XAxles

Advanced Models 10248 Ferrari F40: Discussion Topic

Sorry, you can't compare a GTO to the F40 - the beast didn't even have door handles inside! It was basically a race car with the bare (and I mean bare) minimum add-ons to be considered street legal. The GTO was a regular car, with basically everything a luxury sports car of the time had, and it was designed from the street to the track, the opposite of how the F40 was conceived. But most importantly, it was sex on wheels both in looks and (for the era) performance. Yes, everyone and his cousin knows what a F40 is, but preciously few know what a GTO was. So if by iconic you're implying well known or famous, the F40 is definitively that. But as a special car, something ground-breaking, no. Ferrari cheated, it was in reality a race car, but was at the time without competition since basically what we know as "supercars" didn't exist.. But if you compare it to something of it's era, like a 959, with 4WD, AC, carpets (!!), electric windshields, etc, you'll see why I say Ferrari cheated. Like the GTO, very few know what a 959 was, but in my eyes it was much more supercar then the F40.

Being a classic car enthusiast I'm really happy that Lego is giving us a pretty decent F40 for the price, even though I don't think much of the real thing. I'm specially excited about the possibilities that the F40 brings: other iconic cars at this level of detail × price.

I'm surprised people are shocked/surprised/disappointed by the size of the F40. One only needs to look at previous large road-going Lego Ferrari cars to know only two possibilities were going to happen: The big Technic Enzo and 599GTB, and the 1:17ish scale brick built Enzo, F430's, FXX. Once the set number was released and it was known to be a Creator set, you knew the 1:17ish scale brick built was the answer. Lego probably felt they had to keep the size of the F40 similar to the Enzo, F430's, FXX to appease the Lego Ferrari collectors.

Set looks great overall, I will get it!

Edited by BimmerBoy

Though there are literally at least a hundred cars that could be considered to be an "iconic car", the problem is and always will be licensing. Therefor, it's far more likely that we'll see a GTO or a 911 then a GT40 or a DB5.

Not with that mindset. They've got a McLaren license (oh, I'd so kill for the MP4/4 F1 car with Ayrton Senna fig--printed helmet and torso, of course). Who knows, come 2016 we might get Mercedes-Benz (300SLR and the original Gullwing) or Audi (the quattro rally car I was talking about or the R8 LMP1 car), or Lamborghini's return to TLG (Miura or Countach).

I guess we can only hope for other cars from Ferrari or Porsche. Other brands will depend on whole new licenses. And XAxles cited Mclaren. Some pretty cool cars but the brand is too small, they usually produce cars in partnership with other manufacturers, like the MP4-29 that was made in conjunction with Mercedes. When you have a deal like that licensing gets WAY more complicated.

And XAxles cited Mclaren. Some pretty cool cars but the brand is too small, they usually produce cars in partnership with other manufacturers, like the MP4-29 that was made in conjunction with Mercedes. When you have a deal like that licensing gets WAY more complicated.

Powerplant is from another make, sure (Honda in Senna's heyday, BMW in the F1 road car), but that's about it. I think there's no problem with that. It's not like they still need to call up Honda or Bimmer and say: "Uh, yeah, this is The Lego Group and we wanna make the MP4/4 (or the F1) but the engine isn't theirs but yours. Can we get a license for that?" because it's understandable and I think either Honda or BMW can give it a pass, though it'd be strange if they do. Just put the appropriate stickers or printed parts with the brand on them. Edited by XAxles

Oh, but they do have to get EVERYONE'S approval :sceptic:. The only way not to is if they don't cite anywhere in words or images the other brand. For instance, the gorgeous Mercedes-Sauber C9, like this one:

c9m_1.jpg

For Lego to make it in brick form they have to get a licensing agreement with Mercedes and Sauber. In this particular case, they would also have to get approval of Michelin, Wurth, Castrol, etc. If merchandise with a brand's name on it generates income, then the brand owner is entitled to a piece of that income. There are many ways of doing this, like the "package deal" that Ferrari probably did with all the brands that show on the 458 Italia, but everything that shows has to be squared out.

A race car like that would be full of stickers across multiple parts :/

A race car like that would be full of stickers across multiple parts :/

But then, there's the regular old original Silver Arrows Sauber C9.

7b85d423045dacb79c0a48828e7cec24.jpg

Just make it shiny and chrome (or just shiny).

*Snip*

The Prototype, 288 GTO Evoluzione (the very first development F40 was first a 288 GTO evoluzione).

2118999_orig.jpg

There have been a few members talking about getting 2 or 3 of the F40 to make a standard, a F40-LM, and the above posted 288 GTO-Evoluzione (something that I too would like to do but doubt the Wife would agree to let me) . I personally think the 288 Evo looks stunning except for the nose, I'm not really sure what happened there, granted I know this was basically a test mule and style was second to function it still feels cheap and plain when you have that amazing rear from the 288 curves following it.

Has anyone laid the lego model next to a scale to see if it really is 'short'?

It appears to be in the video, but i'm not sure...

Did somebody try to build engine of F40?

I tryed. Don't look at rainbow parts its only prototype.

I have only one question, maybe someone can help me. How they attach cilinder block inside engine see last picture. For now its just holding inside by the plate 2x4 above it.

wzTdkyT.jpg

UfSIxJ8.jpg

McvpsFw.jpg

I'm guess that white 4x1 brick you have at the bottom will have a hole in it.

Probably yes. But i need to put technic pin inside? And this cilinder block holded inside in not very horizontal condition.

Sariel's got the review!

And from what I saw and heard, he finds it a fine set.

I wonder if the size of the car will be large enough to put in Power Functions? Even if it can't be motorized it is a really nice looking car.

Why not Gas Monkey Edition?

post-140788-0-53337000-1436519368_thumb.jpg

I think that the 911 will be the next car in this series (it's legendary, it's good-loking).

A McLaren F1 would be cool, too.

Does anyone know at what time VIP members can order from the Lego online store on the 15th?

Yes. It goes on sale to VIP members the 15th.

I wonder if the size of the car will be large enough to put in Power Functions? Even if it can't be motorized it is a really nice looking car.

I seriously doubt it. I held one this past weekend. The Lego Store had one built. They keep it in the back unless you asked about it, then they would bring it out and let you have a look.

The set is now on sale to VIP members for 84,99€ (in Italy)

Edited by Rikus