I hope this means lego's got over its weird urge to add mouths to the characters. They were never necessary.

Edited by Timeline15

So, I'm the only one who dislikes those masks? They reek of being a quick job done in MS Paint (although the overshot lines are still present), and they were clearly saved in .jpeg format creating the splotchy look of them. There's no depth, either. They just look like 2D images with the TV-like eyes of Spiral Knights.

bionicle_2.jpg

That being said, I would rather unprofessional-looking images than this ^

That's what we've been arguing about for the past page or so. The whole "half-a-vahi" comments seem to suggest some sort of link between the two continuities, but Darth Vader, who apparently has advance knowledge of the new story, claims that this is not the case. While I'm still puzzled as to why the fellow at NYCC would have said what he did if he didn't mean to imply a link between the two universes, given the questions that he was apparently asked, DV is not the sort to idly say "There's no connection," so I'm inclined to believe him.

@Tazakk Yay, more emoticons! Thanks!

I'm confused as to why anyone thinks he'd be implying a connection between the canons? In all seriousness, everyone keeps saying "but if there isn't a connection, why would he bring the vahi comment out of nowhere? He had to have been implying a connection between the canons!!"

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. You're all thinking from a story PoV, and Jordan Paxton is an advertising and brand promotions employee, and he's thinking business. Maybe it's my corporate employment at an international business, but he's not speaking story PoV at all. You hear "the vahi is referenced" and think "oh my god the same mask from the first series??? How did it get to the new canon???" And he's thinking "we're using the same concept, but the mask will be a full mask this time, so don't worry, we're taking things from the first canon to help it feel familiar, that's the connection". Same with the "we're featuring the original six toa" comment. People took that immediately as "oh my god these are our original six toa in a new universe, how did they get there???" and he's thinking "we're reusing those characters in a new canon to give people an immediate point of familiarity and not alienate the original fanbase. Just like the new Star Trek did."

I'll say that pretty much everybody at TTV always assumed that BIONICLE would be a hard reboot and actually would prefer it that way. So we didn't exactly go in with a predetermined bias towards the contrary; it merely seemed to us that Jordan Paxton was hinting towards a connection.

With that being said, your explanation certainly sounds plausible.

I mean no disrespect, but the weird "the vahi reference means there's some time travel aspect that links the original canon to the new one, oh man!" thing came from you guys exclusively, and all the other attendees, from RusBIONICLE to BZPower to other random media people took it completely differently. Considering the YT comment section nature of your fanbase, the misinformation gets spread hyper-quick and it gets fairly annoying to have to have this exact conversation several hundred times on the exact same sites over and over. I don't intend to claim you are doing this on purpose or any such thing, it's clear you guys heard something different or took his comments very differently than it seems he intended from all that we heard from him (even in the same interview you did with him, as we were standing right next to you guys lol), and what several of us have been told about the storyline the past six or so months.

I mean no disrespect, but the weird "the vahi reference means there's some time travel aspect that links the original canon to the new one, oh man!" thing came from you guys exclusively, and all the other attendees, from RusBIONICLE to BZPower to other random media people took it completely differently. Considering the YT comment section nature of your fanbase, the misinformation gets spread hyper-quick and it gets fairly annoying to have to have this exact conversation several hundred times on the exact same sites over and over. I don't intend to claim you are doing this on purpose or any such thing, it's clear you guys heard something different or took his comments very differently than it seems he intended from all that we heard from him (even in the same interview you did with him, as we were standing right next to you guys lol), and what several of us have been told about the storyline the past six or so months.

Why they want it to be a full mask this time? It wasn't referenced in any way expect to it''s shape that the vahi is only half of the mask (or am I missing something?) Also, why did TTV said it has something to do with time trap and maybe Krakua?

Edited by GK733

It was a culmination of a Star Trek comparison and the Vahi being referenced as half a mask. Even you yourself would be curious as to what he meant by "half a mask" when it was never stated anywhere in the old canon that the Vahi was half a mask, whether literally or visually. At the very least, it was a very odd choice of words.

Anyway, can we just put this whole affair behind us? DeeVee isn't able to say a word about anything he knows about because of an NDA, and we've barely gotten any story information. The only thing that even relates to the Vahi that we've even seen was a cloud, and even then without the Vahi comment it's a weird reference to have made.

Edited by JayWalker

I mean, the "it's half a mask" thing was the most prominent part of the mask for several years. I mean, anyone who was in the fandom back in 2002 or 2003 or 2005 can testify to that being one of the first things people mention when getting it in plastic or seeing it in pictures. It was a prominent part of the design.

Yeah, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Due to the uncertainty of it all we've done our best to re-route people to you guys as the best source for NYCC reporting; hopefully that works in the long run. The only thing I can possibly guess could explain our drastically different interpretation is that his dialogue with us literally opened with him saying "I don't want to say it's a reboot, because there are certainly elements that connect to the old story." In hindsight, he was likely using "connect" in the connotation that you're using it in; connections via similar concepts rather than exact objects/entities. Regardless, that probably played a big role in our interpreting his statements differently.

Why they want it to be a full mask this time? It wasn't referenced in any way expect to it''s shape that the vahi is only half of the mask (or am I missing something?) Also, why did TTV said it has something to do with time trap and maybe Krakua?

The article where we stated the possibility of Krakua has this line of text directly above it:

Here’s what we theorize (gleaned from these answers, not official in the slightest):

:P

Edited by Mesonak

I've seen pictures of it, and I'm going to buy one soon in two seconds I own one. The reason people have ruled him out as referring to it being a "full mask" is because it was a question regarding the plot, and the Star Trek thing

Edited by JayWalker

It was a culmination of a Star Trek comparison and the Vahi being referenced as half a mask. Even you yourself would be curious as to what he meant by "half a mask" when it was never stated anywhere in the old canon that the Vahi was half a mask, whether literally or visually. At the very least, it was a very odd choice of words.

Anyway, can we just put this whole affair behind us? DeeVee isn't able to say a word about anything he knows about because of an NDA, and we've barely gotten any story information. The only thing that even relates to the Vahi that we've even seen was a cloud, and even then without the Vahi comment it's a weird reference to have made.

You're welcome!

You're welcome!

Uh... that knowledge is pretty common now. And unless you're the guy on BZPower that made a topic I can't find now, it probably wasn't you I learned this from.

So, any other theorycraft we could discuss other than the Vahi?

I can't help but wonder how long ago Ekimu and Makuta's conflict happened, compared to the arrival of the Toa. Though more clearly visualized than 2001's Mata-Nui vs. Makuta, if it happened in the distant past, there is the chance that what we were shown is actually a "modern" interpretation of the conflict, and not a completely accurate portrayal of events. I doubt that we're going to see the Giant Robot plot twist used again, but the potential for a plot twist is still there, depending on the accuracy of the Protectors' knowledge of the past.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

That's something I've been bringing up on BS01; there's certain parts that we're obviously meant to take literally (Ekimu and his mask exist, Masks of Power are real, etc) but the video is called "The Legend", which generally has implications of myth.

One of the things I hope they do away with is obviously the nonsensical nature of the timeline, and keep things grounded in a real sense of chronology, so even if the Makuta/Ekimu conflict is in the more distant past, it won't be "thousands of billions of trillions of years ago".

Why they want it to be a full mask this time? It wasn't referenced in any way expect to it''s shape that the vahi is only half of the mask (or am I missing something?)

My guess is that a new Vahi with roughly the same shape would not be able to fit via the new mask connection points; or at least, it would not look good doing so. Making it a "whole mask" seems like a a solution to aesthetics and is likely not plot related.

Sorry for bringing it up again. Vahi discussion can end now. :grin:

My guess is that a new Vahi with roughly the same shape would not be able to fit via the new mask connection points; or at least, it would not look good doing so.

They could make it like this part, I think it would work nicely.

Edited by Leewan

I was looking at the Legend of Ekimu and Makuta video for the nth time, and I realized that the two brothers are really easy to make into sets. I'm not talking about them being a case of "let's build them out of Lego pieces so they fit the animation style" like some of the non-set creatures they came up with in the BIONICLE movies and HF episodes, I mean they look like renders of existing sets.

Their recolours and parts inventories are something sensible you'd see on a set (for example, their transparent shells are all 3M size), and there are some designs you'd came up with only if you actually built the models IRL (the hammers, especially Makuta's which uses these spikes). And the recolours aren't that many- actually, they're only the tr. purple pieces from Makuta (3M shells, the hammer head/gatling gun from the Superhero Ultrabuilds and the new brain/eye piece). As for new parts, there are the two masks (duh) and the shoulder armour.

And it's funny, I wanted to bring this up this morning (when everyone was still talking about the Vahi), but Agent Fusion noticed something that fits this post like a glove:

Speaking of the Legend animation, did anyone else notice the gear on Ekimu's back?

GREAT EYE! Could it be that Ekimu and Makuta are slightly bigger Protectors with a gearbox build? Like (set-wise) Protector/Master hybrids. The mechanism does go nicely with their hammers, and this way kids can replicate Ekimu's mask knocking off attack.

My point is, I'm not the first to point out this but we might be looking at a "Voltix" case here- Summer sets getting spoiled via animated videos, months before we find actual pictures of the sets themselves.

As for new parts, there are the two masks (duh) and the shoulder armour.

As for new parts, there are the two masks (duh) and the shoulder armour.

And it's funny, I wanted to bring this up this morning (when everyone was still talking about the Vahi), but Agent Fusion noticed something that fits this post like a glove:

GREAT EYE! Could it be that Ekimu and Makuta are slightly bigger Protectors with a gearbox build? Like (set-wise) Protector/Master hybrids. The mechanism does go nicely with their hammers, and this way kids can replicate Ekimu's mask knocking off attack.

My point is, I'm not the first to point out this but we might be looking at a "Voltix" case here- Summer sets getting spoiled via animated videos, months before we find actual pictures of the sets themselves.

Nah, no new mold for shoulder armour

15369.jpg

Actually Ekimu has a gear on his back in the animation and the protectors in the animation pics of the NYCC presentation don't have. This could mean that the Mask Makers indeed have gear functions. I really hope we get Makuta and Ekimu in the same set.

I think we could except they have the gearbox connected into the protector torso.

Edited by GK733

Could it be that Ekimu and Makuta are slightly bigger Protectors with a gearbox build?

Yes, that does seem to be the most likely scenario. I would assume that the gear function operated the hammer arm, so now you too can knock the mask from Makuta's face. I think it's safe to say that Ekimu is one of the five summer sets, along with at least one of Makuta's forms.