bitbang

Are you the only lego fan in your family?

I ask because in my small family, I am the only fan. Some of the kids like legos but they like them for the toy reason, not the collector or professional building reasons. lol Because of this, people have trouble buying me gift because they all like getting me lego sets but 7 times out of 10, they aren't good sets or ones I wanted or needed. I end up using a handful of pieces and tossing the rest in my dump drawer. lol

I'm the only Lego fan in my family. My cousin used to like them a little when he was younger, but he's embarrassed by them now. We went to the grand opening of the Indianapolis store a few years ago, and he was too embarrassed to take my picture in front of the giant Buzz Lightyear. :hmpf_bad:

Hopefully, someday I will have kids who are huge Lego fans. :classic:

My sister and brother-in-law love Legos too, and they're trying to get their 3-year-old to start, but considering they end up building all the sets they bought for him, I don't think it's going to work. We have very diverse interests though. My brother-in-law is into Star Wars, my sister buys anything affordable that catches her eye (leading to her large collection of little City and Friends sets) and I am building a city, so collecting modular buildings and anything that fits in and around them. My sister does have a 4842 Hogwarts Castle, which I'm extremely envious of.

Yes only fan... Also living in a small country and town SUCKS because you cannot meet other fans IRL... I need to move in a bigger city...

My friends, partner and immediate family don't care about lego, but know I adore it. my niece's husband is an AFOL, but I don't really have contact with 'm.

people have trouble buying me gift because they all like getting me lego sets but 7 times out of 10, they aren't good sets or ones I wanted or needed.

I had the same "problem" (and still have, to an extent), but I found a simple solution: I told everybody, if they wanted to give me a Lego gift, they'll make me happy with Basic/Classic sets (I can always use bricks for my MOCs), Creator or Friends sets (again, most bricks in those I can use), minifigs (some extra inhabitants to my dioramas are always welcome), and they can always get me gift cards. And my friends and partner know I don't want Technic or merchandise.

Of course which sets or bricks you can use differ from person to person, but I'm sure there are some general (and EASY to get for non-fans) gift ideas you can come up with; maybe green baseplates, or Star Wars micro's, or whatever floats your boat. Or ask them to ask you what sets you want.

I'm always thankful if people buy me a Lego gift, even if it's something I'm not very interested in; there are always some bricks in there I can use, and I'll just sell the rest. I did get a freakin' box of DUPLO for the holidays, from somebody not close to me, as a jokey gift… did kinda piss me off; if you wanna blow your money, at least get something I have some use for! A Juniors set or something! The joke would still work ("haha, you're a child for liking Lego), and I'd actually get some use out of it… idiot...

Edited by Bennemans

Egh, kinda. My brother's and I all used to play with them a lot. Now theyve "grown out of it" but haven't really forgotten about it. My wife tolerates it to the point where I get the sets I want and she helps me feel the blind bags :wink:

My kids are in dark ages. My nephew and niece still play with LEGO. I am happy with any LEGO gifts received.

I have three siblings who don't really build with LEGO, but enjoy getting the sets and building them, and my parents and two other siblings understand LEGO and I what sets I like, so it works out well for me. :classic:

Edited by Graham Gidman

Does my 18 months daughter count? Besides her, I am the only FOL in the family.

Edited by kinggregus

Yes only fan... Also living in a small country and town SUCKS because you cannot meet other fans IRL... I need to move in a bigger city...

Also coming from a small country (with no Lego store!) I understand your frustration, but rural Slovenia is SO BEAUTIFUL ! There are even a few Slovenian landmarks I hope to build in a year or two....

I used to be the only Lego fan in the household but over the past four years everyone else has "converted", with the last non-fan building his very first set just three months ago and then finding himself hooked!

Yes, I'm the only FOL in the family. And come to think of it, I think I always have been. My sister was never interested in Lego and nor were any of my cousins. I'm happy with any Lego gift, when it comes to a gift I don't intend to build, I try and look at it from different angles, in other words, "what other uses are there?". MOC, alternate models, using parts to MOD another set.

Same for me, I'm the only FOL but my dad appreciates them as he grew up with them, but he doesn't collect them. So I'm the only one

My 4 & 6 year-old kids love Lego almost as much as I do (and have more time to build- lucky them!), and my wife likes Lego, but I wouldn't call her an AFOL. Actually, she had a brief period where she was really getting into it, but then somehow her interest changed to knitting. :sceptic:

She still appreciates a good build and totally "gets" my AFOL-ness, though, so now I just buy Lego and she buys yarn and needles, and it works out OK. :laugh:

Now, in my extended family, my mother understands completely and is happy to still send me a Lego set on my birthday or whenever, but my in-laws don't really get it. They don't have a problem with the amount of Lego I have, really, but they also can't bring themselves to give it as a gift since I think they still see it as a toy instead of a hobby for whatever reason… yet they'll buy my wife knitting books and whatnot. Oh well!

Edited by deraven

Also coming from a small country (with no Lego store!) I understand your frustration, but rural Slovenia is SO BEAUTIFUL ! There are even a few Slovenian landmarks I hope to build in a year or two....

I used to be the only Lego fan in the household but over the past four years everyone else has "converted", with the last non-fan building his very first set just three months ago and then finding himself hooked!

Beautifull? Sure! Boring and corrupted, that too... Too bad beauty itself doesnt pay the bills, and finding a job here is a real B****. Sorry for offtopic.

My wife has joined in being a fan and she is building stuff herself.

My oldest son is in the dark ages - my younger son is still actively playing and building.

Around us: no-one in the rest of the family...

I'm the only Lego fan in my family. My cousin used to like them a little when he was younger, but he's embarrassed by them now. We went to the grand opening of the Indianapolis store a few years ago, and he was too embarrassed to take my picture in front of the giant Buzz Lightyear. :hmpf_bad:

Hopefully, someday I will have kids who are huge Lego fans. :classic:

How can you be embarrassed? They are awesome for creativity. They did a study that kids who grew up playing with such toys ended up being smarter and more able to learn new subjects at faster levels.

My sister and brother-in-law love Legos too, and they're trying to get their 3-year-old to start, but considering they end up building all the sets they bought for him, I don't think it's going to work.

I would end up doing the same thing if I had kids LOL

There is me, my castles and my grey bricks.

My son (13) who likes beautiful (and expensive, lol) sets to display in his room.

My daughter of 7 who likes all sort of LEGO and is complaining because I don't want her to built MY medieval market :laugh:

And my daughter of 15 who likes building little cute things and put everything nicely (for example, she spent an hour to put all the minifig for our winter village, or she loves doing funny scenes with the minifig of the haunted house and vampire mansion).

And there is my husband who just looks at us like we were little crazy people :blush::laugh:

Edited by Lady_Scarlett

There is me, my castles and my grey bricks.

My son (13) who likes beautiful (and expensive, lol) sets to display in his room.

My daughter of 7 who likes all sort of LEGO and is complaining because I don't want her to built MY medieval market :laugh:

And my daughter of 15 who likes building little cute things and put everything nicely (for example, she spent an hour to put all the minifig for our winter village, or she loves doing funny scenes with the minifig of the haunted house and vampire mansion).

And there is my husband who just looks at us like we were little crazy people :blush::laugh:

Well that sounds great to have the whole family involved in building. I think lego building is a great stress reliever. You should tell your husband to give it a try! haha

My fiancé bought me the valentine bear, which was my first adult Lego. He likes the architecture ones but builds them to display, he doesn't really make his own things.

Both me and my siblings enjoy Legos, but I'm the only one who really "collects." My little sister and her boyfriend both love Star Wars so I get them those a lot as gifts, and my little brother finds them kinda fun, but he actually sculpts and stuff so he does lots of his own creative stuff on the side.

@Bitbang : this is really great but... so expensive, lol.

They all want "just a little box"... and I'm really weak when it's about LEGO.

And sometimes, you just sacrifice yourself : I gave my son The Helm's Deep as christmas gift, and I'm just so jealous :laugh: (and my daughter will have Benny's spaceship for her birthday *jealous again*)