Note that even 2005 was only in some markets. The weird villains in one part of the world and heroes in the other that year was the only reason this happened.

True, but if 2005 had started with the Visorak then you'd have had the same problem in 2004. But in general, it's something the LEGO Group tries to avoid. There's no reason they'd want to be in a position where kids can't buy the theme's main characters, and since Toa-sized sets tend to have about a year-long shelf life, that's basically what not having any "good guys" in the first half of 2016 would amount to.

This is why 2006 (my favorite year) worked so well. You had Matoran vs Piraka in the winter and then the Inika arrived in the summer, along with Brutaka and Axonn (and Vexon). The story weaved so perfectly with the sets.

Edited by Zorglorfian

People seem to be forgetting the playtester "info". The person said something along the lines of six smaller sets. Those could easily be protagonists, plus the rumored Ekimu. Of course this is all considering that the rumors are legit. Personally I don't want the Toa, or new larger protagonists in the winter wave next year. The way it was this year didn't set all too well with me having 12-1 heroes/villains with only the Skull Spiders as an appetizer. Besides, what's keeping them from continuing to produce this year's winter wave into next year? That's all based on HF's system. I remember years ago the production of sets could span 1-2 additional years. Although I don't keep track of system anymore so maybe they changed the production schedule completely, I have no idea.

the playtester guy never said there were six smaller sets there, he said he saw the small green one and guessed that there must be five others - which is apparently inaccurate according to the list of sets.

^Ekimu wasn't listed yet the playtester claimed he was a set, I thought? And why would there be only six sets in the first wave next year? Seems odd.

Edit: Mask Hunter sounds like it could be an Ekimu set, my bad. x_x

Edited by MakutaOfWar

Personally I've always preferred a hero wave and a villain wave instead of two waves of mixed hero and villain, but it's personal preference.

With that said, I don't really care what order said waves are released in a year, but I will say that i would be much more open to getting another wave of villains- I don't particularly like much at all of the 2015 villains and I already adore the designs of the current Toa, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to have a rehash thrown in my face just yet.

the playtester guy never said there were six smaller sets there, he said he saw the small green one and guessed that there must be five others - which is apparently inaccurate according to the list of sets.

I'm still going to hazard that there is nothing accurate in either rumor.

I seriously doubt the veracity of these "leaks;" furthermore, I'd be disappointed if the next wave was ghost-themed. One wave of undead warriors is enough for me--and if Lego is trying to recapture some of the feel of early Bionicle, several horror-themed waves doesn't seem to make sense to me. It would be a pretty stark contrast to the tribal, mystical/mechanical feel that the first few years of G1 had. I know that they're not trying to replicate it exactly, of course, but several waves of ghosts and skeletons would be even more unlike those first three years than the later years were (stylistically, at the very least).

I seriously doubt the veracity of these "leaks;" furthermore, I'd be disappointed if the next wave was ghost-themed. One wave of undead warriors is enough for me--and if Lego is trying to recapture some of the feel of early Bionicle, several horror-themed waves doesn't seem to make sense to me. It would be a pretty stark contrast to the tribal, mystical/mechanical feel that the first few years of G1 had. I know that they're not trying to replicate it exactly, of course, but several waves of ghosts and skeletons would be even more unlike those first three years than the later years were (stylistically, at the very least).

I suppose its a way of developing an easy constant theme though;

Bionicle Gen 2 being the good guy Toa with the powerful magic masks vs the evil dark undead beings controlled by the evil magic of Makuta...

Its very basic, but after all that is what they want the story to appear on the surface, even though books and other media may help to develop it.

On another note, I was just looking at the high-def image of MMvSG, and noticed that Ekimu has not two... but three small gears under his armpit? Is the hammer really that heavy?

I think Lego overcompensate for the weight on some of the sets, such as the stiffness of the arm ratchet on Onua. Two probably could surfice, but they went with three to be sure.

On another note, I was just looking at the high-def image of MMvSG, and noticed that Ekimu has not two... but three small gears under his armpit? Is the hammer really that heavy?

So I own this set (Germany, yeah xD) and I can say two gears are absolutely fine, but u need to reuse the third one for Skull Grinder because his staff is much too heavy for only two small gears. =D

I tried to do his replica some time ago, and, yes, he needs these gears.

From the pics it seems you have the 'floating pin' issue that has plagued a few of the new sets, where the pin doesnt stay in properly and thus each subsequent turn loosens it moving it further out as shown in your pic here. The gear should be close to the gearbox like the rest, instead its moved out so less of the gear is actually causing friction. Its shown to be an issue in all your pics, not saying that it definitely would'nt need the third gear, just saying that in this case having a loose pin would give more reason for it needing a third gear.

So I own this set (Germany, yeah xD) and I can say two gears are absolutely fine, but u need to reuse the third one for Skull Grinder because his staff is much too heavy for only two small gears. =D

If you own Scorpio (And if instructions are available or you can work from the image) can you try doing the combo model? :3

Edited by Scarilian

From the pics it seems you have the 'floating pin' issue that has plagued a few of the new sets, where the pin doesnt stay in properly and thus each subsequent turn loosens it moving it further out as shown in your pic here.

Yeah I'm having an issue with Kopaka's gearbox, for some reason none of the pin holes will hold the friction/pin in that the small gear is attached to, two swings and the gear is completely useless in stabilizing the weight of Kopaka's arm. I just rebuilt the design with a different type of connection using an axle with a stopper, but still it's annoying.

If you own Scorpio (And if instructions are available or you can work from the image) can you try doing the combo model? :3

When I got Scorpio, I will do this =)

But this will take a while, I guess I will get him in mid-July xD

(Someone embed it in the post for me please so people dont miss it?) :3

Also, thoughts based on the commercial;

• Skull Scorpio just doesn't exist at all, not even shown in the advert NOR at the end of the advert when the products are shown. WOW, that is seriously Lego just wiping him from existence xD
  • Skull Grinder's powered up mode is just for the sake of a combiner, a combiner that isn't even demonstrated here in a position where it could have been shown off.
  • The Skull Villains are all defeated the instance Skull Grinder is defeated, implying in the advert, that they only remain functional when Grinder wears the Mask Of Creation
  • Wonder if Ekimu's creations would also fall apart if he was less skilled with the Mask Of Creation?
  • Also... 'save the world?' guess that they forgot to establish the idea of the world being threatened. If anything it was only small villages being threatened by the skull villains?

Edited by Scarilian

• Skull Scorpio just doesn't exist at all, not even shown in the advert NOR at the end of the advert when the products are shown. WOW, that is seriously Lego just wiping him from existence xD

That doesn't surprise me, to be honest :P He's not their best set.

Wow, they could not have made tat commercial sound more generic if they'd tried xD. "defeat evil, get the masks, and save the world". Also, the narrator sounded like he really didn't care.

Oh, and they included the toas' boxes at the end, as if to cover up the fact that this wave is disappointingly small.

Wonder if this means the toa are still being produced, and will be on shelves throughout the year, as opposed to being phased out like a traditional winter wave?

Interesting tidbit about grinder animating the others with the MoCr though. But then... who animated him? o_0

Wonder if this means the toa are still being produced, and will be on shelves throughout the year, as opposed to being phased out like a traditional winter wave?

Maybe... definitely see them sticking around till November (by then some of the books will have been released which might convince people to get them) and possibly up until we see the release of the 2016 winter wave.

Interesting tidbit about grinder animating the others with the MoCr though. But then... who animated him? o_0

Makuta? The dark powers of the energy inside the Mask Of Ultimate Power? An entirely seperate entity? To be honest could be any of those at this stage. Probably Makuta given next year should give us the Mask Of Control if everything works out how they hinted.

That commercial was kind of cliché, specially with the music, and I loved it. I know it's CGI and all but that ad sold Skull Grinder for me.

I'd love if future BIONICLE villains are less dark and... "edgy" like the past storylines I guess? I'd like to see more, I don't know, vampires, werewolves, mad scientists, zombies, aliens, not like HF's Brain Attack aliens, I'm talking about a fullfleshed Martian aliens like the Mars Mission Aliens. All that cliché stuff that I absolutely love. Would be a day dream.