_epicster_

Best and Worst Marvel/DC Figures

Similar to the sets topic here in the Licensed Forum, what is your favorite FIGURE from the sets we've gotten in 2014. And to expand on that, what is your least favorite? Here's mine

Marvel -

Favorite - Drax the Destroyer. I'm a bit biased because the actor who played him is WWE Wrestler Batista and it's cool to (almost) have a LEGO WWE Figure.

Least Favorite - Groot. The build-a-figure looks horrible. The figure is way too large, and the grey joints really take away from the whole thing.

DC -

Favorite - Heath Ledger Joker. You don't know how excited I was to hear that this version of the Joker would get a figure. I'm a big Batman Nolan-verse fan.

Least Favorite - I'm really lost here. The DC lineup this year wasn't anything stellar, but nothing BAD. However, I am disappointed in the Flash for his lack of leg printing, so I'll say him, Although getting a Flash minifigure is awesome and the Helmet does look great.

So post your favorite and least favorite Superheroes figures for 2014!

Edit - forgot to mention "of 2014" in the title.

Edited by _epicster_

MARVEL:

Best - Probably Wolverine. Followed closely by Star-Lord and Magneto.

Worst - Green Goblin. No words can describe how terrible this figure is.

DC:

Best - The Flash. Followed closely by Martian Manhunter and The Riddler.

Worst - The Penguin. Much prefer the Arkham Asylum variant. Other contenders were Scuba Batman and Man-Bat.

Well, I only bought Marvel sets this year (nothing in DC's lineup really grabbed me this year), and none really leaped out at me as being terrible, but let me think… hmmm… oh, also, I'm limiting myself to the sets I bought this year just to be fair.

Best: Drax, but for a slightly weird reason: I love his printing, and how all of the skulls from Bautista's makeup were replaced with little lego skulls. I actually laughed out loud when I noticed that. Followed by the Nova Corps member, as weird as that sounds.

Worst: Groot, even though I do like the figure. But I somewhat agree with epister about how he's hugely out of scale for the rest of the figures and the dark grey joints are really distracting. If he was a big fig like Hulk or if they made special dark green/brown parts for his joints and if he was just a little shorter, he'd be even better. None of the figures I bought this year were really bad. Though the Sakaaran's were a little boring as army builders.

For ones I DIDN’T buy (I lied earlier):

DC: Best, probably Nightwing for ALMOST looking like a Terry McGinnis figure, and Worst I’m gonna call Man-Bat, because I don’t like the batwing arm things.

Marvel: Best, I’m gonna say Taskmaster for his awesome sword and shield, and Worst I’m gonna say Falcon because I REALLY wanted a movie-verse Falcon and we got the comic one. Alternative option, Thor, because I really don’t like his simplistic design compared to the movie figure’s design.

Looking forward and based on what we know, I'm gonna say that DC's Space Batman is the best and their Gorilla Grodd is the worst (I'm sorry, he's just REALLY boring to me), while Marvel's best is one of the new Ultron soldiers (I actually like their look for the sake of army building) and their worst is the Hulkbuster armor (it's not terrible, but it's not great either, and I'll probably end up tweaking it a bit when I get it).

Edited by MrManiac

I don't really hate any figures at all, but I'll attempt to answer this.

Marvel:

Best: excluding Phoenix, I would have to say probably Storm, because of her hair, Cape and Printing

Worst: Green Goblin, not Legos fault per se, but the design is atrocious

Now to the one I collect more:

DC:

Best: Poison Ivy is really good and really captures the essence. I also love Two-Face and Space Batman, but this is about 2014, so I'd have to say The Flash.

Worst: No bad DC figures, now or ever for me. Gun to my head id say Damien Wayne. Only because I don't like the person.

Marvel:

Best: Wolverine hands down. I'm just in love with that cowl piece :wub:

Worst: Green Goblin, c'mon Lego really? I'm hoping that we get a classic Gobby thanks to the new Minifigures Goblin headpiece. Runner up is Spider-Man as he never had at least ONE variant yet. I'm hoping that changes this year.

DC:

Best: A three way toss up between Nightwing, BTB Batman or Flash, they all look awesome!

Worst: Dragster Riddler or the black Batsuit Batman. Lego missed the opportunity to put the Riddler in a suit (thankfully there was Mr. Burns for that) and that black Batsuit has become a pain in my side due to me having so many of them.

Marvel best: Marvel had a really good line-up this year. I think Storm is probably my favorite. I also love that we got MODOK though.

Marvel worst: Hm, probably Thor from the Hulk Breakout set. I think that he is a decent figure, I actually kind of like his strange "You dare?" expression and a comic torso is nice to have, but there are a few design choices that seem plain and actually bad. The only others I can't say I really like, not counting Groot and the Sentinel, are Cyclops (who is just boring) and Green Goblin (but that's not LEGO's fault so much).

DC best: Batgirl. Flash is the...runner-up.

DC worst: Man-Bat

Marvel Best: Star Lord (Starblaster Showdown) or Taskmaster

Marvel Worst: Thor

DC Best: Flash

DC Worst: Riddler

No terrible figures this year I thought. Some were kind of boring, but still neat to have. :thumbup:

DC best~ Space Batman

Worst~original Poison Ivy

Marvel best~Rocket Raccoon[polymer promo] just so detailed

Worst~big fig green goblin

DC Best: Nightwing, Damian Wayne, Babs, Heath Ledger Joker.

Worst: Drag-racing Riddler (should've had a sharp-looking green suit on).

Marvel Best: Storm, Wolverine, Doc Ock.

Worst: Cyclops, oh wait the Goblin was like Lego took a turd on all things comics.

Edited by mulletwing

I made a top 3 for each category if that's ok.

DC

Best:

1) Joker (76023) - finally! They just nailed it.

2) Joker (76013) - reminds me a lot of Nicholson's Joker

3) Riddler - pretty original take on the character

Special mentions for Scuba Batman and Nolan Batman from 76023

Worst:

1) Man-bat - nothing special, could have easily made a custom of him

2) Batman (black and yellow) - I actually don't mind the figure but he appears in too many sets already

3) Plastic Man - meh

Marvel

Best:

1) Ronan - I don't care about the character but the minifig is really cool-looking.

2) Star-lord (76019) - really dig the mask/helmet, the black makes his outfit look less plain than the other version

3) Red Skull - the minifig itself is nothing special but I'm just glad they made him and he just looks great (kinda like Deadpool)

Special mention for Rocket (polybag) - leg and arm printings are awesome and he looks better with that outfit

Worst:

1) Groot - way too big, disappointing

2) Spider-man - gets really boring, I don't really like the bright comic colours

3) Magneto (76022) - the 1st version of the character looked way better

Polybag Rocket might be the best or at least the most detailed minifig ever released in Superheroes theme

shame it was made in china though

Best Marvel - Rocket from the polybag although I loved the Storm figure.

Worst Marvel - the Sentinel which is all manner of wrong. The head is far too small and the whole thing looks flimsy. Other than that, I'll echo the thoughts on Green Goblin. As a comics fan I don't like Electro either but can see why he is as he is.

Best DC - Batgirl is excellent

Worst DC - don't really have one. There wasn't a single duff figure in the whole range.

Best DC - Batgirl.

Worst DC - bane from the film...

Best Marvel - Ronan's head peice was incredible and Dr Octopus was a great one for me this year too.

Worst Marvel - the new Magneto looks pretty poor, they should have made his helmet a dark purple to match up with the body.

Obviously the Green Goblin was just the wrong line to use for this figure.

Spiderwoman, not because of the figure, but because of the SDCC crap. The figure looks awesome, but I really want her in my collection. I would prefer the black and white versionpersonally though...

I dont like most of marvel figures, thats why I didnt buy their sets. That giant helmet of Iron man looks terrible. Captain isn't much better. I think they should make for him helmet like for Flash in DC.

With DC there's absolutely another situation. I like their sets and mostly all of the figures. Its even hard to say, which figure is bad. Anyway..

Marvel:

Best - Magneto

Worst - Iron Man, Cap, Spider-man

DC:

Best - Superman from Man of steel sets, Batman from 76012, Flash, Scarecrow

Worst - Two-Face from 6864-1

Guys, your bias is showing...The Green Goblin isn't a bad fig. It has nice printing and is well made. The problem is that it's NOT the Green Goblin we want. That's why it sucks.

Marvel:

Best-

1) Storm. Would be better with a headpiece though!!

2) Ronan. Awesome headpiece!

3) MODOK. It's amazing we even got this fig! :sweet:

4) Wolverine with Cowl

Worst-

1) Mandarin :sick: Do I really need to go on?

2) USM Doc Oc. :sick: Hideous and bad printing.

3) Chitauri. They needed a helmet mold and they're over printed to the point where you're not sure what you're looking at.

4) First Avengers Hawkeye or Black Widow. Horribly inaccurate

5) Aldrich Killian. Doesn't even look like him...

DC:

Best-

1) Classic Wonderwoman. Super awesome printing

2) Classic Martian Manhunter. Love the collar & cape combo. Wish movie Vision had it.

3) Cyborg- would be better with arm cannon though

Worst-

1) Colonel Hardy :sick: Talk about Generic

2) Movie Bane. Hideous and lame. Did anyone really want this fig..?

3) Catwoman sucks too. Hate that headpiece.

4) Hospital Harley Quinn is just..lame

5) Lois Lane. Nice Torso print, but suffers from female superhero minifig syndrome. Inaccurate face + basic hair combo.

Overall: both themes have pretty equally good and bad figs. DC's problem is too many Batman figs that just aren't that good and also not enough leg printing on the figs that need it. Marvel's problem is bad movie figs and choosing to base figs on USM designs which are terribly designed from the get go. Good thing that show is being canceled!! These themes have a lot of room for improvement but we'll get there one day! :tongue:

Edited by Ultron

Marvel

Best: Polybag Rocket because you get Rocket AND Groot!

Worst: Nova because it's not Rich

DC

Best: Junior Batman because its his Neal Adams costume

Worst: Captain Marvel because he is a darn SDCC exclusive grrrrrr

DC

Best:

2015 Green Lantern

Brainiac

Superboy

Worst:

2015 New52 Wonder Woman = headgear, head, and torso are perfect match, but the legs looks inaccurate.

Scuba suit Robin

2013 Lois Lane = her face looks mad.

Marvel

Best:

Star-Lord

Drax

Polybag Rocket Racoon

Ronan

2015 Black Widow

Ultron

Red Skull

Comic version Doc-Ock

Avengers Assemble The Hulk

Avengers Assemble Captain America

Avengers Assemble Thor

Winter Soldier

Worst:

Sakaraans

Nova Corps Officer

Gamora = Looks inaccurate and it does not look like from the movie.

Groot = Too big, but its expensive to buy it separately online.

Age of Ultron version of The Hulk

Edited by legofanatic12

2015 WW is based on her Jim Lee drawing where she had pants.

Gamora is pretty accurate too.

Why dislike the AoU hulk? It's accurate to the film.

Gamora is pretty accurate too.

But she doesn't match in her film appearance except her torso (no arms), legs, head and hairpiece are still decent.

Why dislike the AoU hulk? It's accurate to the film.

Because his face and hairpiece reminds me of MF Frankenstein's monster and Wreck-It Ralph.

UPDATE:

Most Worst

DC = Guard

Marvel = Truck Driver

They both has generic torso.

Edited by legofanatic12