Jeroen Ottens

[TC6] Alfa Romeo 4C Spider - free instructions released

@ darksheep: Instructions are in the planning.

I will make photo-instructions available for this after the contest is over.

only three words can describe this MOC: gorgeous awesome oustanding :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: - its one of the very very few MOCs i would pay quite any price for instructions... without downgrading the other very talented and admirable supercar MOCers (crowkiller, sheepo etc...): but if anyone would force me only building one and only one supercar MOC then probably i would build your spider.... would be worth being an official Lego set...

I wonder, are there smaller versions of those transparent 'motorcycle seats' available? The headlights seem a tad oversized.

Somewhere end september last year

Hmm. And I guess you are not doing this at full time.

I usualy spend more time on designing a model and my models are nowhere near to yours...

More than 4 month? What took you so long? I mean technically, excluding work, irrelevant non lego stuff, parts shipping etc. Was that the shifting?

Edited by Omikron

I wonder, are there smaller versions of those transparent 'motorcycle seats' available? The headlights seem a tad oversized.

I couldn't find any, but if anyone knows a different solution I'd be happy to hear it, they are a bit too big indeed.

Hmm. And I guess you are not doing this at full time.

I usualy spend more time on designing a model and my models are nowhere near to yours...

I did have more time than usual at my hands these past four months (and my wife is starting to complain about my (non-)presence in the evenings... :blush: ). Future models will probably take longer again...

More than 4 month? What took you so long? I mean technically, excluding work, irrelevant non lego stuff, parts shipping etc. Was that the shifting?

The last month was almost exclusively spent on the gearbox selector mechanism. I think I spend the first month on the bodywork (at some point I had a complete outer shell with only two beams going from front to back inside. Even the wheels were just put on 12L axles at the right location. Once I had the outer contours right I started working digitally to get the inner mechanics right. That took the remainder of the time. Of course by the time I had finished the inner mechanics the outer parts had also changed numerous times.

I had to go back and forth between digital and real-life building a lot this time (I use digital for the intricate modeling with lots of gears & axles, but judging shapes and testing functions can only be done in real-life in my experience).

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Will you make a new video?

I'll have to change at least the description parts. The M and servo motor have switched function now. I'm not sure if I will completely redo the video though. The editing of this video cost me more than 8 hours, I'm not convinced that the effort of a new video is worth it. Visually hardly anything changed. I think you'd rather have me spending time on the building instructions :wink:

How about throwing out our girls, shacking up together and I promise I won't complain, we would be happily building ever after

Edited by Lipko

Car looks gorgeous. :wub: Only thing that looks out of place are the side mirrors. They look like they are sitting a stud too low. It is especially noticeable from the side profile picture. I also didn't know that Lego made a 1/2 bushing in black. Learn something new everyday. :laugh:

How big is it compared to lets say the 8070 supercar, or the le mans racecar or the Volvo loader.

The Alfa is 44 cm long

The 8070 is 48 cm long

I don't know the length of the LeMans

The Volvo is 59 cm long

The Alfa has 2086 parts (latest version count, still tinkering though...)

The 8070 has 1281 parts

The LeMans has 1219 parts

The Volvo has 1636 parts

A more dense design than Lego standard for sure

Wow it sounds very compact, it looks very small because you have captured that distinct Alfa look. But yet it has a revamped 4 speed gearbox, movable seats, a big bb, tight steering and still room for a V4 engine. That really shows the hard work you have put into this model.

To change the seat functions do you have to change the gearbox speeds?

Yes, I only use one gear selector.

So you'd better not try to adjust your seat while driving :)

Could've been funny Bond-mobile if adjusting was modified a little bit though.

1- shift-2-shift-3-shift-4-shift-EJECTION seat blast off!

I really love that model. I'm still impressed by how "technical" technic models are :sweet:

That gearbox is a charm to look at. I've played the video a few times, and I have absolutely no clue how it's done :grin:

As a system builder, the part that bothers me is the cover you used on the trans parts on the front. Have you tried replacing the 1x2 tile by a 1x1 tile and a 1x2 curved slope?

I really love that model. I'm still impressed by how "technical" technic models are :sweet:

That gearbox is a charm to look at. I've played the video a few times, and I have absolutely no clue how it's done :grin:

As a system builder, the part that bothers me is the cover you used on the trans parts on the front. Have you tried replacing the 1x2 tile by a 1x1 tile and a 1x2 curved slope?

I know what you mean, this part is bugging me as well, and I have tried a couple of curved pieces, but since they do not connect to the rest of the structure it makes it look even more out of place :sceptic:. So suggestions are most welcome.

As for the gearbox: instructions will follow after the contest is over.

I know what you mean, this part is bugging me as well, and I have tried a couple of curved pieces, but since they do not connect to the rest of the structure it makes it look even more out of place :sceptic:. So suggestions are most welcome.

As for the gearbox: instructions will follow after the contest is over.

How about flipping the light around and attaching it under the white panel that is above it , that way you would not even have to worry about the studs because they are hidden by the panel.