... Don't forget Jeterangs and Kaboomerangs and Stormarangs

All from the updated bios on Lego.com...

A boomerang by any other name is still a boomerang.

Despite how great those other names are.

I think the new animations are only slightly less set-accurate than the MNOG. People think that the MNOG was super set accurate, but it took a lot of design liberties, too (look at the Ruru/Pakari, or the Matoran arms, for example). So I agree that the animation style isn't the same, but they're both stylized 2d animations.

Yeah that always bugged me as a kid. I would make it my my mission to find dissimilarities, and I found so many. :hmpf_bad:

MNOG was hands-down one of the best things to happen to BIONICLE in its entire lifetime. I still consider it a masterpiece for what it achieved (complexity of gameplay was not part of it, though ;)). I'd love to see LEGO try something at least somewhat similar for Okoto.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

MNOG was hands-down one of the best things to happen to BIONICLE in its entire lifetime. I still consider it a masterpiece for what it achieved (complexity of gameplay was not part of it, though ;)). I'd love to see LEGO try something at least somewhat similar for Okoto.

-Gata signoff.png

The simplicity of MNOG's gameplay is one of the things I love about it. I'm not much of a gamer, and point-and-click adventure games like the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series are basically my preferred genre. Mata Nui Online Game is a pretty good example of that genre.

More action-oriented games that require the player to have good reflexes are not nearly as fun for me. I can enjoy them, but I don't find them relaxing like a good adventure game. Having to react to so many stimuli can be exhausting.

I agree completely. MNOG and Monkey Island are really the only games from my childhood that I still occasionally play today (although if I still had my old N64 or GameCube, the Zelda games would join that list).

I actually liked the non-set-accuracy of the MNOG, just as I like the same feature the new animation has. I even like the new animation a bit more; it helps with world-building, I think. I like that both the sets and the animations are different ways of expressing the characters.

The simplicity of MNOG's gameplay is one of the things I love about it. I'm not much of a gamer, and point-and-click adventure games like the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series are basically my preferred genre. Mata Nui Online Game is a pretty good example of that genre.

More action-oriented games that require the player to have good reflexes are not nearly as fun for me. I can enjoy them, but I don't find them relaxing like a good adventure game. Having to react to so many stimuli can be exhausting.

I didn't comment on the lack of complexity as if it were a bad thing, in fact, its simplicity made a great deal of its charm.

-Gata signoff.png

What if we get the smaller protectors as HF/Bio Minifigures? *evil laugh*

Although it actually would make sense, considering the Protector aesthetic could be easily transferred into a clone-stye McDonalds promo.

One thing I love about the new, stylized animation is that the style is very easy for fan artists to imitate. Check out these recent wallpapers one of my friends did.

oh wow, those are pretty good. Makes me want pohatu to have his rock again. :sad:

One thing I love about the new, stylized animation is that the style is very easy for fan artists to imitate. Check out these recent wallpapers one of my friends did.

Good old Corvin never ceases to amaze. His art is fantastic and those wallpapers are really mediocre compared to his finest work.

-Gata signoff.png

The resemblance to the official animation is uncanny. May have to modify Pohatu to have a kicking function once I get him.

Not sure if I am to excited about the new bionicle. I was a huge fan of the originals and grew up collecting them, but I like the originals too much to get hooked on collecting these new ones.

You realise it's entirely possible to like 2 different bionicle continuities at the same time, right? Liking the new doesn't require abandoning the old one at all, kinda like transformers, G1 and Armada are my favourite series equally.

You realise it's entirely possible to like 2 different bionicle continuities at the same time, right? Liking the new doesn't require abandoning the old one at all, kinda like transformers, G1 and Armada are my favourite series equally.

Transformer's case is totally different from BIONICLE's. The Bays Transformer movies have their own merchandise which makes that its own toy line, while the merchandise for the other transformers stories are their own toy lines.

LEGO has never done this to my knowledge, and likely won't. It would be like running two lines of the same thing, which cuts into set sales. It would be really confusing to consumers too and thats part of why LEGO only focuses on unique lines.

Edited by InfurnallDragon

LEGO has never done this to my knowledge, and likely won't. It would be like running two lines of the same thing, which cuts into set sales. It would be really confusing to consumers too and thats why LEGO only focuses on unique lines.

I think he refers storywise, that the old canon doesn't cease to exist as an AU due to the existence of the new canon. Yeah, I'm considering '01 and '15 Bionicle as parallel dimensions.

It would still be confusing (for new fans) to continue writing for the old BIONICLE, and with them not making sets for that reality they don't have enough incentive to devote their resources to the old one.

Speaking of the alternate universe theory- TTV cited that they got "soft reboot" out of a LEGO employee after describing it to them. And apparently someone mentioned Krakua. After reading about Krakua I have to say that has interesting implications.

No one said anything about continuing to write the old bionicle, I was simply stating that liking the new one won't mean the old bionicle you once knew will cease to exist and it will be impossible to like both G1 and G2 at the same time. All I was saying is that liking 2 separate continuities is possible.

Oh I am sorry. I keep having these issues lately... I think I'll see a doctor or something...

But you are totally right 100%

In fact I like the old BIONICLE so much I want to collect all of these. (but I cant)

Speaking of the alternate universe theory- TTV cited that they got "soft reboot" out of a LEGO employee after describing it to them. And apparently someone mentioned Krakua. After reading about Krakua I have to say that has interesting implications.

What was stated was that Kahi, in talking to Jordan Paxton, questioned if the new BIONICLE was a soft reboot; he seemed unsure, and then Kahi said "like the new Star Trek movies?" He then agreed with the comparison. Considering the nature of those movies, the answer certainly piqued our curiosity. :P

No Lego employee mentioned Krakua; that was wishful thinking/speculation on our part based on the Vahi hints and the Temple of Time on Okoto.

Edited by Mesonak

No Lego employee mentioned Krakua; that was wishful thinking/speculation on our part based on the Vahi hints and the Temple of Time on Okoto.

Was the Vahi being "half a mask" speculation, or was that actually mentioned? (sorry, it was hard to keep track of what was fact or not when this thread exploded).

Interesting thing about the Temple of Time: On BZP's video of the presentation, when they showed the slide that featured the Temple of Time (the slide that was omitted from the list on the Facebook post), they kinda mumbled to each other. Sounded like they asked if they should mention it, with the reply "they'll figure it out". Or something like that. Seems the Temple of Time is going to be pretty important. I'm curious to see what becomes of it.

Edited by Kalhiki

Of course! That's why they're called "Master of _____"! Because the Temple of Time is where they find the Master Sword!

EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW!

Yes, TTV tweeted about the Vahi be only 'half a mask'. Which led people to believe that Bio2015 is going to be a soft reboot.

Was the Vahi being "half a mask" speculation, or was that actually mentioned? (sorry, it was hard to keep track of what was fact or not when this thread exploded).

Interesting thing about the Temple of Time: On BZP's video of the presentation, when they showed the slide that featured the Temple of Time (the slide that was omitted from the list on the Facebook post), they kinda mumbled to each other. Sounded like they asked if they should mention it, with the reply "they'll figure it out". Or something like that. Seems the Temple of Time is going to be pretty important. I'm curious to see what becomes of it.

Yes, the Vahi being "half a mask" was mentioned to me as well by Jordan Paxton if I remember correctly. This is when I asked him whether this new story will be connected to the old. He then started to explain that the mask we have seen in Gen 1 of Bionicle was only "half a mask" and that the mask maker didn't manage to complete it. He then told me how I'll find out more about it in the panel (I asked him while on the showfloor), however it wasn't really mentioned.

Edited by AdaptingChaos