I mean that gold sets and characters in general are well liked. Laval being there as the main hero since the beginning (instead of the cliched red leader) only reinforces the point. So if they want to make a Takanuva set, they will, and they have many good reasons to do that. And watch him having a lot more gold than 2003 this time.

I mean that gold sets and characters in general are well liked. Laval being there as the main hero since the beginning (instead of the cliched red leader) only reinforces the point. So if they want to make a Takanuva set, they will, and they have many good reasons to do that. And watch him having a lot more gold than 2003 this time.

Well, that's a way to distinguish him from Kopaka. Make him mostly gold with white armor.

Except that Chima was portrayed with blue as the "good guy" color. And it's really getting on my nerves how there's so little variation between "leader, buff guy, goof and cold dude" in every group of sets. Red guy is arrogant and rushes into things, twice now blue has been the goof (staring you right in the eye NINJAGO, and I bet you're not even going to use this to make an emotional development of Jay with this, ARE YOU?). Buff manly dude started with Cole. The generally unlikable, buff guy whose magical strength seems to wax and wane every time the plot calls for it. Then we've got biomechanical-esque Ice character, although at least there's character differentiations.

I wouldn't make anything much out of the personalities the 2015 versions have. NINJAGO and a bunch of other lines tacked them on as an afterthought. Jay was supposed to be an inventor, yet we've never seen him build anything after Episode 5, even when there are insane amounts of times when they could use him. Instead they bring back a dead guy to do the work for them (talk about a skeleton crew...). Cole was originally meant to be team leader, and the "striving for perfection" character, yet that went nowhere. And Zane... Zane's the only one with an actual reason for character change over time. Then again, they DID get rid of the whole "no talking" thing... like every character to debut with that trait. I just wouldn't think much of the personality changes Onua and the others have gotten. It will change in the first episode. And if it doesn't, they'll use them in overly cheesy ways.

Laval? What are you talking about? Laval was there from the beginning.

Poseable heads, elbows, knees and parts, knees and parts :tongue:

Maybe the story (as mentioned in The Legend of Ekimu and Makuta teaser trailer) :tongue:

Well, that's a way to distinguish him from Kopaka. Make him mostly gold with white armor.

I can see him having white limbs and all gold Rocka shells..,

I have a question/request for DV/Aanchir/anyone who got a hold of new parts from NYCC. How well does the new armour piece attach to a HF foot? I'm planning on doing that when I get Pohatu; I'm curious as to how that might look. A picture would be nice, but I understand if that's too much of a hassle. Much appreciated!

I haven't been following Hero Factory since 2010, basically... Is the green head somehow different from the Glatorian/Agori head?

Edit: Was watching w/sound off. xD I know nothing about the Brain Attack line, so.

Edited by Jacen Torq

If they bring Takanuva back:

1) Like someone else said, he would need a different name, since his was "Takua" and "Nuva" put together. Since there are no Toa Nuva......He'll be Avunakat or something, just to give fans that "Ha!" moment.

2) He needs to be something other than Gold and White. He would blend in WAY too much with Kopaka......I suggest Gold, Silver, with trans-yellow bones. Make it happen, Lego.

3) He needs to face Makuta. If they bring back Takanuva, and Makuta, but they don't have an ultimate fight, they might as well leave him out. Even if the fight makes NO SENSE like the original.

I have a question/request for DV/Aanchir/anyone who got a hold of new parts from NYCC. How well does the new armour piece attach to a HF foot? I'm planning on doing that when I get Pohatu; I'm curious as to how that might look. A picture would be nice, but I understand if that's too much of a hassle. Much appreciated!

Well, you can sort of see on my MOC from the event. It doesn't really cover the toe at all (though, in fairness, I don't think kicking with your toe is good form in most sports anyway). I definitely don't think it looks awful, but it's up to you whether you think it'd work for Pohatu.

I haven't been following Hero Factory since 2010, basically... Is the green head somehow different from the Glatorian/Agori head?

Edit: Was watching w/sound off. xD I know nothing about the Brain Attack line, so.

The Brain Attack head is slightly different than the Glatorian head. It has a handle in the back that you can clip things to (which was used in the Brain Attack sets for the heroes' visors), it has a cross axle hole in the front (too high up to work that well for most Kanohi masks, though), and its "face" doesn't stick forward as far. I put "face" in quotation marks because as with the Toa Inika head, there really isn't any actual molded "face" — it is a mostly smooth design. This makes it more useful than the Glatorian head as a general building element (makes great toes or fingertips), but less useful as a face for MOCs that don't have it covered with a helmet.

Anyway, there was a discussion going on on BZPower about the possibility of Toa Kaita. A lot of people seemed to think it'd be a tremendous challenge to make a really large or imposing Kaita with the parts of the Toa sets, particularly since the new sets are based on the CCBS. It was a challenge I was willing to embrace. My brother and I spent the past two days putting together concepts for Akamai and Wairuha.

They each stand about two inches taller than the tallest Toa used in their construction (Tahu and Kopaka, respectively), and their physiques are inspired by the hypermasculine build of Akamai Nuva and the more effeminate build of Wairuha Nuva. Wairuha uses two gearboxes, Akamai three. Once the sets are actually out I'll be able to get these designs to more of a finished state, filling out the back and sides and using the new parts for weapons and beefier armor.

Weren't you the one who reviewed it on BZP?

Yes I was. I really really disliked it. I had never before and never since given such an unfavorable review. I think the set is awful in every manner.

If they bring Takanuva back:

1) Like someone else said, he would need a different name, since his was "Takua" and "Nuva" put together. Since there are no Toa Nuva......He'll be Avunakat or something, just to give fans that "Ha!" moment.

2) He needs to be something other than Gold and White. He would blend in WAY too much with Kopaka......I suggest Gold, Silver, with trans-yellow bones. Make it happen, Lego.

3) He needs to face Makuta. If they bring back Takanuva, and Makuta, but they don't have an ultimate fight, they might as well leave him out. Even if the fight makes NO SENSE like the original.

Yeah I also thought about that. I think he would just keep the name Takua. The name change was always kind of odd to me. No other Matoran ever changed their name when they become Toa and its not like it was his name before he went into hiding.

But I think if he is released, I wouldnt worry about his colours clashing with Kopaka. I think this gold amour think its probably just wave related. I think it would be cool if he came back with the bronze-y gold that he had in 03 though. Know it wont happen but I always prefered that gold.

Yes I was. I really really disliked it. I had never before and never since given such an unfavorable review. I think the set is awful in every manner.

Yeaaah, he was pretty terrible. At least his blades were cool!

My brother and I spent the past two days putting together concepts for Akamai and Wairuha.

Pretty good concepts! Not sure if I'm a fan of the armor on the sides of the knees, but I understand your constraints. I look forward to seeing updated versions later on down the line.

Edited by Mesonak

Ey, don't you mess with tarix. That blue and gold was awesome. And don't forget the beard hole in the mask.

I don't see what people hate about tarix. He wasn't by any means terrible. Uninspired? yes. generic? yes. But there was nothing actually wrong with the design or the way he was built, unlike say, the Visorak and their hollow bodies. tarix had a very overused build, and therefore had all the pros and cons that came with that build, and therefore was solid enough as sets go. He only lost out to some of the other glatorian, like gresh, simply because he wasn't quite as flashy. he had a nice colour sceme and weapons.

I wouldn't call a set that has no actual flaws that hamper anything 'terrible'. Bland at worst. I consider 'terrible' to be reserved for sets with actual glaring flaws, not just sets with a lack f anything glaringly good about them.

Edited by Timeline15

I don't see what people hate about tarix. He wasn't by any means terrible. Uninspired? yes. generic? yes. But there was nothing actually wrong with the design or the way he was built, unlike say, the Visorak and their hollow bodies. tarix had a very overused build, and therefore had all the pros and cons that came with that build, and therefore was solid enough as sets go. He only lost out to some of the other glatorian, like gresh, simply because he wasn't quite as flashy. he had a nice colour sceme and weapons.

I wouldn't call a set that has no actual flaws that hamper anything 'terrible'. Bland at worst. I consider 'terrible' to be reserved for sets with actual glaring flaws, not just sets with a lack f anything glaringly good about them.

From what I recall, the top three issues people had with his design were:

• Odd torso armor
  • Awkward weapons
  • Impractical and absurd thornax launcher

Smaller issues relating to the color scheme included conflicting shades of blue and the color scheme breaking silver shoulder spikes. For a lot of people, though, that stuff is minor. Personally, I could look past all of that if he wasn't so bland. The Glatorian line as a whole tried to bring a spark of fresh creativity (however small it may have been) to the Inika build system, and they mostly succeeded except for Tarix. For that reason alone, he's pretty bad. In a year like 2009 with so many standout designs, I consider mediocrity a flaw.

Edited by Mesonak

Yeah I also thought about that. I think he would just keep the name Takua. The name change was always kind of odd to me. No other Matoran ever changed their name when they become Toa and its not like it was his name before he went into hiding.

But I think if he is released, I wouldnt worry about his colours clashing with Kopaka. I think this gold amour think its probably just wave related. I think it would be cool if he came back with the bronze-y gold that he had in 03 though. Know it wont happen but I always prefered that gold.

And the whole naming day ceremony thing was sketchy... About 3 Matoran were renamed, Hafu wasn't despite the fact that he had done several heroic deeds in the wars and at least Takua should have gotten a name change...

From what I recall, the top three issues people had with his design were:

• Odd torso armor
  • Awkward weapons
  • Impractical and absurd thornax launcher

Smaller issues relating to the color scheme included conflicting shades of blue and the color scheme breaking silver shoulder spikes. For a lot of people, though, that stuff is minor. Personally, I could look past all of that if he wasn't so bland. The Glatorian line as a whole tried to bring a spark of fresh creativity (however small it may have been) to the Inika build system, and they mostly succeeded except for Tarix. For that reason alone, he's pretty bad. In a year like 2009 with so many standout designs, I consider mediocrity a flaw.

See, I think 2009 had mostly bland designs, which were saved primarily by color design and part usage. The 7m joint with sideways facing axles was a godsend, I'll grant. But outside of a few exceptions, the Glatorian were just your average Inika builds with better colors, and sometimes questionable additions: long necks, wobbly ankle armor, etc.

Strakk was easily the worst of bunch, with his ape build, absurdly unusable overspecialized weapon, long neck, and helmet that did absolutely nothing to cover up any of these flaws (unlike Stronius). Tarix is a masterpiece compared to that.

And the whole naming day ceremony thing was sketchy... About 3 Matoran were renamed, Hafu wasn't despite the fact that he had done several heroic deeds in the wars and at least Takua should have gotten a name change...

Well, that was the whole Maori controversy. Hopefully we won't be seeing anything weird like that in the future, especially without the over-reliance on weird names.

Strakk was easily the worst of bunch, with his ape build, absurdly unusable overspecialized weapon, long neck, and helmet that did absolutely nothing to cover up any of these flaws (unlike Stronius). Tarix is a masterpiece compared to that.

What you talkin' 'bout? Strakk was one of the best Glatorian. He had a delightfully non-traditional posture built mostly from existing pieces. His shoulder armor and weapon were indeed ridiculously overspecialized (faults he shared with Vastus from the Glatorian Legends series), but as far as his build was concerned, he was brilliantly creative.

Strakk's interesting design is actually one of the things I kind of liked about Tarix, since Tarix felt like what a Glatorian with the same armor style but a more conventional physique would look like. Admittedly, being the more "normal" version of a set that was chiefly impressive for breaking from the typical design standards isn't much of a selling point, but speaking as an artist it was kind of cool to be able to draw Tarix and Strakk as "variations on a theme".

Edited by Aanchir

If they'd called him "Toa Takua" or "Takua Nuva", then the surprise would have been foiled.

See, I think 2009 had mostly bland designs, which were saved primarily by color design and part usage. The 7m joint with sideways facing axles was a godsend, I'll grant. But outside of a few exceptions, the Glatorian were just your average Inika builds with better colors, and sometimes questionable additions: long necks, wobbly ankle armor, etc.

Strakk was pretty bad, but there were issues with the other sets. Skrall would've been so much better if he had a conventional torso build, since the angled torso made his proportions awkward, and it also made the wave's villain set really quite short. If he had been given the conventional build, he would have looked really imposing, and the properly humanoid Skrall mocs you see, like Kylernuva's

do as well, but the actual set ends up looking a tad silly.

Ackar was bland, being a generic Inika build in a line which at least tried to change them up a bit. I mean, he had some nice Mata red, and the flame sword piece, but he had Berix's helmet, and barely any new pieces.

Vastus was pretty bad too. Hordika legs, overspecialized parts, terrible armour, terrible back construction (As in, HF2.0-bad), and a helmet that was not only overspecialized, but looked ugly on every head except the lime one. Also, lime.

One thing I never understood was how Tarix used his Thornax Launcher while using both weapons. Seems weird.

But otherwise, I liked Tarix. Probably my favourite of the Glatorian. Plus he was awesome in the story (from the little he was used)

Ackar was bland,

Vastus was pretty bad too.

aww, those are some of my favorite glatorian, I liked the vines and spikes vastus had on his armor and staff. And ackar gave us mata red and orange! Plus that awesome oversized sword.

I find it funny that we all have different opinions on 2009 sets =P. Usually there's a fair consensus of what looks good and what looks bad, but maybe it's the amount of time that's passed that has helped us develop independent thoughts on the matter.

One thing I never understood was how Tarix used his Thornax Launcher while using both weapons. Seems weird.

But otherwise, I liked Tarix. Probably my favourite of the Glatorian. Plus he was awesome in the story (from the little he was used)

I wrote a psuedo-explanation into my winning Core War story, so in theory there was a trigger on the blades that allowed him to fire it =D.

I never understood how Malum did it, though. Squeeze his armpits?