Sheepo

Modular All-terrain Platform (MAP) & Jeep Willys

Some months ago a topic started here in EB by piterx, inspired to design a little, fast, simple and funny 4x4.

My original idea was build again a Land-Rover Defender in small scale to help to the people who likes my previous Defender but it is too much big and expensive.

But when I was starting the car I though about that will be even more interesting if I design a chassis which can be used in many differents 4x4. I finnally designed a modular 4x4 platform.

I have called it Modular All-terrain Platform (MAP)

portada.jpg

This platform can be used in almost all 4x4s with live axles. I this category you can find many Jeeps, Land-Rovers, Toyotas and many other famous 4x4.

3.jpg

This MOC has been designed to be easy to built, very strong and light, funny to drive and as cheap as possible.

The width is 17 studs.

The chassis comes in two versions RC and MANUAL, with many features, some of them common, and other specific for one version.

Common features

- Wheelbase

The most important feature in this platform is the option to change the wheelbese very easily and quickly. You only need to change 3 parts, yes only 3 parts to use any wheelbease you want between 22 and 30 studs, without change any other part in the chassis.

unidos%2Bcon%2Bnumeros.jpg

With all this options you can use it in any vehicle you want and the bodywork will always fit correctly and very proportionate.

I have studied many 4x4 and the wheelbase between 22 and 30 with 17 studs of wide is enough to built almost any real 4x4 ever built.

- 4WD

The chassis has permanent 4x4 traction with two differentials. This platforn has not been designed to be used like a Truck Trial, so it is better use differentials and increase the usability on smooth surfaces.

IMG_20141221_134318.jpg

- Live axles suspension

Like the bests 4x4 this chassis has live axles with 3-links configutation in front and rear. Also it has good suspension travel, specialy in the rear axle .

- Steering by push-pull bar

Again like the real 4x4s the front axles use a bar system to make the steering works. Very realistic, strong and reliable.

I have measured more than 30 differents 4x4 to fix the steering wheel in the best possible position.

IMG_20141221_134312.jpg

MANUAL VERSION FEATURES

- Interchangeable fake engine

To be used in all possible 4x4s, it is necessary to have the options to use differents fake engines. I have included 3 differents engines: L4, V6 and V8. I have not added a L6 because there are not enough space to fit it.

You can change the motor in less than 10 seconds.

2014-12-27%2B20.07.02.jpg

- Working steering wheel

The position of the steering wheel is exactly the same as the RC version.

RC VERSION FEATURES

- Powered by PF

Like the name sais, this version has Power Functions. It uses a servo motor fot the steering and 2L motors for drive. Actually the whole PF system is exactly the same as the set 9398 (Crawler).

IMG_20141221_131724.jpg

- 2 speeds gearbox

This version also includes a 2 speeds manual gearbox. Perfect to go fast on flat floors and slow cross-country.

IMG_20141221_134300.jpg

The gear ratios:

Low - 1:1 - Max speed: 1.3kph

High - 1:3 - Max speed: 4kph

Jeep Willys

One of the most famous 4x4 vehicles ever made.

This is the first bodywork I have designed because it is small and simple to build, and at the same time very famous and

The exacly scale for the Willys is 1:11.6

2.jpg

IMG_20141221_134847.jpg

IMG_20141221_134906.jpg

IMG_20141221_135139.jpg

Now as always a little video showing how it works.

Complete instructions for both versions available now!!

All info HERE

Edited by Sheepo

What an awesome platform you made! I love how can you make it motorized or manual. So many options and thing to add/remove, trully universal!

Edited by Zblj

Great job with this platform. I like the modularity :thumbup: .

I have a question about the instructions. Let's assume that I purchase one or more of this platform instructions. Can I make a BI of a moc based on our instructions ? and publish it ?

I have nothing against builders requesting money for their instructions. I know the work involved in making them.

Edited by Zimix

But Why, No, we MUST Pay for instructions!

Best small off road er I've ever seen!

I have spent in this MOC more than 60 hours of my little free time, why should I give them for free?

Remember one important thing: more than 50% of the time spent in any of my cars are only to do the instructions.

I have a question about the instructions. Let's assume that I purchase one or more of this platform instructions. Can I make a BI of a moc based on our instructions ? and publish it ?

Good question. Please send me an email and we will talk personally about that.

Another superb job Sheepo !!!: :thumbup: :thumbup: :sweet:

Unfortunately not everyone can figure out how much time you have to devote to making the MOC more functional and practical as possible, and in particular all the time spent to create building instructions.

Great Chassis - looking forward to seeing peoples creations

but at the moment not paying for that - no money left after christmas .... :-(

Edited by Rockbrick

:P inspiring one of your favourite builders... awesome

getting instructions as a christmas present from him: PRICELESS

lol

great job sheepo! it performs really well and of course it's so cool that it's modular :)

this is what i'd call something really well engineered

:P inspiring one of your favourite builders... awesome

getting instructions as a christmas present from him: PRICELESS

lol

you may have got them as a present but the rest of us have to pay him a present, and rightly so!

But Why, No, we MUST Pay for instructions!

Best small off road er I've ever seen!

I have spent in this MOC more than 60 hours of my little free time, why should I give them for free?

Remember one important thing: more than 50% of the time spent in any of my cars are only to do the instructions.

I think Epic technic was saying it is right to pay for instructions I don't think he was being sarcastic or wanting free instructions

Just purchased the RC version with Jeep Bodywork instructions - best thing about these (in addition to what I consider a LOW price) is the learning opportunity to see how great designers build. Amazing work!!!

you may have got them as a present but the rest of us have to pay him a present, and rightly so!

I think Epic technic was saying it is right to pay for instructions I don't think he was being sarcastic or wanting free instructions

Lets hope so. There is no shame for making us pay for instructions. I am more than happy to pay for such fine work. The mere fact that Sheepo is willing to make what he does, and share it with others is super awesome. It allows mere mortals such as myself build something truly incredible. The end product is great, but the sheer experience is priceless.

Lets hope so. There is no shame for making us pay for instructions. I am more than happy to pay for such fine work. The mere fact that Sheepo is willing to make what he does, and share it with others is super awesome. It allows mere mortals such as myself build something truly incredible. The end product is great, but the sheer experience is priceless.

Yes this was meant to be a sarcastic and dramatic comment, I completely understand why he is charging money for his time devoted instructions.

Hi Sheepo, I really like your tendency to modular building! Really great use of motors attachment points in this moc. I confess, that I am currently trying to reverse engineer the motorised version from the photos you posted. Only got the rear axle left, the front one was quite tricky and I don't think I managed to build the same as you, but it performs quite well. I have never actualy build such compact, but detailed axles - I really like it, thanks for sharing with us.

Btw. and off topic, finally got enough pieces (unfortnately not all in the correct colour) for your LandRover. Your BI for that one are great and really worth the purchase.

Oh, maybe just something that bothers me a bit on the Willys body - shouldn't the sides of the hood be more straight forward and not skewed so much?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Dear Sheepo,

do your work on something larger that Willys based on this chassis now?

Yes this was meant to be a sarcastic and dramatic comment, I completely understand why he is charging money for his time devoted instructions.

I that case sorry for my previous answer ;), I receive daily complains about why I don't share the instructions for my MOCs free, and as you can imagine I am very tired about that.

Dear Sheepo,

do your work on something larger that Willys based on this chassis now?

Yes, now I am working in a bodywork with 27 studs of wheelbase.

Hello Sheepo. Thank you so put something in store for us.

I have bought all three instructions with my brother in law.

It was a lot of fun to build and expand ....

Here are two examples ...

12753b.JPG12764b.JPG

12699b.JPG12711b.JPG

And here's a hot rod inspired by

your Jeep

12842b.JPG12846b.JPG

Thanks to you for share your moc with us ;)

This is the first MOC I see based in the MAP.

I really like them!! I specially like the canvas roof. The roof is actually green cardboard, right?

In the same red Willys you have modified the axles, right? Without modification you can't use that wheels.

To see moc like these is the reason why I created this platform. My version of the Willys is not specially well done, but it is a great start point to build many off-roads easily and your owns versions of it.

Verry cool

And here's a hot rod inspired by

your Jeep

These are really cool , I love the grey ambulance !