Jeroen Ottens

[TC6] Alfa Romeo 4C Spider - free instructions released

Hi

Another update. I have rebuilt the car (again)... New mudguards (with thanks to some members of the eurobricks community), new shoulders, new dashboard, new doors, new internal frame...

16178400207_1b87e64ec2_c.jpg

Looks great with the white mudguards!

And I love the "carpet backdrop" you used for your picture :thumbup:

Awesome picture and work, do you plan on making a video because I'm sure the performance will match the looks. You make great progress every time, I'm the opposite; my car was literally finished on Friday, but the gearbox clunked all the bloody time. I then removed the rear cover, roof, engine, battery etc to take out the gearbox. And now I have to research again to find a suitable gearbox (and that normally takes days). I'm going to retry slfrodens gearbox (I built one last year but it failed because the xl motors just wanted to rip the whole gearbox). I'm desperate this time, your gearbox works really well, unlike my attempts. Are there any performance specs? ;)

I think it lost a little of it's presence without the red mudguards, but still an amazing model. Probably the most outstanding supercar I've seen.

I would love to see a pic of the underside.

-ED-

Final update (allthough my 100% reliable gear selector is more like 50% reliable :angry: , so maybe, if I get a brainwave, I will improve that again...)

Anyhow, the outer shell is finished I would say, so here is the video:

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

It is definitively getting one of my voted! Great work, but I miss the white "rims".

Great work!

-ED-

Ok...this is an awesome car :wub: and expecially there is a good ration between functions and dimension :thumbup: But...

I have To say something To its two-hand ed driver >.> sure he want comfortable seat with all the functions (like an Alfa romeo owner ahahaha) but di you want also to drive your comfortable car?;) I suggest you To make a better remote if you have problems with the gearbox, but i really want To see this beast in action with that beautiful sequential gearbox :wub: also it seems To have a good speed :3

Great video, I love all the functions, but can we see more footage of it driving, perhaps a top speed test outside. I reckon it could max at 5-8kmh, the car is very agile for changing directions, and pretty light.

This model was perfect in my eyes from the first picture, and you kept improving it...wow. I'm just gonna hope for second place :laugh:

To be honest, while I love the model, I can't justify giving the most points to a Lego Technic contest entry of which the gearbox only works 50% of the time. So I gave Jeroen a suggestion in PM which will hopefully help his gearbox.

To be honest, while I love the model, I can't justify giving the most points to a Lego Technic contest entry of which the gearbox only works 50% of the time. So I gave Jeroen a suggestion in PM which will hopefully help his gearbox.

Also, the 4c has a transverse 4 cylinder engine, not a longitudinal V6 :)

Bam, disqualified. :tongue:

Bam, disqualified. :tongue:

Darn! And I thought I stood a chance :cry3:

And to add injury to insult: the McPherson suspension uses 2 springs instead of 1 per wheel... :devil:

So back to the drawingboard then...

Hi,

The threat of disqualification spurred me into yet another series of rebuilds of this model (I'm now at version 16 of the digital model). I haven't tinkered around with a MOC for this long since it was my job to do so. My conservative estimate is that I would have had ~100 versions on my desk if I had build all the variants.

But I dare to say that I am ready now with the internal mechanisms & frames.

The gearselector is working (I don't dare to say 100% reliable, but at least it is recoverable from a between-gears-situation and it is way up in the nineties percentage-wise). It is now driven by an M-motor, so the servomotor can do the steering again. On the plus-side the M-motor can never get stuck (which did happen to previous versions with the servomotor). On the downside it is up to the operator to ensure only one gear is shifted, powering the motor longer will lead to extra gearshifts 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-etc. This obviously can be remedied with an Sbrick and a smart app...

I would like to thank everybody for their comments, questions and encouragement. And a special thanks to Jim for organizing this contest. It really adds that extra motivation to keep improving the car and its mechanisms beyond the point of just being a good-looking, but medium-performing car.

Here are the answers to the questions I hadn't answered yet:

@Epic Technic & Nicjasno: The engine is still a V4, that's the only one that fits in the space. Maybe with an Sbrick I could be able to squeeze in a transversal inline 4 cilinder, but than the engine-dimensions would be off quite a bit. So I will compromise on accuracy here.

@ darksheep: Instructions are in the planning.

@ PKW: I have some ideas for the remote tiggered by your comment... I'll see if I can get my third hand working

@ Leocorno: Top speed is not that high I'm afraid. I guess it is more like 2-3 km/hr

Here are the pictures of the model in its current state (the driver is a bit tired today :grin:):

16399780751_3312e5f4d3_c.jpg

16215302549_a8262e20cb_c.jpg

16399781221_516321814e_c.jpg

16375549406_432d888b60_c.jpg

I will make photo-instructions available for this after the contest is over. Until then any suggestions for further improvement of the looks, the lines or the colours are most welcome.

Looking at the real image, I think you've captured it very well. The air intakes, curvature and other details are instantly recognizable. Now I also understand where you got the idea of the partial orange seats :thumbup:

15779319914_541e590885_c.jpg