Lego: "Hey, you know what was an incredibly unpopular name? Mata Nui. No one liked that one."

Writers: "Are you kidding? Mata Nui was the single most popular name in Bionicle! There was the island, and the guy.....that name was the focus of the story!"

Lego: "Trust me, it was very obscure and unpopular. Let's change it to......Ekimu!"

Writers: "So what do you want to change Makuta's name to?"

Lego: "Oh no, he keeps his name."

Writers: :sadnew:

Edited by LN-01354

So do we reckon Makuta is behind the skull spiders, or is just a figure in the past, who isn't the villain of the actual line? Cos he's kinda asleep AND maskless right now... Although, mask of control screams rahi army, so maybe someone has already found his....

I'd say we're probably looking at Makuta and Ekimu sets this summer, wielding hammers like the ones in the animation.

"BIONICLE "reboot" is akin to Star Trek new movies. Confirmed for three year line right now, possibly more later."

So, alternate timeline. That 3 year news is great! They are definitely very confident in this new launch, which is awesome.

I just noticed that Makuta grew when he put on the mask of ultimate power, so yeah, looks like he may not be a midget in set form after all :)

Calling it. The gold Skull Spider in the Lord of Skull Spiders set is the Mask of Ultimate Power.

that would be... Incredibly anticlimactic.

Edited by Timeline15

That trans hau is awesome! I wonder, is it one of a kind?

And that mini cartoon looks pretty good! I would watch a bionicle animated series like that.

And I have to agree with the others about the names, why call it okoto if it's the same as mata nui? Why change it to ekimu if it's the same as Artakha? And why keep makuta if he's different? These are minor things though, and makes me wonder what kind of set the mask of Creation might be in.

And three years? That's not too bad, I would hope that it goes on longer after that though. I guess we'll have to see how successful it is.

Edited by arc

Awwwww dang. This looks awesome so far. Hoping for IRL pictures before the night is out, but this is really really exciting. Glad we're finally getting story details.

EDIT: Also, knocking off of masks confirmed by that video? Maybe...

Edited by mysteriouspi

Only...Three years?

It's confirmed for three years. Seems like they got a solid slate for the next 3 years and will move forward depending on how well it does.

Ekimu isn't the same as Artahka, though. Artahka was an inventor of sorts, while Ekimu and Makuta are both specified as mask makers.

Not sure about the island name, though that could be to avoid a new Maori controversy? Or maybe to emphasize that there doesn't seem to be a Great Spirit Mata Nui this time around.

I think they changed it to Ekimu and Okoto to avoid confusion. Remember, Mata Nui was both the robot and the island, but this is not the case.

YES!! A Flash animated series. I totally called it! And, if it's a miniseries, I guess LEGO just loves making Flash-animated short series now (including this and Mixels).

I'll reserve my judgement on the story until the panel. And that transparent Hau is sick. Cannot WAIT for more!

Only...Three years?

3 masks. lego will continue it as long as it makes them money. They are more than willing to pull new plot point out of their hindquarters if it allows them more time.

Oh, and I like how they even bothered to put a gear on Ekimu's back.

So, given that these 2 seem to be semi-normal citizens of the island, do we reckon they're actual biological brothers this time? Or at least closer than "robot and his computer virus"?

Edited by Timeline15

I think the design of the MoUP is going to be hidden for a while, just like with the Ignika. Gotta greate hype.

And I like the fact that Makuta actually is the brother of the Big Good this time around. Oh and sorry but, Mask of Control >>> Mask of Shadows.

Edited by Shakar

Anything's better than Mask of Shadows; it was a redundant mask, just like the Mask of Light on the Toa of Light.

In their tongue he is Makuta, rahiborn :P

Oh, and his name's Makuta, not Teridax. Shame. I seem to be the only one who actually preferred the latter.

Edited by Timeline15

Due to the sounds in the background I can't tell why there's protectors masks flying aaround and why the three masks are buried in the temple at the end. I really hope a clear video of this pops soon on their website.

Anything's better than Mask of Shadows; it was a redundant mask, just like the Mask of Light on the Toa of Light.

Yup, that is why I disliked them. And the tacked on "can sense/spread negative/positive emotions" was.. kinda cheesy, not to mention it was never used IIRC. Controlling stuff? That sounds like a useful power, and fitting for a villain too.

Oh wow, just noticed why you guys say that E&M are small- their body designs are exactly those of Fire/Earth Protector. Still, I'm sure they're going to be Titan-size in toy form. Matoran-size would be anticlimatic to say the least.

Kinda disappointed that Makuta is once again a black and red titan instead of the creepy thing he was in 2001, but we'll see how it plays out.

Edited by Shakar

Remember Teridax in the MNOG? Matoran-sized.

Wasn't that a disguise? and didn't he also appear as a flying mass of black parts in the same game? I've not actually played it, but I got the sense that his large 03 armour was his true form.

My guess is that a normal spider accidentally stumbled upon the mask, the mask transformed it (sorta like Fenrakk) and began to control the now-large spider. Imagining lightning-like streaks coming out of the mask and mutation other spiders to make an army...