Sign in to follow this  
BlackVagrant

Which set is the one you enjoyed building the most?

Just a topic to gather some sharing from everyone here in EB forum. Which set you enjoyed building the most?

It could be your first set you purchase with year long savings back then, or your first UCS, or a set with the most details, the list goes on. :laugh:

I think it was the 8258. It was my first flagshipset . I still rmember all the fancy new bricks and panels :cry_happy:

Over my many years I have two that stick in my brain as favorites to build. Kings mountain fortress and the black seas barracuda. Kings mountain fortress was my first Lego castle, and I was all amped up to get it. Building on the raised base plate was a lot of fun. I rebuilt that set more than any, I think. I rebuilt it this year and still love it! The black seas Barracuda was tough as a kid, super detailed and massive! I remember lugging the finished ship with me to every Christmas stop. I rebuilt that set this year too, still love it!

For me it would have to be The Crystal Skull Temple, there was a wide range of building techniques used , every time you opened a new bag you didn't know what to expect.

I think it was the 8258. It was my first flagshipset . I still rmember all the fancy new bricks and panels :cry_happy:

I am pretty impressed with the Technic series. The mechanics, gears... :grin:

Over my many years I have two that stick in my brain as favorites to build. Kings mountain fortress and the black seas barracuda. Kings mountain fortress was my first Lego castle, and I was all amped up to get it. Building on the raised base plate was a lot of fun. I rebuilt that set more than any, I think. I rebuilt it this year and still love it! The black seas Barracuda was tough as a kid, super detailed and massive! I remember lugging the finished ship with me to every Christmas stop. I rebuilt that set this year too, still love it!

6081 and 6285? My knowledge of them are limited. But they sure look awesome. I guess not just the build, but the fond memories of these classic sets that brings many through the dark ages! :laugh:

For me it would have to be The Crystal Skull Temple, there was a wide range of building techniques used , every time you opened a new bag you didn't know what to expect.

7627? Indiana Jones set. The set was discontinued after 1 year it seems. Again, i have limited knowledge of it, but it is pretty awesome set i must say. :sweet:

I think 8258 Crane Truck too. All those gears.

Haha. Just curious, do most Technic fans go for MindStorms too? :wink:

I'd say parisien restaurant

Mine is still MISB! Haha. Will be building it some day when i have the space to display it. :blush:

The medieval jousts :wub:

10223? I would love to get hold of that Falcon Knight! :grin:

:knight:

Edited by BlackVagrant

The Portal of Atlantis, I got it when I first got interested in lego, honestly, I enjoyed that set.

8078? The 2 sharks at the gates are jumping at me when i'm checking that set. Looks awesome. :excited:

Yes, the 10223.

I still have the Medieval Market to build (10193), it will be my award after cleaning all the christmas stuff :laugh:

That's another very detailed set it seems. Build it and share with us here! :laugh:

:knight:

I have a few:

10193 Medieval Market Village. I rarely get big sets, and this one feels even bigger despite being made only of tiny pieces. Two gorgeous buildings and all the little side vignettes, and a very generous price-per-part ratio made this very fun to see take shape.

Although my new favorite might be 31019 Forest Animals, simply because of the ridiculous amount of expressiveness in the monkey's face and gestures. IMO LEGO knocked it out of the park with his design. I bought it at a discount primarily as a nice tan-and-brown parts pack, but it might become the first set I leave together for longer than a week or two (maybe even indefinitely!). I will try to get some pictures put together to show what I mean and post them.

Edited by rodiziorobs

There are many nice sets, but An Unexpected Gathering must be my favorite. I built it on Christmas Day and have never taken it apart since that time two years ago. It is such a nice cheery scene with some really amazing building techniques, especially the window.

I have a few:

10193 Medieval Market Village. I rarely get big sets, and this one feels even bigger despite being made only of tiny pieces. Two gorgeous buildings and all the little side vignettes, and a very generous price-per-part ratio made this very fun to see take shape.

Although my new favorite might be 31019 Forest Animals, simply because of the ridiculous amount of expressiveness in the monkey's face and gestures. IMO LEGO knocked it out of the park with his design. I bought it at a discount primarily as a nice tan-and-brown parts pack, but it might become the first set I leave together for longer than a week or two (maybe even indefinitely!). I will try to get some pictures put together to show what I mean and post them.

It will seem even bigger still MMV does not have numbered bags. So it's old school sorting.

My most enjoyable? Either 10197, my first Modular, or the recent 75059 Sandcrawler which is the largest I have ever sat down to. Both have that feeling of deflation when you realize it is done.

Well... I'd third (or fourth, at this point) the Medieval Market Village, when I built it. It was the largest set I'd ever built (piece wise) to that date, and while it was a lot of small pieces, the result, to me, was just absolutely beautiful. But then I built the Green Grocer, and that easily took over... until I built the Emerald Night (since my primary interest in LEGO is trains anyway).

So it's not necessarily that none of the more recent modulars have not been better, but GG was my first one, and I just thought it was a beautiful building. It may also have to do with the fact that I built GG on my own, but since then the modulars have been "family builds," and I don't get the joy of doing it all myself (not that I mind... I'll take a "family build" any day).

Among the sets I have built up until now, I'll have to say 42009.

I'm looking at getting 42030 and expect to enjoy that build more.

I've been building a lot of sets lately as I am helping restore my 3 young boys demolished sets and to build their Christmas loot. My favorite is the Arkham Asylum and the City Airport Fire truck.

Parisian Restaurant was a particular favourite.

All time though would have to be 854 Go Kart ... I built this so many times as a child that I can still build it now, without instructions.

I'm into trains and Technic but I have to agree with the others that Medieval Market Village was my most enjoyable build.

Second place goes to set 8455 Back-Hoe.

The most fun watching a build was when I picked up 10214 Tower Bridge to torture my brother.

It took him a full week to build. :laugh:

I have hundreds of sets across most themes and I have enjoyed all of them. In recent years I think the minifigs have taken precedence over set design, so I'm just thinking about the build experience.

My choices are:

8265 Front Loader which was my first studless technic set, and drew me back in with its wonderful quantity and complexity of gears.

8880 Super Car, a difficult build and a wonderful set both for function and playability.

6980 Galaxy Commander, pure magic as a playset

7066 Earth Defence HQ, made me feel 30 years younger when I built it

8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U400, definitely the most enjoyable set to build so far. :classic:

That gets my vote too. It's a large, complex build with some great techniques, some fine engineering principles demonstrated in Lego and excellent playability.

Best. Set. Evah!

For me, it has to be the classic Yellow Castle. I loved everything about it! There's even an amusing story about the first time I built it:

My family and I were temporarily living at the boarding school where my mother worked and since I was only a small child there were strict rules about where I was not allowed to go. However, I wanted more space to play with my Lego collection (which, even at that time, was already getting a bit large) so I used to sneak into classrooms late at night.

One night, having just gotten this most exciting yellow castle set, I crept into the science & mathematics lab (a dangerous and most forbidden place), spread my precious Lego all over the counter and started to build. Unfortunately, I got so engrossed in the hinged walls and working drawbridge, I forgot how loud the sound of rummaging through piles of bricks can be, especially when echoing down a big, 19th Century school corridor in the middle of the night! The night custodian heard me and came to investigate. In my rush to gather my Lego and hide, I dropped a knight, spear and shield.

The custodian found the pieces and the next day my mother was sternly admonished for letting me play in labs at night, which she strongly denied. She almost had them convinced they were mistaken until I came forward and admitted my wrongdoing. You see, to me, it didn't matter about getting in trouble, as long as I got my Lego pieces back!