I think a Lego employee at NYCC confirmed the similarity was fully intended.

@TheOneVeyronian really nice, thanks!

Sorry if this has been brought up before.. What do you say guys, just a coincidence?

3YPFNLD.png

Love that piece, hopefully we get more like it in 2016

Sorry if this has been brought up before.. What do you say guys, just a coincidence?

3YPFNLD.png

Take a look at the images released at Comic Con- they show that they based a lot of the new elements on older pieces.

EDIT: I'll just post the picture here:

comicconslides-6-150x150.jpg

Edited by Master_Data

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any image leaks. You think we would get some by now,considering that 2 toyfairs are occurring in the next 10 days...

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any image leaks. You think we would get some by now,considering that 2 toyfairs are occurring in the next 10 days...

You'd be surprised. Last year, we didn't get leaked pictures until the 26th of January. Retailer catalog pictures did leak before then, but HF wasn't photographed much. :/

It's amazing that we got the first BIONICLE leaks in July, three months before they were showcased at NYCC, yet we can't get a single leak now. :grin:

Maybe LEGO finally realized they should keep things better protected. As much as I love to get leaks, I feel....wrong....when we get leaked images. ESPECIALLY with an original theme like this. It reminds me of sneaking around in your attic as a kid, and then you find Christmas presents: you feel wrong for doing it, and it takes away the excitement.

That being said, I really want to see the sets. :grin: If Skull Scorpion is anything like a Nui-Jaga, then LEGO has my money.

It's amazing that we got the first BIONICLE leaks in July, three months before they were showcased at NYCC, yet we can't get a single leak now. :grin:

Maybe LEGO finally realized they should keep things better protected. As much as I love to get leaks, I feel....wrong....when we get leaked images. ESPECIALLY with an original theme like this. It reminds me of sneaking around in your attic as a kid, and then you find Christmas presents: you feel wrong for doing it, and it takes away the excitement.

That being said, I really want to see the sets. :grin: If Skull Scorpion is anything like a Nui-Jaga, then LEGO has my money.

Are people trying to find leaks for this wave, as much as they did for the winter wave? Probably explains why we haven't gotten anything yet.

Well, the early winter leaks really had nothing to do with the amount anyone searched for images. It was a third party who had exclusive access to things releasing the info to the public. I've been searching just as hard as before in terms of finding pictures on shop sites, and no dice.

I would absolutely love a year where there were no leaks at all. I want to recapture that feeling I had when I was younger where I just walk into a store and see the new sets for the first time, instead of months upon months of hyper-analysis. Alas, I don't think I would ever have the self control to stay away from the internet for so long.

Edited by Mesonak

Yeah, I'm kind of enjoying the lack of leaks- it really helps to keep the winter wave special. As soon as leaks pop up, the winter sets are just thrown on the back-burner because "omg does he have the mask of life? or is that a mr potato head mask?" preliminaries become the center of discussion.

Either way, all will be revealed by the end of February at the latest of course, given that Toy Fair is fast approaching. Terribly posed and misbuilt figures ahoy!

I would absolutely love a year where there were no leaks at all. I want to recapture that feeling I had when I was younger where I just walk into a store and see the new sets for the first time, instead of months upon months of hyper-analysis. Alas, I don't think I would ever have the self control to stay away from the internet for so long.

Yeah, I remember the good old days, when I walked into Target and saw, for the first time ever, Mata Nui and the legendary Mask of Life. I also remember seeing all BIONICLE sets gone, replaced with HF (bad times! :cry_sad: )......Now it's like:

"We're getting Ekimu and the MOCR in a few months."

"Yay."

:facepalm:

You make a good point, but just for future reference one meter is 3 1/3 feet. The average human is 1 meter 80 centimeters. Could you clarify what you meant please?

"Meters" was an absent-minded mistake on my part. =P

I meant "module", or whatever it is the M stands for in pieces like this one.

I was referring to the powered-up mode where he has a mace that he gains from the Protector Of Earth.

It's not a mace, though. It's an admittedly odd drill. It just happens to use the half-mace piece.

http://www.lego.com/...8770dd75febabd#

Was more on about the idea of large hands, general body proportions which i talked about. In which case they would both have bulky hands.

Leonardo Da Vinci's titular Mona Lisa has similar proportions to Mary in his Virgin of the Rocks. Does that make them copies of one another?

As my point about them has always been, its been about the similarities between the sets brought up after noticing the similarities between the LDD Skull Grinder, Tahu and Kopaka. I mentioned that some are stylistic such as Onua and CHI Gorzan, in that the exterior proportions are similar, not exact as you have pointed out. I also mentioned that some aspects are directly copied like the leg design for Tahu being from Furno XL.

All humanoid figures, built using the same system, within the space of a few years, are going to have similarities. Unless, that is, you go with BIONICLE's pre-2007 of designing a new bunch of parts for each wave of sets. It does add variety, but it's hardly the most practical or creative solution.

In the case of Tahu and Furno, the similarity is down to the use of this piece as leg armor. The rest of the legs, while similar, are not even identical. Besides, is there anything wrong with LEGO reusing an armoring method that has only been done once before?

What i was trying to start in this discussion was the question of whether if these sets hadnt included the new pieces would they have been more identical clones. If Onua had'nt included the gearbox would he have had the same body design as Gorzan? If he hadnt included the new shovel hand pieces would he have had the Chima large hand pieces instead to act as his claws? How much differentiation do we need to be able to say that one character is not simply another with a few small changes.

If the CCBS sets all used the same build, with new pieces simply filling in for old, that would be one thing. But seeing as new pieces like the gearbox or this actually allow for different builds (ala Onua,) I think new pieces are a boon. You seem to be suggesting that the use of new pieces for new set designs shows that CCBS is at its breaking point, whilst also arguing that the re-use of pieces signifies the same thing. It can't be both. Either the system can't support a sufficient amount of substanitally different new pieces, and is therefore stifled and reusing old ones with diminishing returns, or it is so self-sufficient that it oughtn't to be introducing new elements, since they are superfluous. Or perhaps neither is the case, and it needs to, and can, keep itself fresh by adding new parts (while not being totally dependent on them), like LEGO System.

E.g. Do you view the protectors as clone sets because of several sharing the same body designs and masks or are the recoloured pieces and weapons enough to vary them?

The Protectors are arguably something of a strawman, given their small size. They can't have the same variety as larger sets like the Toa. And while I agree that the Protectors of Ice, Water, Jungle, and Stone share the same basic build, I think that they amply demonstrate that even stylistic differences, such as different shells, can give such builds distinct personalities. And of course, the Protectors of Earth and Fire show that even small sets need not share the same frame. Despite them sharing the same mask-piece, I think that the Protectors have oodles of more individuality than most of their Gen1 counterparts.

Basically aspects like that, how much of the sets are duplicated and how much is varied and how much of the sets rely on new pieces? Are a few new pieces, minor changes or recolours all that seperates characters from being clones nowadays?

I've shown above current sets that have more than superficial variety, but I'm puzzled as to why you level such an accusation at CCBS and the Inika-build specifically, as if the pre-2007 sets were not merely clones of each other whose differences from previous waves were acheived almost entirely by new pieces.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

This talk of leaks and how we don't have any yet reminds me of the days when I didn't have an online presence, I would always go and check the LEGO aisles in Tesco (or other supermarket or toy store) every week for new stuff then be surprised at what I found when new stuff did arrive. In fact, it'd be nice to just have a solid release date and some prices for things, then go into the LEGO Store on that day and find out what those things looked like exactly.

But on the flipside, having picture leaks allows me to plan for future MOC's and part purchases, so really, I have a reason for having leaks and a reason for not having leaks. Having said that, I still feel kinda guilty taking a peek at leaked preliminaries - I view it as a guilty pleasure though :devil:

December 2006, crappy internet. I walked into TRU, bam, Barraki. Then from June 07-Jan 09 I relied on catalogs for summer set information. Toa Mahri Jaller was amazing the first time I saw him in the catalog, as was Phatoka Kopaka, Mistika Tahu, and Tuma. *Sigh* Pleeeease childhood come back!

Yeah. I relied on LEGO catalogues and seeing them in toy stores until spring 2008, when I found all the Mistika on the Internet. I showed them to my mom and she was really happy - and I'm a non-stop catallgue and Internet watched all the time.... :tongue:

I must admit looking at the leaks is both a help and a hinderance. By the time i usually go out to purchase the Winter sets i'm normally able to see the Summer sets and those most the time look better than the Winter Sets... possibly due to hype. As such i then tend to delay getting the Winter sets and wait till the Summer sets arrive, only then to find that the Winter sets for next year are about to appear and the process continues :P

It's an admittedly odd drill.

Ah ok, my mistake

Leonardo Da Vinci's titular Mona Lisa has similar proportions to Mary in his Virgin of the Rocks. Does that make them copies of one another?

Not copies though the basic fact that they are both female and have similar proportions would make them on their own difficult to differentiate to someone unaware of Mona Lisa's smile. Its key aspects in either painting that make them different.

In the case of Tahu and Furno, the similarity is down to the use of this piece as leg armor. The rest of the legs, while similar, are not even identical. Besides, is there anything wrong with LEGO reusing an armoring method that has only been done once before?

If they find a method that works, thats great, but if they stick to using the same pieces for the same area of the body then its less varied and makes all the sets look similar.

You seem to be suggesting that the use of new pieces for new set designs shows that CCBS is at its breaking point, whilst also arguing that the re-use of pieces signifies the same thing. It can't be both.

While the new pieces work i feel the fundamental design is flawed by the main idea of CCBS, which is to be simplistic and easy to make/use. You can only go to a certain level of complexity with CCBS pieces alone, as such the new sets have had to introduce the gearbox and more and more technic pieces to help increase the complexity, which results in them just being slapped onto the back of what is mostly a pure CCBS build in most cases. I dont think its at a breaking point, but it just seems that the CCBS system is becomming less and less reliable for Lego if they have to work around it by making parts designed to make the sets more complex and detailed.

I've shown above current sets that have more than superficial variety, but I'm puzzled as to why you level such an accusation at CCBS and the Inika-build specifically, as if the pre-2007 sets were not merely clones of each other whose differences from previous waves were acheived almost entirely by new pieces.

I'm not saying they were the only examples, just the most noticeable. I feel the same will issues will happen with the CCBS system as the core endoskeleton will likely remain for years to come and hasnt changed since 2011. The issues being, as i mentioned above, that the system itself lacks longivity on its own without introducing new pieces every year, especially seeing as the main new pieces for Chima or Hero Factory were designed for specific figures. It doesnt have the complexity or detail they are trying to aim for with the new Bionicle so whenever they use the already introduced pieces they seem out-of-place and much less detailed.

They've backed themselves into a corner where new pieces are not just a choice, but are more of a necessity as they need to further differentiate themselves from the more simple looking pieces that came out before. Without a supply of new more detailed looking pieces such as the masks, weapons and new armour then it would'nt have the 'Bionicle' vibe that many fans desire.

Got my LOSS set in the mail! Box was a little beat up, but they include the card that was given out at NYCC, so it's a good package. Gonna build him now.

I was finally able to find Gali today. They had every set save her sitting on the shelf at Target, and I found an endcap full of her and Minecraft sets on my way out. She's wonderful and very feminine while still keeping a heroic, battle-ready look and she works so well just like the rest of her team. This means that I have completed my 2015H1 collection, which is awesome. I still find it hard to believe that, sitting before me, are new Bionicle sets.

Built LOSS. Pretty neat, although a little dopey. The function itself is really interesting, but when it comes together, you wish it could be a little more. If it's any indication on what summer sets will be like in terms of complexity and function, I'm looking forward to it.

Built LOSS. Pretty neat, although a little dopey. The function itself is really interesting, but when it comes together, you wish it could be a little more. If it's any indication on what summer sets will be like in terms of complexity and function, I'm looking forward to it.

Think you may have missed the LDD's based off the set descriptions;

Yep, it's some LDD again

tumblr_niaq2dhkKJ1ti9evco5_500.png

Larger pic and rest of the skullgang: http://gk733-bonkles...ying-these-guys

Might be fun to ask from Risgrynsgrot how accurate these are.

Those certainly aren't EXACT COPIES of the sets, which will more likely than not still hold some pleasant surprises like LoSS. They're just guesswork based on what little we have heard of them so far, and while a lot of them are purported to be humanoid that does not mean much to whether or not they have the opportunity to innovate.

Personally the constant dissection of fuzzy images (or in this case, non-existent ones) bores me to tears anyway. Especially when we have to keep pestering some random person to recollect in exact detail what they saw. I'm content to wait until ToyFair to begin discussing the sets proper.

Those certainly aren't EXACT COPIES of the sets, which will more likely than not still hold some pleasant surprises like LoSS. They're just guesswork based on what little we have heard of them so far, and while a lot of them are purported to be humanoid that does not mean much to whether or not they have the opportunity to innovate.

True they are not exact copies, just based on the descriptions, though i doubt they will do more than necessary on the puported humanoid builds. The only set that may be similar to LoSS in terms of its complexity and functionality as Dorek is hoping for, in my opinion, is the Skull Scorpion.

Edited by Scarilian

Well, like others said, they are probably very inaccurate. We have vague information about the general shapes of sets (S. Scorpion looks like a scorpion, the others are humanoid), and their most basic color schemes, which Risgrynsgrot said he could not see fully. And what Risgrynsgrot saw could have been preliminary. He said white bones, but remember Pohatu's "white"? Silver, tan, and white all looks similar.

Anyway, why would a humanoid build limit the complexity of the set's functions? For all you know, S. Grinder could transform into a plane. (Unlikely, to say the least, but you see my point.)

I, personally, think that the sets will be highly functional and complex. Why would LEGO make one wave of sets like that, and then drop it for the summer?

I think the LEGO facebook page is trying to yank our chains right now. They re-posted the Legend video with this:

The island of Okoto is a mystical place. Today it still reminds us of an ancient era in Bionicle history. Can you discover a sign from the old days in the current story trailer?

Let us know what you discover and where to find it in the comments.

More ambiguous maybe-its-all-in-the-same-lore-maybe-its-not inaction. It really feels to me like they are suggesting they are connected while also keeping the strong possibility it isn't just to maintain a neutral point in the whole thing.

Edited by InfurnallDragon