TheLegoPerson9

Do you have any other hobbies?

I know Lego can be expensive but I was wondering; Do you have other hobbies as well?

Me? I like to collect die-cast cars. It's difficult for me to balance the two, though.

I just recently started to figure skate. I've just fallen in love with it. I wish I had started doing it when I was a kid.

yep, classic air cooled Volkswagens which is more of an outdoor, summer hobby, while LEGO is my cold winter occupation.

I have too many hobbies so none get as much time as they should...I collect build and race old Tamiya Radio Controlled cars, have been hooked on them since I got my first kit age 9. I also play guitar in a band. Lego probably gets most of my time but I do get into one or other thing heavily for a few months to the detriment of everything else. Sometimes I wish I only had one main interest, it would be a lot easier!

Yes, many. I am an avid reader and I collect eBooks. I have over 2000 and I use a software program to sort them, browse them and organize them. I like to get nice covers for them off Google Images so that, for example, all the series books match. Then when I browse in cover mode, it is like looking at a real shelf.

I also recently became interested in a drawing method called Zentangle. It involves filling different sections of an abstract design with precise, repetitive patterns. After an initial investment due to some trial and error in finding the right supplies, I now have a preferred notebook and marker and it is a cheap hobby. I go on Pinterest to get new pattern ideas and I keep a pattern book (on paper, using a template I made) so my drawing time is split between getting and updating the patterns and actually drawing.

My guy collects baseball cards. He used to be a gamer, but when he sold his xbox, he to my surprise did not replace it. He said he would rather do Lego with me :-) We just got a second Apple TV for the main room so we can watch TV shows while we build :-)

besides lego, i also play my 3ds xl, surf the web, watch tv, and began playing "dead rising: Chop till you drop" last night on the wii.

the wii game is stuck on hold for a couple days until i can stop coughing(allergies are acting up due to wonky weather). Coughing + trying to shoot a zombie or trying to konk them with random stuff won't work! wound up neuturing a few via bullet yesterday thanks to coughing. XD

I am a huge tea enthusiast, Shi Feng Long Jing is my favorite. Though last year I got a really I quality teapot for Da Fo Long Jing and it made it much better. I also like Mei Jia Wu Long Jing, and have visited Mei Jia Wu. I have had a huge verity of the top of the line Long Jing teas from reputable merchants (within price constraints...) and must say that if you drink it regularly and mindfully you can really taste the difference even with the same cultivar. I also like teas other than this one specific verity from a small region near Hangzhou.

Also I make Japanese style-esque ceramics at a Japanese Art Studio and Tea House; play table top and board games; am a bit a sartorialist; love a good beer/spirit; collect books; and until I gave them all away had a huge DVD collection.

I also like monkeys, but as a frequent poster in the Pirates sub-forum I think that goes without saying.

Well have a lot of interest for a lot of things. Even like fashion ( but more retro ), design, architecture, ferries, cruise ships.

Aside from Lego and other classic toys and classic cartoons ( turtles, dinoriders, gijoe, TFs, visionaries, etc ) and other media i of course enjoy sports, travel ( i actually like spending time at airports and ferry terminals! :blush: ), reading a good book. But writing a book i prefer even more. I'm almost finished with my first adventure novel which will be published very soon and i intend to write more of them.

I also write movie scripts that i hope to sell, and perhaps even make it to the movie business myself.

Well, creating things my passion and dream. Right now i can only write them, think them in my head. But i'd love to work in a team and see all those thing come to life. Produce own comics, toys, games, cartoons. :wub:

Hmmm... let's see.... LEGO... no, not that one... LEGO... LEGO.... um... did I say LEGO? The topic is besides LEGO, yeah? Welp, I've got nothing...

Haha, jokes aside, I definitely have a reading hobby (well, addiction at this point, up to 2 books a week!), sports (especially hockey, Canada at the juniors son!) and as dumb as this may sound, learning.The Khan academy online resource is an amazing tool for learning all the things high school would never teach you and the universities here will never offer you unless you have the money. Money is pretty tight, so aside from those and LEGO, nothing else really.

Well, LEGO is the one I would consider strictly a hobby. But I suppose music could be considered a hobby too, if so I certainly spend a lot of time on it, and reading as well (easily up to two books a week on average, usually one fiction and the other pretty solid non-fiction).

I suppose it depends on how you define "hobby". I will use the definition that it is something I do because I enjoy it, not because it is monetarily profitable.

LEGO is my most-devoted hobby.

I also like crafts such as woodworking, blacksmithing and other metal work, clay sculpting (especially ocarinas, or chamber flutes), drawing, painting, anything to do with arts and crafts (LEGO is my favorite art and craft medium).

One of my biggest passions is music, including singing, writing songs (instrumental and vocal), and instruments (I play piano, ocarina, and bagpipes, used to play trumpet in grade school, and have tinkered with violin, didgeridoo, and about any instument I can get my hands on :wink: ).

I am not a professional at any of them, but at least I am never bored! :grin:

And I agree with Jared that learning is always interesting!

Edited by Slegengr

I used to really enjoy creating elaborate costumes for Halloween. I would research a costume from a movie (Star Wars, Batman, Pirates of the Carribean, etc.), start gathering parts, and create it. I would buy the fabric, and sew them myself. I recently decided I didn't have enough time to do this any more, and it was taking time and funds from LEGO and my family. I just quit, and sold off most of my pieces and it's funded my LEGO hobby. I don't regret my decision at all.

I'll still make costumes for my kids for Halloween, but I won't obsess over it!

I have lots of geeky hobbies. The main one, apart from LEGO, is Dungeons & Dragons. Some people combine the two pastimes and use LEGO as part of their D&D games. I don't go that far, but I do MOC fantasy-themed minifigures many of which were inspired by D&D, e.g. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103694 , http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103215 , http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103765 and http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104265 .

I take and help teach a few different martial arts. I have two black blats and teach when the Master is away from the dojang.

I just recently started to figure skate. I've just fallen in love with it. I wish I had started doing it when I was a kid.

This is awesome^ My family is big on ice skating...Most of us took figure skating lessons when we were younger until we were adept skaters. We have an ice rink in our back yard every year. We're more into playing hockey than figure skating, but I recently had the epiphany that if I was ever to take up another sport figure skating would be a big contender.

And I agree with Jared that learning is always interesting!

:laugh:

I was fortunate enough to have a teacher who always tried to make us do work and learn outside of the classroom. I miss him. He's better than 95% of the teachers I've met to this day.

Carpe diem my friend!!!

I collect vinyl (records) and TMNT action figures (new, but mostly old). All of which are pretty expensive, which is why they all slowly grow. My main focus as of late has been Lego. Good thing I have an understanding wife!

I used to paint Lord of the Rings figures from Games Workshop, but the figures became too expensive and my painting desk got taken over by Lego. I still consider LARPing a hobby, but I haven't had time to do it recently. I do play a lot of table-top RPGs with friends though and I game a lot.

I used to restore and tune 70s mopeds (real mopeds with pedals, not scooters). I did a lot of fabricating custom parts as I got more into it. Had upwards of 15 mopeds at once at the peak, only have one left at this point.

Bought stuff at yard sales and auctions and sold it on ebay, mainly vintage technology: film cameras, projectors and films, reel to reels, sewing machines, commodore 64 stuff, etc. As part of this I collect, restore, and use Polaroid cameras. This hobby is also winding down at the moment.

Photography in general, although this fits in well with LEGO as it gives me something to take pictures of.

Edited by Vorkosigan

Reading, writing, researching (I'm often obsessively researching whatever has most recently captured my interest), Harry Potter fandom, Marvel movies, getting (back) into photography... I used to hang out on Neopets when it was more of an adult/all ages website. I tend to like lots of indie/art house movies, but only see alot of them when I have movie buddies with similar taste. I'm sure there's other stuff I'll think of later. My interests often cycle around, so I'll do something intensely, take a break, then come back to it or to something similar.