greg3

Ballabreek 2015

Love the updates the story gives a real sense of being there , loving what you do look forward to more :grin:

Another quick update.... FIRE!! It's a while since Ballabreek's had a proper fire so here we go!!

17080783751_3004c8a5c2_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Not the best photo in the world, but as always there's a story behind the image - which is an "outtake" from my ongoing ULTRA Agents story so to find out more check out the story here http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105728#entry2188200

Thanks for looking.

Edited by greg3

More interesting story telling from yourself eh 'greg3'......I like the water effect on the fire.

Brick On 'greg3' ! :grin:

This weekend sees Ballabreek holding its first ever "Supercar Street Sprint" event. Loosely based on some of the motor sports events held where I live, it involves a short individual timed sprint along closed public roads.

In this case, the main road through the village has been converted into a race track

17264428895_ef3b9b2917_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Cars start near the mine (luckily the work to redesign the mine entrance was completed in time!) and race just under a mile to beyond the other side of the village.

Here you can see a Ferrari ready for its run while the other competitors await their turn. Emergency and recovery vehicles stand ready just in case!!

17078033199_69fc94b68d_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

View down the course...

17056873027_09603d32d6_z.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Most of the village has turned out to watch. The event has also attracted many visitors.

17263743971_4760f9d313_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

The more daring drivers use the level crossing to get some "air" (I don't know much about supercars but I'm guessing you wouldn't do this with the real thing!!)

16644051293_46311abc32_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

After all the cars have completed their runs, they parade back along the course, to the delight of the spectators.

17238253926_d6ae2ed615_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

I've been looking for opportunity to use the Speed Champion sets in my layout, and earlier this week I was out watching a real life Classic Car event along similar lines to this involving cars from 1911 to the modern day (no supercars though!!) and thought this would be a good way to do it!!

Anyway thanks for looking - Comments are always welcome!!

This update features a small exhibition showcasing the work of a small team of local scientists/engineers. They've spent the last few years developing what could become the future of personal short range transport and here it is...

The Gyrosphere!!

image.jpg9.jpg

Powered by the latest in energy efficient electric motors, the Grosphere is intended to demonstrate a new and environmentally friendly way of travelling. At the moment it can only manage a top speed of around 5mph and carry 1 person but plans for larger more powerful models are well underway.

The aim of this exhibition is to raise awareness of the project and hopefully encourage people to invest in it. The display includes an actual Gyrosphere...

image.jpg7.jpg

Information screens about the development, construction and possible uses...

image.jpg4.jpg

A mini-Gyrosphere to show how the vehicle moves and is controlled by a touchcreen smartphone app.

image.jpg3.jpg

The exhibition seems to have worked!! One of the engineers has been approached by a wealthy investor looking for transport options for an "animal based theme park" - he seems to think that the Gyrosphere would be ideal and is prepared to place a large order for a 2 seater version!!

image.jpg6.jpg

As you can tell, this update comes after I found the new wave of JW sets in my local toy shop!!

More updates coming soon!!

Thanks for looking!!

Excellent improvements again 'greg3', cute little model for the kids to operate eh ? :wink:

Brick On 'greg3' !

This week sees the start of work to regenerate parts the village (following my purchase of a number of new sets!!).

First the old burnt out storage shed near the mine needed demolishing... for this the Demolition Company brought in "The Smasher"!!

17859575334_1fff6a84a9_c.jpgimage[/url] by g.nat"]https://www.flickr.c...4167@N05/]g.nat[/url], on Flickr

18482341115_7d8e7cee1c_c.jpgimage[/url] by g.nat"]https://www.flickr.c...4167@N05/]g.nat[/url], on Flickr

18478455812_1f5f82934a_c.jpgimage[/url] by g.nat"]https://www.flickr.c...4167@N05/]g.nat[/url], on Flickr

18295161730_91a140bc0c_c.jpgimage[/url] by g.nat"]https://www.flickr.c...4167@N05/]g.nat[/url], on Flickr

As you can probably tell, this is actually a MOD'd Ultra Agent villain vehicle and was going to be used in the latest chapter of my Ultra Agents Comic. (the "Smasher" was to play a major role in the latest instalment but changes to the story saw it cut!! It may feature in another episode though!!) You can view the comic here http://www.eurobrick...28#entry2234923

Thanks for looking... look out for more changes to the village coming soon!!!

Always interesting to see Ballabreek developing. I wonder what is going to happen now. And funny idea with the Gyrosphere, Greg3. I like to see all the activities going on on the pier :thumbup:

I love your modded construction vehicle; it's a big mean demolition machine!

I'm looking forward to seeing future updates to Ballabreek. Do you know what will replace the burned-down shed?

Thanks for the comments.... I've got some ideas for a replacement for the burnt down shed - but for now the attention is on the redevelopment of the tram stop to cater for the new longer trams being introduced.

19874734069_a41b43b839_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can see, the platform has been lengthened and a new shelter including automated ticket machines has been constructed.

19873361988_03c8a92851_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Here's the tram...

19874795699_d299a8c05d_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

You might have noticed that I've removed the pantograph of the roof. It's always bugged me that I've never been able to come up with a decent overhead "electrical wire" system for the official trams so I did a bit of Googling and came across the Stud Contact System which was used in the early 1900s to supply power to trams from ground level.

The system consisted of power supply studs set into the ground between the tracks. As a tram passed over a stud, a magnet in the tram activated a switch in the stud making it live. A skid-like collector below the tram then transferred the power to the motors. Once the tram had passed, gravity caused the switch to open and cut the power to the stud. Unfortunately, the technology of the time proved unreliable and studs would fail to activate (resulting in the passengers having to get off and push the tram to the next stud!) or worse, they would remain live once a tram had passed (at least 1 cart horse is known to have been electrocuted by a live stud!!)

I figure that modern technology could make the system work and so the line through Ballabreek is trying it out. (In fact the technology is being used in parts of France. In this case a third rail is used, sections of which become live in response to a radio signal as a tram passes. I decided to stick with the studs though.. far more appropriate to LEGO!!)

An aerial view shows the studs (placed so that at least one is always under the tram)

You can also see that rather than the original single access point to the platform there are now 3. The centre one leads to the park/shops, the right hand one to the beach and the left hand one to the countryside (via a crossing point over the track)

19438743254_183288d012_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

This is just the first of the new additions I'll be making to the village over the next few weeks as

a) I'm off work and

b) I have a stack of new sets to put together and add!!

Thanks for looking and as always comments are more than welcome...

Edited by greg3

Thanks for sharing the development in your town!

If my eyes are not deceiving me the boy at the tram station is faceless. Is there a reason for that?

This quick update shows the latest improvements to be made to the area around the tram stop... controversial improvements!!

The village post office had been one of the oldest buildings in Ballabreek (in fact every lego town I've built since the mid 80's has featured a version of set 6689!!) but following Postal Service restructuring (and cost cutting) it was decided to close it down. Despite protests by the local minifigs, the plan went ahead.

The building was demolished and the land sold to a well known "Coffee Chain".

Now the locals can grab a cup of overpriced coffee, and read the paper while they wait for the tram!!

20219972429_810c82b8c8_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Catching up on the latest gossip... apparently there are rumours that a major toy manufacturer is planning to open a retail store in Ballabreek!!

20398067852_0a2de7eb89_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

I have to admit that I was in 2 minds about this change (as I really do have a soft spot for the little post office) but I wanted to use the new sets and with several local post offices being closed where I live (despite various protests), it seemed like the sort of thing that could realistically happen in a small village like Ballabreek.

Anyway, thanks for looking and comments are welcome as always!!

Edited by greg3

So bad for the citizens that the old post office did not survive. Here in Denmark, we have already experienced a lot of post offices closing, but now the trend has actually reversed. More and more "post shops" are opening now (in supermarkets and kiosks) because of increasing internet commerce, not because people are dropping electronic ways of communication and starting writing good old-fashioned letters again :wink: - I just wonder if "Coffee Chain" could not have used the historic building for their latest expansion?

I think the rumours about the possibility of a new retail store are interesting. Cannot wait to see if the rumours are true...

I like the way you have progressive change in your town, I just make usually wholesale changes but 'greg3' just make small yet effective ones.

Keep them coming and Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks for the comments....

Thanks for sharing the development in your town!

If my eyes are not deceiving me the boy at the tram station is faceless. Is there a reason for that?

No he's not faceless... Just looking the other way!! Although "faceless children" could make for an interesting story idea!! (Call the Ghostbusters, a Timelord... or a certain group of "meddling kids"!!)

So bad for the citizens that the old post office did not survive. Here in Denmark, we have already experienced a lot of post offices closing, but now the trend has actually reversed. More and more "post shops" are opening now (in supermarkets and kiosks) because of increasing internet commerce, not because people are dropping electronic ways of communication and starting writing good old-fashioned letters again :wink: - I just wonder if "Coffee Chain" could not have used the historic building for their latest expansion?

I think the rumours about the possibility of a new retail store are interesting. Cannot wait to see if the rumours are true...

Yes, most of the recently closed post offices here have been replaced by counters in nearby shops. As for keeping the building? They could have, but they're a "Nasty global corporation" :wink: so they didn't!!!

Anyway, more updates coming soon so watch this space...