As for new parts, there are the two masks (duh) and the shoulder armour.

Nah, no new mold for shoulder armour

15369.jpg

Actually Ekimu has a gear on his back in the animation and the protectors in the animation pics of the NYCC presentation don't have. This could mean that the Mask Makers indeed have gear functions. I really hope we get Makuta and Ekimu in the same set.

I think we could except they have the gearbox connected into the protector torso.

Good eye on the shoulder armor. Makes me all the more glad I bought an imported CHI Fluminox for the parts; I might be able to make an Ekimu MOC, sans mask.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

GREAT EYE! Could it be that Ekimu and Makuta are slightly bigger Protectors with a gearbox build? Like (set-wise) Protector/Master hybrids. The mechanism does go nicely with their hammers, and this way kids can replicate Ekimu's mask knocking off attack.

My point is, I'm not the first to point out this but we might be looking at a "Voltix" case here- Summer sets getting spoiled via animated videos, months before we find actual pictures of the sets themselves.

Not only do I agree with you Shakar, I asked a while back does anyone think there is going to be combiner versions of the protectors like they are for Masters. Thanks to your suggestions and GK733 point on the chima shoulder armor. I believe you can make these guys pretty accurately. The MOCs are going to be great!!

On a side note: TTV Bionicle Autopsy are awesome, I hope whoever makes them keeps them up. Like I would like one about the Sharing or Evolution of technic pieces through the line, or one about the growth of Hero Factory.

This is also a side note: I hope TLG pulls out one more year of chima builds. That ball chest piece was genius for the line

Edited by Mr. Gundam

As for new parts, there are the two masks (duh) and the shoulder armour.

The MoC already has a mould, so the only new mould would be Makuta's mask (whichever one they choose to make).

I was about to say that it's the Chima armour myself, but then I saw the shapes are a bit different (curved vs straight) and the brothers' armour piece has a vertical line running through. It's probably just stylization, though.

Anyway, as someone theorized a while ago, the brothers could be packed in the same set. "The Legend of Bionicle"? "Ekimu and Makuta"? "Ekimu vs Makuta"? Something to that effect. They're Protector sets minus the miniguns and the Spiders plus a more complex build, so they could be sold as a 20 Euro set, 25 tops if Lego wants to capitalize on the "special edition" effect (which Lego is sometimes guilty of doing).

One might argue that releasing 2/3 of the legendary mask trio in a single set might cheapen them, but if the Mask of Control is the focus of the 2016 story an updated, "corrupted" version of the mask can be released with a evil!Makuta set. So one can have the "pure" version of the MoCo as a collector's item and its (in-story) current corrupted version worn by the main villain.

Not only do I agree with you Shakar, I asked a while back does anyone think there is going to be combiner versions of the protectors like they are for Masters. Thanks to your suggestions and GK733 point on the chima shoulder armor. I believe you can make these guys pretty accurately. The MOCs are going to be great!!

[....]

This is also a side note: I hope TLG pulls out one more year of chima builds. That ball chest piece was genius for the line

Thanks! Well, I'm not sure if there are going to be Protectors combo models or not. We're not even sure if there are going to be combos between the Toa. I hope there are myself- I always appreciate combo models no matter what, they challenge you to come up with new designs.

Yeah, I'd love new Ultrabuilds too, but given what happened with the last ones (cancelled in one of Lego's biggest markets) I'm not sure if there are going to be more of them. Still, I'm not sure of what to think. I used to think they'd cut other constraction lines to go all out with BIONICLE, but if the 5 sets info is correct (and it most likely is) it might be they're keeping some set slots free for non-BIONICLE constraction sets. If anything, Ultrabuilds for Age of Ultron sound more likely, but apparently the 2012 sets were a fiasco.. so without more info I'm not sure what to say really.

Anyway, as someone theorized a while ago, the brothers could be packed in the same set.

I think that may have been me. I like your idea of the alternate versions of the masks as well.

It would be neat to see them together, especially if they're small-ish (between Protector and Master sizes). Someone suggested including vehicles with them, but I'm not sure how keen I would be on that.

On a side note: TTV Bionicle Autopsy are awesome, I hope whoever makes them keeps them up. Like I would like one about the Sharing or Evolution of technic pieces through the line, or one about the growth of Hero Factory.

You could ask Var about that on their upcoming livestream

I hope they don't come with vehicles. To me, it sorta-kinda ruins the whole 'tribal-Aztec" feeling Lego seems to be going for if they add vehicles. Though a beast-vehicle hybrid seems perhaps better? I don't know. I just can't see Ekimu or Makuta riding any sort of vehicle.

As for the exclusivity of the duo, I hope they come with some kinda' new shade of gold (a bronzy-gold?) or something that specifically separates them from a Protector set, besides the builds and the masks.

How bout the legend case (with Ekimu and Makuta as slightly bigger protectors)

Then a large set of black and red Makuta with MoCo year or two later

I'd like that a lot.

I would think to release the larger possessed Makuta with the MoUP, since that is what got him into this mess in the first place.

I just had an idea- since Ekimu and Makuta could be released as special editions, I would like to see them in canisters reminiscent of the 'coffins' in the concept art.

It isn't going to happen. LEGO is done with canisters, even the super-flashy (and incredibly rare) plastic display cases for the Inika. Or at least I assumed those were official, anyway.

It isn't going to happen. LEGO is done with canisters, even the super-flashy (and incredibly rare) plastic display cases for the Inika. Or at least I assumed those were official, anyway.

Yes, I know we haven't seen canisters for three years now and it's a dumb idea. If they do elaborate on it in-story could serve as some sort of role-play element and go along with the 'special edition' feel of the sets though.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

And I thought it was old news about Ekimu's gear. Guess I was wrong. :grin:

Your post probably got buried under the hundreds of pages, maybe during a heated discussion on some other topic. Say, while everyone is talking about topic X, "Lewa" comes out and makes a valid observation about topic Y.. but everyone else is more interested about X, so they don't pay attention to Lewa. Happens to me as well- it's annoying I guess, but there's not much one can do.

I hope they don't come with vehicles. To me, it sorta-kinda ruins the whole 'tribal-Aztec" feeling Lego seems to be going for if they add vehicles. Though a beast-vehicle hybrid seems perhaps better? I don't know. I just can't see Ekimu or Makuta riding any sort of vehicle.

As for the exclusivity of the duo, I hope they come with some kinda' new shade of gold (a bronzy-gold?) or something that specifically separates them from a Protector set, besides the builds and the masks.

Why would you want a new gold shade? That'd destroy the MOCability of the masks. Besides, the Protectors don't have a lick of gold in their colour schemes- only the 3 larger Toa feature gold pieces on their body. Ekimu and Makuta are going to stand out a lot next to the average Protector, even when using a "old" shade .

Agreed on the vehicles, though- I'm not opposed to them in general (a steampunk style could probably be worked into the style of Okoto), but I'd prefer living beings for now. I wouldn't mind "Rahi" I guess, just not on a set like this. Keep it simple, make a 20 Euro set with two cool figures (TRANS PURPLE SHELLS AND EYES) wearing plot relevant masks: it will sell like hotcakes.

This is what I'm thinking, E+M set to introduce the MoCr and the MoCo in plastic form, then a big corrupted!Makuta (either wearing a corrupted MoCo or the MoUP) in summer 2015 or in 2016 so the main villain gets a toy form (instead of waiting 3 years like in G1!).

Regular Warm Gold already separates them from the Protectors just fine, I think, since none of the Protector sets use Warm Gold anywhere in their design.

My brother had already figured out that they use gearboxes like the Toa, but I guess either he didn't mention it here or it got buried.

I also noticed the gear, but I can't remember if I said anything...

More to the point, I feel the inclusion of a gear pretty much confirms we'll get figures of them. Considering all the Protectors in the animation don't have gears on their backs, it would be a really random decision to put them on Ekimu and Makuta unless they had sets that had gearboxes.

How they'd be released, I'm not sure. I do like the idea of a 2-pack, and if they're released as early as the summer (doubt it), it would give us an extra figure in the 5 set lineup.

If they are Protector sized, does the gearbox piece even fit onto the XT4 body?

But are the carton boxes with plastic covers out of option?

http://ecx.images-am...RL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by GK733

Probably. It's not a matter of whether they CAN, because Lego is just as capable of making canisters as they always have been. The matter is whether they WOULD. Lego has been making great strides in terms of environmental awareness, and a lot of that has been through reducing the sizes of boxes and using more environmentally-friendly materials. Making a set slightly more flashy isn't worth squandering the goodwill they've gotten from environmentalist groups, especially since they can just as easily make a special edition package stand out using printing treatments like gold or holographic foil that don't make the packages significantly more costly or significantly less recyclable.

One final thought. I doubt it'd happen until the new theme needs to reinvent its look for another year, but one thing they COULD potentially do in the future would be some sort of multi-layered cardboard packaging. They've done something similar before with the Exo-Force Deep Jungle wave, having a box with cutouts and a diorama-like background behind them. The overall effect was somewhat akin to the effect of the Phantoka packaging with its cave-wall like cover, only without necessitating a useless plastic shell.

Why do people keep saying Corrupted Makuta with the MoCo? He was only corrupted with the MoUP.....

Anyway, I think that a two-pack is likely. I mean, they are WAY too small to be expensive sets on their own, and selling the two most important characters as $12 sets would be kind of.....well, stupid. Personally, I think that they will do a flashback in the mini-episodes, to show the relationship that Ekimu and Makuta had. Maybe, they can be riding beasts, or a rocket or whatever, and they could package them with that?

Honestly, I don't care how they are sold, as long as they use gold, and not YELLOW!!! They already ruined one crazy-important set by using yellow.

I had forgotten how intense Bionicle discussion gets. Everyone hyper-analyzing every little thing. 313 pages already? Whoa. Just like the good-ish old days.

A bit off-topic, but those sets were awesome in the short term, but in the long term I had too much trouble with the boxes. When I had my idea I was thinking something more along the lines of the Slizer canisters: a rectangular box that could slide open.

Probably. It's not a matter of whether they CAN, because Lego is just as capable of making canisters as they always have been. The matter is whether they WOULD. Lego has been making great strides in terms of environmental awareness, and a lot of that has been through reducing the sizes of boxes and using more environmentally-friendly materials. Making a set slightly more flashy isn't worth squandering the goodwill they've gotten from environmentalist groups, especially since they can just as easily make a special edition package stand out using printing treatments like gold or holographic foil that don't make the packages significantly more costly or significantly less recyclable.

One final thought. I doubt it'd happen until the new theme needs to reinvent its look for another year, but one thing they COULD potentially do in the future would be some sort of multi-layered cardboard packaging. They've done something similar before with the Exo-Force Deep Jungle wave, having a box with cutouts and a diorama-like background behind them. The overall effect was somewhat akin to the effect of the Phantoka packaging with its cave-wall like cover, only without necessitating a useless plastic shell.

Thank you Lyichir, I had forgotten about the recent initiative. To be honest I do not like canisters, but my idea was based on the idea of special-edition-ness and that it might be a nice nod to previous Bionicle series. I still might make 'tombs' for them myself.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

I also noticed the gear, but I can't remember if I said anything...

More to the point, I feel the inclusion of a gear pretty much confirms we'll get figures of them. Considering all the Protectors in the animation don't have gears on their backs, it would be a really random decision to put them on Ekimu and Makuta unless they had sets that had gearboxes.

How they'd be released, I'm not sure. I do like the idea of a 2-pack, and if they're released as early as the summer (doubt it), it would give us an extra figure in the 5 set lineup.

If they are Protector sized, does the gearbox piece even fit onto the XT4 body?

Yep, fits just fine! And the shoulders would not need to be any higher or wider than those of the Protector of Fire.

Why do people keep saying Corrupted Makuta with the MoCo? He was only corrupted with the MoUP.....

Well, there's no reason to assume his transformation would have been undone when the mask was removed. Also, I have a feeling that reclaiming his Mask of Control would be easier and more effective than going straight for the Mask of Ultimate Power. Obviously a pre-corruption Makuta set would DEFINITELY have the Mask of Control, but a post-corruption Makuta could realistically have either one.

I doubt we'll see a "pre-corruption" Makuta any time soon. LEGO hasn't done anything like that in recent times, and even some of the more obvious examples (such as the Toa Metru) are from very different situations. That being said, I wouldn't mind getting Makuta like that, seeing as we're probably going to be getting the MoC this year. We're definitely getting MoCr, and we're likely going to get the MoUP too, seeing as how prominent it is in CGI. They've at least got a design for it ready, anyway...

Personally I think the shadowed mask in the background of the website teaser pic looks a lot like the MoCo, but since the MoUP was pointedly hidden in the animations, it could be that too.

Plus, suddenly evil spiders attacking, and face-hugging mind control likely. Sounds like a Mask of Control behind that.

But, again, it's all just speculation.