Sheepo

Modular All-terrain Platform (MAP) & Jeep Willys

I was just thinking of building this jeep yesterday, but I'll buy your instructions instead :)

Said and done. Thank you Master Sheepo for these instructions :classic:

The build was very enjoyable and rich in learning experiencies for me, it showed me that I have a long way to go in terms of building with more axles and less pins, and that "solid enough" is better than "too solid".

I had to adapt color scheme to the parts I have, which are basically lots of yellow, black and red, but nearly nothing in DBG. I had some trouble picking the car up from the bodywork, so I added a sturdy roll bar and now I can pick it up from it and even drop it on it :laugh:

rPFNH0H-5jgpP4FezmHpWFjFB0E-Ago6aA49EkEXJi6A%3Dw1028-c-h771.jpg

o11C4JidFz4fRwl3tgOIjKEvSIDzkmnnEdpvG2JBF6Sh%3Dw792-c-h594.jpgZnP0tN0HxO3D1D4g5svGKyOR2yltMEzUJb8O3YQXkkBK%3Dw446-c-h594.jpg

You may notice I replaced the hard spring (yellow) shocks with custom shocks inspired in piterx's. This was an unnecessary complication, it was enough to just use the regular soft spring (LBG) shocks, without taking them apart. With these, the car can now stand with all 4 tires on the ground despite a gap of 2 wheels under one of them, or 1 in each of opposite wheels:

EkVipZ_qiXPCCaUMEv6YovREDClJchOBh2wW6dDJ1pbo%3Dw736-c-h552.jpgnvcqj2I15Bu00MG1Y-j9LyNFHSrOarNwLLh9WQD4fBbg%3Dw718-c-h957.jpg

Last photo shows a particularly bad camber angle because I made this mistake. I just realized now, fixed it while installing LBG shocks.

Also replaced the AA battery box with a PP3 9V battery with MiniZip, which is 174 g. lighter. Even with the additional parts to keep the PP3 battery in place with the car inverted, it's so much lighter than LBG shocks have no problem holding it :classic:

Now I can't wait for the SBrick app to work decently on Android, this car is too fast for the IR control, specially when trying to make it jump a ramp :grin:

Hi,

I've built chassis for my defender 110 (rc version) and i have to say that it's impressive. I found one thing that is worrying me- turning radius. When i turn left it's good, but when I turn right it barely turns. Have You Guys expirienced that problem?

Kuba

Edited by Kubavet

GREAT MOC!!

Little history:

Jeep didn't make a Willys, Willys was a vehicle manufacturer. Willys is also pronounced "willis" not willy's)

Willys made a variety of vehicles called the MA, MB, CJ2, CJ2A etc, which were commonly referred to as a jeep (which most say is a phonetic pronunciation of GP (which is General Purpose),

Ford and American Bantam also made a "jeep". They built the MB under licence during WWII for Willys to help with the war effort.

Willys was sold to Kaiser Motors in the 50's This would have been the first time 'jeep" was used with a capitol "J" vehicles were known a Kaiser-Jeep's or simply Jeep. Kaiser-Jeep was bought in 1970 by American Motors Corporation (AMC)

When AMC & Renault partnered in 1980, they could no longer make the "Jeep" for the US military (law forbids buying foreign products from military, there are ways around this) So the military side of the house was spun off into a separate, independant company called AM General which we know as the maker of the HMMWV (Humvee), not to be confused with the junk built under licence by General Motors called Hummer, which are nothing more than a badge engineered Chevy Tahoes(H2) and Chevy Colorado(H3) with a body package and an very high price increase...

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Hello guys,

reading this forum already for a while, really enjoying it! Started with Lego just a few months ago.

Finally all parts arrived and i built my 2nd lego modell ( first was regular 42009 ). Somehow it doesn't work really well. The car is kind of "bumping", the steering blocks the driving. Overall it's not a smooth drive..

The remote parts and servo motor were used in a few simple MOCs and worked well. Batteries are already changed..I made 2 videos, maybe you've got a few hints for me :) In the videos i'm pushing the throttle almost all the time, still the car stops..

Edited by minewere

Hello guys,

reading this forum already for a while, really enjoying it! Started with Lego just a few months ago.

Finally all parts arrived and i built my 2nd lego modell ( first was regular 42009 ). Somehow it doesn't work really well. The car is kind of "bumping", the steering blocks the driving. Overall it's not a smooth drive..

The remote parts and servo motor were used in a few simple MOCs and worked well. Batteries are already changed..I made 2 videos, maybe you've got a few hints for me :) In the videos i'm pushing the throttle almost all the time, still the car stops..

Are you sure you build it right? I have that chassis on my shelve. Never meet that problem.

1.Looks like your front wheels touch something on the frame...

2.May be steering overload IR receiver...Do you use V2 IR receiver? Try with 1 L motor connected to receiver (instead 2)

Edited by rm8

Are you sure you build it right?

Can't be 100% sure, going through instructions right now.

Disconnected one L-Motor, still the same. The problem with stutter and steering already occurs with no gear activated ( red catch in 0-position ). How do i know, if it's a V1 or V2?

While no throttle is active, the steering works fine. With active throttle the problems occure.

Edited by minewere

No V2 printed, probably V1 then..but it should handle one L- and one Servo-Motor, right?

Earlier it worked fine with 2 M- and 1 Servo-Motor

Video with no gear:

Ok now i'm really confused. I use 2 remotes ( as seen in the video, just for "comfort" ). Both on the same channel.

By coincidence tried it with just one, worked perfectly :wacko: What could be the reason? For clearance: Both perfectly work separate, together the problems occure.

Edited by minewere

Two remotes with the same channel interfere, that makes sense to me... So this should be why it not works, I think...

This is definitely it, it has happened to me too.

Here is a quick technical answer about how the PF remote controller works.

When you push any lever, it sends a signal, obviously, but when you push both levers it doesn't send two signals, it send just one signal which includes both levers signal at the same time.

Actually a controller can send 8 differents signals:

* Levers (right.left)

* + > front

* - > back

* 0 > stoped

1- (+.0)

2- (-.0)

3- (0.+)

4- (0.-)

5- (+.+)

6- (-.-)

7- (+.-)

8- (-.+)

For this reason why a receiver receives for example (+.0) and (0.-) at the same time it can't undenstand the signal and do rare things like you show in all videos

I hope this info can help you.