Yeah, instead of back armour I'd really have preferred elbows. The arms on the PoF are miserable. I can't get over how bad they look in person.

Check my previous model, elbows added and slight extension of legs to balance it. Chi Cragger 2014 has the necessary small ball and socket joint...ordered mine from amazon.

I might keep the thrusted chest, I have to see how those new pieces fit in hand before I know for sure.

Protector of Ice has a nice collared design that only works with normal torso. Its impressive, because you can tell much thought went into the designs by the constraints they pose to modding.

Edited by Rayskull

Yeah, instead of back armour I'd really have preferred elbows. The arms on the PoF are miserable. I can't get over how bad they look in person.

Yeah, I can see how the designers might have needed to cut out the elbows for cost reasons on the Protector of Ice, but Protector of Fire is honestly one of the Protectors that needs them most, since his shoulders are raised higher than most of the others. And also, despite his beefy torso build, it's a bit of surprise the Protector of Fire needed that kind of cost-cutting, since he already has some of the shortest legs and smallest weapons of all the Protectors.

I must concur, specifically with what Aanchir said in his reply. I've seen photos of PoF here and there, and yeah, the arms aren't good and look awful without elbows. I don't see why Lego cut off elbow joints for any of them personally, all of them could've had elbows. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I assume.

You can add me to the list of people that just can't get over the Fire Potector's arms. What really gets me though is that it's such an easy fix - I bought a couple of extra 2014 Chima Ultrabuilds for these and I'll most likely use them to give the gift of elbows to the Fire Protector (and if I have any left over, I'll probably swap the black 3M bones out in the legs as well).

I'll probably do the same with the Ice Protector but with trans-light blue bones. But Fire Protector is the one that really needs the modifications :wink:

What really gets me though is that it's such an easy fix

I think that's one of the things that gets me as well, along with others. Lego could have used one of these and the arms would have most likely ended up looking better. It's a matter of opinion though, because these smallest CCBS bones can also make the arms a tad too long. But it will only bother those who are OCD about proportions.

I think that's one of the things that gets me as well, along with others. Lego could have used one of these and the arms would have most likely ended up looking better. It's a matter of opinion though, because these smallest CCBS bones can also make the arms a tad too long. But it will only bother those who are OCD about proportions.

The fact that it's such an easy fix is what makes me fairly certain that it had less to do with design intent and more to do with cost. The Protector of Ice, for instance, has three of the rather bulky piston detail piece rather than just two like the Protectors of Jungle and Stone Protectors or one like the Protectors of Fire and Water. He also has a rather substantial weapon in each hand. If the designers hadn't cut costs by removing his lower arms, I imagine they would have had to do so in a different way, such as eliminating his back armor or removing the piston shell details from both shoulders. And in fairness, the Protector of Ice doesn't really need longer arms as badly as the Protector of Fire does, because his shoulders aren't raised up the same way

The Protector of Fire is a bit more of a puzzle. He doesn't have a tremendously high piece count like the Protector of Stone, nor are his weapons as bulky as those of the Protector of Ice — though in fairness, he does have three of them (two swords and a shoulder-mounted blaster). And while he doesn't have back armor, his shells are greater in size, number, and variety than those of the Protector of Earth (four Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange 4M shells, two Silver Metallic 4M shells, and one Bright Red 5M shell instead of just six black 4M shells).

The fact that it's such an easy fix is what makes me fairly certain that it had less to do with design intent and more to do with cost. The Protector of Ice, for instance, has three of the rather bulky piston detail piece rather than just two like the Protectors of Jungle and Stone Protectors or one like the Protectors of Fire and Water. He also has a rather substantial weapon in each hand. If the designers hadn't cut costs by removing his lower arms, I imagine they would have had to do so in a different way, such as eliminating his back armor or removing the piston shell details from both shoulders. And in fairness, the Protector of Ice doesn't really need longer arms as badly as the Protector of Fire does, because his shoulders aren't raised up the same way

The Protector of Fire is a bit more of a puzzle. He doesn't have a tremendously high piece count like the Protector of Stone, nor are his weapons as bulky as those of the Protector of Ice — though in fairness, he does have three of them (two swords and a shoulder-mounted blaster). And while he doesn't have back armor, his shells are greater in size, number, and variety than those of the Protector of Earth (four Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange 4M shells, two Silver Metallic 4M shells, and one Bright Red 5M shell instead of just six black 4M shells).

Ya know, I never saw it that way before. Good points. You may just be correct, and it may just be because of the price/cost of things.

okay, I tried again, still wanting to use the Protection of Fire chest build, but now with more compact shoulders and a mount for shell behind the neck. Color coded because of slight complexity. I think you'll like it.version_3.png

Bricklinked the rotor piece (very rare)

Edited by Rayskull

okay, I tried again, still wanting to use the Protection of Fire chest build, but now with more compact shoulders and a mount for shell behind the neck. Color coded because of slight complexity. I think you'll like it.

Ooh - I'm not sure about everybody else, but I like it for sure. Definitely saving this image for future use.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

okay, I tried again, still wanting to use the Protection of Fire chest build, but now with more compact shoulders and a mount for shell behind the neck. Color coded because of slight complexity. I think you'll like it.version_3.png

Looks good, but is the axle on the bottom there because it has to be? Or is it there for extra CCBS shell attachment or for extra Technic to go there?

in the animation and such the PoF doesn't seem to have any wider shoulders than the others. I'd say he has elbows, but on the set shoulders arejust rised up, which is silly. but explains that he has elbows.

Edited by GK733

Looks good, but is the axle on the bottom there because it has to be? Or is it there for extra CCBS shell attachment or for extra Technic to go there?

It was an unnecessary axle. Here this is more like it:

version_4.png

I already ordered the parts and tested for rigidity. Seems fine,

I intend to put those new bionicle add-on armors in white over the upper arms and chest.

The essential part is the Technic rotor I see only light bluish grey or pearl grey on Bricklink unfortunately.

the_build.png

Edited by Rayskull

It was an unnecessary axle. Here this is more like it:

version_4.png

I already ordered the parts and tested for rigidity. Seems fine,

I intend to put those new bionicle add-on armors in white over the upper arms and chest.

The essential part is the Technic rotor I see only light bluish grey or pearl grey on Bricklink unfortunately.

the_build.png

That is, indeed, quite a shame. I HAD 2 Technic Rotor parts, but they both broke somehow (I got them from Axalara T9, so I blame the bad 08 plastic). I think it might've been better using hordika necks instead of glatorian necks though.

That is, indeed, quite a shame. I HAD 2 Technic Rotor parts, but they both broke somehow (I got them from Axalara T9, so I blame the bad 08 plastic). I think it might've been better using hordika necks instead of glatorian necks though.

What do you mean by Hordika vs Glatorian necks?

I ordered 4 of the rotor parts, (the pearl grey and the light bluish gray) is Bluish gray newer than 08?

Wow the Axalara T9 is Amazing! I wasn't into Bionicle at the time, clearly I was missing out....of course I didn't have a good job either.

...After further fiddling not so sturdy after all. That was my best shot though. I'll enjoy the original P-Fire design and I'll Focus on improving the weapons in the P-Ice set. Forgive my obsessive compulsiveness.

Edited by Rayskull

Hordika necks are at a slant, what he means is that they could be used to "level" the shoulders and give the arms a wider range of posability.

Anyway, VBBN, in your next reviews could you take pictures of the Instruction manual/box (if you still have those) comics?

Bricklinked the rotor piece (very rare)

That's gorgeous.

That's gorgeous.

Works well enough unless you like to pose your model a lot. The problem is the rotor won't fit doubled up so I had to use another half width lift arm, this leaves the neck sockets (I'm learning) to be secured with technic cross pins (the blue, half swivel half cross pin, would secure it better but no room for that because I can't double the technic rotor). That leaves it secure but with a tiny bit of space in its connection to the rotor which after repeated posing will lead to it loosening. But yeah I was initially super satisfied with that. Pushing the arms back one plate would be a solution, but looks not well proportioned.

Has anyone built the base skeleton from scratch? I think I'll give that a shot.

Edited by Rayskull

Reviews are now live for Protector of Fire and Pohatu

Next up

15790673092_e205a9f2ef_b.jpg

15169920323_4ec5dcaf07_b.jpg

Anyway, VBBN, in your next reviews could you take pictures of the Instruction manual/box (if you still have those) comics?

I'll take photos of all of the comic images once I have finished up the reviews.

Ooh, I'm not sure what it is, but LoSS looks great in that pic. Looking forward to the review.

That photo of LOSS in that pose... suddenly my interest in that set has peaked again based on that one pose. Now suddenly it's gone from derpy to rather menacing for me. Good job with the pose VBBN :thumbup:

I look forward to the next batch of reviews in that case.

Hey chuds, BZP's review of the Protector of Earth is up. It's WAY cooler than appears to be on the box.

Edited by MonkeyChud

Oh look, LOSS! He is... ok..ish. His colour scheme is awesome though. And dayum, look at that Lewa!

And I love how Nuparu Whenua Protetctor of Earth looks. Really, I like them all (except maybe P. of Stone, still not sure about his colour scheme, I really need to see it in person). It's certainly the best "Matoran" design ever for me, it's great to see a design that brings some variation AND looks clean and consistent among the characters using it.

I'm not sure how many of these I'll pick up (the Toa are my priority, and I still think 10 Euro is a bit too much for these guys), but I really want to build a bunch of villagers like these, like Jaller's team for example. I wish we got recolours of the Toa masks though!