Never heard about this one before. As much as the build is interesting it's rather strange. I can't find a reason why would Danish Navy order it, and it looks somewhat creepy. I mean, it's creator obiously had a lot of original ideas, like with those coins, horses, or monkeys, on the other hand, i don't really like painting them and cutting them in half, as well as gluing those coins. It's somewhat against the rules of bulding with bricks. As if he wasn't sure what was he building. Also it looks a bit amateur in money ways, masts are crooked and about to fall. I can turn a blind eye to barrels and palm trees. But seriously, Fabuland doors?

It simply doesn't look proffesional, not proffesional enough to be bought by a musem.

And there's a guy dressed as a lady! pir_laugh2.gif Or maybe that's a lady with a moustache pirate_wink.gif

It's biggest value is probably it's size, lot of parts ( although a lot of them wasted because of paint and glue ), and... it's obviously very old. Must have like twenty years already, looking at those classic parts and figures used. pirate_classic.gif

Edited by Mazin

I think I saw it on ToysnBricks last year. I didn't think much of it as I use TnB for sales and deals info and that was way out of my price range. :classic:

Well, take it with a grain of salt. If its as old as you theorize, it was long before Bricklink, Shapeways and Eurobricks. Who ever built it was on their own to supply parts and solutions. I don't much care for the painted, cut, glued or drilled pieces my self, but you have to respect the scope if the thing. It doesn't appear to me to be built to commission. It has the pallor of a personal indulgence, modified over time. She could defiantly use some TLC and a good dusting as well.

Though there is plenty to wonder about and criticize on the model with out the benefit of the original builder in the conversation, I'm more stunned at the price it's going for. I'd never believe that there would be a market for Lego model ships, as such, but here it is. If this one can garner $1800 American, what can some of the newer, more refined, builds around here fetch?

Well, take it with a grain of salt. If its as old as you theorize, it was long before Bricklink, Shapeways and Eurobricks. Who ever built it was on their own to supply parts and solutions. I don't much care for the painted, cut, glued or drilled pieces my self, but you have to respect the scope if the thing. It doesn't appear to me to be built to commission. It has the pallor of a personal indulgence, modified over time. She could defiantly use some TLC and a good dusting as well.

Though there is plenty to wonder about and criticize on the model with out the benefit of the original builder in the conversation, I'm more stunned at the price it's going for. I'd never believe that there would be a market for Lego model ships, as such, but here it is. If this one can garner $1800 American, what can some of the newer, more refined, builds around here fetch?

I think the price was because it is a original ship build by Lego and the danish people are much richer than the normal german (me) or american people. And the prices there are very high: One Example 1 Ltr Coke about 3 € and if you want to buy some nuts you have to go to the bank for a creditpir_laugh2.gif . (I was there for holiday last week). If it would be normal MOC from somebody the price has been much lower.

I hope you don't plan to sell your creations!

Not at all, I see no market for my particular brand anyway.pir_wacko.gif

Something which bugs me about this though; its billed as having been built by Lego, but why would Lego promote their product by sawing, gluing and painting pieces? The whole thing is rather intriguing and a bit curious.

That is absolutely stunning! The price is quite high. I always preferred building the set myself as that is always the most fun part, but some people prefer models I suppose.