Seeing Onua Mistika next to Onua Okoto makes me really glad CCBS is a thing. :grin: That's only my opinion, of course.

Me too! Looking at the two of them, Onua 2015 looks much more expressive. I can see him as a biomechanical earth being, whereas the 2008 version...not so much.

Seven years later I'm more sure than ever that the Mistika wave was the worst of the entire BIONICLE history.

Worse than the Bohrok-Kal, worse than the Rahaga, worse than the Piraka (obvious bait)

I enjoyed 2008. :'( The story had a nice twist, and I quite liked the sets. I never understood the hate. Tahu Mistika remains one of my favorite sets to date.

strange how TLG didn't dispatch any review copies for these

Pretty sure BZP and EB both got their review copies sometime in the past week or two, which is par for the usual "monthish before release" date we usually get them in, as the official release still seems to be August for NA, and all the BZP and EB BIONICLE reviewers are in the USA. The early release in Europe took all of us by surprise, but they don't seem to be available in Denmark, which is where our review copies come from.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking in this thread for somewhere around 70 pages now, some of you may know me from BZP. I finally made an account just to talk about the new info we got from the Club Magazine.

What confuses me is that they seem to be dumping all this lore into Slicer without putting anywhere near as much detail into Basher or Scorpio. Slicer is pretty well nailed down; we have a detailed backstory involving some sort of gladiatorial combat, and the fact that he has been reanimated by LOSS. Likewise, Warrior is pretty well established as a simple mass-created soldier creature. And then... the other two. No info on them whatsoever. The comic for Scorpio shows two of them, yet all the other blurbs we have seem to indicate that it's unique. I'm loving Slicer's story and I'm definitely getting him if for no other reason than that, but the others... yeesh.

And Kulta. God I love that name.

Pretty sure BZP and EB both got their review copies sometime in the past week or two, which is par for the usual "monthish before release" date we usually get them in, as the official release still seems to be August for NA, and all the BZP and EB BIONICLE reviewers are in the USA. The early release in Europe took all of us by surprise, but they don't seem to be available in Denmark, which is where our review copies come from.

BS01 too Are the sets available online in the LEGO shop in other regions besides the UK? It's a bit of a crazy hodgepodge of who's released what at this point, which is funny compared to the incredibly tight rollout of January.

Her shoulder armor is raised up, they are not huge pauldrons like on G2 but it's still notable. Also for continuation theory, the thrusters on her legs could have turned into fins.

That seems a bit far-fetched to me. :tongue:

they don't seem to be available in Denmark

They are.

Are the sets available online in the LEGO shop in other regions besides the UK?

Everywhere except Canada, USA, and South Korea.

Seven years later I'm more sure than ever that the Mistika wave was the worst of the entire BIONICLE history.

Worse than the Bohrok-Kal, worse than the Rahaga, worse than the Piraka (obvious bait)

Stars and Glatorian (and the Mata Nui Titan. How I wish I had saved that money). I actually like some parts from the Mistika wave, like Gali's scope.

Ah makes sense, the release has been a bit messy and I forgot to consider that in full. oops hah

Also-

Skull Slicer review by Jang Edited by Mutant Orc

That's strange, I've only ordered by phone once, and that was in December because I wanted some BIONICLE parts early, and it worked. Perhaps they had a bigger stock at the time, though. Anyways, if they're available, tell me, I need to order a couple extra Masks of Creation so I can have chrome gold MoCr's. :grin:

I gut a response back from the email I sent them, just another reply saying they were sorry, they will become available at some point and they've passed on my complaint to the team at Bricks and Pieces. So it's just a waiting game again, I'd just periodically check the element ID on Bricks and Pieces, but when it's already dragged on for 2 months, it does start getting annoying :tongue:

If you want, you can try emailing them with the element ID of the MoCr (6115790). You might just get lucky if that's all you ask for :classic:

Oh, and please do show pictures of your chromed MoCr once you do get it done - I think that would just be the most awesome thing in the world to see :grin:

You know, all the Halloween jokes about the new sets got me thinking... I wonder if anyone will try to make costumes of the new Skull Villains this Halloween? It's still a couple of months out, which should be plenty of time for someone who's really dedicated to getting it done.

Sets arrived today, so pleased with that.

Attempted the combined mode for Skull Grinder here - was in a bit of a rush so ignore the blurred pics

Seems to suffer from much the same issues as Grinder, including the inability to raise his large weapon arm. Though without his weapons and ignoring the shortness of his arms i think he works as a good improvement. Will need to look into the back situation, as pretty sure the method i'm using for his leg supports isnt right - if it is then its rather bad in terms of posing as he cant move his legs move pretty much together.

Edited by Scarilian

Seems everybody has the same issue with Skull Grinder Kulta (as I'm calling him from now on, even if it sounds like something straight out of Ninjago :tongue: ): he can't hold up his weapon arm. In fact, recently I was talking to an EB member who asked me about my modifications to my Skull Grinder Kulta, and in an attempt to illustrate how I achieved extra friction, I made this mockup of the gear positionings that actually works in supplying friction when applied to just the arm holding the big weapon. The connector for the arms would still go through the topmost gear by the way.

sg_friction_solution.png

This is the optimal gear arrangement for maximum friction, any more gears and the gearbox would be pretty much rendered defunct as the gears would lock. For even more friction, this can be replicated on both sides of Kulta, or, alternatively, Onua's friction solution may also work quite well here.

The best bit is that it's a really cheap fix too, the gears and connectors used cost just pennies on BL.

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

You know, all the Halloween jokes about the new sets got me thinking... I wonder if anyone will try to make costumes of the new Skull Villains this Halloween? It's still a couple of months out, which should be plenty of time for someone who's really dedicated to getting it done.

I'd try it out if I wasn't already doing a Takanuva costume with my dad. I can see Warrior as an easy costume, Basher and Grinder a little more difficult, and Slicer and Scorpio as significantly more difficult. xD

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Sets arrived today, so pleased with that.

Attempted the combined mode for Skull Grinder here - was in a bit of a rush so ignore the blurred pics

Seems to suffer from much the same issues as Grinder, including the inability to raise his large weapon arm. Though without his weapons and ignoring the shortness of his arms i think he works as a good improvement. Will need to look into the back situation, as pretty sure the method i'm using for his leg supports isnt right - if it is then its rather bad in terms of posing as he cant move his legs move pretty much together.

I've built it today too. :laugh:

I used a slightly different technique for the legs support, though. And the right arm isn't connected to the mechanism, it's actually fixed, only the left arm can move.

Can the combiner be made without using any of Ekimu's trans blue bones?

He would also miss his hammer and golden armor. But the tr-fluor green bones could be used from Scorpio.

Looking at the sets on the window i do have to say that the rib pieces are definitely the best reason to get these sets and you do get a nice unnatural feel from them.

I've built it today too. :laugh:

Cool :3 Hopefully instructions come out soon, though in the meantime going to try modding mine a bit xD

Do you have pics of your version? Just trying to see mostly how the leg connection is

I used a slightly different technique for the legs support, though. And the right arm isn't connected to the mechanism, it's actually fixed, only the left arm can move.

Ah, didnt notice that and attempted to do the other arm as a mechanism :P

Either way, the mechanism holds, but its just the weight is too much for the arm joint so it immediately sags. Tested it with a friction adder and it held for a while but still ended up sagging anyway, guess the weight is just too much for the arm when not counterbalanced.

Can the combiner be made without using any of Ekimu's trans blue bones?

Unfortunately not if you want him to have shoulder armour, as the only replacement pieces you have spare are two of the bone pieces and the trans bones from Scorpio. Though i suppose you could always use any pieces you have from other sets to fill in the gaps, but yeah, unfortunately you cant have Ekimu if you want the Grinder/Scorpio combo.

Do you have pics of your version? Just trying to see mostly how the leg connection is

I'll review the two combiner models in the next few days. :classic:

Either way, the mechanism holds, but its just the weight is too much for the arm joint so it immediately sags. Tested it with a friction adder and it held for a while but still ended up sagging anyway, guess the weight is just too much for the arm when not counterbalanced.

It depends, when I raise the arm to the side, it falls back directly, but it can hold when I raise it to the front (don't know if you see what I mean).

Also, yeah, you need Ekimu's bones for the arms, but also a few Technic parts, like those from the hammer, or the axles+balljoints of his shoulders, his feet, and some of his armors. Most of his bones (including the torso) remain unused, but you definitely can't build the combo without...

Also, yeah, you need Ekimu's bones for the arms, but also a few Technic parts, like those from the hammer, or the axles+balljoints of his shoulders, his feet, and some of his armors. Most of his bones (including the torso) remain unused, but you definitely can't build the combo without...

You can always use the same parts from other sets (that's what I'm planning to do, because I really like the upgraded version of Kulta, but don't want to buy Scorpio or sacrifice Ekimu).