! So maybe for the first time in years we may get Duplo and System pieces in one set? That could be interesting...

A lot of people have been talking about this as if the Duplo will play a huge role in the plot—I wouldn't necessarily be so sure. Remember, this isn't about the actual Duplo invasion, but the aftermath years later, by which point all of the humans (Finn's sister included) will be older. We might certainly get some Duplo but based on the plot description I would expect Finn's sister to have also moved on to Friends (which would itself be quite a milestone, if a set included both minifigures and mini-dolls).

Just now, Lyichir said:

A lot of people have been talking about this as if the Duplo will play a huge role in the plot—I wouldn't necessarily be so sure. Remember, this isn't about the actual Duplo invasion, but the aftermath years later, by which point all of the humans (Finn's sister included) will be older. We might certainly get some Duplo but based on the plot description I would expect Finn's sister to have also moved on to Friends (which would itself be quite a milestone, if a set included both minifigures and mini-dolls).

True. Actually the full "Point of view" thing could be really interesting to show if they were to use minidolls with Finns sister having the minidolls to show her world and Finn to have minifigures to show his world.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Regarding The LEGO Movie 2:

I’m really excited about where the movie is gonna go because it’s about these things that are actual notions that people have that might even be unconscious biases, where people don’t even realize that that’s the way they’re looking at the world.

Called it.

Just now, Hart New Bob said:

But really?  Their starting this late? (This is late IMO)

The sequel's release date currently is February 2019, so I wouldn't say they're running that late.

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The sequel's release date currently is February 2019, so I wouldn't say they're running that late.

I might be confused, is it filming any live action scenes, or the movie in general?

Here is the full Collider article linked on The Brick Fan for anyone interested.

http://collider.com/the-lego-movie-2-story-phil-lord-chris-miller/#sequel-details

With the starting of production and revealing of these additional details, this all has me wondering if maybe we might see an official title card and/or announcement trailer for the sequel unveiled at New York Comic Con come the weekend of October 5th-8th. :shrug_oh_well:

Also, and this is kind of really reaching here, perhaps maybe such an announcement may also come with the potential greenlighting of future cinematic spinoffs, but it would all depend upon the success of The Lego Ninjago Movie a few weeks earlier.

39 minutes ago, Hart New Bob said:

I might be confused, is it filming any live action scenes, or the movie in general?

According to the article I initially linked, the filming in question will take place in a studio in British Columbia, so I guess it will be involving live action scenes primarily.

On 15. 9. 2017 at 2:51 AM, jhuyser said:

True. Actually the full "Point of view" thing could be really interesting to show if they were to use minidolls with Finns sister having the minidolls to show her world and Finn to have minifigures to show his world.

It would be awesome!:laugh: I'm really excited to see LEGO sets using both minifigures and minidolls.:wink:

On 22/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, Fatoran said:

Confirmed for you:

This is the same Batman and The LEGO Batman Movie takes place after The LEGO Movie

37076151500_aff21ba4b4_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Confirmed for you:

This is the same Batman and The LEGO Batman Movie takes place after The LEGO Movie

I don't think that confirms it, they put Easter eggs in sets all the time.

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Confirmed for you:

Was this ever up for debate? They have the same voice actor, and footage from The Lego Movie appears as file footage on a newscast. His character arc also transitions well between the end of The Lego Movie (where he gets very little development outside of recognizing that Wyldstyle can do better than him) and TLBM (where he actually becomes a better person and learns to actually open up to other people). There's no real reason to assume that he's NOT the same character.

On 9/14/2017 at 9:53 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Also, and this is kind of really reaching here, perhaps maybe such an announcement may also come with the potential greenlighting of future cinematic spinoffs, but it would all depend upon the success of The Lego Ninjago Movie a few weeks earlier.

Considering the Ninjago Movie turned out to be a flop, I would think twice if I were Lego about going full steam ahead in the movie department. The Lego Movie 2 will probably be our best way of knowing whether or not Lego themed movies are actually viable in the long haul. 

I think Lego themed movies are strong except that Lego's attempts at making their own personal IPs (aside from the GENERIC Lego IP of The Lego Movie) are NOT designed to appeal to adults. That's a HUGE thing they have going against them. If they made Ninjago interesting to anyone above the age of 12 I think it would have done better. But even a LOT of ALOFs just simply ignore the likes of Ninjago, Nexus Knights, etc instead going to 3rd party franchises or CITYish stuff.

The Lego Movie did well because it appealed to everyone. Lego Ninjago just doesn't. By applying a random non-generic IP to Lego it alienates adults IMO.

BUT I think The Lego Movie 2 will do wonderful. I hope it's good. I don't see how they can make a movie BETTER than The Lego Movie. It was a masterpiece. I just don't see them ever doing better lol.

3 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Considering the Ninjago Movie turned out to be a flop...

It's been out for four days. :hmpf_bad:

Again, this has been the worst box office year since 2001. The fact that Ninjago is doing this well is pretty good for most movies in this really, really difficult time in the movie business. If you aren't Disney and don't have some sort of unwavering critical acclaim (which LEGO does not have), you aren't going to hit your projections during this season, even if the movie is promoted hard.

10 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Again, this has been the worst box office year since 2001. The fact that Ninjago is doing this well is pretty good for most movies in this really, really difficult time in the movie business. If you aren't Disney and don't have some sort of unwavering critical acclaim (which LEGO does not have), you aren't going to hit your projections during this season, even if the movie is promoted hard.

I agree.  Finally, someone understands.

We don't know yet if Ninjago will be a flop

But it will underperform, like the LEGO Batman Movie. That's for sure

15 hours ago, BrickG said:

I think Lego themed movies are strong except that Lego's attempts at making their own personal IPs (aside from the GENERIC Lego IP of The Lego Movie) are NOT designed to appeal to adults. That's a HUGE thing they have going against them. If they made Ninjago interesting to anyone above the age of 12 I think it would have done better. But even a LOT of ALOFs just simply ignore the likes of Ninjago, Nexus Knights, etc instead going to 3rd party franchises or CITYish stuff.

The Lego Movie did well because it appealed to everyone. Lego Ninjago just doesn't. By applying a random non-generic IP to Lego it alienates adults IMO.

I think this is an overly simplistic point of view. First of all, there's really no reason adults can't enjoy Ninjago as much as any other theme. Granted, it doesn't have the inherent nostalgic draw of LEGO themes that already existed when we were kids or themes based on movies that existed when we were kids, but the building level is far more advanced than, say, City or Castle, and even the story told in the TV series has way more substance to it than stuff like the Transformers movies.

Perhaps more importantly, there are plenty of kids' animated movies that manage to thrive without relying on adult audiences. Pokémon: The First Movie, for example, was critically panned in the US but still made $31 million in its opening weekend. The Cars movies are frequently derided as much more childish than other Pixar fare (there's a reason the Cars 3 sets were released as part of the Duplo and Juniors themes), but Cars 2 had a $66 million opening weekend and Cars 3 had a $53 million opening weekend in the US. I understand that as adults we often want to think our opinions are important, but in the fields of toys and animated movies they're often nowhere near as significant as how actual kids feel.

And last but not least, even if we assume that The LEGO Ninjago Movie performed worse than the others due to a lack of adult appeal, that doesn't mean its performance had anything to do with lack of AFOL appeal. Just as AFOLs make up a very small slice of the market for LEGO sets, we also make up a very small slice of adult moviegoers. And the adults whose perspectives probably have the biggest impact on the success or failure of a kids' animated movie are parents, not AFOLs. If the LEGO movies' box office sales depended on the movie's AFOL appeal, then chances are they all would have bombed — after all, even if there were a million AFOLs out there and every last one of them bought two average-priced (at the time, $8.17) tickets to the opening of The LEGO Movie, it would have accounted for less than a fourth of the movie's actual opening weekend box office revenue.

16 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

I was largely referring to the reviews, sorry if I wasn't clear. While it doesn't look like it's going to do particularly well, the actual reviews are what stand out to me. It has a rating of 51% on Rotten Tomatoes, compared to TLM's 96% and TLBM's 91%. Those ratings will not improve much, if at all, over time, and it's safe to say that TLNM was a big drop-off quality wise in the eyes of experts. If I'm Lego, I'm worried.

1 hour ago, BrickJagger said:

I was largely referring to the reviews, sorry if I wasn't clear. While it doesn't look like it's going to do particularly well, the actual reviews are what stand out to me. It has a rating of 51% on Rotten Tomatoes, compared to TLM's 96% and TLBM's 91%. Those ratings will not improve much, if at all, over time, and it's safe to say that TLNM was a big drop-off quality wise in the eyes of experts. If I'm Lego, I'm worried.

That number is jut the percent of people who rated the movie positively. The actual rating for The Lego Ninjago Movie is 5.8 on Rotten Tomatoes, making it slightly better but still pretty bad.

Edited by GentlemanJoker