XAxles

Advanced Models 10248 Ferrari F40: Discussion Topic

Looks awesome. And you get like 8 revolvers on the engine! lol. Seeing a lot of negative feedback about this set online, but it's VIP early purchase for sure for me. $90 is a good deal, and after all, this is LEGO, if you don't like it modify it!

When I first heard about this becoming a set I was AWESOME!!!! Then With the first picture I was all MEH. After watching the video, now I'm like it pretty nice. I'm going to get it, but it needs some mods right away...

my numbers are coming in at 1:14 for width, height and rim/tire size. length though is about 1:16... looks like it needs a slight stretch to hit a fair scale to the VW camper which would leave only the Mini Cooper out of scale. and with that i'm sold on it, cant wait to own one :sweet: (maybe 2 if I can convince the wife)

While the scale is not consistent across the VW T1, Mini Cooper and Ferrari F40.

The price most certainly is.

And that's a good thing.

A F40 in 1:10 or 1:8 would have been awesome, But it's price would not be affordable.

I've watched the video, and my opinions have changed from a "cool" to an "awesome!" It is very well crafted and completely accurate and detailed as the real one. The removable engine and the ability to prop of the back using the stick is just ingenious. Too bad everything, except what was shown separately, seems to be a sticker. Even the 1x1 round tile with the Ferrari logo. :hmpf_bad:

But that is a very, very small flaw. What a good set. :classic::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Still hoping for that polybag though.

Hooray, your car has been revealed! :tongue:

Looks cool, I'm not that into cars and stuff though. I watched the video... what's up with the guy blinking? Morse code? :look:

Edited by CM4Sci

Hooray, your car has been revealed! :tongue:

Looks cool, I'm not that into cars and stuff though. I watched the video... what's up with the guy blinking? Morse code? :look:

I thought the same thing :) Maybe he was nervous or its a medical condition.

Until http://www.bricklink...=18973pb02&in=S it seems they never did printed parts with the Ferrari logo. Maybe due to the license then?

Perhaps, but it seems like a weird thing to have a licensing agreement about.

That is a good point Lego even have figs with stickers in 30196 which I would never expect to see in 2012. I love this and hate it at the same time. I love the way the doors, front and back open and don't mind not having steering as that would have been too hard given the fact it opens up. But and its a big but the stickers are an almost killer blow. The steering wheel, number plate and headlights are not printed which there is no reason for, all the Ferrari logos that make a set are stickers. In the video the main logo is off centre as the sticker does not fit the part. All the money seem to have gone on the windshield which is needed but I would have put up with different wheel if it meant all the parts could be printed. Also this is so close to being studless that the few studs there are bother me.

Will I buy it, I guess so but I wont be happy about it :grin:.

Edited by SMC

uhhrg, hello guys... yeah... sorry I took a nap and I guess I'm gonna go get cof--IS THAT THE DESIGNER VIDEO DAMN THAT'S THE WHOLE SHEBANG WHY DID YOU NOT BOTHER WAKING ME UP?!

Alright then, I'll weigh in:

1. Accurate. Those who think the actual F40 is ugly has to be excommunicated Nope I didn't say anything else. Carry on.
  2. I can't believe I'm looking at an F40 that costs just about $90. And that's with a new windscreen and hubcap part...
  3. the latter, I think, will be something MOCers will find useful.
  4. Those slope pieces are fairly controversial, however.
  5. It's got SIX-SHOOTERS FOR MANIFOLDS!!!
  6. While yes it sure does look small for 1158 pieces and the stickers scream cost-cutting and a rush-job to most, you gotta hand it to TLG for hitting the sweet, sweet spots in making this model. Or at least I think they got this one bang-on.
  7. Still, it's gonna be a day-one purchase for me... if I had the money (Disclaimer: I actually am very poor; I am from the Philippines and my family isn't that rich, but not too poor either. Worse, my aunt is still recovering from a stroke, so, yeah, I would end up renting this set using Pley first... if I can, of course).
  8. Overall, 8/10. It's a boss job, and while it isn't as impressive as even the Mini, take solace in the fact that TLG pulled it off and landed perfectly. It's accurate, it's highly-detailed, and, well, look at it. IT'S AN F40, DUDE. Only the McLaren F1 is even more legendary.

And with that, we go to the scary part: Waiting for a leak and Finding out whether or not we're getting either the Porsche 959 (which is pretty bland save for the interior) or the McLaren F1 (which is basically a God cars themselves worship and revere) next. And whether or not it can be better than even the CamperVan.

Edited by XAxles

Did anyone notize the new Creator Expert logo? It looks so much better than the previous one, I like it!

And what can I say ... the set is good, although I'm still angry about the amount of stickers - it's more than I anticipated :(

The set could have been a lot better imo, it simply doesn't look as good as the Mini Cooper or T1 Camper Van does, it's a shame

Also what's wrong with the box art? It looks gorgous (at least for me). It fits the style of the car perfect!

Edited by Emmi

OK, seriously, just what's gonna happen come double-points time with regards to this set?

All the money seem to have gone on the windshield which is needed but I would have put up with different wheel if it meant all the parts could be printed.

I prefer the accurate wheel hubcaps and stickers than regular wheels and printed parts; these wheels help for the overall look of the model.

I could have paid 10 € more for all-printed parts, but I guess that Lego estimated it was a better balance the way they did it.

The set could have been a lot better imo, it simply doesn't look as good as the Mini Cooper or T1 Camper Van does, it's a shame

I was quite disappointed by the Mini once I had in hand (the final result, I mean). The VW camper however was a good surprise.

^ Yeah I would have paid £10 more like you say and keep the wheels too.

Did anyone notize the new Creator Expert logo? It looks so much better than the previous one, I like it!

I saw that too, the Logo was subtle and clever very nice. as for the box art it reminds me of 80s/90s wall posters the kind the F40 itself would have adorned. (which I view as a good thing)

I saw that too, the Logo was subtle and clever very nice. as for the box art it reminds me of 80s/90s wall posters the kind the F40 itself would have adorned. (which I view as a good thing)

I'm not that big a fan. I actually liked the star from the Detective's Office more.

Thanks Emmi for pointing it out tho. :wink:

I was really hoping Lego would do the F40 justice and sadly this doesn't work for me. It looks very "kiddy" and the insane amount of stickers used is very disappointing.

Sticker issues aside, I totally agree. Doesn't do Ferrari justice. Maybe a larger scale using a larger piece count would have been successful. Outside of the Ferris wheel, it's been a tough year for me.

Wonder what the green 1x4's are for?

Anyone figure this out yet? Something related to displaying the engine, perhaps?

Also, not liking all of the stickers, they all seem to be small and will be very fidgety to apply, especially on the 1x2 slope part, four of which are highly visible on the front corners. Even the official images have the stickers on these parts not quite aligned with the brick-built black strip around the rest of the car, may just leave them off if I decide to get this set. Otherwise, its a winner for design and price point.

6029946.jpg

It's not that I have a problem with the model. I don't. For the small scale TLG actually did really well IMO. The problem is with the choice to go small in the first place. In my mind, you really can't sell an adult-themed model (which, let's not kid ourselves, it is. Our kids are not salivating over this car that was produced in the 80's and 90's) in such small scale. Offer me something that is really adult-sized or themed, like 2000 pieces or something, with a full technic chassis, drive train etc. and you will get my attention. I hear people raving about a set less than 100 dollars USD…..and although that is a good price why go cheap/small on something that is supposed to be epic??? This is not epic in my mind and therefore has little appeal to me…..

I wasnt that excited about the VW Van or Mini initially but ended up getting both and really enjoying the builds - cant wait for this one as Im sure its better than a video can do justice, definitely a buy for me

My big question, will there be a promo polybag to match like the previous mini and vw? I hope so

It's not that I have a problem with the model. I don't. For the small scale TLG actually did really well IMO. The problem is with the choice to go small in the first place. In my mind, you really can't sell an adult-themed model (which, let's not kid ourselves, it is. Our kids are not salivating over this car that was produced in the 80's and 90's) in such small scale. Offer me something that is really adult-sized or themed, like 2000 pieces or something, with a full technic chassis, drive train etc. and you will get my attention. I hear people raving about a set less than 100 dollars USD…..and although that is a good price why go cheap/small on something that is supposed to be epic??? This is not epic in my mind and therefore has little appeal to me…..

ok, granted it is smaller than you had wanted to see, when has Lego made a Creator/System car wider than 16wide? I ask because I honestly don't know of one, and its on that basis that this car is exactly the size I expected it to be. also in reference to the Camper Van, and Mini Cooper, those are already off scale to each other, so what made anyone think that the F40 would match either of their scales (which as I pointed out earlier that the F40 is actually at 1:14 same as the Camper in all dimensions except length which is 1:16) so for those wanting a car to match scale with previous Expert cars you basically did receive one. for those that wanted something bigger please point to something similar Lego has previously done.

Ok, with that said I’m fairly sure that had Lego done what you had hoped for I would be here jumping up and down in delight as I looked at a 24-28w F40 with full suspension, steering, technic chassis, and who knows what other amazing treats. And a piece count well over 2000. I’d pay virtually any price Lego could come up with for a well-designed F40 (in any scale)

Disclaimer: I am not a huge Ferrari fan and the F40 isn’t even near my top 20 cars of all time but it’s an automotive icon and as such I still love it

Side interest if anyone cares, top 3 cars all fighting for number one : Lamborghini Miura SV, Jaguar XJ13, and Pagani Huayra.

The 22 wide 10187 VW Beetle is the only Lego system brick build car that's wider then 16.

But that scale and build technique probably only really works for that car. (Anything else would not look right or be way too expensive.

Back to the F40.

Watched the designer video again and noticed a rather nice detail:

She got brake discs, front and back. (2x2 round tile with hole on an 2x2 round plate.)

On the topic of wheels though, The front rim insert should be less deep then it sits now on the model, And I really hope that could be fixed by placing a 1x1 round plate/stud or technic halve bush behind it. (Between the insert and what it connects to, It all depend on how it's connected though)

(P.S. Yes I do love them little details. :wink:)

Edited by Sato