How do you rate this set?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5:

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Great review! Finished this yesterday. I noticed that all of the 1x1 black round plates were the new version with the hole through them. Even though they were only needed in a couple of places, like with the outside lights and with the tile piece on top, it was interesting that there were none of the regular versions since you didn't necessarily need this particular one for the doorknob, etc. Fun set and enjoyed the build.

Great review! Finished this yesterday. I noticed that all of the 1x1 black round plates were the new version with the hole through them. Even though they were only needed in a couple of places, like with the outside lights and with the tile piece on top, it was interesting that there were none of the regular versions since you didn't necessarily need this particular one for the doorknob, etc. Fun set and enjoyed the build.

I noticed that too, all of them. To avoid confusion maybe... I was also thinking about another detail...for me, an interior light should be a trans clear color, yet, all the interior lights have a yellow trans part used. Maybe in LegoLand there are bug problems, so they use bug lights inside? Hahaha,...

I just built this set as well and i must say while the interior is not bad, the overall building somewhat looks underwhelming when i place it next to other modulars.

I wasnt as excited or impressed as i thought i would be...

Interesting. I just finished the 1st floor and I had none of the new 1x1 black round plates.

Great review. I was on the fence originaly but now I have to buy it someday. Probably after a while since i just bought the petshop 3 days ago but, it will be my nect modular probably

Me too, I was wondering if I missed a page to fill in the upper part of the wall between the pool hall and the steps area between the two buildings...maybe its to make it less confining when playing with it?

Now that I am sitting and looking at the finished product, the angle from the rear is a real mishmash of different colors...LOL I still want to add on to it, and make the pool hall larger with a bar and a table or two..

An extension could mean a further purchase..... What a shame that would be! ;)

Great review! I just finished building the DO. The interior details are excellent, particularly the inside of the pool hall and detective's office. I love the working ceiling fan and the detective's cluttered desk.

Overall I'm not so happy with the exterior. Realism was sacrificed for unnecessary play features. It really bothers me that the buildings are connected by a shared fire escape and a fake background building (the brown part). Feels too much like a movie set. I like the idea of smaller buildings and loved the Pet Shop/Townhouse, but the overall scale of the DO looks off to me compared to other modulars.

Edited by eliza

I had one 1x1 round plate without a hole and all the rest had the holes.

Having now built the DO I think that the detail is excellent and I really enjoyed the build. The size is fine and I think some people are being over critical. I have my large modulars together (TH, GE and cinema) and the smaller one's together (DO and PS) and they all look fine.

Overall I reaaly like the set and am very glad I bought it.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

There are two reasons why they do that. One is as said, to minimize the possible confusion of hard to differentiate parts in similar colors. (If you want an example of how frustrating it can be to not do that in design, look at some of Megabloks most recent offerings and understand why a few of them are recommended 16+. It's because this sort of thing would enrage younger builders).

The second reason has to do with how sets are packaged. Each bag is filled automatically via a number of stations on the production line. Each specific part type used in the set occupies one station. By combining similar part needs to a single common element they reduce one of the production stations needed or free it up for something else.

Excellent review! I'd really like to buy 2 or 3 of these, but given I've just started collecting modulars, one will have to suffice for now... (lucky I have smaller girl-hands though!)

(LEGO.com USA---Out of stock--expected by 15th jan. 2015)

Looks like it is moving soo fast or LEGO did make few sets!!!

Lets see

This would seem to lend itself very nicely to expansion. A duplicate second floor would do wonders for it and it doesn't seem hard to push the wall of The Highlander out to add a bar. All in all a nice set with a great feel, which you captured perfectly in your review.

Oky, thanks a lot for your detailed and entertaining review, I enjoyed it very much!

I, too, own the set and my troubles are 1) they sacrificed way too much architectural detail for playability and 2) I don't like the new glued instruction book too much. I really do like the set by itself as a big film noir fan, plus my kids will love the whole detective/smuggling part. But I'm having a hard time seeing the DO as a part of the modular line next to GG, PR, FB or GE or even TH. Ignoring the number of parts it seems more aimed at children than at AFOLs.

I love the perfect binding of the instructions. Makes it so much more precious. But I am biased, being a print media journalist and therefore a magazine guy. :wink:

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone! :sweet:

Honestly, I think some of you are being too critical of this set. Comparing it to other sets like the GG is not really fair. When you look back at the GG, it looked impressive on the outside, but the inside was quite empty. Modulars have come a long way since then. They have been getting more and more detailed on the interior in recent years, and as a result, the size of the buildings has decreased a little. Therefore, even though they have similar amounts of parts, I don't think it's right to say one is better than the other. They are just designed differently, so whether or not the DO appeals to you depends on what you prefer, a large exterior or an overall detailed building. I for one prefer the latter, which is why I like the DO so much.

I also don't think that the DO was really meant to be in the same class as previous sets. This is not a grandiose building such as the Grand Emporium or Palace Cinema. It's just an apartment building, so it makes sense that it would be smaller than those. Besides, a modular town wouldn't look very interesting or realistic if all the buildings were the same size.

It's only an opinion and perhaps it's not definetely correct, but I think that modulars are each time a little more pricey... :look:

Even if the total count of parts can be considered in the same range, their size is decreasing more and more... Maybe the right parameter to consider will be the weight of ABS instead of the part count... The last two modulars - PR and DO - in facts are very smaller than prior units as GG, GE, PS and so on... :cry_sad:

What do you think? :blush:

I disagree. I think your claim that they are getting more pricey may be a misconception due to the shrinking size of the modulars. As I pointed out above, they are getting more detailed on the inside, and all those little pieces take up more plastic than large exterior bricks like the GG had, so I think the price is still justified.

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the colors of the five "pool balls" match the stripes on the retro LEGO logo from the '60s. Coincidence?

Interesting observation! I'd say it's probably coincidence though.

I am not that happy with all the traditional small instruction booklets being combined into one thick booklet. It is harder to lay flat, without mashing it down. Its obvious it was printed to be separate parts and then combined into a single one. As you go through the sections, you flip the page to an advertisement page, which would of been the back cover if it was printed as separate booklets. Cost cutting I guess.

Yeah, that also explains why the step numbering resets after each advertisement page. I didn't mind it though. I don't like having so many booklets for one set lying around.

It's interesting to read that you had a ripped bag, I did as well(bags 3, however). But, you fared better than I, the dark grey 8x14 plate used on the floor of Brickmans office was bent pretty severely, so much so that the plastic was white & partially broken at the bend.

Hm, that is disconcerting, but I'm sure TLG will replace you any missing or damaged parts.

That story was worth the admission by itself!

Wait - I could have charged admission for this?! *oh2*:wall:

:laugh:

Having built the set I'm slightly confused by the 'open to the elements' area at the top of the pool hall's interior

That part is indeed a bit odd, but I didn't mention it in my review because it doesn't bother me since you can't see it when the building is put together. I guess it's to access the interior better.

I'm really curious about the mirror part, and this new light blue colour.

It's not really a new color, although some of the bricks in this set come in that color for the first time. According to Brickset, this color is called light royal blue.

I noticed that all of the 1x1 black round plates were the new version with the hole through them. Even though they were only needed in a couple of places, like with the outside lights and with the tile piece on top, it was interesting that there were none of the regular versions since you didn't necessarily need this particular one for the doorknob, etc.

As others have pointed out, not all of them are that kind. The ones in the pool hall (bags numbered 1) are the old kind and are used as the 8-ball and doorknobs. The reasons why the other floors have the holed kind are probably the ones Faefrost mentioned.

^^I thought all the 1x1 black round plate parts were with the hole, but going through my leftover pieces, I did find one solid, so I agree, there are some of each in the set. I have 3 leftover with the hole. I need to organize my parts differently, so I don't mix them up!

This is my favourite LEGO collection, and I always look forward tremendously to these sets.

It's a very nice set, but somehow the colour scheme slightly rubs me the wrong way. I haven't built it yet, but at least for now this one does not match up to Green Grocer. Still, it's in the top half of the batting order.

Thanks for the review - it was enjoyable.

The review is great, the set - not so much. It actually convinced me to buy Pet Shop instead.

Definitely too pricey for what it is. Too small, too light (lots of small bits), unnecessary waste of space and other resources for the barrel thing and that ugly sides.

I will only buy a "post-exposition"/damaged box copy or similar to cut costs. It's not worth the full price.

I think it is fair to compare it to GG and other modulars. Why should we not? It's supposed to be one of them!

Great review. I'm going to purchase a new modular building soon... Would you recommend this over the Parisian Resturant?

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

The review is great, the set - not so much. It actually convinced me to buy Pet Shop instead.

Definitely too pricey for what it is. Too small, too light (lots of small bits), unnecessary waste of space and other resources for the barrel thing and that ugly sides.

I will only buy a "post-exposition"/damaged box copy or similar to cut costs. It's not worth the full price.

I think it is fair to compare it to GG and other modulars. Why should we not? It's supposed to be one of them!

I have already stated my reasons. This set was designed to have well-crafted interior details and play features rather than just a big, pretty facade. If you think that's a "waste of space", then the set was obviously not designed for you. To me, the Pet Shop and GG are the ones that are wasting space with all those empty rooms. To each their own I guess. :classic:

Great review. I'm going to purchase a new modular building soon... Would you recommend this over the Parisian Resturant?

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're into romantic scenes and want your street to have a European feel, go for the Parisian Restaurant. If you're into film noir and want your street to have an American feel, go for the Detective's Office. The Parisian Restaurant has more pieces, but I think that's just because it has a lot of small bits like tiles and flowers and such. They are both around the same size and have about the same amount of detail (although the DO has a lot more play features), so it all depends on what you're looking for in a modular building.