My plan is to get 6 sets in one go from S@H; Tahu, Gali, Pohatu, Lewa, the Protector of Stone and the Protector of Earth. I'll pick up any others that I may want elsewhere.

Theorizing time! Makuta gets all the Masks of Power, hope seems dim, Toa defeat him anyway, Ekimu wakes up and his mother screams at him for sleeping in and they all live happily ever after before Ekimu crafts the Vahi and a magical enemy plot device appears.

The only ones I don't like are:

Onua,

Pohatu,

Protector of water (good part pack though),

Protector of rock (looks good but don't like the color combo)

I must have....in order:

Protector of Ice

Protector of Fire

Lewa (shoulder build and silver talons)

Gali (the silver fins have uses as wings)

Protector of water (maybe)

Edited by Rayskull

I'll probably get 'em all in one go. But Protector of Stone and Pohatu will be the first I build.

After them, I have no idea. I guess whoever I want to play with.

I am planning to put Breakout torsos on Tahu and Lewa, I had no idea that there were any issues with it and the Superhero chest. I still don't see any issues after sticking them together IRL.

I don't believe there are any actual connection issues (after all, the Iron Man constraction set and the Core Hunter set both used them together). Though I personally don't think the combination looks quite as nice as with the 2.0 or Brain Attack torso shell. Especially since the width of the chest plate makes the extremely narrow hips of the Breakout torso shell that much more apparent.

You're definitely welcome to try this out yourself once the sets are out. I don't think there should be any connection problems, so it's purely a matter of how you like the aesthetics.

Edited by Aanchir

I'll probably get 'em all in one go.

Same here. :grin:

man, wish I could afford to do that. :tongue:

Anyway, onua, tahu, LoSS, and Protector of stone are the first ones I'll be getting. And maybe protector of air along with them too. I'll have to see a review to be sure. (Hint hint VBBN)

Anyway, onua, tahu, LoSS, and Protector of stone are the first ones I'll be getting. And maybe protector of air along with them too. I'll have to see a review to be sure. (Hint hint VBBN)

I can barely afford it, but I'm still going to buy all of them also. But alas...It'll cost me a few games.

Edited by MonkeyChud

I could barely afford it

YUP!,

for me is about 8 months till I can get my hands on at least one or two sets... but I'm really looking foward to get at least some six, because, well, profit...

Edited by Xeros610

I don't believe there are any actual connection issues (after all, the Iron Man constraction set and the Core Hunter set both used them together). Though I personally don't think the combination looks quite as nice as with the 2.0 or Brain Attack torso shell. Especially since the width of the chest plate makes the extremely narrow hips of the Breakout torso shell that much more apparent.

You're definitely welcome to try this out yourself once the sets are out. I don't think there should be any connection problems, so it's purely a matter of how you like the aesthetics.

I'm going to go ahead with my mod, as I think it will look pretty good, and it will finally give me a use for the torso shell from the Joker ultrabuild.

I'm personally gonna try and go for all of them. Ones high on my list however include Gali, Kopaka, Pohatu, Protector of Earth, and Tahu. In no particular order. Although, I feel as though all these sets are pretty good.

Hey guys: how worth it would it be to get the exclusive, translucent Tahu mask from NYCC?

A decent price seems to be anywhere between 20-30 dollars.

Yes, I've seen, but - is it actually worth it?

It really depends on if you want one or not. I'd like one myself, but it's not exactly something everyone MUST get, if you know what I mean?

It's entirely up to you, but I myself think it's a swell mask.

I think it's a fun little collectible, I didn't mind shelling out nearly twice that for it. Given the new head molds, I think it'll be neat to see what people can come up with in the future; maybe use some trans shell pieces from HF to make an all-transparent figure? That kind of thing. If you're tapped into BZP's goings on, they'll probably be giving away plenty over the next few years, so you can always wait for that.

(I think the Trans-orange Haus would probably fit a Tahu figure better, but DV is hoarding those the lucky bugger)

Yes, I've seen, but - is it actually worth it?

Depends on how much you want it. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I spent $80 on the SDCC-exclusive Unikitty. But Unikitty is one of my favorite characters of all time and I didn't buy it as an investment (e.g. to resell), so I for one think I got my money's worth.

Typically exclusives like that mask tend to drop in price for a short period of time after they're given away, but then rise in price steadily as the years pass. So it might be worth it to buy sooner rather than later. But on the other hand, sites like BZP have a decent number of masks that they're saving for future giveaways, so buying one isn't going to be your only option for the near future.

If you want it but are having trouble justifying the purchase, try to think in terms of what $30 is worth to you. Do you work a job where you can earn that much in a couple of days? Do you indulge in any expensive habits like eating out frequently that you could refrain from for a while? Can you save more money on your typical expenses by waiting for sales on the things you want or clipping coupons for the things you need? I've found that framing a purchase in that way can help you overcome sticker shock and can help you recoup the losses from a purchase so long as you follow through with the sacrifices you pledge to make.

Edited by Lyichir

Now that quite a few reviewers have gotten the new sets, I would like to revisit the question, how well do the new masks work with older head types? I've been told they are incompatible with Glatorian heads due to their length, but have heard that the Brain Attack heads can -albeit a bit floppily- wear the new masks. Can this be confirmed? If so, how ineffective is the connection to the Brain Attack heads?

Looking at all the extra masks these new sets have, it would be a shame if they did not have some backwards-compatibility.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

The only reason I'd want one would be so I can have a representation of the Spectral Mask from Journey of Takanuva.

Because I'm absolutely obsessed with that artwork.

But otherwise, I can't seem to get myself to shell out that much for a mask. But that's just me.

The defender masks are much more interesting than the clear mask. It doesn't look all that great attached either.

Edited by Rayskull

Okay so I think the gold skull spider mask is the mask of control. By the looks of the mini comic Loss is using it to summon all the skull spiders.

Now that quite a few reviewers have gotten the new sets, I would like to revisit the question, how well do the new masks work with older head types? I've been told they are incompatible with Glatorian heads due to their length, but have heard that the Brain Attack heads can -albeit a bit floppily- wear the new masks. Can this be confirmed? If so, how ineffective is the connection to the Brain Attack heads?

Looking at all the extra masks these new sets have, it would be a shame if they did not have some backwards-compatibility.

Yes, the new masks work with the Brain Attack heads and not with the Glatorian heads. They pivot freely on the Brain Attack heads with little-to-no friction, although if the Brain Attack head is oriented vertically (with the clip on the back of the head, as most of the sets used it), the "chin" should keep most masks from flopping down too far (not gonna bother testing all of them). They fit more securely on a classic Y-joint (the old, rectangular style) because the bevels that keep the masks from flopping around on the new heads work just as well with the straight edge of the Y-joint. The same applies to HF fists, since the straight edge of the fingers will hold them in place with little-to-no flopping. They flop around more on the Glatorian fist due to the rounded fingers of that part not holding the mask in place.

Another part that the new masks attach to, greatly increasing their versatility, is the standard 2M black or grey Technic pin. Because the masks can snap to that piece, you can construct any number of custom heads or mounts for the mask. So long as the edge next to the pin is flat (like on a 1x1 Technic brick, for example), the mask should not flop around much, either.

Another part that the new masks attach to, greatly increasing their versatility, is the standard 2M black or grey Technic pin. Because the masks can snap to that piece, you can construct any number of custom heads or mounts for the mask. So long as the edge next to the pin is flat (like on a 1x1 Technic brick, for example), the mask should not flop around much, either.

Whaaaaaa??? Mind=Blown

Seriously. That's sweet. I absolutely love how these masks aren't completely useless without the new head.

I applaud you, Lego. Good job.