Sign in to follow this  
jacob_uno

LEGOLAND Billund Discussion & Photos

Hello all,

finally, this year our family (2 adults, 2 children primary school age) will be able to make a three-day stop in Billund. For me, it's the second time after I was there around the same age my children are now... just some decades ago :classic:

We'll be there in late spring from Saturday to Monday, visiting the park on Sunday and Monday.

With the Legoland Hotel being a bit overpriced for our taste, the Pirate's Inn or another hotel near the park like the Propellen are on our short-list.

Do you have any recommendations for hotels in or near Billund? (Or any accommodation you would advise against?)

Tom

I think you've pretty much listed all the hotels there are in or near Billund, actually...

You could always try the LEGOLAND Holiday Village next to Lalandia - the cottages there are, as far as I've heard, both relatively reasonable and quite decent.

Staying in Billund is quite expensive so you could look to rent an apartment or small house somewhere around Billund. And if you are traveling by car there shouldn't be any trouble with this choice.

Me and couple members of our LUG visited Billund last year. We found a nice place for 5 people about 0.5h drive from Billund, which was much cheaper.

I stayed at the Hotel Propellen when I was there last year, which was decent but as people have said, overpriced.

Though I don't have any specific recommendations of hotels in Billund (I have only stayed at Propellen - when it was a motel more than 20 years ago), I can tell you that hotel rates, in general, are quite high here in Denmark. Not least when compared to German hotels.

If you have access to a car during your stay, you can eventually stay in Vejle, some 30 minutes away. Kolding also have a number of hotels, but are situated a little further away, something like 45 minutes.

EDIT: I can see there is Zleep Hotel in Billund, it is a budget hotel. Maybe it is worth a try?

Edited by laka

Yes, Billund is expensive. However if you can afford it I would recommend staying in the Legoland hotel for the best experience for your children.

When I took my children to Denmark when they were young we stayed in cheaper B&B's in most places. We had two days in the park and stayed in the Legoland hotel for the night inbetween. Definitely worth it.

Thanks, all, for your advice! As we go to Billund by car, I will also look for hotels near Billund. If all "fails", the Propellen or the Pirate's Nest will be our choice.

True, cost of living is indeed high in Scandinavian countries compared to Germany. But as Denmark is too far from where we live to go there every year, we will just ignore that and have a good time ;-)

It also depends on what week days you arriving. I've just ordered Sunday-Monday in a Friends room at Legoland Hotel with two days in the park. 2 adults, 2 kids and 1 infant. 2000 Danish kroner.

There's an awesome store that sells discontinued sets... I went a few years ago, and not sure if it is still up, but that had lots of goodies, including hundreds of bags of Dino Attack Dinos for super cheap...

Edited by legozebra

Hello,

the LEGOLAND in Billund is - of course - the first one worldwide.

I really enjoyed my stay, and especially the "Miniland" is great. :classic:

These are my impressions of the park in Denmark:

Have you been there, too?

Best wishes

Andres

There's an awesome store that sells discontinued sets... I went a few years ago, and not sure if it is still up, but that had lots of goodies, including hundreds of bags of Dino Attack Dino's for super cheap...

Do you remember the name of the store or where it was? Billund down town, or inside LegoLand?

Do you remember the name of the store or where it was? Billund down town, or inside LegoLand?

It was in Legoland

You'll want to make sure that you pick up the Lego House set and the Billund Airport set. The Lego House set is only available at Billund businesses (many of the stores downtown stock it, including stores that don't normally sell Lego), and the Billund Airport set is only available at the departures gate at the airport itself, when you're leaving. The exclusivity of both of these sets makes them highly desirable and likely to increase in secondhand value, and besides that they're great display pieces, on par with the Lego Architecture sets.

At Legoland itself, I can highly recommend the Haunted House attraction. It's really neat and as far as I know does not appear at any of the other parks. The Arctic area also has live penguins (and if you eat at the restaurant, it has a window to the back of the enclosure where some of the penguins have babies!) At the back of the Arctic area is an area where the life-size Lego X-Wing Starfighter is currently exhibited. The Atlantis aquarium exhibit is also not to be missed.

The shops at Legoland are pretty good, particularly the main shop. When I went there a few weeks ago they had several sets that had not yet been released elsewhere, including the summer Friends and City sets as well as the Ninjago "Airjitzu" spinners (which are great small sets to take back to your hotel room to build if you're staying overnight).

Hello everybody

Last time I went to Legoland Billund - I do so at least once a year - I took some photos of the Miniland park.

I love to walk around that part of Legoland and I always end up in a great mood.

I tried to incorporate that into a small video with all the pictures on a string - iMovie is great for creating small videos very quickly.

If you want to look at the pictures, here is the link to the video:

What is your opinion on the use of mostly regular bricks and plates? I like it - it's so genuinely Lego

Have a nice day

Delightful. :sweet: And I agree- it's so genuinely Lego!

It also looks like that park is better maintained than the ones here in the US... at least from the pictures you included in the slideshow. :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

Visited Billund in 2013. Drove there from Hamburg.

Unfortunately it was raining the whole day & we did not have proper shoes & trousers - the plastic anoraks do not help here - so my family were all soaked wet and wanted to go back to the hotel (in Hamburg) before I had a chance to see the LEGO headquarters :cry_sad:

The Danes were perfectly OK with the rain; will remember to bring proper waterproof clothes next time :classic:

PS: I did like the German Legoland a bit more - maybe due to rain? :wink: