I think we should wait a few days, the Convention takes place at a (big) Lego exhibition, and there are certainly thousands of visitors, so I think they're quite busy and don't have time to upload videos / pictures right now. :wink:

Well after couple of days it's possibly already added to the site.. I know I'm a bit impatient but still would be neat to see it before that.

This too is my main issue with TLR and all the LEGO constraction-inspired films by TinselToons. The absurdity is increased when we consider that by word of Greg, Bara Magnians had a larger ratio of organic to inorganic materials in their bodies, and yet in TLR, Bara Magnians appear as being more robotic than those people from the Matoran Universe as shown in the the first three films. Though it has been argued by some that the sets ought to come first before the media portrayals, it is nonetheless annoying when that argument tries to justify the use of perfect copies of the sets with silly little spinning pins all over them.

But that's my pet peeve, I suppose I ought to weigh in on the 2015 BIONICLE animations:

Though I did like the designs used in the first three films, I will admit that the actual rendering was awful; a 2D cartoon will not look so dated 10 years from now, so I'd be quite happy if BIONICLE from hereon out were to use nothing but this or similar styles of 2D animation. It reminds me of the art used by cartoons from early 2000's Cartoon Network, and that is something I appreciate.

Funnily enough, there were actually a few MU beings in TLR in the opening; those being the Matoran in the robot.

And please, I bet there's more than enough examples of 2D animation that's dated now (perhaps most early Flash for example). Heck, the animation on the Toa in the recent Masks of Power trailer actually looks really flat and stiff.

Funnily enough, there were actually a few MU beings in TLR in the opening; those being the Matoran in the robot.

And please, I bet there's more than enough examples of 2D animation that's dated now (perhaps most early Flash for example). Heck, the animation on the Toa in the recent Masks of Power trailer actually looks really flat and stiff.

If it weren't for the amazing backgrounds in the new animations it would have looked so much worse and possibly made me hate the entire thing. Thankfully that isn't the case and I can say it's actually pretty good.

Edited by GK733

Perhaps you may not like the style, but I do not think it will look dated nonetheless, or, at least, not start to appear dated as quickly as 3D animation tends to become so. Since the 2D cartoon in question is to be stylized, it can get away with intentionally simple animation far more easily than many old pieces of 3D animation can. For example, MNOLG's 2D flash art holds up quite well due to it being intentionally simplistic and stylized, whereas the 3D films, which were attempting to portray the BIONICLE world is a less-stylized way, obviously appear dated. Is MNOLG simplistic? Quite, and it might not appeal to you because of that. But because of the art style used, it can not exactly be called 'dated' in the way that primitive 3D films can be.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

BZP's 'review' of Kopaka's Adrenaline Mode is up, if anyone wants to check it out.

I haven't watch it myself, personally--see no reason to.

BZP's 'review' of Kopaka's Adrenaline Mode is up, if anyone wants to check it out.

I haven't watch it myself, personally--see no reason to.

That's not Adrenaline Mode. Adrenaline Mode is when he converts his shield into his skis (or the secondary, mobility-oriented function of any of the Toa's weapons). The "Powered Up" mode is something completely different.

It annoys me a bit that this isn't mentioned in more product descriptions, because I keep seeing people confusing the meaning of that term.

I'm not sure if the Powered up Modes merit reviews honestly. I'd rather have seen Protector of Water, s/he's the only set we have no reviews of.

I'm not sure if the Powered up Modes merit reviews honestly. I'd rather have seen Protector of Water, s/he's the only set we have no reviews of.

I know BioniFigs has a review of him/her. At least, the photos are on Brickshelf here.

And yeah, I'm a little confused as to why these modes weren't just covered in either the Master or Protector review. I mean, I guess it's nice to have more pictures, but it seems a little out of the blue.

Heh... Blue... And we were talking about the Protector of Water... Heh.... Sorry.

-Eljay

Edited by Toa Eljay

I noticed that the animation and the comics change some colours of the Toa. Some I like, some I don't: Gali's torso being gunmetal makes sense since that's her actual secondary colour, but the random gunmetal chest on Lewa doesn't match anything on his armour (though those gunmetal blades are pretty cool). Pohatu was changed the most- he has no transparent bones, his eyes are blue instead of yellow/green, and, in the comic at least, he has symmetrically coloured arms! And I have to say I like him a lot better this way.

The blue eyes on Pohatu are odd since all the other images of his animated self still has them yellow. But his arms are unchanged in the animation, so I'd say that's just a mistake in the comic.

Edited by Vraptor140

And yeah, I'm a little confused as to why these modes weren't just covered in either the Master or Protector review. I mean, I guess it's nice to have more pictures, but it seems a little out of the blue.

Because we didn't have instructions when either of those reviews were posted. The LEGO Group only sent copies of the instructions to reviewers a little over two weeks ago, and those instructions weren't available to the public until last Thursday.

Updating the reviews to include that info would be a little bit of a chore and a lot of people who are specifically watching for new reviews wouldn't even see them. That's one of the perils of video reviews in particular — updating them after-the-fact is both difficult and largely ineffective.

All things considered, it might have made the most sense to review the "powered up" forms either all together or in two groups of three, but because the different sets were sent to different reviewers, that'd be a bit of a logistical nightmare.

The blue eyes on Pohatu are odd since all the other images of his animated self still has them yellow. But his arms are unchanged in the animation, so I'd say that's just a mistake in the comic.

The Protector of Stone set has Tr. Flu. Green arms and Tr. Light Blue eyes, so it's conceivable that the eyes of an earlier version of the Pohatu set might also have had Tr. Flu. Green arms and Tr. Light Blue eyes.

Edited by Aanchir

That's not Adrenaline Mode. Adrenaline Mode is when he converts his shield into his skis (or the secondary, mobility-oriented function of any of the Toa's weapons). The "Powered Up" mode is something completely different.

It annoys me a bit that this isn't mentioned in more product descriptions, because I keep seeing people confusing the meaning of that term.

My apologies. I seem to always get the two different modes confused, like you mentioned.

My apologies. I seem to always get the two different modes confused, like you mentioned.

Yeah, it's understandable. Maybe when the actual shop.LEGO.com product descriptions (the ones with bullet points describing the sets' features individually) go up, they'll mention it more explicitly. As it is, only Tahu's product description refers to adrenalin mode by name.

I'm sure the LEGO shop descriptions will make more of a distinction; they always have five billion bullet points devoted to elaboration like that.

Because we didn't have instructions when either of those reviews were posted. The LEGO Group only sent copies of the instructions to reviewers a little over two weeks ago, and those instructions weren't available to the public until last Thursday.

Updating the reviews to include that info would be a little bit of a chore and a lot of people who are specifically watching for new reviews wouldn't even see them. That's one of the perils of video reviews in particular — updating them after-the-fact is both difficult and largely ineffective.

black_six_combo_model.png

un.jpg

Honestly, video reviews are tricky. If BZPower only did video reviews, I'd agree to an extent. I don't fully agree with what you said considering these barely count as combination models at all and BZP specializes in text-based reviews (something I'd like to get into). The Power-Ups are seemingly easy to figure out, as shown on this site considering VBBN managed them all fine, Kopaka's included. Maybe not at time of release, but that's because he didn't have the Protectors yet, as most did not anyways. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's entirely a bad thing Black Six made that review and all, it's just perplexing as to why it couldn't have been done earlier considering these are incredibly simple modifications to make.

All in all.... Ok.

-Eljay

black_six_combo_model.png

un.jpg

Honestly, video reviews are tricky. If BZPower only did video reviews, I'd agree to an extent. I don't fully agree with what you said considering these barely count as combination models at all and BZP specializes in text-based reviews (something I'd like to get into). The Power-Ups are seemingly easy to figure out, as shown on this site considering VBBN managed them all fine, Kopaka's included. Maybe not at time of release, but that's because he didn't have the Protectors yet, as most did not anyways. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's entirely a bad thing Black Six made that review and all, it's just perplexing as to why it couldn't have been done earlier considering these are incredibly simple modifications to make.

All in all.... Ok.

-Eljay

Eh...Did people actually WANT a review of Kopaka's Power-Up Mode from BZP? I honestly don't understand why they didn't just review a set they haven't reviewed yet, instead of that 7 minute clip that would've taken as little as 2-3 mins in the original Kopaka rev. But alas, I guess they just wanted to do it for "whatever"'s sake.

All in all.... Ok.

-Eljay

Kopaka's is by far the least simple of the "power up" models, since it involves almost entirely rebuilding his spear. It'd take some real thinking to figure it out from the photos alone (though in fairness, maybe I could have figured it out without too much difficulty if I had the Protector of Ice, since at least I'd have a clearer sense of what parts I was working with).

It doesn't help to know that SOME of the "power up" models actually contradict the images in the instructions. Specifically, the photo in Lewa's instructions omits the vines/sensor tails on his feet. So in hindsight, it could have been a bit irresponsible and hasty to claim to "review" the models based on that sort of inconclusive guesswork.

Eh...Did people actually WANT a review of Kopaka's Power-Up Mode from BZP? I honestly don't understand why they didn't just review a set they haven't reviewed yet, instead of that 7 minute clip that would've taken as little as 2-3 mins in the original Kopaka rev. But alas, I guess they just wanted to do it for "whatever"'s sake.

It's not an either/or thing. The other sets are with other reviewers, so if those sets' reviews are not ready yet, then making this review doesn't delay them in any way, and not making this review wouldn't have made them ready any sooner. It's not for "whatever"'s sake, it's because it's something they didn't cover and couldn't cover in the original reviews of those two sets, unless they had chosen not to post the set reviews at all until the combi instructions were available. And nobody knew how long that might take until LEGO actually sent them to reviewers two weeks ago.

Edited by Aanchir

Kopaka's is by far the least simple of the "power up" models, since it involves almost entirely rebuilding his spear. It'd take some real thinking to figure it out from the photos alone (though in fairness, maybe I could have figured it out without too much difficulty if I had the Protector of Ice, since at least I'd have a clearer sense of what parts I was working with).

It doesn't help to know that SOME of the "power up" models actually contradict the images in the instructions. Specifically, the photo in Lewa's instructions omits the vines/sensor tails on his feet. So in hindsight, it could have been a bit irresponsible and hasty to claim to "review" the models based on that sort of inconclusive guesswork.

It isn't rocket surgery or brain science to figure out the contradictions between the images of the instructions you see in the sets actual instructions and mere CGI images. Bionicle fans have always been rather adept at figuring these things out considering we're so used to CGI trickery. And I must stress, VBBN seemed to manage alright. It seems rather straight forward.

Kind of like TTV's earlier "reviews".

Speaking of errors, Lewa's shoulders look rather cold, and I actually like Zatth's modification to Gali, don't you? :P

-Eljay

Did anybody actually grab the full Okoto map from the site? It'd be lovely to have the thing as a whole image. So much detail...

So not to retread an already discussed topic, but man... the suspense for Prophecy of Heroes info is killing me. I wonder if it actually aired at all; you'd think some people would be talking about it by now.

I know BioniFigs has a review of him/her. At least, the photos are on Brickshelf here.

Yup, the review is here. BTW, we have all the reviews on BF, except the Protector of Fire one. We'll probably have to wait a couple days to have it, though, because _shaddow_, who writes the reviews, is at the Convention (with the sets).

Yup, the review is here. BTW, we have all the reviews on BF, except the Protector of Fire one. We'll probably have to wait a couple days to have it, though, because _shaddow_, who writes the reviews, is at the Convention (with the sets).

Is it possible to get the review in English?

You can use google, or any similar website to translate. Or you can wait for VBBN's review.

Did anybody actually grab the full Okoto map from the site? It'd be lovely to have the thing as a whole image. So much detail...

Assuming you're talking about the CGI-ish one, it was in the NYCC slides.

I think we should wait a few days, the Convention takes place at a (big) Lego exhibition, and there are certainly thousands of visitors, so I think they're quite busy and don't have time to upload videos / pictures right now. :wink:

And yet people were able to upload stuff during the NYCC...