XAxles

Advanced Models 10248 Ferrari F40: Discussion Topic

A hundred bucks for an impressive model built with 1158 pieces sure does rock, but I seriously looked for that dramatic Ferrari feel in the box art.

It may be intentionally boring because the target audience for this set is very wide, including A non-FOLs that might ignore the box if it had a bunch of "noise" on it (some things are more noticeable when they're simpler). Regardless, this set is awesome and I'm definitely getting it

Im not impressed looks like budget set to me, box art is awful, doesnt make any emotion...I rather wait for better photos to make final conclusion.

Not really bothered about the box art - the boxes end up in a cupboard in my house, never to be seen again! I agree that it looks a little dull, but I'd guess that's a preliminary box. Getting the stickers lined up on the corner of the front bumper might be a bit tricky. Looking forward to a better picture of the rear and the engine. that's my birthday present to myself sorted out :)

edit: can anyone make out the dimensions? 14 x 27 or 28?

Edited by will

The set seems nice, not as awesome as the T1 and the Cooper are, anyway.

I don't see any clear evidence of opening doors, but it's likely to have (in the first picture, the door is lightly unaligned with the rear).

The good is the engine seems to be very nice and we will have working retractable front lights (see the grey pins slightly visible on lights sides)!

It seems to be 1:17 scale... Almost same size of Racers FXX and Lambo

engine looks great. kinda underwhelmed with the pop-up headlights. need to see it "turned on" first. looking forward to the inside details!

Why lego cant stick with one scale for all creator cars.Camper van is about 1:14 , mini cooper 1:12 and this about 1:17.This made only mess in storage cabinet...

I was really hoping Lego would do the F40 justice and sadly this doesn't work for me. It looks very "kiddy" and the insane amount of stickers used is very disappointing.

the insane amount of stickers used is very disappointing.

I can't see that many stickers - a few Ferrari badges and 3 black stripes for each the front corners, and one over the rear wheel arches. No worse than the speed champions sets. Will have to wait for better pictures though. Getting the smooth curves required was never going to be easy, but I like it.

Let's just wait for the Designer video. Some D2C sets that were once considered "still-on-the-fence" ones eventually became winners when the Design clips dropped.

Edited by XAxles

The set looks quite decent to me. Not a "run out on day one" purchase for me, but it will be a purchase nonetheless. Maybe on my birthday in August perhaps :grin: . It seems to be in the same sort of scale as the Racers Lamborghinis and Ferraris that I have, so it should display well with them (maybe I should pick up the old FXX too - I mean I already have the Enzo, 430 Spider and both Lamborghinis). Sadly, thiis is going to be £75 (going by Mini Cooper pricing), so that's already 33% more expensive than any of the similar scale Racers models.

Though I will be honest, I agree with whoever is annoyed with the varying scales of the Creator Expert cars. There is no way I can put the F40 on the same shelf as my Mini Cooper, so the Mini will probably have to be moved to another shelf. LEGO should really pick one scale and stick with it so the cars are in scale with each other and can be displayed together without looking strange.

I don't get all the hate for the box, its ok and not that important. I think it looks really good but to be great it needs working parts like opening doors and steering which Lego don't seem to like to brother with any more (I'm looking at you tumbler, which doesn't do anything other that the wheels do turn I guess). Why cant they print just the Ferrari badges at least? I am thinking I will pick this up but want to see more first. Also we have to get a polybag mini car, it might even make me pick it up asap.

Those wheels. THOSE. WHEELS. and that (new?!) windshield. THAT. WINDSHIELD. and most especially... THAT ENGINE!!! For $100/€90 it's quite a steal.

But man that box art is Nissan Altima-level bland.

Quite a good thing that the bigger NACA ducts are brick-built, too. And the rear louvers are fantabulous.

Yep, the windshield is a brand new piece, and it's printed on the sides.

Funny, but that windshield is what will probably make me buy this set. If it didn't have a windshield I don't think I would - I absolutely h-a-t-e when a car comes without a windshield (unless it's a Technic model).

And about the scale, is that really 1:17? Like instruction books, Lego also can't make cars in an uniform scale? :angry:

Yep, the windshield is a brand new piece, and it's printed on the sides.

That is a very good thing and hope to see more of the same, even though I dont but star wars sets that x wing with the large cockpit sticking still wakes me up in cold sweats :grin: .

Looking again the Ferrari badges dont look like stickers well at the least the one on the front doesnt, the ones that are clearly stickers are just the black strip on the front cerved parts.

@Ondra -agreed. Not a fan. Looks more like a kid's set than an adults..... and may even have been built more with kids in mind than we realize. I easily would have paid $2-300 dollars for a 1:12, 2,000 piece set with more technic elements and functionality. Although rumors hinted that it would not be so, this to me is still just too underwhelming. People have to realize that small sizes are likely to look bricky or pixelated, and that is exactly what I think it is. Too small, too blocky, too pixelated. That's okay, looks like this summer was really going to take a shot at the ol' wallet..... but now not so much.

Edited by nerdsforprez

Nerdsforprez-Maybe it will sound crazy but best reendition of licensed car set for this year is Technic Mercedes-Benz Arocs.

I probably take all my money and buy that astonishing truck, I dont have mini cooper but if they dont continue with models in same scale Im not interested anymore...I have camper van and 4896 http://brickset.com/...aring-Roadsters they look good together.4896 and F40 will not look together alsoF40 with Mini cooper because MC and F40 use same wheels and tires :wacko: ...

It looks a bit blocky, but I'm sold. I think it did the car justice for the scale it was supposed to be in. I want it :wub:

Edit: Its also on Jalopnik http://lego.gizmodo.com/legos-gorgeous-new-ferrari-f40-even-has-a-removable-v8-1713858670

It says it'll be 90 dollars which is a great value for over 1000 pieces and a ferrari license

Edited by Rishab N