See I think LoSS is pretty outstanding. He may have some issues visually, but I applaud Lego for constructing a technic-built creature set complete with function after so many years.

Even if it doesn't become the norm (nor would I really want it to be), I applaud Lego for taking steps in that direction again and therefore LoSS will be day one for me.

Pohatu review is up:

edit: yup, there's inaccuracies. Notably on the upper legs.

edit 2: nope, I'm stupid. That's the way the set is made.

Edited by JayWalker

Pohatu review is up:

edit: yup, there's inaccuracies. Notably on the upper legs.

edit 2: nope, I'm stupid. That's the way the set is made.

The biggest inaccuracies are ones they mentioned in some of the annotations, specifically forgetting his armor on his right shoulder and having his gearbox raised one module too high. Still, it's a pretty good likeness. And the video shows us that yes, his limbs do look pretty much yellow under certain lighting conditions, and the LEGO Group doesn't just use a yellowish color for Tr. Fluorescent Green in renders because they like to trick people. If they thought people would respond better to Tr. Yellow they'd have just used Tr. Yellow to begin with — it's not like it's any more expensive than Tr. Fl. Green.

I really think that the Stone characters coming with 'Skull Scorpions' is that they can be considered the desert counterpart of spiders and that's a connection that kids can make, not in reference to Pohatu beating up a Nui-Jaga in MNOG.

My purchasing plan is to get 1) Pohatu, Tahu, and Lewa 2) Gali, Onua, Kopaka, and LOSS 3) Protectors. I'm crossing my fingers that I am able to get them all on release day (which I have done with some Technic sets in the past, thank you for Lego Stores that reserve items), but if not I won't be in a rush.

Well, with how I'm probably going to purchase them, first off is that I'm going to see if I win some in the building contest... it would be a lot easier on my wallet if I did you know :grin:

But I'm prepared to face the fact that it's probably never going to happen. So, if the price isn't too prohibitive, I'll likely splurge on all 13 sets upon release day. But if they come to some astronomical price once I find out the actual GBP values, I'll probably just settle for getting all the Toa first, or all the Protectors plus LOSS, or a few Toa plus their matching Protectors, whichever groupings I fancy come New Year's Day really.

And then, once all 13 sets are acquired, I'll likely purchase second copies of the Toa and Protectors if and when they go on sale to get some of the new recolours (though I have Bricklink and Bricks and Pieces for that) and, of course, to army build Skull Spiders. I have a slightly annoying OCD which means I must have equal numbers of each colour of Skull Spider in my collection...

I intend to get at least a Toa and a Protector, NINJAGO's probably going to decimate BIONICLE for me once the TV show starts up again.

Pohatu looks as good as I thought he did. Definitely a priority purchase. Was eljay correct when he said he uses the old brown from the huki tohunga?

Pohatu looks as good as I thought he did. Definitely a priority purchase. Was eljay correct when he said he uses the old brown from the huki tohunga?

Eljay isn't reviewing these.

Eljay isn't reviewing these.

Yeah, he'll be reviewing them at a later date; Varderan is reviewing these. Also, yes, I believe it is that same shade.

And so Pohatu looks very cool as well. Not my fav (but it's ok, I've never been a big fan of Stone characters), but he wins over the other brown sets (which I always found to be pretty dull, both for colours and weapons) due to the use of that beautiful Hewkii brown (come on, back in G1 nearly everyone wanted some pieces in that colour! And, either way, it's the perfect compromise between classic brown and orange) and, of course, those crazy awesome, ahem, Stormarangs. And mind you, he's not high on my list but I still like him a lot, because I find all 6 Toa to be top notch.

His biggest problem is his design, it's not bad, but it's true that he's the Average Joe of the 6. It's a pity because Lewa and Gali have unique shoulder armour designs, and, given Pohatu's stupid low parts count, he could've used some shells to fill him up a bit. Also, I don't really get the assymetrical arms idea. As for the colour scheme, while I'm ok with the silver (it does look like stone) I'm still not hooked on the tr. neon green. Lastly, not really a complain but I have to note that it's weird for a dual wielding set to have one arm locked. :wacko:

It's kind of funny you'd say that since Lord of Skull Spiders offers the best price per piece of any of the new sets. I can see where you're coming from, though. Comments like this highlight the difference between people who enjoy BIONICLE sets as Technic parts packs and people who enjoy them as characters or action figures.

Yup, I'm definitely in the second group. I just want to create real life representations of characters (be they part of BIONICLE's lore or OCs of mine), and I find the CCBS the best system to create models that represent "living" characters, far more so than the overly mechanical Technic. This is why I generally don't like functions- they're a reminder that the model is, well, just a toy. What I like to do is creating the illusion that I have living characters in front of me, that I'm giving them a physical presence, if you get what I mean. I'm not doing it out of loneliness :laugh: It's like writing or drawing: the difference is that you're not using words or lines to give life to the character, but small pieces of plastic instead.

So LoSS is just that to me- a toy. When I see he has a lever on his back and blocky mechanical legs, I can't help but view him as anything but one. And, as I said above, I don't like using Technic very much so I'm not interested in all the beams he comes with. This is what I mean by "wasting 15 Euro in pieces I don't need" (was that the actual quote? I don't have time to pick it up now). Even though the piece-to-parts ratio is amazing, I don't want most of those pieces.

Sorry if that sounded a bit too whimsical, I guess I kind of got carried away :blush: , but this is how I view MOCing.

Yes, it's the same Dark Orange color from the 2001 and 2003 Huki/Hewkii sets. And the same dark orange from the 2003 Gukko and Pewku sets, for that matter.

Yep. Pohatu is the greatest. Glad the arms look kinda yellow, but I'd have preferred the real McCoy.

Still. I'm sure he'll be one of my favorites. The nostalgia's going to be killer.

Yes, it's the same Dark Orange color from the 2001 and 2003 Huki/Hewkii sets. And the same dark orange from the 2003 Gukko and Pewku sets, for that matter.

I'm glad to hear that. Yet another shade of brown would have done us little good.

That means that if people reaaaaaally want the old Kakama (like I considered because it was my favorite mask) they can just toss Hewkii's on there.

Can anyone with the parts say how well the joint in the boomerangs holds up? From TTV's preview it seems that they click like the Beast's jaws but I am not sure whether the pin really holds them together well enough to be sturdy.

That means that if people reaaaaaally want the old Kakama (like I considered because it was my favorite mask) they can just toss Hewkii's on there.

Can anyone with the parts say how well the joint in the boomerangs holds up? From TTV's preview it seems that they click like the Beast's jaws but I am not sure whether the pin really holds them together well enough to be sturdy.

Nope, they don't click. They're sturdy enough that they won't flop around no matter what, but you probably wouldn't want to use them to support a model's full weight (like as legs or whatnot).

Tahu's going to be my first one, hopefully Jaller Fire Protector too. I'll get Pohatu soon after that, then probably Gali and Lewa. THe last two big ones and the other Protectors will mostly be "If I have the cash". LoSS, I just don't care for. Functions were never my thing, especially when articulation is sacrificed for them, and I feel like LoSS might've had CCBS legs, which would've justified buying him for me, if it weren't for the grabbing function. As it stands, he really brings nothing I'm interested in to the table, so I'll just order the Spider body online and get more black CCBS parts from there too.

I'll get all the Toa sets for sure. I don't care for LOSS either. As for the Protectors, the Jungle and Earth ones look interesting so I'll probably just get those. And maybe the Fire one so I can do a Jaller CCBS MOC.

On the subject of Pohatu, am I the only one who is slightly annoyed that he uses Dark Orange instead of Reddish Brown? Don't get me wrong, Dark Orange is one of my favourite of all the darker colours on the palette, but here's what's bothering me: It's another completely new colour when there are similar colours that already exist in CCBS that, in my opinion, are in need of expanding beyond a couple of shells and one bone (and giving it greater availability). I'm talking about Reddish Brown. It's only appeared in Ogrum and CHI Mungus so far, and I really thought Pohatu and the Stone Protector had the potential to add to the amount of Reddish Brown available. I would have liked it even more even if they had some Dark Brown parts to go with the lone torso shell introduced in the Chima mammoth stomper. Just keeping on adding colours to the CCBS palette when less common existing colours could have been used just, in my opinion, makes all parts concerned less MOC-able with. I'm still waiting for trans-yellow to join Waspix's 8M shells for instance...

However... if Mungus and Ogrum had Dark Orange in the first place, well, this post wouldn't exist in this form :tongue:

While on the subject of recolours actually, I'm really glad Tahu has lots of Red torso shells, as I know of at least 3 MOC's that I have that will hugely benefit from having them. And they're plentiful on that set! :laugh:

If LEGO was against brown because kids associate brown as yucky and as poop, then they made the wrong decision with trans neon green pieces.

If LEGO was against brown because kids associate brown as yucky and as poop, then they made the wrong decision with trans neon green pieces.

I don't think that's why. It's just that brown sets didn't sell quite as well as other sets.