TeClem8

[TC6] MAN Transport truck with crane on the back + Instructions

Hello there,

i am in the process of building this truck. But i ran into an issue. The front wheels hit the ladder when turning.

Anybody else who ran into this.

800x600.jpg

well, my intention for today was to write up a review for the now finished crane, a review full of high praising, but hmm, don't count your chickens before they're hatched is a wise sentence…. ;-)

well, after giving the truck my son to play with it, we encountered a serious problem – the crane can not slew 360 degree without colliding with the rear-most middle panel of the bed – the yellow bent liftarm 9x5 collides with its lower end with this panel, so slewing is blocked – has anybody already finished this MOC and has anybody encountered the same problem? so how did TeClement operating over the bed in his video?? And I HAVE built the hole stuff (crane, crane-base, chassis) as shown in the BI – 3x checked… either the truck in the video is build slightly different (compared to the BI) regarding the mounting position of the crane or.. I’m clueless… can you give me an advice?

currently the only solution which came into my mind is: replacing the rear-most middle bed-panel with a combination of 1 beam 5L and 5 beams 9L so this "fake" becomes 1L shorter so the crane has enough space to slew 360 degrees... other ideas out there?

BTW: i have massively commented the standard BIs - there are some more errors as already listed above, some of them quite misleading - i have send the commented pdf to TeClement so he can include all the stuff in its errate-release...

BTW-2: i will write the review later when i have fixed the slewing problem - and it will still be full of praising... summary in advance: belongs easily to the best MOCs i have ever build - and i have already build a lot of high-end MOCs shown here in EB... ;-)

Hello there,i am in the process of building this truck. But i ran into an issue. The front wheels hit the ladder when turning.Anybody else who ran into this.800x600.jpg

this is one of the errors in te BI - turn the rims around - then the track gauge is narrower and correct! colliding with the ladder is not the only problem resulting from this error: if mounted wrong then the track gauge is way to wide and the front-axle bents and could be damaged!

anyway, turn around and Bob will be your uncle ;-)

Edited by Kumbbl

well, as promised here comes my review of this MOC:

First two pics of the finished truck - sorry for poor quaility, they were shot yesterday evening with iPhone...

1280x849.jpg

1280x960.jpg

The Model:

This MOC is really really great stuff – here are my scores:

• Looks: 10/10 - it simply looks perfect, it resembles perfectly a MAN Truck, proportions, flow, colors, all is very coherent - addionally many details as ladders and some more... perfect cabin (but i have the strong suspicion that the cabin design has been strongly "inspired" by the cabin of Maddocas Wing Body Truck - its almost the same in its basic design) and front-bumper...perfectly intergrated IR-receivers and also battery box
  • Building Experience: 10/10 - building this MOC feels for 99% as if you would build a official TLG flagship model - very clever designs, well thought part usage
  • Playability: 11/10 - regarding this the model really stands out: the crane can really lift something (in contrary to - e.g. the 8258 crane which can barely lift more than a feather ;-), but the unique selling point of this model is the manual mode for driving steering - so kids can do "vrooming" - for kids IMHO it is much better if such models can drive and steer manually - TeClement has achieved that both worlds come together in one model: RC for adults, manual for kids - and the manual mode is simply switched on by the mode-selector by the remote (but if you use a clutch gear instead of a standard 24th for the mode-selecting M-motor - as recommended by me some postings above - then you can also switch mode by hand --> very cool!)
  • Features: 11/10 TeClement has simply packed all in what you can image - (RC drive/steer, manual HOG-steer, drive, RC outriggers front and rear, RC crane slewing, RC 1st arm, RC second arm, manual extracting 2nd arm, RC mode-switching between RC-drive-mode, RC-crane-mode, manual-drive-mode, tiltable cabin, openable doors, fake V6 engine, front suspension, rear suspension by double life axle, double wheel at the rear, openable bed-doors)
  • Performance: 10/10 - all features work absolutely reliable and save and very smooth, this is especially important for the crane - rear suspension is one of the best (and most elegantly designed) i have ever seen in such a big truck
  • Design and construction: 9,5/10 - very good modularity and - even more important - the marriages between the modules are always very easy - which is often not the case with such complex MOCs - very well thought through design - as already said: This is TLG desgin quality - very clever motorization - uses the same principle as 8043 excavator by using just 4 motors for 7 motorized functions (6 motorized features plus 1 RC mode selection)...why not 10/10? well, two things are not optimally braced and reinforced IMHO: the mode-selection motor-housing and both drive-trains for the rear outriggers - but for the former one someone has posted a MOD above and for the latter one i develeoped a simple but effective MODs which fixes the weakpoint --> with these MODs applied i would give also here a 10/10...
    Design Highlights:
    - Double life rear axle: so elegant, minimalistic but ver effective and robust - but i have again the strong suspicion that this double rear axle design has been borrowed almost completely from Madoccas Wing Body Truck - its more or less identical
    - mode-switching gearbox: complex but clean at all
    - hinge for the cabin tilt
    - last but not least the most outstanding: the flexible but still powerful connection between drive-motor-gearbox-output and the rear axles: very very clever part usage never seen before...
  • Part usage: 10/10: All parts are very common and easily and quite cheap to buy via Bricklink if you miss some of them - this is IMHO a very big advantage of this MOC. BTW: a very good starting point for this MOCs is: 8258+8070+9397+42009 - more as half of the parts come already from the 8258 - and you can really dismantle the 8258 because this MAN trucks performs "him" completely out and make it quite obsolete... and i loved the 8258...

The only small critism I could make is: the truck is really heavy at the front so IMHO on the front-axle there is a little bit too much weight … the 4 hard springs on the front axle are a little bit too weak, so the truck doesn’t come up after suspension has been compressed under normal niveau (which is already compressed) – I would say the truck almost could need 6 of them… do not misunderstand: the front suspension works well if only one tire must be suspended but if you press fully down the cabin the 4 springs are too weak to bring up the truck at normal niveau again - but it is a minor weakpoint, it does not prevent 1% from using or playong with this model...

So far to the model itself. Summary: Belongs easily to the best MOCs i have ever build - and i have build already a lot of complex MOCs discussed here at EB. Strongly recommened for all technic enthusiasts!

The instructions:

Now some remarks to the instrcutions, selled by TeClement: In general they are very well done, great stepping, very well modularity, easy to follow but not too easy, so exactly right for an AFOL. But nevertheless i have to complain a little bit. Why? Because it seems that really nobody has tested this BI by building the model exactly as described and displayed by this BI. And this is not good, at least not for BIs selled for 15€ - for this price they contain too much errors. Most of the errors where no big deals but some of them are also misleading and prevent the model from working...as for example the collision between the crane and the bed or the missed fix for the door frame...fixable for an experianced builder (and i have all of them fixed and also commented in the BI), no question, but also slightly annoying.

But: please feel not offended and also do not think i'm ungrateful. In contrary! I'm an AFOL who could never design something complex like such a truck from scratch for myself - i'm good in modding (also deep mods) of existing models but that's it. So i'm very very grateful against all those BI-masters who make stepped BIs, regardless if for free or selled for money - well done job earns also money, no questions! I know also, that making such BIs needs huge efforts and makes probably less fun than designing and building a new model ;-). So: I'm thankful for such TLG-like BIs!

But nevertheless i would advice that such a BI must be beta-tested by following exatcly the steps of the BI before you can sell them.

On the other side i must admit: Somehow non perfect BI gives the builder an interesting challenge - and this was the case for the MAN BI - there are no showstoppers contained, all errors are fix- and correctable. And to be honest: There are no errors which causes completely dismanteling the almost finished model onyl to be able to correct an error at step 7 ;-) so if you like some challlenges during the build (as i do for myself) then i can recommend also the currently available BI.

If you want to be errorsave during building you should wait until the errata are released.

Nevertheless: Selled BI should be pretested and as errorfree as possible.

All of my comments and suggestions in the BI have been sent to TeClement...

Final words:

Building this model gives me some hours (spaned over 4 days) of really great building fun and the final results is a awesome and - in some criterias - also outstanding MOC - which ennobles my shelf

Edited by Kumbbl

This tells me to wait buying them till all the errors are fixed, will not pay for instructions that much if they aren't a 100% correct.

Hope the person who made them will fix them, then I'll gladly pay €15,- for them.

This tells me to wait buying them till all the errors are fixed, will not pay for instructions that much if they aren't a 100% correct.

Hope the person who made them will fix them, then I'll gladly pay €15,- for them.

this comment triggered me to add a further paragraph to the instructions-chapter in my review above...

[...]

Now some remarks to the instrcutions, selled by TeClement: In general they are very well done, great stepping, very well modularity, easy to follow but not too easy, so exactly right for an AFOL. But nevertheless i have to complain a little bit. Why? Because it seems that really nobody has tested this BI by building the model exactly as described and displayed by this BI. And this is not good, at least not for BIs selled for 15€ - for this price they contain too much errors. Most of the errors where no big deals but some of them are also misleading and prevent the model from working...as for example the collision between the crane and the bed or the missed fix for the door frame...fixable for an experianced builder (and i have all of them fixed and also commented in the BI), no question, but also slightly annoying.

[...]

Well, the building instructions were tested about 3 times with physicial parts...

One of those times the issue with the front wheels came up, but in another one it didn't. We couldn't figure out why... Well, until someone else built the model and noticed the wrong wheels. I think, at some point you can almost dream the way the model has to go together that you start to look over any errors and just completely miss them.

Thanks for the review though :classic:

(btw, I have no idea why TeClem is pretty much absent in this topic now :look: )

Well, the building instructions were tested about 3 times with physicial parts...

One of those times the issue with the front wheels came up, but in another one it didn't. We couldn't figure out why... Well, until someone else built the model and noticed the wrong wheels. I think, at some point you can almost dream the way the model has to go together that you start to look over any errors and just completely miss them.

(btw, I have no idea why TeClem is pretty much absent in this topic now :look: )

Yes, i know, over the time you are getting somehow blind because you know the model inside out ;-)

But i'm wondering how a building instruction tester could oversee e.g.

- that the crane collides with the bed so the model doesn't work in its primary function :cry_sad:

- that the door frame isn't properly fixed on the door because in the instructions a black pin has been missed

this is not testing what i had in my mind :wink:

Anyway - no worries! as written above: i'm really thankful that you have made these overall well done instructions :thumbup: ! Otherwise i could never build this great MOC...

Take my words about instructions just as a friendly advice: use dummy beta tester as pre-builders who have never seen the model before...and let them try out all functions/features after the build...

TeClement told me that he is very busy ....

Edited by Kumbbl

Take my words about instructions just as a friendly advice: use dummy beta tester as pre-builders who have never seen the model before...and let them try out all functions/features after the build...

I was one of the beta testers but don't consider myself as a 'dummy' :wink:

The goal I was given was to check if the BI were easy to follow, not to comment on the design or the functionality.

Nevertheless I pointed out some concerns like the selection motor coming loose.

In the end TeClement decided to publish the instructions as they are right now.

:-) Sorry for the dummy but im sure you know how it was meant by me ;-)

Easy to follow is not the most important aspect for BI. It is important, of course, but being correct and resulting in a working model is IMHO even more important...

Well, but now i will end ms discussion about the BI because this has the model and TeClement not earned. The BI are good enough for experienced builders to get at the end a awesome Model wirhout weakpoints. But switching on your Brain and your creativity during the build is necessary for that goal...

Maybe next time pretester should be not only be told cheching easyness to follow but also correctness and functionality of the resulting Model. Again just a friendly advice and also just my 2 ct

Where can I find a complete partslist for truck and trailer together in one list?

Would be easier.

you can do it via rebrickable:

1. Export part-list of truck into brickstore / rebrickable-format (you can do it from the rebrickable page of the truck)

2. same for the trailer - but use a different-file name!

3. create a private MOC in rebrickable

4. append(!) both export-files to this private MOC

5. done

Now you can either export again one part-list (will cntain all parts for truck and trailer together) or use the "build this MOC" Button in rebrickable to find the parts you have/miss

this is one of the errors in te BI - turn the rims around - then the track gauge is narrower and correct! colliding with the ladder is not the only problem resulting from this error: if mounted wrong then the track gauge is way to wide and the front-axle bents and could be damaged!

anyway, turn around and Bob will be your uncle ;-)

Thanks a lot for the hint - works fine now.

Has someone come up with an answer regarding the problem of the crane colliding with the load bed???

I mean other then the one Kumbbl came up with???

Hello,

I'd like to buy the instructions... But the page seems to be no more there... According to Bricktechnic.fr...

Any other way to buy them?