GCO

MOD Modular Winter City

16009359638_e0389cd2ca_c.jpg

Every year in the Advent season our little village is getting busy. From December 1st to 23rd 23 different families are decorating a window in their house with a festive theme. Every host family serves mulled wine and snacks when they open their window and everybody who is coming can donate money to the "Heimatverein", a club devoted to the maintenance of local traditions. At 6 pm people are getting together in front of the (then wraped) window and a short speach, Christmas story or poem is held. Then the shutter opens and everybody can admire the decorated window.

Last year we took part the first time and with me and the kids being Lego fans it was soon clear what we wanted to do - a Lego window. It's nothing too special for you guys, just GE, PS, CC and GG covered in snow with a Christmas fair in front of them. We built the stalls with existing bricks as we don't have the Winter Village Market but we had to have Santa in his sleigh, with Rudolph having a red nose of course! :wink:

We filled the interiors with furniture and Minifigures to make that city really busy. Well, the visiting kids loved it and after the first evening the window glass was already covered with finger and nose prints. Hope you like it too! I try to post some more detail shots later.

GCO

16196026842_7088b67c05_c.jpg

Edited by GCO

Very nice! It looks just like Christmas in almost any small town, a very busy street with Christmas merrymakers. The lighting is just great!

Andy D

Great idea for a display and really well executed. You might have problems exceeding this next year though :classic:

Your display looks wonderful! We tried to do something similar in our window for Christmas, but weren't able to finish it this year. Thanks for sharing!

That's fantastic! Such a lovely, small town holiday season feeling, at an impressive scale. The Modulars and Winter Village elements you combined really work well together, and the "snow" you've added to the modulars is great as well. Thanks for sharing! :sweet:

Thanks for the nice words! Here are some detail shots!

16195384421_7193a02d99_c.jpg

16009785298_83162f35fa_c.jpg

16009784648_50a1880c3d_c.jpg

15577443203_129eab3132_c.jpg

16195381551_924a9e4540_c.jpg

16171418036_4fbb470046_c.jpg

16171417036_b8de627dd7_c.jpg

16195379441_7fd3327aee_c.jpg

16011467067_526540b893_c.jpg

15574854744_ee2014e7f4_c.jpg

16197253165_12ebb09bc8_c.jpg

16196441002_42777f7466_c.jpg

16171411086_ca0ac1eb3f_c.jpg

15574851084_dd75c9b6f0_c.jpg

16011460877_1d25281bc4_c.jpg

16196438162_f336ab017b_c.jpg

Edited by GCO

That looks great, and i have to say I love the sound of your village tradition to do these display windows, such a fantastic idea for bringing a community together :-)

Happy New Year :-)

Great idea for a display and really well executed. You might have problems exceeding this next year though :classic:

I guess you are right, Eurotrash. But we already have ideas for this year. We'll try with a MOC of the little church in our village... :classic:

Edited by GCO

Now that's a cool.....sorry for the pun being winter there but what a wonderful lit display 'GCO'......Brick On ! :classic:

I am impressed! This looks very nice and well thought out. How long does it take to do one of these? I love all the small details.

Well 'bitbang', it's really hard to tell. We had the modulars sitting on the shelf, so they were ready (besides the "snow" and added interior). I would say it took us around 10 hours. But I have to say that my kids helped to build it, so sometimes we worked on the display with more then just one person. Regarding the details: my kids came up with most of the little stories like the snowball fight and the horrified Minifigur kid plus the running mother. Or the mushroom heaters outside the Cafe Corner. Or the policeman arresting a pickpocket. I just arranged those groups on the display for an equal, realistic arrangement.

Decorating windows is a lovely idea for an area to do, and you've certainly done it with style! The lighting works really well and the amount of detail you've put in is amazing. The flying sleigh in the second pic is the best bit!

Very impressive lighting and interiors. The lively street scene is also very good. :thumbup:

This is a Tradition that sounds very good for any small village. It might also work for well for small town neighbourhoods or streets.

That is a beautiful display and a wonderful tradition. Even though GG / CC / GE are rather common they are still very nice buildings.

I know its almost the middle of January but am feeling Christmassy all over again!

Well 'bitbang', it's really hard to tell. We had the modulars sitting on the shelf, so they were ready (besides the "snow" and added interior). I would say it took us around 10 hours. But I have to say that my kids helped to build it, so sometimes we worked on the display with more then just one person. Regarding the details: my kids came up with most of the little stories like the snowball fight and the horrified Minifigur kid plus the running mother. Or the mushroom heaters outside the Cafe Corner. Or the policeman arresting a pickpocket. I just arranged those groups on the display for an equal, realistic arrangement.

That is awesome! I remember playing with legos with my younger cousins when they were kids (they are teens no so could care a less lol) and the things they came up with were so good and funny. I love seeing the creativity come out in a child on a building mission. I look forward to having my own kids one day just to share that with them. Considering the detail, the timing is quite good. Something like that would have taken me a good 2 weeks of 3 hours a day haha I would have changed the same thing 100+ times. This is why it takes me 4 hours to clean the house when it is just basic cleaning. haha