Maybe they should make larger sets but produce less quantity? I too would like larger sets, especially titans.

Edit: 15000th post on this topic. :D

Edited by MakutaOfWar

The problem isn't that it would cost too much to make; it's that parents won't spend that much on their kids.

Parents only make impulse buys; their kids aren't collecting the entire wave, they just want a fun toy. Parents will always go for cheap toys.

So the name for the first graphic novel is Gathering of the Tor. What do you say on the Tor? Filler characters, next years villains, or an egregious misspelling of Toa?

Has to be a misspelling. But who can say?

+1 for misspelling. It's just seems most likely, plus I doubt TLG would create a race called the "Tor" (which we wouldn't have even heard of yet) because it already sounds/is too close in spelling to "Toa."

Somehow the idea that the Protectors are selling better than the Toa isn't surprising. Not only less expensive, but their unique builds give them each different personalities. Which is funny in a way; early Gen 1 sets relied on unique masks for identities because they shared the same builds. Gen 2 is the opposite of this (bar the Toa, which have unique builds AND masks).

While I would like some larger villains, I have to agree with previous posters that smaller sets are more viable, and that is something else I'd like to see - Protector sized villains, something we haven't had for a while (at least not in a wave to themselves).

So the name for the first graphic novel is Gathering of the Tor. What do you say on the Tor? Filler characters, next years villains, or an egregious misspelling of Toa?

Toa on the Deep Web? :u

Example: It's pretty much accepted that the Protectors are selling a fair amount better than the Toa are. Why? Because they're cheaper.

They absolutely are not near me. Usually there'll be 3+ sets per Toa, but there's always stacks of Protectors lying around - especially Vizuna and Nilkuu.

Toa on the Deep Web? :u

Dangit I wanted to make that joke. :hmpf_bad:

The problem isn't that it would cost too much to make; it's that parents won't spend that much on their kids.

Parents only make impulse buys; their kids aren't collecting the entire wave, they just want a fun toy. Parents will always go for cheap toys.

I suppose, but by that logic;

- very few parents would buy the Toa for their kids as the protectors are cheaper

- the collectability factor of mask collection would be dead for most fans

- sets like the Toa would'nt be selling as well as they are claimed to be amongst new targety-age-range fans

Given the release date and the title combined with the 80 pages not expecting anything more than covering the winter and possibly summer 2015 wave.

Hey, this is Okto, remember? Every island needs its heroes. I'll wager they have a Nordic vibe.

We must tell everyone of the legend of Onya - Master Of Earth and the rest of the Tor as they continues to travel on the island of Okto, to re-awaken the great Ekimo. Along the way they must fight the mighty Skull Basher with his Doomdeath spikes!

Edited by Scarilian

Except... that doesn't make sense, at all. By that logic there would be no expensive toys period. Hell, Ekimu and Kulta wouldn't even exist. Your arguement runs so contrary to facts and logic I'm not sure how to properly give counter examples besides "go to a toy store."

People constantly underestimate children and parents, but this is really something. "Only make impulse buys." So.... Christmas lists aren't a thing anymore?

Got the skellies and immediately noticed what was wrong with them. They are too short and Scorpio feels flat. It doesn't matter that much with Warrior and Slicer but Basher is told to be " a towering figure" and he's as tall as Pohatu. He's portrayed as much larger in the animations and so is Grinder. I gave Basher two studs longer limbs, extended the neck and raised his shoulders one stud and made both one stud wider. Also filled the sticking balljoints with the same gunmetal shells as his. With Kulta I simply gave his knees friction joints and plan on doing the same to Warrior and Slicer. For Scorpio I just made that the legs he already have are movable by balljoint as making poseable limbs from bones would had changed his look too much, these are connected one stud lover so the rest of the model is one stud higher.

I hope that we have more villains in bigger pricepoints so these kind of fixes aren't needed. But oh well, they did rescale Makuta in MoL and Kikanalo in LoMN too.

Also Krekka in LoMN! If they hadn't he would have been the same height as Nokama, as he is in the official set.

Overall, I think Skull Basher's size is just fine considering he's set up as an adversary to Onua, who is the same height. Making him taller could run the risk of making his lower legs feel leaner/less bulky, since the add-on for his knees is a fixed size and would thus be smaller relative to the length of his legs. Don't get me wrong, a few taller villains could be good to have, but I think Basher's height is well-suited to Basher from an aesthetic standpoint.

Chances are they wouldn't have needed to make him taller in the webisodes if they hadn't decided on the animated version of Onua being the tallest of the Toa, instead of one of the shortest as he's typically been in the past.

Except... that doesn't make sense, at all. By that logic there would be no expensive toys period. Hell, Ekimu and Kulta wouldn't even exist. Your arguement runs so contrary to facts and logic I'm not sure how to properly give counter examples besides "go to a toy store."

People constantly underestimate children and parents, but this is really something. "Only make impulse buys." So.... Christmas lists aren't a thing anymore?

Well, they don't ONLY make impulse buys. But impulse buys do outweigh larger purchases to a large degree. Small sets consistently sell better, and large sets consistently sell worse. For that reason, it's not as simple as "make fewer, but larger sets" because Lego needs to have a variety of products at the more successful price points whether or not they have larger sets as well.

Additionally, the smaller sets serve a vital purpose as a "gateway" to the theme as a whole. There are plenty of buyers who might buy a large Bionicle titan or vehicle set... but new fans usually start with smaller sets. A wave overloaded with larger characters would risk alienating new fans who aren't prepared to spend $30 on a theme they're not even sure they'd enjoy.

Well, they don't ONLY make impulse buys. But impulse buys do outweigh larger purchases to a large degree. Small sets consistently sell better, and large sets consistently sell worse. For that reason, it's not as simple as "make fewer, but larger sets" because Lego needs to have a variety of products at the more successful price points whether or not they have larger sets as well.

Additionally, the smaller sets serve a vital purpose as a "gateway" to the theme as a whole. There are plenty of buyers who might buy a large Bionicle titan or vehicle set... but new fans usually start with smaller sets. A wave overloaded with larger characters would risk alienating new fans who aren't prepared to spend $30 on a theme they're not even sure they'd enjoy.

Well, it's not like LEGO would drop all the small, cheap sets for for a couple of big ones. I definitely wouldn't mind vehicles, playsets or battle sets (MM vs SG) to be replaced with big titans like Witch Doctor.

The small sets of 2015 only cost around 2-3 AUD less than the toa Mahri with inflation, so entry level isn't that cheap anyway.

Edited by bidiminished

Find where I said they should drop every single small-priced set in favour of gigantic, overpriced monsters?

I'm saying trade like two Protectors for another Tahu. Unlike what is typical internet practices, when I say I want more of something, I do not mean I want only that something.

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

Maybe it's like how the guy in the animations calls them "Toer"

I would love some titan sets although I can understand if that doesn't happen given the size of the sets now. Heck, G2 Tahu is the size of many G1 titans. I would love to see some CCBS titans in the vein of Witch Doctor(who I regret not purchasing when he was out) or General Grievous who appears to be quite large from some of the pictures we've seen.

I would love some titan sets although I can understand if that doesn't happen given the size of the sets now. Heck, G2 Tahu is the size of many G1 titans. I would love to see some CCBS titans in the vein of Witch Doctor(who I regret not purchasing when he was out) or General Grievous who appears to be quite large from some of the pictures we've seen.

The combiners are kinda in the vein of Titans, only they're not much taller than any of the Toa.