Barduck

MOC DDA40X

After LEGO Train 12V's 7 wide version it's time to finally post the pictures of my 8 wide version (wel, actually 10 wide on most of the roof). She's become a real beast featuring just over 2900 parts, 109 studs in length, 4 PF train motors, 2 PF recievers and 2 PF batterypacks. Recieved my lettering yesterday morning and spend the better part of the afternoon putting everything in place, hence the delay in posting the pictures of the finished MOC.

So here she is:

16220606792_547831b548.jpg

16033898358_a0ee9a29c5.jpg

15599003434_cfcd549a48.jpg

15599003274_40b5753c95.jpg

16035587387_77a44a28ca.jpg

16035587297_834f735e78.jpg

16035587217_a67d95df0f.jpg

16219538581_789e74432a.jpg

The lucky driver posing with his engine:

16221410265_9087763992.jpg

16220605432_10e29597b9.jpg

16035586037_38066dabf7.jpg

DDA40X by Barduck12, on Flickr

Building instructions of this beast have also been added to my Bricklink: http://www.bricklink...e.asp?p=Barduck

For the WIP topic (and there's a vid of her running too): http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102228

Edited by Barduck

Wow, that looks amazing.

Nice job Barduck, I particually like the detailing on the sides of the trucks.

Gosh, this is real train monster, but I like it :) lucky you that your HE 10233 (on YT movie) has stopped on the left side of the layout, I'm not sure it would be possible on the right side :blush:

Wow, that thing is huge! Though that is what UP was going for when they got them in the first place. The details are top notch. If you have time, it would be neat to see a shot of how you concealed two train motors in those detailed trucks and how you made them work together. Does it do standard curves at all, or does it need wider radius? With all of the weight in that build and the long span, you clearly did a good job engineering the frame. I see no trace of any sagging.

I'll try to post some extra pictures of the underside of the trucks in the weekend. For the moment I'll just say this, there's nothing "difficult" about them, I just hope the explanation will make any sence. The trucks are mounted on a 6x24 train base in the holes closed to the center, the wires of each engine goes thru the opposide hole in the frame. As for the frame, yes that was my biggest concern, specially with the opening in the train in the centre. Most of the stress is taken by the tank and the middle roof part, specially the tank may be a bit over-enginered. It was however not very easy attaching the tank to the train, and should one or the other (tank/middle roof) be removed she'd still bend under her weight. They both do their job together and so far they're doing it right

Edited by Barduck

Whoa is that thing massive. The pics with the minifig really put it into perspective. Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee ... "That's not a locomotive, THIS is a locomotive!"

Oh man, seeing the underside of the trucks that is great. I remain amazed that you pulled it off.

When I started designing her I've based a lot of the build on DmChylde's 6-wide version. I saw his early designing steps for the trucks:

8409423990_a8db36b2b4.jpg

DDA40X by DmChylde, on Flickr

and that got me thinking. It would be much easier to build her with train bases as trucks, there are allready the connection points for the motors in place so that would save me a lot of plates etc to make the trucks frames. Only question was, seeing that DmChylde was using the standard LEGO motors sides, would she be able to run with a detailed side? So I took an RC base plate, put 2 motors on it and build a quick and dirty brickwall around it to test it. And it worked. Now I had the space to put the detailed sides on the trucks without having to worry about the motors being in the way. Only thing I did do was to cut the 6 long technic axles by half a stud so that those too wouldn't be touching the sides

Obviously, not. My guess is that DmChylde put those in red in LDD for design purposes, to have a better view on what could work and what not (something I do too when designing)