I get that CCBS is the new standard for LEGOs buildable action figures, but the lack of Technic-based build really makes these look like crappy Hero Factory leftovers that they now have slapped on the Bionicle name and tries to sell them on nostalgia. Also I find that most of the colour schemes are pretty bad, and after the excellent Mech wave of Hero Factory these look really poor in comparison.

I'm 100 % serious that people wouldn't be very excited at all if this was the next Hero Factory-wave instead of the return of Bionicle..

You are gold, always believe in your soul. You've got the power to know, you're indestructible. Always beliieeeve.

>Ahem<

You earn a cookie for that.

I get that CCBS is the new standard for LEGOs buildable action figures, but the lack of Technic-based build really makes these look like crappy Hero Factory leftovers that they now have slapped on the Bionicle name and tries to sell them on nostalgia.

Technic-based building isn't what made bionicle, well, bionicle. Majority of the G1 bionicle sets had barely any technic pieces in them anyway. I don't know if you've noticed at all, but these sets have more technic functions in them than your average Hero Factory set ever did, especially the lord of skull spiders. I know this post you made is probably a bait post to flame the conversation, but darnit, it really bugs me that people still think that Technic is what defined bionicle, because that's simply not true.

What angers me the most is when people pull the "It's just Hero Factory with Bionicle slapped onto it!" card.

At this point, I'm starting to think it's just bait, like you said SirPuddings.

Do we have some sort of tally for how many times that complaint has been made? XD

Not sure if he's being serious or not. He described the sets as crappy due to hf pieces, but praised invasion from below in the same comment.

As much as I prefer the old system, I'm not adverse to these guys using CCBS pieces, if anything, hopefully it'll finally give me a desire to moc with CCBS, as after almost 5 years since the end of Bionicle I still MOC almost exclusively with its pieces.

the lack of Technic-based build

Are you serious right now?

Edited by Mesonak

To be honest far too many BIONICLE builds were absolutely horrible or clone builds, something CCBS has "mostly" improved on. Case in point:

>Bohrok

>Bohrok Va (personality smershonality)

>Bohrok Kal

>Rahkshi

>Canister Vahki

>EVERYTHING from 2005 except the Titans, SYSTEM and Hagah

>Inika. Except for Nuparu (shoulder cannon and Sniper Drill

CCBS's first wave was a teeny bit different, although 2011 was an atrocious year in general for the Hero sets. Breakout was good, etc. Brain Attack was cartoony, and had a fair bit of variation. IFB was... so-so. Had a few good builds, but it's unbalanced by the bad ones.

The new BIONICLE, however, I'm seriously hoping that they improve this. While I like the sets now, there's a lot of flaws regarding how CCBS was designed to be standardized rather than modular.

edit: to clarify, CCBS IS modular. It's just that said modularity comes at a cost with the massive backpacks.

Edited by JayWalker

To be honest far too many BIONICLE builds were absolutely horrible or clone builds, something CCBS has "mostly" improved on. Case in point:

>Bohrok

>Bohrok Va (personality smershonality)

>Bohrok Kal

>Rahkshi

>Canister Vahki

>EVERYTHING from 2005 except the Titans, SYSTEM and Hagah

>Inika. Except for Nuparu (shoulder cannon and Sniper Drill

CCBS's first wave was a teeny bit different, although 2011 was an atrocious year in general for the Hero sets. Breakout was good, etc. Brain Attack was cartoony, and had a fair bit of variation. IFB was... so-so. Had a few good builds, but it's unbalanced by the bad ones.

The new BIONICLE, however, I'm seriously hoping that they improve this. While I like the sets now, there's a lot of flaws regarding how CCBS was designed to be standardized rather than modular.

edit: to clarify, CCBS IS modular. It's just that said modularity comes at a cost with the massive backpacks.

Jay. I understand your opinions, but don't worry. The Bohrok has so many features..... :tongue:

Jay. I understand your opinions, but don't worry. The Bohrok has so many features..... :tongue:

Very true, but they're still clones :wink: I didn't say that clone sets are bad, just there's so many of them. That's the problem.

For me, the element that doesn't make sense is stone, we already have earth. They could have combined both and made a to a of lightning or something.

That's always the funny thing about Bionicle. They separate abilites that usually go together (Mask, Elements). There is a Mask of flight and one that makes you float when usually those abilites go together. Or certain elements can be use similarly (Gravity, Magnetism-Earth,stone-light,fire). I do appreciate TLG simplify Lewa abilities cus I assume he was plants back in 2001.

I get that CCBS is the new standard for LEGOs buildable action figures, but the lack of Technic-based build really makes these look like crappy Hero Factory

I'm 100 % serious that people wouldn't be very excited at all if this was the next Hero Factory-wave instead of the return of Bionicle..

I'm not sure what you mean by "Technic-Based Build" because G1 Bionicle stop doing that in 2005. Unless you were gonna buy a titan set, you didn't see it for five years straight.

"Hero Factory leftovers that they now have slapped on the Bionicle name", They did the same thing in 2010. 2011 was when the design really change, lets give TLG a some time for new molds.

(P.S. For the love of Mata TLG, can you stop changing the head molds for the construction line! Most of them are great and then their gone next year)

You are so on money about these clone builds, that stop in 07 when the bad guys were not mass produce. I greatly appreciate that '15 Toa are way more power down in abilites than G1. Kinda makes sense for them to have Mutli-function weapons (PLEASE keep that theme), I also like that gold mask allows them you use their element. Keep making gold verison of new masks

They were pretty much clones yeah but all of them had a drastically different design compared to other clone sets. They didn't use the same pieces all the time like Hero Factory.

If we get some new bones and torsos in summer/2016 that's enough for me.

870.png

> come into thread expecting news

> see another ohwunner complaining about ccbs

> mfw

Edited by LewiMOC

870.png

> come into thread expecting news

> mfw

Welcome to the news drought. Estimations predict that it will end in a month or two. In that time, please stay indoors and refrain from overexposing yourself to Hype. :tongue:

"Hero Factory leftovers that they now have slapped on the Bionicle name", They did the same thing in 2010. 2011 was when the design really change, lets give TLG a some time for new molds.

You've missed the best counter argument though

Pointing out that technically Bionicle was Slizer leftovers with another name slapped on it :p

You've missed the best counter argument though

Pointing out that technically Bionicle was Slizer leftovers with another name slapped on it :p

Star Wars is just Classic Space leftovers with another name slapped on it, by that logic :v

Ok, maybe I'm being too picky here, but why do we use ohwunner as the default term, rather than something like genwunner? From what I've seen, people who were big fans of 01 are seemingly the ones who are happiest with the new Bionicle. I've heard so many people say excitedly that this feels like 2001, whereas I've heard some fans of later eras say they're not satisfied (or at least say something like "Vezon needs to show up!") I get that "ohwunner" was supposed to be a clever term, but it doesn't seem like it applies, especially since most people who complain about the CCBS builds don't indicate when they were fans. It just seems weird to me. Anyway.

Slizers is Roboriders.

Bionicle is Slizers.

Hero Factory is Bionicle.

Bionicle is Hero Factory.

Seriously, though, on those last two: I feel the same complaint was made during HF's debut. It was just Bionicle with a new name. The sets were built with the same system after all (I still remember one person saying HF's tagline should be "We build Matoran", which makes absolutely no sense). Now that Bionicle is using CCBS, it's the opposite of the complaint: Bionicle is just Hero Factory with a different name. I find that funny.

Star Wars is just Classic Space leftovers with another name slapped on it, by that logic :v

As someone who loved Slizers, when Bionicle 2001 came out it was pretty revolutionary for LEGO Technic action figures at the time. Aesthetically, probably the most advanced thing they had come up with at that point. Pretty unfair to say that Bionicle was "Slizer leftovers"... especially considering the huge number of new elements (for the time) that Bionicle introduced...

As someone who loved Slizers, when Bionicle 2001 came out it was pretty revolutionary for LEGO Technic action figures at the time. Aesthetically, probably the most advanced thing they had come up with at that point. Pretty unfair to say that Bionicle was "Slizer leftovers"... especially considering the huge number of new elements (for the time) that Bionicle introduced...

2386293-the_joke_your_head_3-(n1292804669453).jpg

Edited by LewiMOC

I get that CCBS is the new standard for LEGOs buildable action figures, but the lack of Technic-based build really makes these look like crappy Hero Factory leftovers that they now have slapped on the Bionicle name and tries to sell them on nostalgia. Also I find that most of the colour schemes are pretty bad, and after the excellent Mech wave of Hero Factory these look really poor in comparison.

I'll be completely honest, if lego sold the same William furno with a hau on it, I would by it for nostalgia sake. That's why we all brought the stars isn't it? Those weren't that great, and broke faster than pie gets eaten, but I loved having a remake of some of my favorite sets, like piraka and tahu.

And this is a very unpopular opinion, but I prefer the inika/piraka builds over most ccbs I've seen. My main issue with it is how it looks actually. Every thing is soo... smooth. I liked the old armor with the textures and dimples and rivets. The new add on piece looks really good, if they could just make a shell and torso similar to that, it would be near perfect. And about the technic, canister sets didn't have a whole lot, what I miss is the huge titans like toa mata nui, Fenrakk, maxilos, skopio, etc. Which had a fair amount of technic involved. (Which is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to LoSS so much)

You realize these sets are about as Technic-based as most BIONICLE canister sets? Just as a random example, Pohatu (the simplest of the new Toa) and many of the Protectors include more basic Technic than a Toa Inika.

They don't use Technic pins to connect all of their armor on, of course, but that's because that's generally a limiting, obsolete building style that the designers were smart enough to do away with.

Y'know, the Toa Mata had no Technic to speak of save for the gearbox, and the '15 gearbox is far more complex than '01's ever was. Also, we had /one-piece/ torsos back then.

I think what the '15 line is missing is more pistons and stuff in the design, is all. The smoother features are what makes me associate it with Hero Factory, not necessarily the designs themselves.

I still don't understand the blue eyes on Tahu though, they stick out in a weird way. o.o