1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5:

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Great review, really enjoyed it.

I guess you have a cat in your house?

Thank you! Yes, three in fact. Their hairs always manage to get into my shots somehow. :hmpf_bad:

This set is fantastic! I will be stopping by the Lego store to pick this up since its backordered online.

Thank you! Yes, three in fact. Their hairs always manage to get into my shots somehow. :hmpf_bad:

Cats are good. Have 2 myself, 3 is even better. :)

That was literally the best review of the Detective's Office. I really enjoy how you showed the extra parts/pieces. I also enjoy the story of the lady in red and the detective in black-and-white. Keep up the good work!

Cats are good. Have 2 myself, 3 is even better. :)

Yes. LEGO cats are amazing. My friend has something like 42. I only have 2, but I am hoping to buy the Detective's Office and get a standing one(Jasper, Fluffy, Fluffy Jr, Fluffy Sr, Jeff). Yay! Cats from The LEGO Movie!

Thanks for the great review, Oky! I got this set a few days ago for my birthday (it was completely unexpected) and it's an amazing build!

This is my favorite modular--not only because it's my first one, but also because it's helped re-start my creative drive. I haven't MOCed much since my daughter was born a year and a half ago, but this set already has me designing my next MOC: a modular Chinese restaurant to go next door! The story of the set certainly helps. It's so great!

Hey guys, new member. Struggling whether to get the parisian restaurant, town hall, or cinema this weekend (going to legoland). Im leaning towards the town hall (if i can find it) due to it being the oldest, but i love the parisian restaurant by far the most. Advice?

Hey guys, new member. Struggling whether to get the parisian restaurant, town hall, or cinema this weekend (going to legoland). Im leaning towards the town hall (if i can find it) due to it being the oldest, but i love the parisian restaurant by far the most. Advice?

If you can find the TH, grab it! Otherwise get the PC as it is rumored to be going out of stock. The PR is the only one you mention that should be around for a bit longer.

well i finally bought/built my DO last night....

the most scandalous modular to date:

-total part count manipulation: many places where tonnes of smaller parts were used in lieu of a larger part.

-incompleteness of the wall/roof of the hotel on the ground floor

-cheapness of colour combination, parts of the build were poorly executed.

- massive reduction in size. i placed it next to every other modular one at a time last night, it's freaking tiny compared to them... (except the PR of course)

I have bought 2 copies of this set, and i will use some of the parts from the second set to 'complete' this set (IMO) properly.

This modular is nothing more than a large Lego City/Creator house set.

It's not all bad, I like how they executed some of the builds, such as the water tank, the roof, the ground floor hotel. I feel that the blue side was an attempt to pay hommage to Market Street with it's tones of blue.

the blue part of the building is childish, the brown side is too small.

I love the modulars, i have everyone of them to date, I always buy two if i can... but if the quality does not improve on the next release, I think my days of buying them are over. I was not a big fan of the PR, and I'd say this one sits equally at the bottom in order of like/dislike.

Gen 2 Modulars.......... :hmpf_bad::cry_sad::angry:

You keep saying 'hotel' and I have no clue what you're talking about. There's a pool hall, Detective's office, barber shop, public restroom and a kitchen. Don't know why you keep saying hotel....

And as as far as comparison to the PR, I couldn't disagree more. I think the PR blows away most modulars and is widely considered one of the best.

You keep saying 'hotel' and I have no clue what you're talking about. There's a pool hall, Detective's office, barber shop, public restroom and a kitchen. Don't know why you keep saying hotel....

And as as far as comparison to the PR, I couldn't disagree more. I think the PR blows away most modulars and is widely considered one of the best.

Hotel = pool hall

Isnt it wonderful we have the ability, right and forum to input differences of thoughts and views? Im not asking for anyone to agree, Im sharing my experiences, as you did as well.

Ahhhh, okay sorry about that. Makes sense. Gotta get used to vernacular from the other side of the pond.

Yeah, agree to disagree. It's certainly not my favorite (that would be Parisian) but it's definitely solid. I'm really hoping Jamie does the next modular and we (finally) get a bank. Preferably on a corner.

For everyvbody who noticed the color variation on the medium blue bricks (1x3 being more yellowish than 1x2 and 1x4), I contacted Lego about it. I didn't directly request it, but they sent me replacement parts for all 1x3 bricks anyway. But as I suspected, the replacement parts were no better. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by bjorn77

For everyvbody who noticed the color variation on the medium blue bricks (1x3 being more yellowish than 1x2 and 1x4), I contacted Lego about it. I didn't directly request it, but they sent me replacement parts for all 1x3 bricks anyway. But as I suspected, the replacement parts were no better. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for sharing.. i did not have the intention to complain about this, but now it even makes less sense for complaining..

First off great review! I love the B&W schema. It's fits perfectly for the set.

I ordered this from Target, and it should be on the way to my house as we speak. I am hoping I get it before the weekend. Should be a fun build to do.

I just wonder how my 6 year old son will do with this set. I find the pieces and he builds. So far he has built all of this years creator sets, so I hope he can build this as well. If not, I will be happy to chip in. :grin:

Great review! Just built the set - it is a very clever build and it makes you appreciate the background story. Love the attention to all the interior details and the colours are lovely. To me this is the second best modular so far (after Parisian Restaurant).

Can Town Hall still be found in the wild? From what I understand all the stores are sold out of it. I know that is my sons most wanted set. He wants to build it to show to MiMi (Grandma). She worked in public office at Town Hall all her life, so he thought it would be cool to build it for her. I saw the EBay asking price and said, eh, no.

My son and I finally completed this build this morning. I let him do all the building and help where needed so this took us about 12 hours or so. This is our first modular, and I have to say, it was a great experience building this set. I am not sure if I was influenced by the designer video and all, but when building this set, I could see all the stories come to life. The best comparison I could make, is that building this set was like reading a good book. Each component and each bag has it's own little story. From the friends playing pool. To Al, the cookie runner cutting the hair of a cop who has no idea about what is going on. To the detective agency, with a love afair happening? Possibly? Finally, the cook house. With that no good cat about ready to eat the merchandise. All great stuff. The thing is, I know that sparked more then my imagination, it sparked my sons as well. He would stop building and say, "Daddy, I am gonna smuggle me some cookies!". "Daddy, you think these two are married?". "Look at that cat, she is saying, 'I WANT THOSE COOKIES'". So a great set.

Sure it maybe small and adult hands don't fit too well, but the highlights of the fan, the mirror and the water tower are great.

BTW, does anyone else have a problem with the mirror staying put? Ours keeps tilting forward. I looked at the instructions multiple times, and I don't think we built anything incorrectly.

Hi Alucard1977! I'm glad you liked the review and that you enjoyed building this set with your son. There is far too much hate for this set in my opinion, so it's good to hear when people enjoyed it as much as I did.

And no, I don't think you did anything wrong. The mirror does indeed sit fairly loose in its frame and mine tilts down too. Which is not really a bad thing as it allows the minifigs to see themselves better. :classic:

I agree, I saw some hate around this set and wondered why. Sure the set is tight. But I actually appreciate all that it does.

Granted I haven't built the pet shop, but the pet shop looks to be just as tight as this is. So I am not sure why this would get hate and that wouldn't. From my transformers collecting, all I know is, sometimes things get more respect once they are retired. Maybe the same thing will happen here.

But I am by no means an expert on these. We only did one. I think I can judge this set in comparison once we build the other 6 sets. (I was lucky enough to find everything but the GG, CC, and MS). All I know is that the build was very enjoyable.

From my transformers collecting, all I know is, sometimes things get more respect once they are retired. Maybe the same thing will happen here

When the Pet Shop first came out, I remember everyone talking about how much of a disappointment it was--how it didn't fit the style of the earlier modulars at all, how it was nothing more than a glorified Creator house set, etc. And now, most people seem to love it! Maybe the DO will undergo the same fate in a few years.

I just ordered one of these - it'll be my first modular building. I feel like the masonry blocks add a touch of detail that's very difficult to get otherwise (not many ways to get a similar texture in the same amount of space) - they're prone to overuse but using them in tight, controlled sections like seen here really pulls everything together. If anything I want to use this set as a way to set the standard for the level of detail I'll be putting into my other buildings, similar to how I went and got a Gunpla model in order to build a better Lego Gundam.

Of course, now that'll mean I'll get sucked into modulars too - I already got hooked on Gunpla with just that one model (I now have three...)

Me and my son are building the Petshop now. After building that the only thing I wish they did with this set is build it on 2 16 stud plates like they did there.

Other then that, since this build we also did the Grand Emporium and the Petshop. This build is the best.

The way they tell the story is brilliant and works really well with the time one gives to the build. I hope Lego continues to tell little stories per room in the future modular buildings they do. It adds more to the build experience. Just makes it whole in my opinion.