Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#123: A Present for Doc Daneeka

Recommended Posts

heroicaquest123.jpg

Three fresh heroes, right off the presses, wander through the streets of Eubric trying to find their way to the docks. The city is a sprawling mess, and often times they end up in a back alley with no way out and have to retrace their steps. Their attempts to ask for directions go a little awry as well.

heroicaquest15-aquilo.jpg

"Just head to the water, you can't miss it!"

heroicanpc-umbrashadeaux.jpg

"Diz is ridic-u-lous. You muzt know where it iz. 'Oo does not know where de docks are?"

gurnamthumb.jpg

"What, ya not going to buy anything?!"

ratabor16thumb.jpg

"Oh, I wish I'd be invited to go places sometimes. Tell them Ratabor says hi... not that they know me. Oh, I wish I was invited places."

Following a meandering trail they do eventually end up at the bay, and make their way along the wharfs until they see a small dingy at the edge of a run-down dock. The man on the boat is singing loudly, and on dock next to him stands a sailor and the U'Kin from the hall. The heroes approach. They are:

tn_gallery_146756_1544_57873.pngKarl (surname unknown) (Bionicle_fanatic)

18 year old male human Rogue

Level 1

Power Bonus: 0

Health: 7

Gold: 10

Equipment: Shuriken (WP:3)

Inventory: Potion, Venom, Bedroll

15856534637_fe5336c6b9_t.jpgBoris Bruhalv (Waterbrick Down)

38 year old male vampire Cleric

Level 1

Power Bonus: 0

Health: 9/9

Ether: 5/5

Gold: 10

Equipment: Simple Mace (WP: 3, mace)

Inventory: Potion, Remedy

15525882464_c28b5cf268_q.jpgKeliim the cruel (Mencot)

Age 35, male human Barbarian

Level 1

Power: 1

Health: 8/8

Gold: 10

Equipment: Rusty one handed battleaxe (WP: 3)

Inventory: Potion, Mead

IMG_2208_zps6bcc4b22.jpg

15317995805_ddb34be677_t.jpg

"If all the bullocks, be forgot,

and marry many wives,

if all the banquets be you got,

then that's the time to dine."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"My good friend, I am not entirely sure that you have the words correct!"

15317995805_ddb34be677_t.jpg

"Bull." The man in the dingy spits into the ocean. The heroes, lingering back a little ways, notice the stench of booze and the slurring of words. Apparently all three of these fellows had just come from the bars.

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Are you certain you'll be make it home, Lane, you're certain?"

15317995805_ddb34be677_t.jpg

"Course I will!" Lane holds up the frying pan he has in hand. "Got my paddle, got my presents and rations-" he jerks his thumb, indicating a chest in the back. "And got a companion too. Damn rascal will keep me safe." Lane leans in close to the others in an attempt to whisper, but he fails. "Don't tell no one, but I think this dog is magic. Did I tell you how I found him? A bunch a' frogs came up to my front door and left him there. Weird stuff, out there." Lane looks down at the water. "Hel, I think the tide is going out. This is how I get home every year boys. The rides more pleasant than the visit, I'll tell you that. 'Sides, look like your heroes are here." He points to the heroes, and raises his voice. "Don't sink any good for nothing ships this time, you bastards!" And with that he dips the frying pan into the ocean and begins to paddle away.

IMG_2207_zpsee4139ad.jpg

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Ah, hello heroes, my name is U'Ordiussum and hello to you her-"

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"You can call him U'Or. Much easier." The other man offers his hand. "My name is Captain Elba. Sorry for having you meet us here. We were just seeing off our friend, Captain Lane. I was a Bonaparte once. And when you're on the sea..." Elba's eyes mist over a little: "Friendship runs deep. It has to. I love working for Guffington, but... well, U'Or and Daneeka are wonderful friends, but they aren't really the sea-faring type."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"I get queasy on the sea I get queasy."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"So, first things are first. Before we head out, I'd like to know who I'm adventuring around with today. What are your names, boys?"

OoC: Mencot, if you could post a smaller icon (we usually go with 100x100) that'd be great. Fantatic, I see you have 10 gold and a bedroll. Not sure how that's possible, as I believe you'd have to buy a bedroll, but perhaps someone gifted it to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keliim steps up to the two figures waiting at the dock, altough it isn´t the barbarian way he shakes the hand of captain Elba.

15525882464_c28b5cf268_s.jpg

Hail to you fellow masters, the name is Keliim. How can we be to to thee service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris had done his best to direct his companions, after all he had lived in the city for nearly all his life, but they were full of excitement and enthusiasm to they spent the better half of the day being directed towards the docks. At long last they had come upon their employers.

15856534637_fe5336c6b9_t.jpg

"Good day gentlemen. Boris Bruhalv at your service. We intending on putting out to sea?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preoccupied by his own turbulent thoughts, Karl fell into step behind his two teammates. He didn't listen to their talk, or even notice where they were going, which was unfortunate as his extensive knowledge of the Eubric Freeport would have saved them a lot of time. When he finally snapped out of his zombie-like state, he found himself standing on a pier with his friends and two other character, a tricorne-clad sailor and the U'Kin who had met them at the Hall.

He suddenly realised that everyone was looking at him, as though waiting for hi to say something. He stared back for a split second, totally at a loss, then decided that starting at an introduction might be the most logical solution.

"Umm. Hi. I'm Karl." Pause. "Umm. I kind of..." He shrugged. Might as well go with what he was feeling, even if later he realized he had acted ridiculously. "I'm an adventurer

extraordinaire

. Doing good deeds for nothing, helping the poor, defending the weak, etcetera. I'm skilled at B and E, reconnaissance, and sabotage. Oh, and assassination I guess, but I've never had a proper shot at that yet."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15856534637_fe5336c6b9_t.jpg

"Really, B and E? I spent a good 6 months on an excellent tome concerning that. We'll have to compare notes at some point." Boris smiled at Karl, his two pronounced canines showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keliim steps up to the two figures waiting at the dock, altough it isn´t the barbarian way he shakes the hand of captain Elba.

15525882464_c28b5cf268_s.jpg

Hail to you fellow masters, the name is Keliim. How can we be to to thee service?

Elba shakes Keliim's hand firmly, a quick and efficient motion.

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"Glad you asked-" he says before finding himself distracted by Boris.

"Good day gentlemen. Boris Bruhalv at your service. We intending on putting out to sea?"

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"If only we were so lucky, though I think we'll leave the sailing to Lane. We have some errands to run in the city, and we really could use the extra hands. U'Or, would you like to explain our mission, or shall I carry that burden?"

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Oh dear, if I were to talk I'm sure the heroes would get a headache if I talked." The U'Kin blushes. "I do not always have my accent - this is how U'Kin speak in Dastan U'Kin speak this way - but when I drink it returns sometimes." U'Or screws up his eyes, trying to focus.

"Umm. Hi. I'm Karl." Pause. "Umm. I kind of..." He shrugged. Might as well go with what he was feeling, even if later he realized he had acted ridiculously. "I'm an adventurer extraordinaire. Doing good deeds for nothing, helping the poor, defending the weak, etcetera. I'm skilled at B and E, reconnaissance, and sabotage. Oh, and assassination I guess, but I've never had a proper shot at that yet."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"Doing good deeds for free, huh? So I guess you won't mind if I hold onto your payment."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Go ahead and explain what we're doing today, Elba, please."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"Alright, alright." Elba holds up his hands in defeat. "Never hurts to have a little chit chat. But, regardless heroes, we must be getting down to business. Now, since you all seem the savvy type, I am sure you are well aware of the Great Gerald Guffington of Guffington Manor fame. But, if you don't know, Guffington is a very rich and very kind man who employs both U'Or and I."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"He's a good man," echoes U'Or.

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"He has one other full time employee: one Doctor Daneeka, a very old Sayyip - you don't see many of them around anymore these days, so don't fear if it's not a name you recognize. They are a species of a forgotten time, back when Acerpusculum and Nepheliem and their ilk roamed Olegaia. But that's neither here nor there. It appears that Daneeka has spent a considerable amount of his time of Olegaia perfecting the art of gift giving. Year after year he buys both U'Or and I the most lovely lovely gifts, and we give him paltry returns."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"If we are being frank, it is starting to get embarrassing if we're being frank."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"So, this year, at Guffington's Winter Feast, we plan to present Doctor Daneeka with the best gifts we can possibly think to rustle up. It will be a full day expedition, and we will not rest until we are sure that we can crack a grin on that ol' bastards face."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"The gift I thought up is an old book is the gift I thought up. Doc Daneeka is an avid reader, and I have done research and tracked down an old surviving book that tells a of a history of his race. Some of the great deeds his race did. Unfortunately..."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"The Hinckwells are also an old family, as I'm sure you know. They have a great many tomes gathering dust in the basement of their mansion. We wish they'd give us one out of the goodness of their heart... but that's not the case. We have a contact within the family who is willing to give us the book, but he demands payment. Quid pro quo. So, that is our first stop... before we go and pick up my far superior gift."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"We'll see who has the better gift at the end of the day we'll see who has the better gift." The U'Kin blushes again. "Can you walk and talk heroes? I will lead the way to the Hinckwells now, and you may ask questions as we walk and talk if you are able to do that."

The Captain and U'Kin set off down the busy streets, and the heroes have to hustle to keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris trots along, he was familiar with Guffington, though he had never met the man himself, the Sayyip were unfamiliar to him.

15856534637_fe5336c6b9_t.jpg

"So your contact wasn't willing to just drop the book off with you?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"He needs a favor from us before he is willing to help us. That is the way things work in Eubric you'll find out quickly that's the way things work in Eubric."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"He's not the most generous of the Hinckwell brood, though none of them are particularly loose with their money or valuables."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Are you from Eubric? I always assume that all heroes are from far away, I assume. I know that the city has some resident vampires. Why, one of my closest friends is Madame Butterfly of the Guild of Invision... or, at the very least, I consider her a close friend, I hope she considers me a good friend I hope. One of her close acquaintances is Dr. Cula is one of her close acquaintances."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"You're hardly answering the question, U'Or." Elba chuckles. "Thoughts of Madame Butterfly have you flustered?"

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"No, no, no... no... you know our relationship is strictly professional is the way our relationship is no no no." Inhaling deeply, U'Or turns back to Boris. "I do not know what Grady will require us to do. He is having us meet him at the estate, so surely it will not be too adventurous or dangerous."

A light snow begins to fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first to make that mistake. No, I grew up in this city most of my life, just never had the need to turn to heroing."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keliim listens to the men speaking and watches how the weather changes and the snow starting to fall.

Thinking to himself what U'Or said: "He is having us meet him at the estate, so surely it will not be too adventurous or dangerous."

We´ll see, my gut says diffrent.

Edited by Mencot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Oh dear, if I were to talk I'm sure the heroes would get a headache if I talked." The U'Kin blushes. "I do not always have my accent - this is how U'Kin speak in Dastan U'Kin speak this way - but when I drink it returns sometimes." U'Or screws up his eyes, trying to focus.

So the U'Kin was drunk. Hard to tell with these non-humans.

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"Doing good deeds for free, huh? So I guess you won't mind if I hold onto your payment."

Karl Crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at the man. Now I know I was acting ridiculously. "Look mister, I may occasionally skip any rewards, but I need the gold. No cheatin', or I'll hunt you down." Realising his last remark was actually quite threatening, he attempted to cover with a vague "If you don't mind..."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"We'll see who has the better gift at the end of the day we'll see who has the better gift." The U'Kin blushes again. "Can you walk and talk heroes? I will lead the way to the Hinckwells now, and you may ask questions as we walk and talk if you are able to do that."

The Captain and U'Kin set off down the busy streets, and the heroes have to hustle to keep up.

Karl felt sure he could both walk and talk at the same time, but he wasn't sure if the U'Kin was up to the task. Nevertheless, he bobbed and weaved after the foursome, keeping a hand on his gold pouch: You never knew when a pickpocket would strike. He wondered about what the Hinckwell would ask of them. He guessed that it would involve something only heroes were good at, or else Elber and U'Or wouldn't have needed to hie them. Which also implied that the two had at least an inkling of what the contact would demand...

Edited by bionicle_fanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keliim was getting exhausted of all the walking and he shouted out to their hosts:

15525882464_c28b5cf268_s.jpg

Is it still far?

The big man wasn´t as fit as before, he turned to Boris and asked:

Thou are a local, thou know any good places where to train and do some sparring?

I haven´t fought or trained in about to years, it would be a good time to start again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris shouldered his mace as they walked, "Well, I did notice a sign for some sort of Arena back at the hall. There's at least one fencing school that I'm aware of in Eubric, but I'm not sure if that's what your looking for."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris shouldered his mace as they walked, "Well, I did notice a sign for some sort of Arena back at the hall. There's at least one fencing school that I'm aware of in Eubric, but I'm not sure if that's what your looking for."

Arena thou say, have to check it out when we get back from this quest.

Keliim looks at the vampires mace. How good are thou with that mace, I was born to fight but I am a bit rusty. Thou up for some sparring some time?

Keliim lowers his voice, and asks Boris and Karl: What do you think they will have us do on this quest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big man responces back with a smirk: That is what I fear.

Ooc: ofcourse it is good when we are lvl 1

Edited by Mencot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karl caught up with the other two. "Don't quote me on it, but I'm guessing what they want us to do is either illegal or dangerous. Don't think they'll go easy on us just because we're new to this whole thing, remember that U'Or originally wanted that larger, far more experienced team."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first to make that mistake. No, I grew up in this city most of my life, just never had the need to turn to heroing."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Both Elba and I have lived in the city all our lives too, and have yet to become heroes." U'Or smiles. "It is a good profession if you ask me it's a good profession, but I would be a disaster."

Karl Crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at the man. Now I know I was acting ridiculously. "Look mister, I may occasionally skip any rewards, but I need the gold. No cheatin', or I'll hunt you down." Realising his last remark was actually quite threatening, he attempted to cover with a vague "If you don't mind..."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"You'll have your reward. No need for fearsome words." Elba smirks. "It is a good day when heroes are still willing to hunt down cheats. On a boat cheats are not tolerated. They have few places to run on the open sea. That is why I find most sea-faring men to be honest men."

Keliim was getting exhausted of all the walking and he shouted out to their hosts:

15525882464_c28b5cf268_s.jpg

Is it still far?

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Hinckwell Villa is at the top of Sungold Hill." U'Or inhales deeply. "A little bit of a hike, yes. But not impossible for adventurers like us it is not impossible."

But soon enough the heroes and their two employers arrive at the outskirts of the Hinckwell Villa. They speak to a guard or two, who lets them through. The heroes keep hearing the name Grady passed around.

Once inside the walls of the Villa their employers do not lead them into the main building, but rather circled around it until they came to an armored man. He nodded curtly to them, and gave a venomous look to the heroes, but instead of addressing them immediately pointed to a window that he had just moments before been staring through. The heroes and their employers gather around.

IMG_2216_zps73237b84.jpg

Inside sits a man, staring at the fire. In his hand is a big glass of wine, and around him are a few empty bottles. His eyes look a little red. Music floats through the air, playing off a strange device few of the heroes recognize. The man is silent save for humming along brokenly every few bars.

IMG_2217_zps4c41735a.jpg

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"He gets like this every year," says the man. He barely glances at the heroes as he introduces himself. "Sir Grady the Bold, by the way. Don't even think about crossing me. I already don't like heroes, don't give me a reason to stick my sword in your ribs."

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Grady!"

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"They should know where their Hall and I stand." Grady sighs. "Ah, Hels, you're right. I need their help, at least for the day. That man in there is named Henribald Hinckwell, you probably know him by Henry, or more likely not at all. He handles over seas business for his family. Henribald hasn't had the kindest life. The younger brother, never the heir, he's served his family valiantly for many years. He lost his wife when their only son was very young, and his son a short time after that to your organization's 'quests'. And it all comes crashing out around Grogmas and the Winter Feasts." Grady cracks his knuckles. "I don't owe many people much, but Henry has always treated me well and looked after me. He won't tell me why the time of year depresses him, but Heinrich tells me he's been this way since he was young. I intend this year to find out why, and set things right."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"Feel free to let us know what you need," says Elba a little more curtly than the heroes have seen him the past.

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"Extra hands more than anything. Below this house is a labyrinth of old shipping records, old family history, debts, tales, notes, wish lists, lists of enemies, many things. I don't doubt for a moment that the reason for Henry's sadness this time of year is buried somewhere down there, but I could never read through it all on my own..." the knight kicks a stone angrily. "I need some extra hands and eyes."

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"That could take a while."

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"You're not getting your present for the Doctor until I find what I'm looking for."

Elba shrugs.

ae8fc36d-bcf9-498e-a20d-74bddaafac1a_zps7efa5b7a.jpg

"It's your present, U'Or. You still want this?"

df3cb463-d00a-42e2-be79-50382133a9da_zpsd7c1984c.jpg

"Are you ready to do some reading heroes are you ready to do some reading?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot. Karl thought. Of all the things it could have been, it had to be reading. He nodded his head though: this what what he'd signed up for, so he'd better start proving himself a Hero. "Give us access to the vaults, and we'll be sure to get to the root of the trouble."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keliim thought to himself "reading" did he say reading! Thats why we are here! Oh well, the payment is good and good thing is I know how to read, it is not every barbarian that comes along that knows how. Keliim also nodded that he is ready.

Edited by Mencot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The heroes are led into a backdoor of the Hinckwell Villa. They glance around a little, but Grady keeps a careful eye on them and they can tell by the grinding of his teeth that, if he had other options, they probably wouldn't be there.

They are led down a dusty staircase to a room full of barrels and pickled foods in jars. Grady glares at them.

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"Don't touch anything."

He throws open a trap door in the floor and they descend to another basement. This one is dustier, and sprawls out in every direction. There is aisle after aisle of bookcase.

51d4febb-cbcc-4ebf-84d4-88fa77976c02_zps66ae5a5c.jpg

"Well, let's get looking."

The heroes are faced with four major sections to start in, all labelled with old parchments tacked to the bookcases:

-Family History & Journals

-Shipping & Trade Records

-History of Uland and Surrounding Islands

-Debts & Slights

OoC: Welcome to your first puzzle of Heroica, heroes! Here's how it works. The library is built in a sort of "branching tree". There is a specific book somewhere in the library that will tell the cause of Henry's misery. If you can find it without making THREE MISTAKES, you will be given a level of experience! You may search together or separately - if you search together, obviously you will be able to follow fewer branches and your mistakes will be collective... but if you find the answer, you will all gain experience! If you search separately, your mistakes will be counted separately, but only the person who finds the book will gain experience. You may handle it anyway you like, and don't have to declare a specific search method (if you all want to take your first try separately and then team up, or vice versa, that's fine).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well chaps, I suggest we fan out. If you can't read, you can stick with me." The vampire whipped out a pair of spectacles and headed for the section marked Debts & Slights. "Only one of these subjects is the right one, so if someone finds it holler out so we don't go wasting time in other categories."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.