I'm still pushing for the MoUP to be the real villain. It would be a great plot twist and something BIONICLE never did before.

Not saying Makuta isn't a villain.. But I think the MoUP played a role in his descent to evil.

Edited by Shakar

It looks as though it is the Skull Spider Face/Mask

Not really. Taking a look at the ridges, etc, and comparing them to Var's closeups indicates that they're very similar but not the same.

I'm still pushing for the MoUP to be the real villain. It would be a great plot twist and something BIONICLE never did before.

Not saying Makuta isn't a villain.. But I think the MoUP played a role in his descent to evil.

I would say the MoUP did, the Legends trailer implied it at any rate, as it "took control over him".

Certainly the MoUP did its part, but I'm sure Makuta is still going to take the reins of main villain for a while, otherwise they wouldn't have decided to reuse such an iconic name. And his corrupted form? Clearly a callback to G1 Makuta's 2003 set, and a good design for future big villain set.

Edited by Shakar

Future "big villain" set? You sure? Makuta didn't increase in size (despite what it looked like) in the trailer. At worst he'll be a Protector-esque set. Both Ekimu and both variants of Makuta have probably been designed with Protector style in mind, and at the very least they both set themselves apart in the ways their armor attaches.

It's also a very good throwback to Makuta being a McToran in 01 :tongue:

Edited by JayWalker

Future "big villain" set? You sure? Makuta didn't increase in size (despite what it looked like) in the trailer. At worst he'll be a Protector-esque set. Both Ekimu and both variants of Makuta have probably been designed with Protector style in mind, and at the very least they both set themselves apart in the ways their armor attaches.

It's also a very good throwback to Makuta being a McToran in 01 :tongue:

I highly doubt that our Big Bad would end up being some low price point set. He will almost certainly be a titan, as has always been the case.

I suppose it's possible that we get him protector size with a vehicle or creature, like Turaga Dume and Nivawk back in 2004.

Edited by Refy L.S.

I highly doubt that our Big Bad would end up being some low price point set. He will almost certainly be a titan, as has always been the case.

I suppose it's possible that we get him protector size with a vehicle or creature, like Turaga Dume and Nivawk back in 2004.

Well, that's what I was thinking. That's why I said "at worst". It would be highly anticlimactic for just a Protector, but he could appear in two sets a la the second wave of NINJAGO in 2011. Garmadon WAS featured in four sets, but what I'm getting at was that he was in a Spinner and high-priced sets. But from what we've seen so far, him appearing as anything other than a Protector build with some stuffz added in is looking slim.

But if it is the Mask of Ultimate Power in the background, plus the fact the Makuta is asleep, my guess is somebody has already found it and is under the Mask's control.

But if it is the Mask of Ultimate Power in the background, plus the fact the Makuta is asleep, my guess is somebody has already found it and is under the Mask's control.

Asleep doesn't equate to not-doing-stuff. We still have no idea of the motive for the Skull Spiders to find the Masks, and it's pretty unlikely they wouldn't capitalize on Makuta soon. It's not out of the question though, but given that he's only been seen as a Protector (which could change easily with a later release) thus far I doubt he's going to be changed too much.

edit: gah, sorry for the incoherent post. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm trying to win dat Trans Hau :grin:

Edited by JayWalker

Still there for me.

EDIT: YAY! I won the Trans Hau! :sweet: For $60 including shipping!

Also, can someone link the picture of the Temple of Time at Comic Con?

Edited by JayWalker

Also, can someone link the picture of the Temple of Time at Comic Con?

I gotta get me one of those...

But then BZP will have a contest and I could get one for free.

Anywho, I want protector Makuta. Anyone else think he could build an Exo-suit a la the Exo-Toa? That way we could have a titan and a Protector.

On a side note, Ekimu had a gear on his back in the animation while other Protectors/villagers do not. Maybe they have an Ekimu figure in the works that is a Protector with a gear function?

I know I'm a bit late, but I like these flaws. For those who think they make the Toa "babies" or "frightened children": I'm 25 years old, I climb mountains, and I'm afraid of heights. I'm overcoming this fear as I climb more and more mountains, because one of the only ways of overcoming a phobia is exposing yourself to it. Having a phobia isn't a sign of weakness.

But this is too much. There are lines out their, and Lego crossed them. A kid should not RELATE to a bio-mechanical elemental hero; he should look up to him.

While you may prefer following a team of perfect gods or "dark and edgy" anti heroes, a majority of people actually enjoy characters they can relate to on at least some level. It's usually part of good storytelling. Who knows, maybe a kid who gets made fun of because she's clumsy or because he's afraid of the dark--both by kid bullies and by adults who pull the kind of "what are you, a baby?" nonsense that you did--will see that having a trait like that doesn't mean that you can't be brave, strong, heroic, and good. Maybe they'll see that this trait isn't some shameful thing that's keeping them from being what they want to be--that it's something they can work on while still doing good. Maybe an AFOL who is afraid of heights will like that Onua feels a bit more lifelike--a more complex character rather than a stock character type. I think that's a good thing.

Edited by Mariko

In all honesty, why would they mention them? What purpose would they serve at Comic Con? [...] Guess what else we didn't see at NYCC? We didn't see the books, they haven't even selected authors yet! There's a fair while between now and release, and there's a full year after that to make animations. Will they most certainly be made? No. Is there a chance? Yes.

I don't know, but to me the presentation was more about the whole concept of Bionicle from a business/marketing perspective including not only the "content", but also the "promotion" - not only the stuff which are important story-wise. But true, the books haven't been mentioned either.

People think that the MNOG was super set accurate, but it took a lot of design liberties, too (look at the Ruru/Pakari, or the Matoran arms, for example).

That's why I mentioned the backgrounds which are easier to find similarities with. But in general, the stylization of sets in MNOG and the new animations are on different levels.

So I agree that the animation style isn't the same, but they're both stylized 2d animations.

The similarities to MNOG are less about the level of set accuracy and more about the bright, flat colors and simple shading. [...] As the presentation showed, the MNOG was just one of many influences on the new animation style.

True, true, I think the black and white slide about animation style inspirations was rather a mood board and MNOG served as a starting point.

Perhaps the reason a mask isn't to have more than one element isn't just because it would be too strong, but because it would have too much power and possibly gain sentience?

A sentient mask as a villain would be so so sweet.

I was just reading Pohatu's bio, and although this has been mentioned:

Also, for Onua:

AFRAID OF HEIGHTS?! What is he, five years old? And Pohatu is scared of the dark?! WHY ARE THE TOA BABIES NOW?!? Before they were honorable guardians, and now their frightened children! :wall:

These are real phobias that can affect real people, even physically/mentally mature people.

I do find these really odd in the instance of a soft reboot/(use of the same characters) and would make far more sense if it really is a complete reboot with new characters. Otherwise explaining why they are like this for plot could have difficulties.

Edited by InfurnallDragon

Got a chance to upload some pics of a gearbox imitation I've been working on.

There are further descriptions on Flickr:

You shouldn't need to resort to such measures for the arms to hold a pose. The official sets mostly just use eight-tooth gears and friction pins to provide the requisite amount of friction (Onua uses a ball joint with through hole and ball cup since his hammer arm needs to support more weight).

Your version of the gearbox also doesn't connect in the same places as the new one, really, meaning it wouldn't make a very good substitute if you wanted to try and recreate the builds of sets or design builds which could be retrofitted with the new gearbox. Did you see my Flickr gallery?

Edited by Lyichir

Perhaps the reason a mask isn't to have more than one element isn't just because it would be too strong, but because it would have too much power and possibly gain sentience?

A sentient mask as a villain would be so so sweet.

When Makuta put on the MoUP, his armor turned red and black... the same colors as the Lord of Skull Spiders!

You shouldn't need to resort to such measures for the arms to hold a pose. The official sets mostly just use eight-tooth gears and friction pins to provide the requisite amount of friction (Onua uses a ball joint with through hole and ball cup since his hammer arm needs to support more weight).

Your version of the gearbox also doesn't connect in the same places as the new one, really, meaning it wouldn't make a very good substitute if you wanted to try and recreate the builds of sets or design builds which could be retrofitted with the new gearbox. Did you see my Flickr gallery?

That I did. However, I ran across stability issues when trying to replicate it to a more perfect degree, and settled on my current design. However, I thank you for your criticism; I suppose I could extend a technic beam downwards to better duplicate the gearbox piece.

As for the means of providing tension, I found it more economic to use a stud-ended rod than to find space for a secondary gearing system with tension pin, in a design that is already bulky compared to the piece which inspired it. I did this to allow for more connection points, as I am wary of supporting anything using only this part or similar, which I would have to do if not using my current system.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

When Makuta put on the MoUP, his armor turned red and black... the same colors as the Lord of Skull Spiders!

my guess is maybe a spider came in contact with the moUP and mutated and took control of the others. I'm interested to hear what the story behind the spiders is.

And about the toa weaknesses, how hilarious would it be if one of them was aracnaphobia.

"Kopaka is noble and reserved. Upholding his own strict moral code he strives to be perfect, but is deathly afraid of spiders!"

Edited by arc

I think it's more due to the fact that black and red is a popular combo for villains. I don't think Makuta is LoSS, if that's what is being implied. I read that LoSS and the SS are a creation of Makuta's dreams, but according to someone that's just a made up rumour.

And technically LoSS is black and transparent (reddish) orange. : P

I think it's more due to the fact that black and red is a popular combo for villains. I don't think Makuta is LoSS, if that's what is being implied. I read that LoSS and the SS are a creation of Makuta's dreams, but according to someone that's just a made up rumour.

It could be that the MoUP has some control over the LoSS, not that Makuta is now a six-legged spider.

What is the golden skull spider supposed to represent?