Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

Book II, Challenge 3, Cat A - Tunnel Recon

My Category A entry for the Men's side! Unfortunately, this will be my only entry to Challenge 3. :sad:

16155895361_a859b9be89_c.jpg

During the Drow incursion in Avalonia, western Mitgardian army officials ordered hundreds of shafts dug to the bedrock for the early warning devices perfected by the Kaliphlinites (sand worms are a major problem in sections of the Siccus Badlands). These devices were drums placed at the bottom of each shaft that, when the ground vibrated, beat seemingly of their own accord. If one was near enough to hear, the alarm could be raised and a Drow sneak attack from underground would be far less sneaky. Although no Drow tunneled to Mitgardia during the crisis, the drums were manned again on Elon Chorian’s command to listen for Amortug dwarves tunneling in the opposite direction.

This MOC was inspired by the Mythbusters episode where they test the rather dubious myth that in the middle ages Chinese military engineers used drums to sense vibrations in the ground caused by enemy tunneling. Apparently, it's plausible... Link

Kaliphlinites, I'd like to claim UoP credit for:

• Landscape Design--trees (#3 for me)

Flickr

C&C appreciated as always!

Excellent entry, great idea and awesome landscape and trees! :classic:

Great idea! Also love Mythbusters so i've seen this myth too! The entry is excellent, nice cave, and love the foliage up top.

Very worthy entry and an amazing source of inspiration! Love the colors and the underground rock work! Too bad you can't make more entries!

Excellent entry, great idea and awesome landscape and trees! :classic:

Thanks Garmadon!

UoP DoH +1

Thank you sir!

Excellent idea - meets with perfect execution. :thumbup:

:blush:

Great idea! Also love Mythbusters so i've seen this myth too! The entry is excellent, nice cave, and love the foliage up top.

The "Science Channel" has been running all the Mythbusters episodes non-stop this week.... :laugh:

Very worthy entry and an amazing source of inspiration! Love the colors and the underground rock work! Too bad you can't make more entries!

Thanks kabel, too much holiday season travelling for me. Hard to build when you've got to drive all day for a few days. :angry:

Very intriguing warning system, quite clever :thumbup: The trees look incredible and I love the little campsite :wub:

Excellent tunnel too, glad you were able to get one entry in :classic:

Great job with the green tree here, the shape is really organic and immediately drew my attention! :thumbup:

Very creative entry, this looks like it was a lot of fun to design and build! The drum idea is great and I love how the build is split into two levels. Cool tree designs too!

Very intriguing warning system, quite clever :thumbup: The trees look incredible and I love the little campsite :wub:

Excellent tunnel too, glad you were able to get one entry in :classic:

This is a great idea! And you did it so nicely too!

Very creative entry, this looks like it was a lot of fun to design and build! The drum idea is great and I love how the build is split into two levels. Cool tree designs too!

Thank you all!

I love a good tunnel build when it comes to Castle, this is no exception. Great job, liking the trees too.

Thanks ISC! Are you back with us for a while?

Great job with the green tree here, the shape is really organic and immediately drew my attention! :thumbup:

Thanks Kai, is that a UoP +1? :grin:

Whoops, somehow I missed that, but the tree is definitely worth it, so +1 from me!

Whoops, somehow I missed that, but the tree is definitely worth it, so +1 from me!

Thanks! :wink:

So many great entries and this is no exception! Love the tunnel and the tree!! :classic:

Yeah, this challenge seems to have more participation than the the previous two. Don't know if it's just me or if the numbers are actually higher though.

Wonderful entry, mrcp6d!

The tunnel is excellently done, especially with the framing to prevent collapse! Interesting concept for detecting the dwarves using the drum! My favorite details are the trees with their wonderfully natural appearance! Nice work!

I really like those trees!

Wonderful entry, mrcp6d!

The tunnel is excellently done, especially with the framing to prevent collapse! Interesting concept for detecting the dwarves using the drum! My favorite details are the trees with their wonderfully natural appearance! Nice work!

Thanks you two, I can't tell you how many times the lighter one came undone... Not the most stable thing in the world for some reason.

Excellent idea, well executed! I like those trees as well, well done!

Oh that is a genius idea! Great build.

I really like the idea of using an existing but unfamiliar technique!

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed throwing this together.