The mask-head connection has been tightend up during development, and I'm pretty sure that the masks (at least most of them) are prototypes that are not fully adjusted yet.

Erland

Part Design

Wow, Front! Fancy seeing you here.

Are you sure those were prototypes? I thought for sure that the masks at NYCC and LEGO Store event were the real deal... anyway, if this is true, I am glad!

The patterns on Kopaka's legs and Onua's chest are stickers. Everything else is printed.

Oh no.

Edited by Puffle Pal26

I would've made Jaller immediately. And a Toa of Plasma from Kopaka and Pohatu bits.

Jallet is my favorite hero... As soon as I get my hands on these new sets I will instantly make a Jaller MOC ( and quite possibly Vezon as well)

The mask-head connection has been tightend up during development, and I'm pretty sure that the masks (at least most of them) are prototypes that are not fully adjusted yet.

Erland

Part Design

Good to hear...

The patterns on Kopaka's legs and Onua's chest are stickers. Everything else is printed.

what

That is awful.

Wow, Front! Fancy seeing you here.

Are you sure those are prototypes? I thought for sure that the masks at NYCC and LEGO Store event were the real deal... anyway, if this is true, I am glad!

Well the masks have been moulded in the production moulds, but they are probably not fully adjusted at the connection point. At least the mask I worked on, Pohatu, needed a lot of adjustments, and I know hat some of the others masks needed adjustments as well. Often when you make a design with a new connection type, you start out with something conservative, that can be adjusted by just milling a bit more material away from the mould. Avoiding having to manufacture new mould parts just because you did not get the dimensions right in the first go.

Erland

Part Design

If for one thing I dislike is those stickers on Kopaka's legs. They weren't needed there at all... just why?

If for one thing I dislike is those stickers on Kopaka's legs. They weren't needed there at all... just why?

THen don't put them on.

I don't see why you guys want two pieces in never seen before colours to be printed, hence massively limiting their reusability. I swear I don't get the massive hate stickers get...

Onua's chest, I understand, those have never been printed. But Kopaka's leg shells could have been printed.

Kopaka's leg shells have never been printed either.

Whoops, I forgot what shells were used on Kopaka. Yeah, those have never been printed either. I probably won't use them on Kopaka, but I'm unsure about Onua.

Here's my story conspiracy theory: It is sequel set far in the future (Which could include Vahi involvement)

Think about it, you have two brothers, Makuta who puts on the mask of ultimate power and grows into a giant. In order to destroy that ultimate power, Ekimu smashes Makuta in the face; causing them both to collapse into sleep, which sends a shockwave across the land as if two giant robots fell onto the land.

Maybe Lego used Ekimo to help hide the story, it could be the name of the prototype robot or something. Maybe the mask of creation got mixed in because it is the only thing that can restore Mata Nui/Ekimo.

The mask of ultimate power is really the MU.

To add to that, the mask of control could be the source of Makuta's power over the virus.

An even crazier but more exciting plot, since the Vahi can only send you through time but not into alternate universes, is that the story is set in the past of the current story.

What if Makuta is called Makuta over Teridax because he isn't Teridax at all.

In the legend we have two creator beings, dabbling with pure elemental magical energies which keep the world in balance, to create the most powerful objects seen in the Matoran universe. Ekimo provided masks, elements, to the people.

Jealous of the power Ekimo gave to the people, Makuta extracts the elemental powers to create the ultimate mask, but it stealing this pure magical substance the world looses balance and shatters, leaving the world broken. Makuta lost control to this evil mask, whose dark powers corrupted everything he ever created or controlled.

As depicted in the video, all that remains of Makuta and Ekimo are giant craters, suspiciously like those created by the separation of two large moons.

Here's my theory:

Ekimo and Makuta, as well as the rest of the protectors, are Great Beings. While Ekimu used energized protodermis to create protodermis and elemental powers for the Agori, Makuta attempted to take control by using the substance in it's purest form to create an uber-mask.

In the matoran universe, Makuta are known for slowly turning into a strange evil green substance, a virus, and for creating even more evil viruses from that wipe memory and take control of robots. What if the destruction of this Great Being known as Makuta created a pure evil substance-Antidermis-which infected everything he once created, including The Brotherhood of Makuta and the Skull Spiders. Are we witnessing the origin of evil as well as the wiping of the memory of Great Beings, which prevented them from completing their mission to save Spherus Magna?

What if in the original story, the Toa attempted to remerge the mask of time in the city of the Great Beings on the restored Spherus Magna, releasing a burst of time energy sending them back in time to save the Great Beings?

Edited by the last chronicler

I don't see why you guys want two pieces in never seen before colours to be printed, hence massively limiting their reusability. I swear I don't get the massive hate stickers get...

I appreciate the cost-effectiveness of stickers, though I simply wish they were easier to apply properly. As someone who is prone to occasionally obsessing with minute discrepancies, I am sometimes annoyed at being unable to apply one with perfect symmetry (despite the fact that printed pieces, such as minifigure legs, are often asymmetrical.) Obviously, that's a lot to ask for, but I feel that LEGO might at least include extra stickers on a regular basis (as has been done with some sets.) Mind you, I by no means hate stickers, and I'm much better at applying them than I used to be. But I can see why people might not be thrilled by their use.

I do agree that printing on pieces limits their re-usability (though if one is really desperate, one could always remove the printing via certain substances.)

Thank Artakha for that.

Regarding the stickers vs printing debate, I prefer stickers, as it give me the option of doing what I always do: never applying any of them and just keeping pieces actually looking good.

I fell behind on this thread pretty quick, so I'm just gonna touch on a few things:

*I'm sad to hear that pohatu will be trans neon green instead of trans yellow, although I guess it's more useful as far as mocing goes.

*they're giving away solid gold masks!? :drool: I need one. But I don't even wanna know what they'll cost second hand. A gold hau sold for 3,000$! And the platinum mask of light, for 15,000$...

*I like the new heads a lot! And like that the "hit the mask" game is returning.

*as for the whole reboot discussion, honestly, trying to fit all that we know now into the old story somehow could make it a lot more complex than it needs to be. I've come to expect that this is a new story. The old one isn't going anywhere. I can still watch Sam raimi spider man and enjoy the new mark Webb spider man, and I can do the same here.

*that new gear box is pretty awesome too, especially like the LoSS function. I can't say enough about LoSS. :thumbup:

*as for stickers, it bothers me a little, but not enough to criticize the set. (Onua still kicks megablocks)

Now that that's out of the way, I'm looking forward to this wave more than ever! Time to board the hype train once again! Next stop: 2015.

I'm okay with printing and both stickers. But I don't get why they designed there to be one.

The idea about this being a prequel is interesting but I don't see it really happening. But I can get around the idea. Though where are all the glatorians, have they just not (")born(") yet?

This also gives me a sort of feeling that if this was the case then Teridax and Velika must have a connection. When we find out where the toa are crashed from and the temple of time we find out what kind of connection this has.

I can already hear marketing words "Return to save the future!"

Seriously, the quicker we find out. The better. It really isn't than confusing plot point since everyhting that happened in old story can just be skipped with this.

Edited by GK733

#Voriki2015

1) The eyes of Gali, Pohatu, Lewa, and Onua and Pohatu's leg beams are all 49 Transparent Fluorescent Green (Bricklink's Trans-Neon Green), the same color as the promotional Kanohi Miru from 2001 and the classic eye color of Lewa and Nuhvok.

2) Lewa is 37 Bright Green, the same color as the Green Lantern constraction set, not 28 Dark Green (classic green/Mata green) or 119 Bright Yellowish Green (Bricklink's Lime). 29 Medium Green is much lighter and has long been discontinued. It's never been used in constraction sets. Oddly, Lewa's torso pattern DOES use Bright Yellowish Green and Bright Yellow instead of Bright Green and Flame Yellowish Orange.

3) Gali is Dark Azur. Kopaka's chest pattern also includes both Dark Azur and metallic blue printing.

Lewa's axe blades are also Titanium Metallic (gunmetal). Kopaka's shield/ski pieces are white. Other than that, all the weapons that aren't obviously another color like Warm Gold are regular Silver Metallic.

Unfortunately, the event was so hectic and I had so many things to photograph and people to talk to that I didn't get a good look at how the fire protector's back was built!

New in the sense that it hasn't been used for constraction before, but it's 321 Dark Azur (which first appeared in the ADU uniforms from the Alien Conquest theme from 2011).

Thanks a lot!

1)Yeah, I meant that colour. I think it will look ok on Lewa (duh) and Gali, not sure about Pohatu and Onua. And brown, silver and lime is going to look very awkward..I really don't get how they got that combination from. Tr. blue (like the brown Metru Nui sets), tr. light blue or tr. reddish orange (Pohatu's classical eye colour) would've looked better at this point.

2)SWEET! I know some are going to be upset, but as of now there are no CCBS parts in Dark Green (I meant that one but got mixed up, sorry- I always think of Metru Green as Dark Green, but I know that's incorrect), while we already have a decent number of Bright Green elements (the ones from Green Lantern on course, but don't forget Joker's Breakout torso). I'd say this is the best deal we could get. Now, off to regret I never bought Green Lantern. :look:

3)Ah, ok. I would've liked Medium Azure more but this is cool too- we never had Medium Azure shells or Dark Azure bones so there is no overlapping (this way, no parts end up useless, which was the risk with Bright Green). And metallic blue on Kopaka's chest? Nice.

I figured as much, but it's still weird to me that they went their way to recolour Lewa's axes and Kopaka's blades (that creates some variety I guess). Glad the other parts are silver, that will work prefectly with the mods I'm planning for the Toa.

Rant on Turaga below:

The Protectors are the tribal leaders of Okoto and will basically be serving a similar function to the Turaga from 2001 (helping the Toa to understand their quest and sometimes joining them as they search for masks). It doesn't appear that they will be referred to as Turaga, even though the Toa will be referred to as Toa. They appear to be the same species as the regular villagers, but they certainly appear as though they might be. Also, for what it's worth, the Mask Makers Akemu (not sure about spelling) and Makuta were depicted in the "Legend of BIONICLE" video with a similar build to the Protectors.
Glad this is official. I'll say it: I'm glad there are no Turaga this time. As I said a while ago, old and wise Matoran fit the Turaga role just as well.

It might be because I got influenced a bit too much by their movie looks. It might be because I find the idea of tall, relatively young adults (Toa) suddenly turning into small old people who need a stick to walk.. kind of creepy. It might be because their know-everything aura always rubbed me in the wrong way. It might be because I have always disliked the idea of Matoran=kid/teen, Toa= teen/adult and Turaga= old person, striking me as awkward and forced.

But I never liked Turaga very much. I like the idea of wise veteran villagers a lot more, maybe it's because it's closer to how real life old people are.

I appreciate the cost-effectiveness of stickers, though I simply wish they were easier to apply properly. As someone who is prone to occasionally obsessing with minute discrepancies, I am sometimes annoyed at being unable to apply one with perfect symmetry (despite the fact that printed pieces, such as minifigure legs, are often asymmetrical.) Obviously, that's a lot to ask for, but I feel that LEGO might at least include extra stickers on a regular basis (as has been done with some sets.) Mind you, I by no means hate stickers, and I'm much better at applying them than I used to be. But I can see why people might not be thrilled by their use.

I do agree that printing on pieces limits their re-usability (though if one is really desperate, one could always remove the printing via certain substances.)

Thank Artakha for that.

Regarding the stickers vs printing debate, I prefer stickers, as it give me the option of doing what I always do: never applying any of them and just keeping pieces actually looking good.

> 4 years after the reunification of Spherus Magna

> Not accepting Mask Maker Ekimu as your saviour

Jokes aside, this is pretty much my viewpoint on the debate. But I also agree with Quisoves Pugnat, some stickers sheet are a nightmare to apply. It took me almost half an hour to apply Stormer XL's stickers, no kidding. :wacko:

I remember someone mentioned they look like Preston Stormer's helmet, because of the underbite.

Vaguely, I suppose.

I like the design of the heads a great deal. They don't feel as extraordinarily angry as some older heads (the facial expression is ambiguous enough to be read as either an angry pout or a determined grin), they have a good balance between curves and sharper angles, and the proportions are excellent. The curved, pointed jawline does not read as specifically masculine or feminine, the color is great, and they don't have weird facial features like the pursed lips of the Metru head, the four-section mouth of the Toa Mata head, or the skull-like nostrils of the Glatorian head.

These may be the best heads for any constraction theme to date, at least as far as aesthetics are concerned. As building elements they don't measure up to the Brain Attack head with its lack of specific details, useful shape, and many connection points. But perhaps that piece will still be available for uses other than as a head in the future.

I would like to see Transparent Fluorescent Blue and Transparent Fluorescent Reddish Orange eyes for this head in the future. The former is unlikely since the LEGO Group settled on Transparent Light Blue for blue-eyed characters like Tahu and Kopaka, which disappoints me a bit. The latter is VERY likely if we get any evil characters that use this head, since the fiery reddish look really suits evil characters. I'm not the kind of person who believes every character should have a different eye color, but I love fluorescent eye colors and having a range of options, and these three colors make for a very nice RGB trifecta.

Here's my story conspiracy theory: It is sequel set far in the future (Which could include Vahi involvement)

Think about it, you have two brothers, Makuta who puts on the mask of ultimate power and grows into a giant. In order to destroy that ultimate power, Ekimu smashes Makuta in the face; causing them both to collapse into sleep, which sends a shockwave across the land as if two giant robots fell onto the land.

Maybe Lego used Ekimo to help hide the story, it could be the name of the prototype robot or something. Maybe the mask of creation got mixed in because it is the only thing that can restore Mata Nui/Ekimo.

The mask of ultimate power is really the MU.

To add to that, the mask of control could be the source of Makuta's power over the virus.

An even crazier but more exciting plot, since the Vahi can only send you through time but not into alternate universes, is that the story is set in the past of the current story.

What if Makuta is called Makuta over Teridax because he isn't Teridax at all.

In the legend we have two creator beings, dabbling with pure elemental magical energies which keep the world in balance, to create the most powerful objects seen in the Matoran universe. Ekimo provided masks, elements, to the people.

Jealous of the power Ekimo gave to the people, Makuta extracts the elemental powers to create the ultimate mask, but it stealing this pure magical substance the world looses balance and shatters, leaving the world broken. Makuta lost control to this evil mask, whose dark powers corrupted everything he ever created or controlled.

As depicted in the video, all that remains of Makuta and Ekimo are giant craters, suspiciously like those created by the separation of two large moons.

Here's my theory:

Ekimo and Makuta, as well as the rest of the protectors, are Great Beings. While Ekimu used energized protodermis to create protodermis and elemental powers for the Agori, Makuta attempted to take control by using the substance in it's purest form to create an uber-mask.

In the matoran universe, Makuta are known for slowly turning into a strange evil green substance, a virus, and for creating even more evil viruses from that wipe memory and take control of robots. What if the destruction of this Great Being known as Makuta created a pure evil substance-Antidermis-which infected everything he once created, including The Brotherhood of Makuta and the Skull Spiders. Are we witnessing the origin of evil as well as the wiping of the memory of Great Beings, which prevented them from completing their mission to save Spherus Magna?

What if in the original story, the Toa attempted to remerge the mask of time in the city of the Great Beings on the restored Spherus Magna, releasing a burst of time energy sending them back in time to save the Great Beings?

Wow... I can actually see this happening... Although LEGO would have to explain A LOT to the new audience of how this ties in with the old universe... But a Great Being named Makuta I can see, they could have named the Brotherhood of Makuta in the Matoran Universe in honor of this Great Being...

I fell behind on this thread pretty quick, so I'm just gonna touch on a few things:

*I'm sad to hear that pohatu will be trans neon green instead of trans yellow, although I guess it's more useful as far as mocing goes.

*they're giving away solid gold masks!? :drool: I need one. But I don't even wanna know what they'll cost second hand. A gold hau sold for 3,000$! And the platinum mask of light, for 15,000$...

*I like the new heads a lot! And like that the "hit the mask" game is returning.

*as for the whole reboot discussion, honestly, trying to fit all that we know now into the old story somehow could make it a lot more complex than it needs to be. I've come to expect that this is a new story. The old one isn't going anywhere. I can still watch Sam raimi spider man and enjoy the new mark Webb spider man, and I can do the same here.

*that new gear box is pretty awesome too, especially like the LoSS function. I can't say enough about LoSS. :thumbup:

*as for stickers, it bothers me a little, but not enough to criticize the set. (Onua still kicks megablocks)

Now that that's out of the way, I'm looking forward to this wave more than ever! Time to board the hype train once again! Next stop: 2015.

I can see some crazy collector buying the solid gold masks from someone at an inordinate amount in a few years like the platinum avokhii...

Erland

Part Design

I assume the outward physical appearance of the mask will remain the same but the side connectors will be modified and changed granting that the official images of these masks don't really show much of the side connections or back at all...

The new head looks great, mainly because it doesn't need an attachment point on the front, as well as the fact that it isn't completely translucent.

I really like the new head but the brain/eye thingy being wobbly is kinda unnecessary. Especially if the masks are so easy to pop off even without them.