On the subject of Ekimu and Makuta possibly being Protector-sized builds with gearboxes, I recall something I found on Brickshelf yesterday...

maracamaster-gearbox-02.jpg

maracamaster-gearbox-03.jpg

Now while this gearbox is really no different in size to those used on the Toa, I still think (with axles that short at the shoulders) that it'd work nicely with the "XT4" style of torso bone. Granted, the character would have very raised shoulders... Which I guess ties in with those blocky shoulders on Ekimu and Makuta. Those could be new molds, similar in form and function to the armour pieces which premiered with Kalmah and Carapar in 2007's Barraki line. These parts could be connected to the shoulder axles on the gearbox, and in turn have ball joints for the arms connected to them.

I might have a go at mocking up what I mean when I get access to my parts later tonight. If I don't feel free to bug me on Tumblr about it :P

Ninja Edit: Gearbox from here

Edited by LewiMOC

Personally I think the shadowed mask in the background of the website teaser pic looks a lot like the MoCo, but since the MoUP was pointedly hidden in the animations, it could be that too.

Plus, suddenly evil spiders attacking, and face-hugging mind control likely. Sounds like a Mask of Control behind that.

But, again, it's all just speculation.

...how does it look like the MoCo? It barely fits the look in the animation, and the MoCo is gold even at the end of the trailer. The MoUP however, was shown to be black throughout the entire thing (bonus points for red eyes)

On the subject of Ekimu and Makuta possibly being Protector-sized builds with gearboxes, I recall something I found on Brickshelf yesterday...

Now while this gearbox is really no different in size to those used on the Toa, I still think (with axles that short at the shoulders) that it'd work nicely with the "XT4" style of torso bone. Granted, the character would have very raised shoulders... Which I guess ties in with those blocky shoulders on Ekimu and Makuta. Those could be new molds, similar in form and function to the armour pieces which premiered with Kalmah and Carapar in 2007's Barraki line. These parts could be connected to the shoulder axles on the gearbox, and in turn have ball joints for the arms connected to them.

I might have a go at mocking up what I mean when I get access to my parts later tonight. If I don't feel free to bug me on Tumblr about it :P

Like Aanchir just said—the actual new gearbox would work perfectly, and the resulting proportions (even with the same axle lengths used on Toa Pohatu and Lewa) would actually be identical to the Protector of Fire's. There's no need for the convoluted solution there, or for narrower, less secure shoulders like the gearbox you posted has.

Literally all you have to do is take off the back construction of the Protector of Fire and slap on a Toa-styled gearbox. Don't see why anyone sees fit to make that more complicated than it is.

...how does it look like the MoCo? It barely fits the look in the animation, and the MoCo is gold even at the end of the trailer. The MoUP however, was shown to be black throughout the entire thing (bonus points for red eyes)

Obviously the color is different, we're talking a potential corrupted version. And nobody actually knows what the MoUP looks like because it was completely obscured by energy; the only defining points are the rectangular amoeba juttings that do not seem to fit the aesthetic of the curved mask shown in the teaser, which instead appears to have heavy brows very similar to to the ones seen on the Mask of Control.

It remains to be seen what the mask we see in the teaser image is (plot twist, it's a 2016 spoiler!), but it's not completely out of the question for that to be the MoCo.

People want it to be more complicated because they don't want Ekimu to be Protector-sized. It's incredibly anti-climactic, but with all the current evidence if we do see Ekimu in a set any time soon unless he morphs into a giant robot turns into a Toa, there's nothing to suggest the design would change. To be honest, I don't really care actually what size he is. If we see a Titan that has two characters to fight that isn't comprised of Mechs/scaled down I'm perfectly fine with it. People are just elaborating on what they want the most out of this.

My personal opinion: As long as the parts have MOCability I'll be perfectly fine with it. If I can spray paint a MoCr (jk, don't worry :tongue: ) and use two of them combined with two head pieces and make a functioning bear trap, I'll be okay :grin:

edit: to clarify, not a real bear trap.

EDIT 2:

Obviously the color is different, we're talking a potential corrupted version. And nobody actually knows what the MoUP looks like because it was completely obscured by energy; the only defining points are the rectangular amoeba juttings that do not seem to fit the aesthetic of the curved mask shown in the teaser, which instead appears to have heavy brows very similar to to the ones seen on the Mask of Control.

It remains to be seen what the mask we see in the teaser image is (plot twist, it's a 2016 spoiler!), but it's not completely out of the question for that to be the MoCo.

We're not going to see a "corrupted" version of the MoCo. Period. There is no evidence whatsoever to support the idea that masks can be corrupted, and to my knowldege in the old canon you couldn't just go around infecting every Kanohi with Makuta's presence. The little that we have seen of either mask points only, at this point in time, to the MoUP. We never saw the MoCo again in the teaser until the very end (when it's shown just as it had been prior), and the MoUP's smoke is just a special effect designed to make the mask look spooky, and to hide the design until they're ready to unveil it. Furthermore, this mask is the one more associated with Makuta's "evil" form, and it makes a lot more sense to use it like that. Sort of like Baron Typhonus' Maelstrom-infected eyes appearing in LEGO Universe promos everywhere.

Edited by JayWalker

Best. MOC. Ever. This needs to become a set. :laugh:

Here's what Ekimu could look like with a gearbox :

15678276646_d6421a5a61_o.png

I'm actually ok with ekimu being a small set. To me that says cheaper mask of Creation. :tongue:

But I'm sure lego will find a way to amp the price.

Ladies, gentlemen, and biomechanical whatnots:

THIS IS OUR NEW ANNIVERSARY EDITION VEZON REMAKE!

And to arc: Yeah Ekimu + Makuta(uninfected) double set like Norik+Iruini where in this case Ekimu(instead of Norik) can only be obtained in this box set.

And to arc: Yeah Ekimu + Makuta(uninfected) double set like Norik+Iruini where in this case Ekimu(instead of Norik) can only be obtained in this box set.

Norik's arbitrary exclusivity was dumb. I would rather have them packaged together in one set as two exclusives (ala Mutran and Vican) and have a seperate possessed Makuta (ala the rest of the Phantoka).

Best. MOC. Ever. This needs to become a set. :laugh:

Ekimu

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the set used 4M shells instead of 3M shells. You can compare his animated counterpart with the animated counterpart of the Protector of Fire. Animated shells look 3M, but the ones in the set use 4M. Also, if his torso is in fact built like that of the Protector of Fire, the torso shell should just be attached directly to the torso beam.

Of course, that image of the Protector of Fire also shows us that there are some things we CAN'T anticipate based on the animations alone, due to good old fashioned creative license. The actual Protector of Fire set doesn't have forearms, but the animated version does.

Also, if his torso is in fact built like that of the Protector of Fire, the torso shell should just be attached directly to the torso beam.

The gearbox makes it impossible, unless I attach it one stud higher, but I fear it would be too high : the shoulders are currently aligned with the neck, so if I rise the gearbox, the shoulders will sit higher than the neck. And it might cause problems to attach the head : the eyepiece wouldn't fit. But they still could choose not to put an eyepiece, though. But I find it unlikely. Or they could use a 3M bone just like on Onua.

Edited by Leewan

We're not going to see a "corrupted" version of the MoCo. Period. There is no evidence whatsoever to support the idea that masks can be corrupted, and to my knowldege in the old canon you couldn't just go around infecting every Kanohi with Makuta's presence. The little that we have seen of either mask points only, at this point in time, to the MoUP. We never saw the MoCo again in the teaser until the very end (when it's shown just as it had been prior), and the MoUP's smoke is just a special effect designed to make the mask look spooky, and to hide the design until they're ready to unveil it. Furthermore, this mask is the one more associated with Makuta's "evil" form, and it makes a lot more sense to use it like that. Sort of like Baron Typhonus' Maelstrom-infected eyes appearing in LEGO Universe promos everywhere.

How can you say that with absolute certainty since you have already admitted that there isn't any evidence? Makuta himself was corrupted; we saw that. All three masks were scattered across the island. In terms of colors, yes, the MoUP is the only one that fits. But if they ever intend to introduce a Mask of Control, it would more than likely be on a Makuta set, and if they don't show an uncorrupted version (which you were insisting there wouldn't be a few pages back...?), then this would be the place. It would be incredibly unlikely for a black Makuta set to include a gold mask.

You say they're hiding the MoUP to reveal it later; it could just as easily be because they haven't actually finalized a design and are intending to do so in the future for a longer arc, somewhat like the Ignika, and they only reason they're showing us the MoCo is because they have already finished it, and will introduce the piece later.

Lack of evidence doesn't support any one idea over the other; we're just spitballing some speculation, here.

GUUUUUUYS:

really like the cardboard canister thingies they have going on, although I'm a little worried about how well they balance.

Excitement! Can't wait for the reviews.

The packaging looks pretty good. I believe this is our first time seeing it, and I really do like it.

Can't wait to see the sets hit shelves. It seems they're ready to hit retail. It's only a matter of time now.

Edited by Kalhiki

Dang, that worries me a bit. I just spent most of my paycheck today so I won't be able to buy most of the sets if they come out early this month--maybe like all the Toa and that's all until December.

Dang, that worries me a bit. I just spent most of my paycheck today so I won't be able to buy most of the sets if they come out early this month--maybe like all the Toa and that's all until December.

I don't expect them to come much earlier than December anyway, but I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

GUUUUUUYS:

Well, getting a quick glimpse of the combiners. Seems they match the same design as Tahu. Now, i'm even more curious about the protectors

GUUUUUUYS:

Great video, short and sweet. I was hoping he'd actually unbox (open) the sets, though. I'm curious to see as to how they open; hopefully they leave most of the artwork intact. They'd make for nice displays.

Great video, short and sweet. I was hoping he'd actually unbox (open) the sets, though. I'm curious to see as to how they open; hopefully they leave most of the artwork intact. They'd make for nice displays.

I bet that these (gorgeous) boxes pop open at the top, as I don't really see how they'd open from the side. I'm also glad to see that I was wrong in my idea that they are modified versions of the Speedorz packaging.

How can you say that with absolute certainty since you have already admitted that there isn't any evidence? Makuta himself was corrupted; we saw that. All three masks were scattered across the island. In terms of colors, yes, the MoUP is the only one that fits. But if they ever intend to introduce a Mask of Control, it would more than likely be on a Makuta set, and if they don't show an uncorrupted version (which you were insisting there wouldn't be a few pages back...?), then this would be the place. It would be incredibly unlikely for a black Makuta set to include a gold mask.

You say they're hiding the MoUP to reveal it later; it could just as easily be because they haven't actually finalized a design and are intending to do so in the future for a longer arc, somewhat like the Ignika, and they only reason they're showing us the MoCo is because they have already finished it, and will introduce the piece later.

Lack of evidence doesn't support any one idea over the other; we're just spitballing some speculation, here.

The heck are you even talking about now? Did we suddenly swap bodies?

"and if they don't show an uncorrupted version"

Wait, what? They've never shown a corrupted version in the first place, which is what I've been arguing the entire time. There is no evidence, whatsoever, to support the idea that we will ever get a corrupted version of the Mask of Control. That's the long and the short of it at this point in time. Makuta was not wearing the Mask of Control when he put on the Mask of Ultimate Power, it was not corrupted. Even at the end of the trailer, it is shown in the condition we saw it throughout the trailer. They only used the effect on the MoUP to make it look scary and freaky, like the Overlord Walker in NINJAGO. I have said this before, and I will say it again: The Mask of Ultimate Power is the only known mask to fit the description of the shadowy mask in the background of the promos we've seen. This is a common tactic used to clearly show the villain, we understand that the MoUP is the face of villainy and thus the only one to logically show unless a new mask is revealed.

Also, in a court room, if there is no evidence to convict someone of murder, the person will not be jailed or fined. This is the same situation (except no one died). There is no evidence to support the idea that the mask in the promos is a corrupted MoCo, and there IS evidence to support that it's the MoUP.

TL;DR: There is no evidence to support the idea that the MoCo was corrupted with Makuta.

Anyway, I like that BZP is doing an unboxing, but they probably should have done a mini-review of the box too.

edit: good grief how did I miss them looking over it?

Edited by JayWalker

TL;DR: There is no evidence to support the idea that the MoCo was corrupted with Makuta.

The shadowy face in the background here certainly supports the idea. It matches what we saw of the Mask of Control in the animation, and is clearly black in an image comprised of renders of official products. I really want the Makuta set to be gold and purple, but I don't find it particularly likely thanks to this. All things considered, LEGO very likely would be remiss to make a purple and gold main villain that isn't very clearly 'evil' in his appearance.

Maybe the Makuta set will include both a black and gold Mask of Control, a la the current scheme with the Master sets. That way it would be possible to MOC a version of Makuta pre-corruption.