Here's another little thing from me :]

Set Name: Shadow Troopers

Set #: 75079

Theme: Star Wars

Pieces: 95

Minifigures: 4

Year of Release: 2015

MSRP: USD $12.99

So... I went to the SMYK store again ;) found this set there so I just HAD to grab it. Also not really a bargain but I didn't care ;)

Box/Instructions

Standard, small box. I think it's the same size as for all the battle packs. The same with instructions. Nothing of interest here.

DSC_0271s.jpgDSC_0270s.jpg

DSC_0273s.jpg

Parts

Set contains 95 pieces. There are two bags - one bigger one smaller. There's quite a lot of transparent red parts here. I don't think there are any unusual pieces here. We do get the beloved (by everyone ;) blasters here. Also set includes additional 8 "bullets" :]

DSC_0272s.jpgDSC_0274s.jpgDSC_0279s.jpg

Minifigures

I guess this is the main reason to buy the battle packs. Here we have 4 figures, all exclusive to this set. We're getting 2x Shadow Trooper and 2x Shadow Guards. They both look really nice. The coloring on the Shadow Troopers is very neatly done. It's somewhere along the dark-gray print on a black pody piece? It looks pretty neat + the helmets are totally awesome. The Shadow Guards look OK. They don't have faces, so the heads are one big red brick. They also don't have any printing on the back. As much as the characters are very interesting... the figures don't do them justice in my opinion.

DSC_0290s.jpgDSC_0291s.jpgDSC_0292s.jpg

DSC_0293s.jpgDSC_0294s.jpg

The build

Well, the set is really small so the build took about 5 minutes. The vehicle tho is actually REALLY nice. I thought that this set would interest me more in terms of minifigs, but the speeder or whatever it is, is actually very neat as well. I really like how they did the front and the back of it. It can carry two minifigs and has two missiles.

DSC_0281s.jpgDSC_0282s.jpgDSC_0284s.jpg

The competed model

Not much to say here... just a small photo :)

DSC_0295s.jpg

Overall opinion

Small but very satisfying. As much as I don't care for battle packs I do care about the Empire! ;) Having interesting minifigs + as it turns out a very cool speeder. This set was not only a "meh" buy for me. Because of it's price, I'd say don't hesitate.

Minifigures: 8/10 - Shadow Troopers are really cool. The Shadow Guards tho are a bit "meh".

Parts: 6/10

Build: 6/10

Price: 10/10

Design: 10/10

Playability: 9/10

Overall: 49/60 = 82%

P.S.

I'm sorry for the dark pictures. I decided to buy a "no-shadow-tent" or whatever you call it in english tomorrow so maybe I'll have some better pictures soon.

Looks cool, interesting.

I'm not into Star Wars sets, but I'm tempted by this. Will it be an exclusive set, or available everywhere?

Looks cool, interesting.

I'm not into Star Wars sets, but I'm tempted by this. Will it be an exclusive set, or available everywhere?

It's a battle pack, so it'll be available everywhere.

There is just something about 'dark shadowy empire bad guys' that gets me wanting them... and these are no exception.

Are the shadow troopers helmets a really really dark gray, or black? They look kinda dark grey and yet with dark gray printing while the bodies are black with dark gray printing?

That speeder looks a pretty decent build too, one that I won't mind spending the time to build quickly rather than just keep aside for spare parts like the 75001 sith speeder...

Those shadow guard... I wonder how they'd look with http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3626bpb0330 in place of their solid red head....

Some of the best imperial troops lego has made. I can't wait to pick up a couple of these packs.

I got to agree Fuppy, the shadow guards would look better with a trans red head.

Edited by joebiwankenobi

Are the shadow troopers helmets a really really dark gray, or black? They look kinda dark grey and yet with dark gray printing while the bodies are black with dark gray printing?

I looked at the minifigs closly again and it's not dark gray printing on black body. It's all dark-gray / dark-silver-gray! both the helmets & the body!!

I looked at the minifigs closly again and it's not dark gray printing on black body. It's all dark-gray / dark-silver-gray! both the helmets & the body!!

:sweet:

I don't know why... but they just look really menacing, and I love the dark feeling they try and show through the design of them. I think they are doing 'dark troopers' really well. The Sith troopers were excellent (imo) and now these! :wub:

Great review, looking foward to it. That said I still don't get why after all these years and after re doing every other helmet, why they haven't updated the imperial guard mold to get rid of the need of a blank head either with paint or do what they did with the Inquisitor's helm with the trans red and black plastic combo.

Yep - thanks for the review and great end photo's. I will have to get 4 packs as I love to get 8 troopers of the same type together (so they have friends to hang with). I have a full large base plate with 50 odd stormies (8 original leg print ones and 8 of the original shadow troopers), 8 new scout troopers and 8 tie pilots etc. These guys (both of them) will really add to my rather basic version of the inspection.

Will I dilute it all though with new rebel stormies???

Thanks for the early look at this set! I'm really starting to like this set, the only problem I have is that I think the shadow Stormies would look better black instead of grey...

I thought the original "Shadow Troopers" came in black. Why make them "gray"? I am thinking the "Shadow Guard" might be more popular.

I thought the original "Shadow Troopers" came in black. Why make them "gray"? I am thinking the "Shadow Guard" might be more popular.

"Given the troopers appearance in The Force Unleashed and their portrayal by Hasbro, the troopers armor can be surmised as not being black-colored like shadow stormtrooper armor."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Trooper

also:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_shadow_trooper

seem to be gray ;]

I missed the first shadow trooper fig so picking this set up is a must for me! I'm not sure where the color changed imperial guards come from, force unleashed maybe?

I missed the first shadow trooper fig so picking this set up is a must for me! I'm not sure where the color changed imperial guards come from, force unleashed maybe?

Yes, they're from Force Unleashed. :wink:

I have this amazing battle pack, and the best way to describe its color is pearl dark gray ( comparing with the coin in Lego friends)

Picked up two copies of this set a couple days ago. I love the black royal guards, but I think the highlighting on the stormtrooper's helmet is a bit too strong. In hand, the lighter grey over the face portion almost looks like a printing error.

It may be based on force unleashed version.

WMFU00412_zps4f9b45fc.jpg

I may alter the face to sth like this. But first need to know what kind of grey it is. :sadnew:

_57_zpsbd787b2b.jpg

may be this :)

_572_zps9fc85cbf.jpg

Edited by wilson3a10

Thanks for the review kr-lik!

I thought I would prefer the Shadow Guards, but I actually prefer the look of troopers. The guards just don't seem to have enough detail, especially considering they only have plain red heads and the new Iron Legion Drones from Avengers have awesome trans printed heads.

Still, I'll get two of this pack, although I still want to know what they look like next to the Inquisitor...

Thanks for the review! This set looks great and the Shadow Troopers are fantastic. They are clearly gunmetal grey, which is basically dark pearl silver, a color very commonly used in constraction sets like Hero Factory and Bionicle.