Sign in to follow this  
alanyuppie

[MOC] Triple changer mech Stormracer

When I started this project, I plan to recreate an obscure diaclone triple changer* that was abandoned last minute by Hasbro as a official character in their G1 Transformers cartoon series back in the 80s. I used yellow parts to prototype it because it's been a while since I build something using this color.

*try google "diaclone triple changer" to see which toy I am referring to =)

After a while, I came to a realisation that difficult compromises must be made to ensure both vehicle modes (jet plane and helicopter) looks good. But the good thing is, my prototyping yielded something else.... instead of a jet, it looks potentially viable as a decent speedboat. So , there!

storm9205_zps0bc11b33.jpg

TRIVIA:

- I actually contemplating changing the color scheme to blue or white when this project almost reaches 90% completion, but changed my mind coz I had been building alot of blue LEGO creations lately (and I'm reserving white parts for another upcoming triple changer project)

- One of the most trivial thing I spent many,many hours on was making a weapon for this guy that can be integrated in both the vehicle modes.

- The retractable tyres on the back of the helicopter are quite weak. If I don't position them at the right angle (85 - 95 degrees), they fall down flat ,unable to hold the weight of the helicopter.

- 5 mini balljoints (introduced in LEGO LEGO Mixels) were used in this built... including one applied to the robot neck making it more articulated that ever.

- I initially used a pair of dark gray rudders for the speedboat mode, but I snapped broken the c-clip of one of the part and I don't have a replacement part. Ended up using black rudders instead. :|

storm9232_zps6461ba4d.jpg

^ the rifle is meant for the robot mode, now integrated into the vehicle as a non-weapon component

storm9237_zps85f4d476.jpg

^ The cockpit can fit one minifig snugly.

TRANSFORMATION HIGHLITES (to speedboat)

storm11_zps404bacc6.jpg

^ tailfin split into half to become pontoons.

storm12_zps4f29b53d.jpg

^ the dark gray stud on the side of the tailfin are connected to secure the poontoons formation.

storm9322_zps2fc7f84c.jpg

TRANSFORMATION HIGHLITES (to robot)

storm31_zps6d678d31.jpg

^ As the nosecone unfolded, you can see how the minifig pilot is connected , via his feet to the light gray bracket part.

storm32_zpsfa5bf7fb.jpg

^ The yellow c-clip helps to secure the folded-up tailfin halves with a gap/hole to accomodate such c-clip. Without such mechanism.. they will be left dangling and disrupt the poseability of the legs.

storm9420_zpsf860ebba.jpg

^ Pilot ended up at the back of the robot mode after transformation complete, but his presence there prevents the waist from being rotated.

storm9444_zpse615bfd2.jpg

^ Thanks to the mini balljoints implemented on the shoulder, this guy can perform some serious kung fu stance. :)

storm9466_zpsc5099651.jpg

... and not to mention, ability to hold the weapons with both hands.

storm9450_zpsd544b91b.jpg

My favorite photo of all from the whole lot.

To view more photos including detailed transformation sequence, do visit my blog entries below :

helicopter and speedboat mode:

Alanyuppie's LEGO Transformers: LEGO Triple Changer Stormracer Part 1 of 2: Vehicle Modes

robot mode:

Alanyuppie's LEGO Transformers: LEGO Triple Changer Stormracer Part 2 of 2: Robot Mode

Hope you enjoy my works. thanks guys! This year will be my "year of the (LEGO) Transformers Combiner" as well, so I'll focus on that more.

Edited by alanyuppie

as usual, you have a very stunning legoformer. cool man! i'm always following your blog (and commenting too sometimes...) and your creation never cease to amaze me, even now.

This looks heavily armed and transforms surprisingly well - great job!

(initially I was reminded of "Little Nellie" but this is definitely something bigger and better here.)

This looks heavily armed and transforms surprisingly well - great job!

(initially I was reminded of "Little Nellie" but this is definitely something bigger and better here.)

LOL. I just googled "Little Nellie" and actually like what I saw ! Anyway.. I was planning to make this MOC a civilian helicopter (not weaponized) but I got carried away afterwards with the cannons at the side.

Very nice, but the wedge plate on the arm really bothers me because it's quite bare... all in all, amazing job though!!