montgocloud

Top 10 Movies of 2014

This year has been a great year in film, far better than 2013. So, like last year, I'd like to hear everyone's opinions! Choose five, choose ten, choose as many as you'd like.

1. Whiplash (dir. Damien Chazelle)

2. Birdman (dir. Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu)

3. Snowpiercer (dir. Bong Joon-ho)

4. Jodorowsky's Dune (dir. Frank Pavich)

5. Gone Girl (dir. David Fincher)

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (dir. Wes Anderson)

7. Listen Up Philip (dir. Alex Ross Perry)

8. Life Itself (dir. Steve James)

9. Nightcrawler (dir. Dan Gilroy)

10. Enemy (dir. Denis Villeneuve)

On my list, Interstellar is at no. 2, and TLM is at no. 3. As for my no. 1... don't ask. You'd say I'm a blithering idiot for absolutely loving it (I wasn't).

Edited by XAxles

1) The Winter Soldier

2) Guardians of the Galaxy

3) Big Hero 6

4) The Lego Movie

5) Mockingjay pt 1

6) How to Train Your Dragon 2

7) Godzilla

8) Into the Woods

With studies I didn't have nearly enough time too get down to the cinema but from what I saw, my favourites were 1~Guardians of the galaxy

2~X-men days of future past.

3~ Lego Movie [my childhood fantasy realised]

4~The Winter Soldier

Edited by Steph 104th

The Winter Soldier

The Imitation Game

Maze Runner

The Guardians Of the Galaxy

The Battle of the Five Armies

Godzilla

22 Jump Street

The Lego Movie

Robocop

The Inbetweeners 2

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Transformers: Age Of Extinction

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

The Lego Movie

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Ninja Turtles

This year has been a great year in film, far better than 2013. So, like last year, I'd like to hear everyone's opinions! Choose five, choose ten, choose as many as you'd like.

1. Whiplash (dir. Damien Chazelle)

2. Birdman (dir. Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu)

3. Snowpiercer (dir. Bong Joon-ho)

4. Jodorowsky's Dune (dir. Frank Pavich)

5. Gone Girl (dir. David Fincher)

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (dir. Wes Anderson)

7. Listen Up Philip (dir. Alex Ross Perry)

8. Life Itself (dir. Steve James)

9. Nightcrawler (dir. Dan Gilroy)

10. Enemy (dir. Denis Villeneuve)

Your tastes are a little highbrow for Eurobricks. No licensed characters or Lego sets in your list! :laugh:

I vacillate between the high and the low, though recently, it's been more low than high. From your list, I saw Birdman, Gone Girl, and the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Probably, I liked Gone Girl the most, it was the one which drew me out the most. I wanted to know what was happening. Birdman was interesting too, but I liked Edward Norton more than Keaton. I liked TGBH too, but Anderson movies have started being impersonal to me. I loved Rushmore, and it's been diminishing returns since.

I also really liked:

Boyhood: Genuinely emotional, made me remember so much of my teens. Just amazing.

Lucy: that was a rare movie. No chance for a sequel, just a steady, logical escalation of things. Really interesting, but probably not going in the pantheon.

Edge of Tomorrow: Holy, this was unexpected. Tom Cruise sucks, but he appears in good movies sometimes. He chose a great script, a great director, and made a movie that nobody saw in the theater. It's interesting. Genuinely interesting.

Foxcatcher: Channing Tatum is awesome. Mark Ruffalo was invisible. A creepy, compelling movie. I was in uni when the 'true story' happened, and I don't remember it happening at all, so this was fresh for me.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Star Wars vs Indiana Jones. I've seen Super, and expected this to be good, but this surpassed any pop expectations I had.

Chef: made me feel happy. It's a bit of wish fulfilment on the part of Jon Favereau, but still very positive.

Nebraska: Same as with Anderson, I'm less pulled in as we get away from Election. I get why people make serious, heavy works, but it's not so fun to watch. I liked it, but I'll never rematch it, and I've rewatched Election three or four times.

The first 20 minutes of Captain America 2: holy shit, Captain America taking down a boat of terrorists. I know Marvel needs to go big all the time, but the small stuff is where it kicks butt. I would really enjoy seeing a movie of a small scale mission. Though I loved seeing Arnim Zola too.

I watched the Interview last week and was very pleasantly surprised. The reviews were so down on it, it made it all the better. Thinking of the 1980's political comedies like Stripes or Spies Like Us, well, the Interview is definitely better. Neighbours was better than the Interview, but the Interview was a solid comedy.

In alphabetical order:

Big Hero 6

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Guardians of the Galaxy

The LEGO Movie

Whiplash

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Godzilla and The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies weren't bad, but not really that special either.

Still haven't seen Birdman, Boyhood, or Interstellar.

Edited by Sir Gareth

I was out of the country for 2014, so I caught up with them all in 2015: Here are some favorites mostly from those you all have already mentioned.

The Lego Movie

Mockingjay Part 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

Big Hero 6

Captain America 2

Definitely the surprise ones for me where The Day After Tomorrow: Live Die Repeat which was surprisingly fun, witty, and the closest interpretation to a Halo multiplayer session come to life I have ever seen. Also The Imitation Game, a bit of history I was not aware that had happened dealing with the rise of the modern computer.