I've predicted it was going to go away for quite a while now; it seems like the marketing budget for the theme is painfully small, so that can't be doing wonders for its sales.

However, as others are saying, it would be a shame if the theme ended with no resolution to any of the dangling plot threads.

I still want more details on Antiquaza. : |

It's still big enough for a 3D game and several platform and a 22-minute episode a year, so still bigger than for most other LEGO themes.

So far, every year seems to have been "Hero Factory's final year??"

Sooner or later, it's going to be correct. But it hasn't been yet.

Let's just cut to the chase and declare that Hero Factory is constantly in a state of being over.

Up until now, it has been pure speculation, though. This time, however, there is a valid reason to believe it.

-Gata signoff.png

There is a little hope inside me that a new action figure theme could be concerned on steam punk. Especially after some steam punk sets from Master...-Builder theme or whatever was it called. I haven't been buying any Lego sets for two years and I think it could end when a such line will exist.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if the 2014 Hero Factory lineup were intended to be a "grand finale." After all, the fact that Advance and Ghost are handling the TV episode themselves could mean that they intend for it to be a bigger deal than the previous episodes.

I'd miss Hero Factory, naturally, but I have no doubt it would have a strong legacy in the form of the CCBS, unless of course the Mixels joints take the place of that entirely. And I don't really anticipate that happening so soon after they first appear.

Overall, a new constraction theme MIGHT take the place of Hero Factory, or it might co-exist with it. There are signs that point to HF ending soon (the book series ending, a new constraction theme over the horizon, the amount being invested in the new episode), but it's not enough to draw definite conclusions from. And I'm not going to waste a lot of time weighing the odds. I'd rather just enjoy what's to come.

Back when the rumors first emerged about BIONICLE ending in 2010, I posted a blog entry in which I explained that I didn't care WHEN it ended as long as it ended well (for the record, I felt BIONICLE's ending was plenty satisfactory given the circumstances). The same applies to Hero Factory. It's had a good run — not as long as BIONICLE's, naturally, but it's not like it NEEDS to last that long when pretty much every story is self-enclosed and the building system has already proven its versatility outside that one theme. There would be some things I would always regret about the theme, such as that we never got figures of supporting characters like Zib and Makuro or that some cliffhangers were never fully resolved. But I don't know that keeping the theme going longer would really change the course of things a great deal.

So overall, I look forward to whatever the future might hold for Hero Factory and constraction themes in general.

The official response on the sales of HF I've gotten from the few TLG employees I've talked to at conventions has always been "it does what it needs to do."

The official response on the sales of HF I've gotten from the few TLG employees I've talked to at conventions has always been "it does what it needs to do."

So I'd say sales aren't spectacular, but still solid enough.

-Gata signoff.png

Overall, a new constraction theme MIGHT take the place of Hero Factory, or it might co-exist with it. There are signs that point to HF ending soon (the book series ending, a new constraction theme over the horizon, the amount being invested in the new episode), but it's not enough to draw definite conclusions from. And I'm not going to waste a lot of time weighing the odds. I'd rather just enjoy what's to come.

The books ended due to bad sales.

HF isn't selling well but not bad at all I believe. It's just there.

Exactly; it doesn't need for it to do "well" to keep going. Obviously the supplementary stuff doesn't necessarily work out (books, Recon Team, etc) but they make do with what they have.

It's very likely the person at the laptop is VN, but even then we stil don't know anything on what exactly he wants to do with the blueprints. Many things have been implied, but the problem is that the Heroes are acting as if that stuff never happened.

And of course, we know nothing about the maker of the Brains and if he's related to Nebula at all.

They were heavily implied in the guidebook to be related (part of the same organization), if not the same person (and unknown how VN is involved, if at all). Just for the record.

Part of the thing that makes HF sales so hard to gauge is that I don't think it was ever meant to be a "big bang" theme like Ninjago or Chima. One of Bionicle's issues was that its budget (for new molds, etc.) didn't pay off as much as it needed to. Despite its revolutionary building system, HF has been more conservative in its advertising, media, and even set design (often favoring recolors over new molds).

Muddying the issue further is the fact that Bionicle's early success was at a time when many of Lego's other brands were struggling, so it was unsurprisingly trumpeted on high. Hero Factory exists during the heyday of successful Lego themes like City, Ninjago, and Friends, so Hero Factory's sales, even if they are sufficient (as we have been told repeatedly), are largely a footnote to Lego's overall success, rather than a hallmark of it as Bionicle was.

It's possible that Lego could replace Hero Factory in coming years in the hopes of creating a more ambitious theme like Bionicle was, whether or not Hero Factory has as much of a decline as its predecessor did. But it's still too early to say. All we have now is evidence that Hero Factory is currently pursuing a new direction, and a Lego set designer is working on another constraction theme (which could be a one-off theme like Ben 10 or a theme like Chima that runs alongside Hero Factory, for all we know).

I just remembered that back when Hero Factory was still new, Lego said they didn't rule out the possibility of returning Bionicle. I haven't picked up anything construction based in almost 4 years, and Hero Factory 2014 seems very tempting. But I don't think I'll go heavily into Hero Factory either way. If TLG manages to pull of this new theme successfully, it may just draw me back into the game.

It's possible that Lego could replace Hero Factory in coming years in the hopes of creating a more ambitious theme like Bionicle was, whether or not Hero Factory has as much of a decline as its predecessor did. But it's still too early to say. All we have now is evidence that Hero Factory is currently pursuing a new direction, and a Lego set designer is working on another constraction theme (which could be a one-off theme like Ben 10 or a theme like Chima that runs alongside Hero Factory, for all we know).

Slight correction: Asger Johansen is a concept developer, not a set designer, and he works for Advance, not the LEGO Group. He also describes this as a "new action figure theme", so even if it is something small in scale, it'll be something more like Ben 10 than like Super Heroes or Chima, which only have constraction on the side.

I just remembered that back when Hero Factory was still new, Lego said they didn't rule out the possibility of returning Bionicle. I haven't picked up anything construction based in almost 4 years, and Hero Factory 2014 seems very tempting. But I don't think I'll go heavily into Hero Factory either way. If TLG manages to pull of this new theme successfully, it may just draw me back into the game.

The LEGO Group STILL hasn't ruled out the possibility of BIONICLE returning, to my knowledge. However, that was an incredibly remote possibility at the time — there would have been no sense in bringing it back so soon when simply continuing it had not been a desirable option. At any rate, I doubt that's what this is referring to, since it explicitly refers to it as a new theme (in contrast, he originally referred to the LEGO Castle reboot as "a new take on a classic LEGO theme").

I'll miss hero factory if it ends, but if the new constraction theme is better, it won't matter too much. I just hope they don't rush the ending like they did with bionicle (the stars sets were horrible).

i remember seeing this too, do you remember where that announcement was?

Slight correction: Asger Johansen is a concept developer, not a set designer, and he works for Advance, not the LEGO Group. He also describes this as a "new action figure theme", so even if it is something small in scale, it'll be something more like Ben 10 than like Super Heroes or Chima, which only have constraction on the side.

The LEGO Group STILL hasn't ruled out the possibility of BIONICLE returning, to my knowledge. However, that was an incredibly remote possibility at the time — there would have been no sense in bringing it back so soon when simply continuing it had not been a desirable option. At any rate, I doubt that's what this is referring to, since it explicitly refers to it as a new theme (in contrast, he originally referred to the LEGO Castle reboot as "a new take on a classic LEGO theme").

I wouldn't really expect bionicle to return, especially since TLG has recently gone in a completely different direction with ninjago and chima etc. The only lines that are still like they used to be are Technic, Creator, and CITY.

Edited by Bob C

The books ended due to bad sales.

HF isn't selling well but not bad at all I believe. It's just there.

LEGO doesn't include HF in their catalogs from time to time, but chima always seems to make it.

Hmmm, I remember someone mention TLG wanted to have two construction lines at one point. I was hoping Chima would be that but O well.

What Im not understanding is some you guys mention Bionicle. Were you disappoint in the ending? why would you want it back in the first place?

CCBS piece are WAY more versatile for constructions. I love it whether they continue HF or not. My concern is do kids like HF or not

What Im not understanding is some you guys mention Bionicle. Were you disappoint in the ending? why would you want it back in the first place?

Personally, I want it back just because of my childhood. I grew up with the characters and got attached to them. Seeing a continuation/reboot of the story would just make me happy.

I'm not at all disappointed with how the ending was handled, but I'd just like to see what happens afterwards. Spherus Magna gives us a whole new planet to explore, after all.

Aside from Bionicle, I'd like to maybe see a whole theme focused around mechs like what we're getting with Invasion from Below. Been watching Gurren Lagann, and it's kinda put me in a mech mood.

I don't know exactly why I want Bionicle back, but it gave us pretty much everything Hero Factory didn't. Except Hero Factory does seem to have a pretty reoccurring cast, which Bionicle seemed to be all over the place with. I just hope this new theme finds a balance, reoccurring characters without using the same 9 every year, but without having a million different stroy arcs. I also hope they give us more females, I only owned the Toa Hahli from 2007 and sadly gave her (and all my other Bionicle) away.

Hmmm, I remember someone mention TLG wanted to have two construction lines at one point. I was hoping Chima would be that but O well.

CCBS piece are WAY more versatile for constructions. I love it whether they continue HF or not. My concern is do kids like HF or not

I don't know about others, but Bionicle was a big part of my childhood. I got a couple bohrok in 2002, kraata, and all 6 matoran in 04, and Tower of Toa and 8(?) glatorian in '09. Not a lot, but i got them since I was 4.

@Bob C, a lot of us grew up with Bionicle, some, myself included, since it started in 01. Even so, there are those of us with sense to see that it ran it's course and we should move on.

And the rest are fanboys that will rebuke anything else that isn't Bionicle. Yes....they exist even now, 4 years later.

@Bob C, a lot of us grew up with Bionicle, some, myself included, since it started in 01. Even so, there are those of us with sense to see that it ran it's course and we should move on.

And the rest are fanboys that will rebuke anything else that isn't Bionicle. Yes....they exist even now, 4 years later.

Mmmhmm. I even saw a few of the latter kind of people on the comments section for an Invasion from Below picture reveal video! I mean, seriously. They'll never give up!

hmmm. a new constraction figures theme.

wait, 2014 HF were the first that integrates minifigs with CCBS. maybe this is a sign, maybe, if this line turns to be a success, they might use it again. a new story that centered with CCBS mech. that actually sounds like exo-force.

wait, could it be, they gonna brings back exo-force? but in CCBS? that would mean not only a mew mech, but also battle vehicles with CCBS.

I think there are legitimate reasons people might want BIONICLE back, especially if subsequent themes have failed to deliver that same sense of wonder for them. It was a VERY unique theme, and while some of its unique qualities might not have paid off with regard to toy sales, fans have as much reason to feel nostalgic for it as for any classic LEGO theme.

Personally, I have a lot of faith in the LEGO Group's creative potential even outside the BIONICLE franchise. If TLG is capable of making a BIONICLE reboot that would live up to the standard BIONICLE fans expect, then they are just as capable of creating a new franchise that can deliver that same sense of depth and mystery and adventure. All they need to do is to be ready when the time is right.

With that said, I've been more than happy with subsequent story-driven themes like Hero Factory and Ninjago. They don't follow the same exact formula as BIONICLE but they still are very high-quality themes that I'm not at all ashamed to enjoy. I'd even go so far as to say that they surpass BIONICLE in some ways — Hero Factory in its building system and its ability to explore different sorts of storytelling, Ninjago in its soundtrack, character development, and some other aspects of its storyline.

There are so many possibilities for constraction 2015, I don't see why some unprecise linked-in profile would suggest much.

Erland

Part Design

There are so many possibilities for constraction 2015, I don't see why some unprecise linked-in profile would suggest much.

Erland

Part Design

People are quick to jump to conclusions. That is why.

And you're right. It doesn't say much. All it really says is a new constraction line is coming 1 year from now.

Edited by Jetrax99

People are quick to jump to conclusions. That is why.

Yeah, remember when Stringer was Fire Lord? Good times.

well, i never really liked hero factory, hopefully we will get something more bionicle like back, hopefully even something like the 2001 technic rahi's